NATION

PASSWORD

Den Konstitution - A Reliable Newspaper from Luziyca

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:00 pm

EU to suspend Sakatian membership

Headquarters of the Esquarian Union

BETHLEHEM, F.C. - Today, the top bureaucrats of the Esquarian Union have decided that "due to the suppression of democracy within the Sakatian nation," Sakatian membership within the EU will be suspended indefinitely until "the members of the Sakatian Parliament from the Liberal Party be released."

State media said that the Liberal Party "expressed support for the recent riots in Sakatia, with several MPs, all of whom were detained, were spotted participating in violence." 28 MPs from the Liberal Party are detained, their party headquarters, as well as the party offices have been confiscated, and all 13,000 members of the party are to be investigated for connections to terrorism.

The Luziycan delegate to the Esquarian Commission, Jennifer Molander said that "this mass-arrest of opposition MPs seems quite suspicious, and it seems like this anti-terrorist measure that the SGB are undergoing right now is a cover to suppress Liberal opposition and ensure the dominance the United Sakatia Party. Such methods are not acceptable within the Esquarian Union, and only when these MPs are released shall Sakatia have their full membership rights restored."

In essence, Sakatia will be unable to vote in Congress (though a non-voting delegate, like an observer is permitted), nor take part in Esquarian Commission meetings. They may appeal to the Supreme Court regarding this decision, and they can still participate in the Greenwich Area, although nations in the EU can treat suspended members as other foreign nationals.

In other news
  • Arnborg - Borghild police department crushes peaceful protest against Nevan's continued NOSDO membership
  • Uguria - Namotown catches fire, officials suspect gas leak
  • Atlantia - Increased critcism of royal family in Atlantia
  • Katranjiev - Avalanche kills 3 people, sends 19 to hospital
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:25 am

Protests break out in the AFS of Karenytenia
Protest in Melyn

MELYN (KREPOST SLAVA), KARENYTENIA - Yesterday, twenty thousand people gathered in the capital of Karenytenia to protest Luziycan rule over the Associated Free State that began on the twenty-fifth of April this year after a free and fair referendum that saw 77.77% vote yes to join Luziyca, with 22.22% opposing, with a "very high" turnout.

Organizer of the protests, Leonard Puy said that "the continued Luziycan domination over this territory will give long-term consequences to Karenytenia and Karenytenians as a whole: what was once a prosperous democratic country was couped by a Luziycan-backed dictator who then submitted us to Luziycan imperialism, so our culture is about to disappear and our ways of life gone forever." When asked whether he prefers Luziyca or Iglesiantis, Puy said that "Well, my name is Iglesian, I suppose... I don't like either imperialism, but I think... well... it seems Iglesians had made a better life for those native Karenytenians, I think... I don't really have a preferred option. Either way, we must fight imperialism. But the current imperialism of Breuvi Shjoraski is what made our lives the way they are now: people striking and getting more and more hungry, less food, less water, less basic needs... basically, we are a country destroyed by Luziyca's imperialistic greed."

So far, 20 people have been killed, 130 have been injured, and 700 arrested by the local police, and there has been no comment from federal officials.

In other news
  • Esquarian Union - Sakatian membership restored after MPs released
  • Arnborg - Gudmund declares "the door to adopt our ways has closed long ago, it shall never reopen!"
  • Qianrong - NSF suppresses protests, UDC vows to continue the fight
  • Diadochia - Golden Jubilee set to occur to celebrate 50 years of Nikolas VI's reign
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:15 pm

"Nantai is culturally Namorese," declares Kung Alicia
Kung Alicia in her second inauguration ceremony in 2012

KENYEN, NANTAI - At a press conference in Kenyen, in light of the campaign speech made by the candidate of Namor in their elections in Po'ai by Shohai Antelope, Chief Executive Kung Alicia made an important announcement related to the declaration made by Shohai that "When that day will come is a question that should be left for the future generation to solve, but let's be honest with ourselves - it's going to come and we haven't much time left. It's inevitable, though," in a speech just east of the Central Avenue Port of Entry, the eastern terminus for Highway 3.

In response, Kung Alicia declared that "Nantai is what the top officials in the country consider to be Namorese territory under Luziycan administration. However, what it truly means is that it is recognized as culturally Namorese territory under our control. It does not mean that Nantai will reunite with Namor. To the contrary, while some people support it, the truth is that many Nantainese, both Luziycan and Namorese have time and time again supported Luziycan control."

She said that "us Nantainese defended Nantai in the Third Namo-Luziycan War with fierce determination, and we prevented the Namorese from taking our territory. We have developed one of the highest standards of living in all of Luziyca, and we should realize that even if the Namorese begged us, kajoled us and tried to persuade us to returning to their arms, we ought to remember that the process of integration would be more of a challenge than what Namor already has with Peitoa."

Kung then announced, "Therefore, to the demands that Namor has for us Nantainese, we can reassure you: na, doshe (No thank you)."

"The only acceptable solution is for a referendum to take place in all of Nantai to determine whether it should stay Luziycan, join Namor, or become a sovereign nation," she said. "It should be monitored by Luziyca, Namor, and a third neutral country, so to corroborate the results. Only if the referendum is held and the results respected shall we put this dispute to rest, for if we let this dispute fester, we will have another war with Namor over this piece of land."

In other news
  • Gijirokastra - Rassvet 7.0 to be shown at technology fair
  • Tuthina - Murakami starts to build warships for Triumvirate
  • Michillies - Electoral act reform passed by the National Assembly
  • Bethlehem, F.C. - Legislation tabled by Rep. urging the President to offer negotiations for Geadland to join the Greenwich Area

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:03 pm

"The people's wishes are more important than what Namo wants," declares Kung Alicia
Kung Alicia at the press conference

PO'AI, NANTAI - After the press conference in Kenyen, Chief Executive Kung Alicia visited Po'ai, where she visited the main Txoist temple, the church, as well as attended celebrations for Hanukkah by the small Jewish community in the city. But the main event was on Central Avenue, where just west of the border crossing, she organized a speech. Loudspeakers were used so crowds on the other side can hear what she has to say.

