NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nations Warships, MKII

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:18 pm

Triplebaconation wrote:How are current OTHR beams steered?

According to this: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a261727.pdf

Beam steering is achieved, for the OTH radar, by adding a linearly increasing phase
delay to the digitized output of each receiving element of the array as a function of
the distance each element is from the end of the array. Since the signals out of the
elemental receivers are stored in the computer, different steer directions can be
accomplished at the same time. In fact, three receive beams spaced 5' apart are
generated for each steered position of the 7.5' transmit beam. This speeds the
scanning time of the radar by a factor of three but at the expense of increased
processing capability, i.e., to be able to process the signals from the three adjacent beams simultaneously. Boresight, for the "broad side" arrays used in the OTH-B
radar systems, is the direction perpendicular to the axis of the linear array. The
above equation shows that as the array aperture (total length of the array) Nd,
increases, the half power beamwidth decreases.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:22 pm

Lamoni wrote:
Triplebaconation wrote:How are current OTHR beams steered?

According to this: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a261727.pdf

Beam steering is achieved, for the OTH radar, by adding a linearly increasing phase
delay to the digitized output of each receiving element of the array as a function of
the distance each element is from the end of the array. Since the signals out of the
elemental receivers are stored in the computer, different steer directions can be
accomplished at the same time. In fact, three receive beams spaced 5' apart are
generated for each steered position of the 7.5' transmit beam. This speeds the
scanning time of the radar by a factor of three but at the expense of increased
processing capability, i.e., to be able to process the signals from the three adjacent beams simultaneously. Boresight, for the "broad side" arrays used in the OTH-B
radar systems, is the direction perpendicular to the axis of the linear array. The
above equation shows that as the array aperture (total length of the array) Nd,
increases, the half power beamwidth decreases.

It was a rhetorical question. OTHR beams are steered electronically.
Last edited by Triplebaconation on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Lamoni » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:25 pm

Triplebaconation wrote:

I posted that, because I didn't think that everyone knew that.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

United Allied Earth Federation
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2014

Postby United Allied Earth Federation » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:28 pm

I'm just gonna ask maybe a very stupid question, but would it be practical to put a uninsulated nuclear reactor on a ship about the size of a battleship? Obviously the ship would have to be unmanned but I was looking for other problems than that.
"Focused On Only The Best"
United Allied Earth Federation, Supreme President John Parkerson, City Of Terranova, The Chateau Of Liberty.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Official Member of the Universal Technology Alliance!
Proud Member of the Pacific Cooperation Pact
Proud Member of the Coalition of Religious Nations.
⚛ Proud member of the Coalition for Nuclear Prosperity! ⚛
The South Pacific
Member Of The United Christian Alliance
Proud Founder Of The International United Defense Coalition
Proud Member Of IU/ICoN
Member Of The IFC
English:
---
https://www.change.org /p/全日本空手道連盟-空手道の2020年東京オリンピック正式種目採用を希望し
ます -karate-into- the-olympics-2020?lang=en-US

Triplebaconation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:37 pm

Lamoni wrote:
Triplebaconation wrote:

I posted that, because I didn't think that everyone knew that.

It should be obvious - the antennas are stationary.

Full details can be found in Fabrizio. Kolosov is good and readily available, but less comprehensive. Lyras is just making stuff up to justify Isselmere's ship.

Lyras
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyras » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:43 pm

The point I was making is that its easier with three arms of antennas than with six. Fewer variables. But you know that, TBN. I have long argued that its doable, and whenever I explain how any particular element fits the criteria, the goalposts shift.

Its getting highly irritating.
Mokastana: Then Lyras happened.

Allanea: Wanting to avoid fighting Lyras' fuck-huge military is also a reasonable IC consideration

TPF: Who is stupid enough to attack a Lyran convoy?

Sumer: Honestly, I'd rather face Doom's military with Doom having a 3-1 advantage over me, than take a 1-1 fight with a well-supplied Lyran tank unit.

Kinsgard: RL Lyras is like a real life video game character.

Ieperithem: Eighty four. Eighty four percent of their terrifyingly massive GDP goes directly into their military. And they actually know how to manage it. It's safe to say there isn't a single nation that could feasibly stand against them if they wanted it to die.
Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Lyran Arms - Lambda Financial - Foreign Holdings - Tracker - Photo - OOC sentiments

Triplebaconation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:51 pm

The goalposts shift because you're making stuff up as you go along.

"It's also not electronically steered," and "land-based systems sprawl at least partly because it makes maintenance easier, and saves the computational pain-in-the-arse that is doing beam guidance electronically" becomes it's easier with three arms than six when Lamoni contradicts you. I don't even know where the goalposts are anymore.
Last edited by Triplebaconation on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lyras
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyras » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:00 pm

TBN, when we explain something for the purpose of establishing that its doable according to conventional technology and collective humanity's knowledge, for use in this text-based roleplay game, there's only so far I/we are going to go.