Kung started off with, "Dear people of Nantai. In recent days, I have heard the response that my speech has generated across the world, especially in Namor. Thus, I shall clarify my stances."

"Firstly," she remarked, "to those who think I am disregarding my countrymen, I am not. I may be Kannei, but I respect all of my countrymen: Luziycans, Swedes, Lombardians, Geads, as well as many others who may live in this free nation. I respect all citizens of my country and I also respect all those people within Namor. But in my opinion, countrymen refers to the people that you live alongside, who have the same nationality, and in this case, I am not disregarding my countrymen, whether my homeland, Luziyca, or the land of our ancient culture, Namor."

"Secondly," Kung said, "we are not trying to provoke things. Sure, it may seem provocative, but so was Shohai's visit to the Namorese city of East Po'ai." She declared "If that statement that I said about unification was provocative, well, it does not mean that we will reunite with Namor right now. As far as I know, I don't see Nantai reuniting with Namor within my lifetime, or even that of my children, or my children's children. It may happen in the distant future, but certainly not today, nor tomorrow, or next year. I may see it in the next century, or even millennium, but I doubt we will truly reunite."

"Thirdly," Kung declared, directing it to Peng Kang, "What I mean by Namor is the government currently in power. If they want to attack us, go ahead. We will see what happens when they take Nantai: the people in Nantai shall resist like in the Third Namo-Luziycan War. I am Kannei Namorese, but I was born in Luziyca, and shall die in Luziyca."

She then said that "Nantai may have occupied by the Luziycans, but we, the Nantainese, have developed our own distinct identity, and considering the troubles that Peitoa is having with reintegrating with Namor, it will be a greater struggle to reintegrate Nantai with Namor. However, we will interact with our fellow brothers and sisters on the Namorese side, and we ought to do that more often."

Continuing, she remarked that "We have been separated since 1898, and no matter what the government (of Namor) wants, only a popular referendum, voted by upon by all the people in Nantai shall determine whether this land, Nantai, shall go to Namor, stay with us, or become sovereign."

Concluding her speech, she declared "If Namor does not agree to a referendum in Nantai, that is monitored by both Namor, Luziycan, and a third party, then Nantai shall not return to Namorese rule, for what the people of this territory wants is more important than what the people in Namo want."

Kung Alicia's speech spawned many comments around Luziycan social media. President Shjoraski tweeted that "detente is in the best interests of the people, but maybe Kung took her words too far." Sera Svensson of the Liberal Party criticized Kung's speech, with Sera stating that "This speech is unacceptable and is incredibly provocative to the government in Namo."

It also sparked protests: in Kenyen, 25,000 people marched, chanting "NA, DOSHE," and demanding that Namor renounce their claim over Nantai, with drumming, singing, and signs. In Po'ai, 12,500 attended the speech on the western side, many supporting Kung Alicia and protesting against Namorese irridentism over Nantai. There were some counter-protests in those cities. Other protests happened in Vesterhag, Bethlehem, Jerusalem, Yerevan, Semprihevosk, and Gijirokastra to name a few.

A man from Eastern Po'ai said that "I have came over to see what she had to say. While I disagree with her on most of the points, I personally think a referendum is in the best interests to solve the problem in Nantai."

Opinion polls showed that 78% of Nantainese support the status quo, 8% support joining Namor, 3% support independence, and the remainder are undecided.

In other news
  • Firenze - Fire burns down boarding home, 8 Shudri children killed, 12 Shudri injured
  • Nevanmaa - National Coalition wins elections, government formation to take place
  • Arnborg - Riots break out in Doval, 29 dead, 294 injured, 2,105 arrested
  • Kraq - al-Jegria on the verge of being taken over by Kraqi government, Shjoraski plans to fund Kraqi government
Last edited by Luziyca on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:41 pm

Shjoraski to Namo "detente is still feasible"
Shjoraski in Bethlehem

BETHLEHEM, F.C. - With news spreading of the statements by Kung Alicia and the "war of words" between Namo and Kenyen, which may very well cost Fu Wen the election across the border in Namor, Shjoraski decided to hold a press conference in Bethlehem regarding that Namo-Luziycan situation, among other things.

Shjoraski said that "Detente is facing its first major test, one that may affect the course of history and relations between our two great nations. We wish to reassure the Namorese government, that despite the statements made by the Chief Executive of the constituent republic of Nantai, we are willing to negotiate over Nantai. I believe that a referendum regarding the status of Nantai, or at least another summit related to Nantai is still possible, and the statements by Kung Alicia regarding Nantai won't change that."

He continued, "In my opinion, I think Kung Alicia is fear-mongering, to conduct a propaganda war against Namor, or at the very least, to try and make Shohai Antelope look bad. It is clearly not working, and while she does have freedom of speech, as the head of a region of Luziyca, she has that obligation to not make such crass statements."

Shjoraski then concluded, "Thus, I wish that over the Christmas season, we will get over this. As election day draws near for Namor, we wish them luck, and may they choose the right person to make Namor strong and free."

Despite that, in many areas of Nantai, many stated their opposition to reuniting with Namor. Kung Alicia immediately apologized on Twitter for "any remarks I have said offending the Namorese government, though it should be up to the people in Nantai to decide."

More as the story develops.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:14 pm

Fu wins President-General election for second term
Fu Wen after the summit with Shjoraski in Namo

NAMO, NAMOR - With a 63.64% turnout, Fu Wen was elected with a very slim majority, at 51.79% of the total votes cast in the election, ahead of Shohai Antelope at 41.94%, Kuo at 4.97%, and the remainder at 1.29%, with 0.01% casting blank or invalid ballots. However, PTH noted a case of hacking of its website, resulting in the publication of incorrect results. As of right now, the PTH website is undergoing semi-maintenance, though the articles are viewable again after around ten minutes.

President-General Fu Wen was standing outside the Executive House in the Namorese capital when the results were announced on Namorese television and radio. He quickly gave his victory speech in which he congratulated both Shohai Antelope and Kuo Zhang for their hard-fought campaigns and thanked the Namorese for "sticking with the right choice," telling the country to "keep doing business."

In Bethlehem, many politicians breathed a sigh of relief. President Breuvi Shjoraski sent a tweet congratulating Fu Wen for "winning the election" and wished him "good luck" to serve as President-General. Other party leaders have sent similar tweets, and Shjoraski declared that "we shall continue the course that we are going," ensuring that detente will remain official policy.

In Nantai, Kung Alicia stated that "I am looking forward to seeing Fu be re-elected: I have sincere hopes that to quote Ikmann, 'they (the Namorese) argue that Nantai should be returned to Namor regardless of what its inhabitants think,' and that 'If the Namorese government wants to get Nantai to join, they need to connect with us Nantainese.' I doubt that despite what many people, especially Kuo thinks, Nantainese will change their opinions overnight: it will take many years, but ultimately, I think that the situation here can only be settled by letting the people in Nantai make their own decision about whether to stay with Luziyca or join Namor."

When news of the hacking emerged, an anonymous CIA agent declared that "the hacking of the website of PTH was completely despicable, and attempted to trick the viewer into believing that Kuo had won. We believe that either INTERPROS, or an organization inspired by it that is homegrown inside Namor is responsible for this attack on the website, and we feel that these people seek to try and suppress information for their own gains: it will not work, and it is uncivilized."

Others were more amused: Vladimir Bayner posted on Facebook: "PTH staff should learn that password is not a good password, and update their security system from the 1980s. Even their look is dated: they need to update it."

For more information, click here.

In other news
  • Pavonistade - INTERPROS admits responsibility for hacking Qianrongese media
  • Vespia - Priest-Emperor Jeriho I ascends the throne in a coronation ceremony
  • Odissia - Democratic Alliance and Rally for the Republic reaffirm pact against the governing Party for Freedom and Justice
  • Tuthina - More relief aid to be sent to Uguria from Tuthina

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:51 pm

Exclusive interview: Mikhail Shumev
Mikhail Shumev, leader of the Otekian People's Association.

FRONTIERSBURG, UPPER YORK - Today, Mikhail Shumev, chairman of the OPA has agreed to be interviewed to discuss recent issues, not just in Oteki, but the whole world, notably with the cyberattacks on various news outlets, such as PTH, the National Report, and Radio Free Qianrong. Thus, one of our correspondents has agreed to ask him his viewpoints.

"What is your opinion regarding the cyberattacks on PTH by the Otekian Truth Brigades?"

Shumev replied, "It is absolutely counterproductive: what is the use of trying to suppress information? Sure, those fellows may think that they are being brainwashed by Namor, and I respect their opinions, but I think all efforts to try and keep fighting an insurgency or a war, even in cyberspace is utterly futile in the long run: we will have a lot to lose if we go down that path, mainly our respect and reputation. Thus, I feel that we need to co-operate with the authorities and get things done. Likewise, I think that the government that currently rules Oteki should drop that lawsuit against Radio Free Qianrong."

"Speaking of that, how do you feel of Fu Wen's re-election?"
"I am not surprised, but in a way, I feel quite pleased. I can imagine that detente shall continue as is, and considering the impressive results made in that summit over trade and Nantai, I won't be surprised if he reduces his suspicions on us Otekians and at least give us as an opportunity to discuss Oteki, in a heart-to-heart chat."

"With the violence in Oteki following the shooting of Feliks Oleg, what do you feel is your opinion on that?"
"In a way, I am not really all that surprised. Chiang Vei was likely to not get imprisoned: you see, in some parts of the country, the gypsies (Shudri) experience heavy police brutality, and the police officers usually get off scotch-free. I feel that the death of Feliks Oleg was unjustified, since while he did not comply to having to present his ID, he was turning his back and seemed to be obeying orders by the police. The violence was unfortunate, and I think the main issue is that the Otekians feel that they cannot address their grievances, since they feel that the Namorese don't care about them."

"Indeed. I have just heard that the OPA has officially repudiated the idea of independence altogether."
"Yes, we have about a week or so ago," Shumev remarked. "We have decided that the Otekian People's Association should focus on these following points: firstly, that we campaign to either keep the autonomy, or have devomax: essentially that Oteki is in charge of all affairs, save for monetary affairs, border patrol, foreign affairs, defense, and essential social services provided to all of Namor. Secondly, we seek to discourage extremism and terrorism among Otekians, and co-operate with authorities in Namor, as well as in Luziyca to deal with issues regarding Oteki. Finally, we plan in the new year to try and get a permit to operate in Oteki or Txotai so to hear the grievances of the people, whether Kannei, Geads, or Slavic, and try to persuade Namo to address these grievances."

"Finally, Mr. Shumev, do you agree with what Josef Bloom has said on the situation with the lawsuit?"
"I do, yes. I think that RFQ didn't deserve that ₤2.5 million lawsuit brought against them. I especially agree with a quote that they put on there by Peter Irskirke: 'The most important right of all is the right to say what the majority do not want to hear.' They should not be silenced, but at the same time, I think that the Kannei who arrived here in Oteki are here to stay: we should not expel the Kannei or Geads just to make a state for ourselves. We ought to co-operate with them and form a community association, to have some sort of 'pålderhaid' and tolerate the presence of the Kannei, the Otekians, and the Geads. Only then could Oteki be at peace."