TLDR: A big enough ship can mount an OTH radar, co-locating transmitter and receiver.

Allanea: Wanting to avoid fighting Lyras' fuck-huge military is also a reasonable IC consideration

Sumer: Honestly, I'd rather face Doom's military with Doom having a 3-1 advantage over me, than take a 1-1 fight with a well-supplied Lyran tank unit.

Ieperithem: Eighty four. Eighty four percent of their terrifyingly massive GDP goes directly into their military. And they actually know how to manage it. It's safe to say there isn't a single nation that could feasibly stand against them if they wanted it to die.
Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Lyran Arms - Lambda Financial - Foreign Holdings - Tracker - Photo - OOC sentiments

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:15 pm

Lyras wrote:TBN, when we explain something for the purpose of establishing that its doable according to conventional technology and collective humanity's knowledge, for use in this text-based roleplay game, there's only so far I/we are going to go.

TLDR: A big enough ship can mount an OTH radar, co-locating transmitter and receiver.

How big is big enough?

As an example, Duga-3's transmitter array is about 60 metres wide, and 770 metres long. Main array 450 metres.

It has an ionospheric measuring station colocated, about 1750 metres to the southeast.

The receiver, located no less than about 57500 metres northwest, would make any self-contained OTH ship with a range and capability similar to Duga-3 impossible. Since you'd need a ship sixty kilometres long, and we've established problems with ships one sixtieth of said length. The longest existing ship is 488 metres long, MAYBE enough to fit the main array of the Duga-3 on. Then we need to remember that said transmitter had 10MWe isotropic radiated power. That requires a fairly large power plant in the ship. While the largest Wartsila is capable of providing eight times that power on the shaft, you have to take into account that that power also goes toward making the ship move.

You won't colocate transmitter and receiver. Not reasonably.
this guy is a fucking furry and a therian
Btw, here's my IC flag

"Purp go to bed." - Nirvash Type TheEnd

Triplebaconation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:19 pm

Yukonastan wrote:
Lyras wrote:TBN, when we explain something for the purpose of establishing that its doable according to conventional technology and collective humanity's knowledge, for use in this text-based roleplay game, there's only so far I/we are going to go.

How big is big enough?

As an example, Duga-3's transmitter array is about 60 metres wide, and 770 metres long. Main array 450 metres.

It has an ionospheric measuring station colocated, about 1750 metres to the southeast.

The receiver, located no less than about 57500 metres northwest, would make any self-contained OTH ship with a range and capability similar to Duga-3 impossible. Since you'd need a ship sixty kilometres long, and we've established problems with ships one sixtieth of said length. The longest existing ship is 488 metres long, MAYBE enough to fit the main array of the Duga-3 on. Then we need to remember that said transmitter had 10MWe isotropic radiated power. That requires a fairly large power plant in the ship. While the largest Wartsila is capable of providing eight times that power on the shaft, you have to take into account that that power also goes toward making the ship move.

This kind of argument by analogy is responsible for the Longsword in the first place. It's far better to understand at least the basic principles.

The Longsword was originally designed to shoot lots of missiles. When it was pointed out how inefficient it was, the OTHR was emphasized. People that used to it shoot lots of missiles were "using it incorrectly." But since the OTHR was originally just a throwaway line in a statblock, Lyras can't give hard information. Q: "Just where is the antenna exactly???" A: "There's only so far I/we are going to go. TLDR; It works because I say it does."
Last edited by Triplebaconation on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:21 pm

United Allied Earth Federation wrote:I'm just gonna ask maybe a very stupid question, but would it be practical to put a uninsulated nuclear reactor on a ship about the size of a battleship? Obviously the ship would have to be unmanned but I was looking for other problems than that.

While this was for an aerospace project, it should be fairly clear why it can't be expected to be practical in any way.

Triplebaconation wrote:
Yukonastan wrote:
*snip*

This kind of argument by analogy is responsible for the Longsword in the first place. It's far better to understand at least the basic principles.

Point is, a fairly large OTH array still requires a vast ship. It'd be the tallest modern ship ever, at the very least. The longest too. To recap, longest ship
Then there's synchronisation between transmitter and receiver, which are separate ships about sixty kilometres apart. Doable, but fairly difficult.
Along with that comes the fact that ships supporting OTH arrays have to be at anchor to make the most use of 'em.

In regards to the Onera NOSTRADAMUS: Good luck fitting that on anything less than a massive drilling rig.

From what I've been able to find, 288 antennas, for 96 per arm, for three star arms, at 120º offset angles. From quick measurements, I found that each arm is around 350 metres long. About 670 metres side length for an equilateral triangle.

That'd be a platform larger than the largest ship.