In other news
  • Qianrong - INTERPROS hacks Radio Free Qianrong
  • Namor - PTH hacked by Otekian Truth Brigades
  • Francilie - President Edouard Lenet resigns due to lung cancer
  • Geadland - 30,000 protest "floor tax" which will remove those lazy welfare queens

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:34 pm

(Dec. 24, 2014 edition)

Otekian People's Association and Upper York State Police announce arrest of last holdout, OPA to withdraw from the GiE
Mikhail Shumev, leader of the Otekian People's Association.

FRONTIERSBURG, UPPER YORK - Earlier today, the superintendent for the Upper York State Police, Paul Pantejmonov and Mikhail Shumev of the Otekian People's Association announced in a joint press conference that the last holdout of the Knights of Saint Luther has been captured out of the 16 that were wanted in March 2014. In addition, they have announced that the OPA will withdraw from the government-in-exile, and that all weapons have been turned in.

Paul Pantejmonov said that "Earlier this morning, just 11 km west of Frontiersburg, we have captured the very last holdout of the Knights of Saint Luther, who surrendered to the police. His name is George Antonov and he is middle-aged and is in his 40s. He's currently in custody and awaiting trial. With that, the Knights are essentially an extinct organization in its original incarnation." Met with applause, the chief continued on, saying that "There may be a few more holdouts, but he is the last one to have any major involvement in terrorist attacks in Oteki."

However, the next announcement shocked many: Mikhail Shumev announced that "the OPA shall withdraw from the government-in-exile in the new year." When asked why, Shumev replied, "For a long time, we have thought the government-in-exile would help prepare for a third Republic. However, we can no longer sit around discussing our country but doing nothing: we need to do something in Oteki, to give all the people in Oteki a chance to share their grievances. This step is a move from shedding away our image as a party advocating sovereignty, towards that of a community organization representing all people in the spirit of 'pålderhaid,' regardless of race, sex, or creed. Our aim is to ensure that we become more of a community organization to better benefit all people: to this end, we have enacted reforms to the administrative structure, with a Board of Directors to have 30 people, 10 of whom are Otekians, 10 of whom are Kannei Namorese, and 10 being Geads with ties to the region, who can elect the Chairman, who appoints the Chief Financial Officer, and the Secretary, with only one person of each ethnic group represented in the top three positions, that is, if one Otekian holds CFO, no other ethnic Otekians could hold any position: the other two groups must have the other two positions. This optimal position will ensure that each group who plays a big role in Otekian culture has a say and a method to express their grievances." The reforms also showcased the abolition of all vestiges of the militaristic structure that was inherited from the Knights, as well as renouncing the doctrines of the Knights, from the racist doctrines that were "outdated, exclusionary and damaging to our reputation," up to the religious doctrines advocating that it be a theocracy, declaring it to be "completely secular."

However, Shumev said that "all members of the OPA in the government-in-exile need to either form their own political party, join an existing party, or sit as independent representatives no latter than June 25th, 2015." Finally, he concluded with "When the OPA adopts the reforms in the new year, I shall refuse to be in any of the three positions: somebody else can do it, and ideally, it'd either be Namorese or Geadish, for I want to see fresh blood in the OPA."

Then the police chief showed a video presentation, saying that "over the past year, the OPA has sent all of their arms, even those that they claim that they will use in self-defense, to the police and bomb disposal teams for destruction." The video showed scenes of OPA members handing weapons used under the era of the Knights of Saint Luther to the police. The bombs that the OPA had were blown up at the bomb range while they showed footage of the guns being disassembled. He said the "program cost about a few million lira, but it is worth the price to ensure that the OPA do not pose a threat to anyone: neither our police, the Luziycan government, and the Namorese government," and said that "about 75% of the stockpile has been disposed of, and with more coming in with the arrest of the holdouts, it will likely be done by October."

In other news
  • Oteki - Authorities drops ₤2.5m lawsuit against Radio Free Qianrong, lets them off with warning
  • Francilie - Eight candidates running for snap Presidential elections
  • Qianrong - Situation at a "stalemate"
  • Bethlehem - LIVE Click here to listen to Shjoraski's Christmas speech

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:20 am

Editorial: Could Oteki ever regain sovereignty?
FRONTIERSBURG, UPPER YORK - In recent days, Oteki has been in the news, due to a multitude of factors: the Otekian People's Association trying to appease Namo, the efforts to try and suppress Radio Free Qianrong, and Namo rejecting such efforts and demanding that the OPA "go hug Luziyca, integrate into Luziycan society, and leave us alone." Thus, I have decided to try and answer a burning question, to find out if Oteki could ever regain sovereignty?

Firstly, we would need to consider the economy of Oteki. As of right now, the GDP per capita of Oteki is one of the lowest within Namor, hovering (as of 2010) around ₤4,750 (P66,500, $9,500). The GDP for Oteki, therefore, is ₤77,258,165,750, as of 2010. However, we must note that their HDI is at 0.770, and their GINI coefficient is at 19.8, which is low. If we compare it to Geadland, the Geads have a GDP per capita of ₤20,261 (PPI), and a GDP of ₤597.34m (PPI). They also have a very high standard of living, at 0.902, but they have moderate income inequality at 30.4.
However, in 1928, Oteki had ₤1,298 in GDP per capita. If we were to use inflation, it'd be worth about ₤17,925.38 ($35,850.76) in today's money, or close to that of Geadland. As such, the effects of the Great Depression still lingers within Oteki, and when compounded with the historic Namorese policy to the region since 1950, especially until recently, it shows that the real value of the standard of living is still below 1928 levels. And if we do the same thing for 1950's GDP, ₤445, we end up with ₤4,164.49, which is just slightly below 2010 levels, which almost seemed as if Oteki's economy had stagnated. The economy would seem that if Oteki were to gain independence, it would have a long way to go to reach that of its western neighbors, let alone surpass that.

If we were to look back to history, Oteki had a long history of self-rule outside of Namor. Until AD 688, it was a separate state, and was the first state to adopt Christianity as its official religion, doing so in AD 53. After AD 688, it became part of the Duchy of York, which while it had Namorese roots, they assimilated by the 1300s into Luziycan culture. In 1720, the Duke of York sold Oteki to Namor for ₤10,000, and it was under Antelopian rule until 1898 when it became a Republic which while it was a bit fundamentalist and discriminatory against Namorese, did respect Geadish rights and was more secular than the Second Republic. From 1950 onwards, save for a four year interlude from 1966-1970, it has been under Namorese administration, helping precipitate the changes.

A rather significant factor would be demographics: Otekians used to make up around 80-90% of the region's population, but since 1970, due to a combination of Namorese moving in and Otekians fleeing for a better future or out of fear for persecution, the Otekian share had shrunk to 35%, whilst the Namorese share has risen to 55%. Whether demographic manipulation is at work, which it probably is, or whether it isn't, this could help secure Oteki against efforts to secede. As such, those who advocate Otekian sovereignty are seeing a shift in values over the past few years, from Christian fundamentalism that advocates ethnic nationalism to advocating civic nationalism and committing themselves to preserve the rights of Namorese, Geads, and Otekians. In a way, Oteki can no longer be like the earlier two republics, since it cannot afford to be discriminatory. It has to respect the rights of everyone, and so a hypothetical Third Republic would be more liberal and democratic than the previous two.

However, even if the people in Oteki want to achieve sovereignty now, the Anti-Secession Law will refuse to give them the right to secede. To quote the former PM Dennis Ödetsen of Geadland, "dogmatic opposition to secession movements and self-determination could be a recipe for trouble in the future, especially if a more democratic and secular secession movement emerges in Oteki." And that, in my opinion, is decisively true. Right now, the Namorese can afford to paint all Otekian secessionists with the same brush: as Christian fundamentalists, but if a more democratic secessionist movement does emerge, and Namor doesn't lift that opposition and continues to use the same justification as it currently does, that they are CIA-backed Christian fundamentalist scum, I anticipate there will be a lot of protests demanding sovereignty, not just in Oteki itself, but across the globe.

So to sum it up, if Oteki were to become independent, it would have a long way to go to catch up with their neighbors, even if they once had a higher standard of living than Luziyca and Geadland, due to the stagnation and the after-effects of the Great Depression, nearly a century later. It has had historical experience being independent and it may be well-suited to do so, but with demographic manipulation and the Anti-Secession law, there is an ice cube's chance in hell that Oteki will ever regain independence.

This was an editorial by Oliver Miloslav, political analyst from the former West Luziyca.

In other news
  • Unolia - Paradigm shift underway? Or business as usual?
  • Oteki - "Priveta, Novi Zotay" - the theme on Emancipation Day in Oteki
  • Comhairle - Is communism on the way down?
  • Qianrong - Underpaid weather forecasters predicted a storm of protest in Qianrong
Last edited by Luziyca on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:35 am

What shall 2015 bring for Luziyca and Esquarium?
Shjoraski: could he be replaced in 2015?

BETHLEHEM, F.C. - The following will be a very important year in Esquarium. It will be a year of peace and tranquility, or it could wind up being a year of devastating wars that shed countless lives very pointlessly. As such, we shall outline what 2015 could bring, not just within the freest nation of Esquarium, but in other parts of the globe which may be free, or not.

Domestic affairs
2015 will be a year of big change for Luziyca. After the admission of Irinushka and Asenath into Luziyca, the census will show a massive increase of population. As a result, the House will likely expanded from 500 seats to 625 seats, while the Senate will only add four new seats: two for Irinushka and two for Asenath, to 82 seats from 78 seats.

Economically, the lira will remain quite strong, and due to increased trade with many nations, noticeably Namor, the economy will likely grow at least 10% in 2015. It may be a bit sluggish though, due to the implementation of socialized medicine some time next year.

As for politics, since this is an election year for Congress and the Presidency, Shjoraski has an 68% approval rating, but since the campaigns will begin rather soon, it may change, or not, depending on who and what the other candidates are, and their aims. We may see a Congressional change, and even a change in the Presidency, and who knows what it shall bring for this nation?

Foreign affairs
As much as we want to discuss nothing but this great nation, we need to discuss the rest of the world as well.

First, the situation in Qianrong must stabilize, and it seems incredibly likely the Qianrongese government that had lasted for so long will come to a close in the coming year.
Secondly, the Internet may become a battlefield, replacing the land. While there may be apparent peace, the issue is that with the internet being a battlefield, there may be an erosion of freedoms, especially the freedom to privacy, to justify fighting a permanent cyberwar, although if you have nothing to hide, you don't have anything to fear.
Thirdly, as pressure mounts against Arnborg, it is only a matter of time before Ainin has had enough of Arnborg and invade to overthrow the racist apartheid regime and put into place a democratic and multiracial state.
And notably, we feel that the Jihadists in Irvadistan and Kraq may unite and form a "caliphate." Should that occur, God knows what will happen to those two nations.

In conclusion, 2015 could be the start of something better for the world, or it could very well end it.

In other news
  • Vyvland - Kurt Blymont makes sensible decision: ban closed shops or face sanctions
  • Kraq - Islamists committed war crimes in al-Jegria against Lutheran Catholics
  • Namor - OTB hacks The Pickle: satire or truth?
  • Ainin - Popular magazine awards Newsmaker of the Year to the "Common Soldier."