Largest oil rig at this time is the Berkut oil rig, 100x133 metres. You'll need a vastly bigger oil rig, I'm afraid.
Last edited by Yukonastan on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Btw, here's my IC flag

Lyras
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyras » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:29 pm

We've established that Nostradamus co-locates transmitters and receivers, proving concept. I'm sure I just indicated this.

Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Triplebaconation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:07 pm

Where is the antenna array?

The Predator Federation
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Predator Federation » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:10 pm

Here, my factbook
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=the_ ... /id=252737
*Drops it on table*
TG Me, I love telegrams #GamerGate
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:10 pm

Triplebaconation wrote:Where is the antenna array?

I posted coordinates for the Nostradamus array over on the realism thread. Beware that they're VERY hard to see on google maps, because they're so thin.
This marks the site's location better, it's that sandy cross. Co-ordinates are at the exact centre of that cross, if you check the realism thread.
Last edited by Yukonastan on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Btw, here's my IC flag

Triplebaconation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:15 pm

Yukonastan wrote:
Triplebaconation wrote:Where is the antenna array?

I posted coordinates for the Nostradamus array over on the realism thread. Beware that they're VERY hard to see on google maps, because they're so thin.
This marks the site's location better, it's that sandy cross. Co-ordinates are at the exact centre of that cross, if you check the realism thread.

What exactly does this have to do with the Longsword?

It's a very basic question about the ship, and one that's never been answered. Where is the antenna?

The Predator Federation
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Predator Federation » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:16 pm

How many ASMs does it take to take down a ship?

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Triplebaconation wrote:
Yukonastan wrote:
(Image)

It's a very basic question about the ship, and one that's never been answered. Where is the antenna?

Longsword's an OTH carrier (apparently) so I share your confusion about the antenna being invisible.

Considering that the Longsword apparently uses a colocated transmitter/receiver installation, Nostradamus is the most similar.
Last edited by Yukonastan on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Btw, here's my IC flag

The Predator Federation
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Predator Federation » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Triplebaconation wrote:
Yukonastan wrote:

Ooh can I guess? Uh.. is it a SPQ Radar?

The Predator Federation
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Predator Federation » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:22 pm

Can your ships fit AH-1Zs or KA-52Ks?

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:24 pm

The Predator Federation wrote:
Triplebaconation wrote:

Ooh can I guess? Uh.. is it a SPQ Radar?

Wrong. It's an OTH radar.

As for AShMs required to take out a ship, HMS Sheffield was struck by a single Exocet which didn't even explode.
She did take six says before she sank, however.
Btw, here's my IC flag

The Predator Federation
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Predator Federation » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:28 pm

Yukonastan wrote:
The Predator Federation wrote:Ooh can I guess? Uh.. is it a SPQ Radar?

Wrong. It's an OTH radar.

As for AShMs required to take out a ship, HMS Sheffield was struck by a single Exocet which didn't even explode.
She did take six says before she sank, however.

Lessons from the falklands war I see.
The sea apache would have been a ships terror but it was cancelled. Oh well AH-1Zs or in Russian ventures, KA-52Ks can do the job.
Or an F/A-18E carrying AGM-84s.

Lyras
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyras » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:32 pm

Amidships, behind the bridge. Lineart needs work, but thats another matter. Will update it some stage.

Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Triplebaconation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:36 pm

So less than 200m in diameter now that it's a circular array?

Connori Pilgrims
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 14, 2012

Postby Connori Pilgrims » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:39 pm

The Predator Federation wrote:How many ASMs does it take to take down a ship?

That would depend on the type of ship, the type of missile, where in the ship you hit it, and how bad/good damage control is.

During Operation Praying Mantis 1988, the Iranian frigate Sahand took 3 Harpoons, 4 Skippers, a Walleye and some 1000lb-er bombs. Crippled and damaged and listing, but did not go down until the resultant fires hit the magazines causing it to blow up.

More recently, the Israeli corvette Hanit got hit by a C-802 missile which AFAIK did blow up, but survived and was repaired.

The Predator Federation wrote:The sea apache would have been a ships terror but it was cancelled. Oh well AH-1Zs or in Russian ventures, KA-52Ks can do the job.

Unless those ATGMs they carry can cause fires or hit an ammo magazine, nope they wont be much of a terror. Hell that assumes they can even get close to a modern warship with the proper SAMs before they get pasted out of the sky giving the ship free kills.

F-18s with proper AShMs have a far far better chance of success.
LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR YOU. HATE.

Overview of the United Provinces of Connorianople (MT)
FT - United Worlds of Connorianople/The Connori Pilgrims
MT-PMT - United Provinces of Connorianople
PT (19th-Mid-20th Century) - Republic of Connorianople/United States of America (1939 World of Tomorrow RP)
FanT - The Imperium Fremen

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information