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:46 pm

"Luziyca to join NOSDO," press release from the Department of Foreign Affairs announces
Secretary Amandus outlining plans

BETHLEHEM, F.C. - As speculation regarding the future of Nevan membership occurs, Secretary Alfhild Amandus of the Department of Foreign Affairs issued a press release regarding the plans for Luziyca to join NOSDO in 2015, stating it to be "the white paper for our reasons to join NOSDO and why investing in Luziyca as a member is the wise choice."

The White Paper explains that the reason why Luziyca is to join NOSDO is because "in light of the potential expulsion of a major giant in the alliance, we have decided to reapply to join this organization to help the nations of the Northern Sea region strengthen their military ties, protect ourselves against any perceived or real threats that may harm NOSDO as a result of the Triumvirate's rise. If we participate in NOSDO, we will help give it the power projection necessary to deal with any external threats."

The summary then goes on to state that "The reason why investing in Luziyca as a participating member are, firstly, the power projection needed to curb Triumvirate expansion in the absence of Nevanmaa, which will be incredibly vital to ensure the effectiveness of NOSDO without it becoming a union on paper, like the Lagian League after the 1650s until its formal dissolution. Secondly, Luziyca, being one of the largest economies in the Northern Sea region would help bolster the economic factors and ensure that NOSDO will be stronger in the long run. Thirdly is the fact that we are a democratic nation built upon the ideals of freedom for all mankind. We may commit some human rights violations or conduct unethical actions, but unlike the Nevans, we do not oppress our own people, whether by race, sex, creed, or ideology, nor do we support apartheid or terrorism."

It then provides statistics that project that if Luziyca were to become part of NOSDO, over the next 25 years, it will become stronger, even without the Nevans.

In other news
  • Francilie - First round of national elections
  • Michilies - DORA to be reimplemented?
  • Zhungaria - New leader to modernize the nation
  • Qianrong - INTERPROS ceases hacking attacks

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:30 pm

Damn, I should have subscribed a long time ago.

I support insanely high tax rates, do you?
This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
☻/This is Bob, copy& paste him in
/▌ your sig so Bob can take over the
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
3 - Moderatly Problematic War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:08 pm

3,000 protesters declare "government-in-exile" outlived its purpose, devomax advocated
Natasha Roman: potential leader?

FRONTIERSBURG, UPPER YORK - At noon today, 3,000 people demonstrated in Frontiersburg against the Otekian government-in-exile. The protesters carried signs saying that "The government-in-exile is rotting!" and "Take action, Lhego, don't just sit there!" But unusually, a surprising number of them are advocating greater autonomy for Namor, with many carrying signs reading "DEVOLUTION MAXIMALA!" or simply "DEVOMAX for Oteki!"

Organizer of the protests, 28 year old Natasha Roman said that "the main issue with Oteki's government in exile is, simply put, it is antiquated. They sit around and do nothing except yammer on and on about how to liberate Oteki, and yet, at the same time, they are becoming less in touch with us and our views by believing that independence is still possible. The fact is, there will be no way Oteki can become sovereign: the closest we will get is devomax, which means that Namor provides social services, defense and is in charge of foreign affairs, but Oteki is autonomous in everything else. These were the plans promised by Namo before the attacks in Namo conducted by the Knights of Saint Luther a while back."

However, another protester, Joseph Samarov remarked that "I feel that devomax is impossible: however, I honestly believe that Namor should work in improving human rights for us. At the same time, I don't think the government-in-exile really cares about us: it is time to take action and put it in our own hands."

The protest lasted until 1:30 pm, Eastern Time, and it was peaceful. Despite the temperature of -12 (-17 with the wind chill) with some snow, 3,000 people have turned out to protest against the government-in-exile. Rumors are that Natasha Roman may form a separate organization, with some indicating that it will be a party in the government-in-exile, while others say it will be outside the government-in-exile.

In other news
  • Qianrong - Guo captured, Winter Rebellion coming to a close?
  • Groenterp - PM Lily van Boelle wins elections, forms coalition
  • Nevanmaa - New government created
  • Oteki - OTB claims responsibility in hacking attacks against government-in-exile

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:10 pm

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf wrote:Damn, I should have subscribed a long time ago.

Good to know.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:22 pm

Lhego announces retirement from the presidency of the government-in-exile
President Petro Poroshenko, 1988-2015

FRONTIERSBURG, UPPER YORK - At half past one, at a press conference, President Yorskov Lhego has announced his retirement from the Otekian government-in-exile at the age of 64, after serving for over a quarter of a century, making him the longest serving President of the Otekian government-in-exile (surpassing his predecessor, Josef Rabovski who served from its formation in 1971 to his retirement in 1988).

"For a long time," Lhego stated, "I have held out hope and a desire to see a sovereign Oteki. Over the years, I have helped make the expat community become a thriving force. From when I first took the job in the government-in-exile, I helped improve conditions for my fellow Otekians in the camps and built permanent structures, and when Rabovski gave me this position, I have exercised it to the best of my abilities."

"However," he remarked, "there is a lot of mistakes that I have made. I have supported the armed rebellion and the atrocities that the Knights have committed against the settlers. I have made very optimistic predictions, especially the New Century Plan. I have alienated some of my people, and of course, I did not exactly help the reputation of the Otekian government-in-exile."

He then continued, "As we enter the middle of this decade, I feel that it is about time to pass the torch to a new generation. For nearly 27 years, I have served in this position, and in that time, I have tried to ensure that Oteki became free. Did I fail in that goal? Possibly. Were my efforts in vain? Absolutely not. As time continues on, I feel that with each decision that we, as a community, make, we will ultimately reach our goal of independence."

"The main problem now is that the older generations feel that I am not doing anything to help give Oteki sovereignty, whilst the younger generations favors substantial autonomy in Namor. And as much as I support peaceful independence, and as much as I want to help, it is time to pass the torch to a new generation. Thus, I will not name my successor, but I shall hold elections for the Presidency, for I feel it is in the best interests of the people to choose one who will help make the region better in the long run. As such, I hereby resign the office and once the election results have been calculated and the winner confirmed, I shall step down."

In other news
  • Britanno - Backbencher revolt in opposition party over Nevan membership
  • Groenterp - Secession likely for Leeuwalden?
  • New Zepuha - Polling commences for elections
  • Luziyca - Christmas break is coming to an end tomorrow: how to best send your kids back to the daily grind

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:06 am

School shooting
Veran Hus Primary School

YERMAL, SPRESI - Yesterday, a tragedy struck the freest nation of Esquarium: a gunman headed to the Veran Hus Primary School and killed 11 children, as well as 7 school staff members, as well as wounded 12 people (10 children and 2 staff members), before killing himself.

At 9:26 am EST, the gunman entered the Veran Hus Primary School and shot and killed the two secretaries. Following that, he headed to the classrooms and started to shoot at children, as well as teachers at Veran Hus, before at 9:46 am, he finally committed suicide. 8 children and 4 staff members were declared dead at the scene, while 3 staff members and 3 children died in hospital.

President Shjoraski said that "This merciless killing was conducted by a madman, and that we need to take meaningful action to ensure that this incident never repeats itself." Pausing to regain composure, he said that "In this time of light, I send my prayers and my deepest sympathies to all those in the community of Yermal."

Pope Stephan V declared that "In the aftermath of this senseless tragedy, the Holy Father asks God, our Father, to console all those who mourn and to sustain the entire community with the spiritual strength which triumphs over violence by the power of forgiveness, hope and reconciling love."

The school will remain closed indefinitely, due to it remaining a crime scene. Classes will resume in the next few weeks at an unused facility.

In other news
  • Kraq - New Zepuhan forces suffer losses following an ambush
  • Arkiasis - Vesperians want to secede
  • Nevanmaa - Avarians demand to be a Kingdom again within Nevanmaa.
  • West Cedarbrook - Doubts about Ocidenia's financial capabilities according to liquidity experts
Last edited by Luziyca on Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:17 pm

Perpetrator of school shooting in Yermal identified as a Gyp
Gunman Chota Vyapari in 2013 (center, second from right)

YERMAL, SPRESI - This morning, the gunman who shot at 30 people at the Veran Hus Primary School has been identified as 21-year old Shudri male Chota Vyapari by the State Police of Spresi.
Chota was 21 years old and was born near Yermal to a Shudri family on September 27th, 1993, and grew in an encampment with poor conditions. He entered Kindergarten in 1998, and was a problem student. He uttered a bomb threat in 2004 and as a result was expelled from the school. Over the next few years, he bounced around various schools before dropping out in 2009 and becoming a bum on the streets of Yermal. He was arrested in 2010 for loitering and disorderly conduct, and was sentenced to two weeks in prison, before returning to the streets. In 2012, he was a person of interest when a toddler aged 3 was kidnapped by a Shudri within Yermal, but evidence revealed that another Shudri, Aglo Harami kidnapped her, and he was no longer a suspect. In 2014, he moved in with another Shudri who had a firearms permit, and he stole one of his rifles on that fateful day yesterday.

Shortly after the announcement was made, we asked his relatives about him, with the youngest, aged 8 saying "He was a great role model, and I am sad that my oldest brother died."

However, outrage has seethed over the "senseless crime" conducted by Chota Vyapari, and reports are that anti-Shudri sentiment is on the rise. As the death toll rises to 19 as one child died overnight, the State government is overwhelmed.

Governor Matt Desislav of Spresi said that "this tragedy is one of the worst to have struck this state. We accept the prayers of not just the people of Spresi, but the rest of the world, and we shall overcome this." He announced that there are "plans to change our Freedom of Information Act so that relatives of those who have died on the seventh of January shall not be exposed negatively."

The names of the victims are still being processed, but it is confirmed that all of the victims are all aged 5 to 7.

In other news
  • Qianrong - New regime takes power as Li vanquishes the FDRQ
  • Namor - Fu Wen extends condolences after school shooting
  • EDITORIAL - Why gypsies are inferior and deserve to be deported
  • Groenterp - Bill to join NOSDO passes Parliament

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:11 pm

Names of the victims of the Veran Hus Primary School shooting released
Police chief Igor Rybovski of the Yermal Police Department

YERMAL, SPRESI - At noon today, the police chief of the Yemral Police Department, Igor Rybovski revealed the names of the victims who were injured or killed on the Veran Hus school shooting in a solemn ceremony in front of the City Hall attended by 15,000 people at the city square. Igor Rbyovski first said the names of the children who lost their lives and the children who were wounded by that gyp, followed by the staff members who were killed or wounded by that gyp.

Below is the list of those who were killed or wounded.

Children (in order of being shot, italicized indicates wounded)
Chesna Letvin, 6
Nevenka Zeman, 6
Tanya Bakal, 5
Varban Shostakovich, 5
Mara Chladny, 6
Bjorn Humbert, 5

Libera Novachek, 7
Dusko Lhotsky, 5
Boleslav Uvarov, 6
Alin Klima, 5

Vedrana Sedlak, 6
Goranka Sedlak, 6
Dara Meyer, 6
Jovana Sendula, 7

Zora Zhdanov, 5
Vela Rabinow, 6
Svetlana Lenart, 5
Ruzica Erben, 5
Albin Nasaret, 6
Stoyko Kahut, 5

Staff (same as above)
Derwan Havel, 41, secretary
Boriana Volinsky, 58, Kindergarten teacher
Nadezda Horak, 28, educational assistant
Elka Kjosev, 42, Grade 1 teacher
Velmira Sidorchuk, 34, cafeteria cook
Yakov Popovic, 67, janitor
Mira Kovac, 29, educational assistant
Julian Hayek, 49, janitor
Bozo Ivanov, 37, substitute teacher for Grade 2 class

Perpetrator
Chota Vyapari, 21

The Mayor of Yermal, Rosta Golovin said that "it is a tragedy for this free nation to witness such a horrific school shooting that killed so many innocent children. Over the past few days, we have received condolences from the world, but I will never be as touched as the one Fu Wen sent to us because we honestly did not expect that. We thank you all for your support, and we shall ensure that we will prevent a repeat of this incident happening."

It was confirmed that this was the deadliest school shooting in the 21st century, but was the third deadliest, behind the Drahos Kovach Secondary School massacre which occurred in 1997 which killed 22 students and 11 staff, and wounded 13 students and 9 staff: eight of which incapacitated as a result, and the St. Joseph's school massacre in 1934 in Uralkali when the communists locked up all the students and staffs and set the school on fire, killing 92 students and 34 staff members. As such, this is a distant third compared to St. Joseph's.

The Secretary of the Department of Education, Josip Thuman, commented that "it was the first school shooting we have experienced since 2008 in Bethlehem, but only 3 students were injured and one person, the perp, killed in a shootout with police."

In other news
  • Around the world - Condolences extended to Luziyca from Scotia, Groenterp, Sjalhaven, and many others
  • Namor - Liberationists "should shrug elitism off," Shohai proclaims
  • Lombardia - Anti-Shudri protests occur in Yerevan in light of the school shooting in Yerevan, 20,000 people turn out
  • Upper York - Otekian government-in-exile on the verge of splitting into two?

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:07 pm

"We must not take our grief out on the gypsies," President warns
Davino Vivenzio at the rally in Yerevan, Lombardia

BETHLEHEM, F.C. - In light of the Veran Hus school shooting, many have been demanding that the Shudri be deported to another country, or at least, for the police to take more action against them, with some describing them as a security threat to Luziyca. Indeed, a rally in Yerevan attracted 20,000 people, organized by Davion Vivenzio, resulting in many officials condemning the rise in racism against the Shudri. As such, the President issued a press release to discuss the issue regarding the Shudri.

The President said that "While the people are exercising their God-given rights to free-speech, the issue is that in the light of the Veran Hus school shootings, we cannot paint the gypsies all with the same brush here. There are some who are criminals, like Vyapari, but there are also hard-working gypsies earning a living. To paint them all with the same brush and wanting them out of the country because of what that gunman did is simply unacceptable. We cannot take our grief out on the gypsies, by using it as an excuse to further racism in this free nation."

Svetlana Sedlak, mother of deceased twins Vedrana and Goranka said that "we must mourn our children: it is a horrible crime, but I know some Shudri, and we are rather friendly: these Shudri are hard-working, and aren't of the criminal type. Sure, some Shudri do bad things, and I am annoyed at that coward, but if we take it out on the Shudri, we may be the real bad guys here."

However, Paul Novachek, father of Libera Novachek said that "My only experiences with those gyps are when they commit crimes, like robbery, murder, rape, kidnapping, and the fact that they killed my daughter shows that we cannot stop them. If they wanna commit crimes, they must get the f**k out of this free-nation and go back to their savage homeland. One day, I will take revenge, and I will make sure that these savages will be punished: even the kids."

As a result of threats to the surviving immediate relatives of the Vyapari family, all of them have been placed in the Federal Witness Protection Program, and their identities and location are classified.

In other news
  • Around the world - Condolences extended to Luziyca from Scotia, Groenterp, Sjalhaven, and many others
  • Qianrong - Luziycan government apologizes to Qianrong for not interacting at all after Song Li-Chao is rescued
  • Francilie - Terrorist attack in royal palace
  • Danzig - Former Unolian first lady end her own life, police investigate

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:33 am

Information of Chota Vyapari revealed
Chota Vyapari, second from right

YERMAL, SPRESI - Earlier today, the Yermal Poice Department granted a FOIA request to reveal more details about the life of the 21-year old gunman Chota Vyapari who murdered 19 people at the Veran Hus primary school, and injured 11 people. It was also confirmed that he was the only gunman as well.

Chota Vyapari was born on the twenty-seventh of September, 1993, in the Yuhanna kheta encampment about 15 km east of Yermal, and the oldest of four children. He grew up in the Yuhanna kheta encampment, though he sometimes travelled to other areas of the state, but returning to the Yuhanna kheta encampment. The family at the time had an annual income of about ₤1,580 ($3,160) mostly from itinerant work. His first language was Shudri, and his second language was Luziycan.

In 1998, he enrolled in Kindergarten at the Veran Hus Primary School, but experienced intense bullying due to the fact that he was a Shudri and as a result was isolated socially. Academically, he did poorly, with the teacher describing him as a "Gyp who cannot grasp the basic principles of education and is a lost cause." Over the years, his performance deteriorated, and in 2004, when he was in Grade 5, he uttered a bomb threat. Because he was under the age of responsibility (12), he was not arrested, though a citation was made on the record and was expelled from the school. He then attended St. Paul's School until Grade 8, where he was bullied and heavily insulted, and then attended St. Honore Secondary School until 2009: in high school, he had no friends and was relentlessly bullied.

By 2009, due to his poor grades and constant bullying, he dropped out and became an itinerant worker, travelling around Spresi and other areas of Luziyca, including the Dartmouth Islands to find work. In 2010, he was arrested for loitering and disorderly conduct, and was sentenced to two weeks in prison. In 2012, he was a person of interest when a 3 year old girl was kidnapped in Yermal, but a friend of his, Algo Harami kidnapped her and tortured her nearly to death.

In 2013, he was diagnosed with psychopathic characteristics, but he refused to take his medication. By then, he started to be fascinated with Luziycan school shootings, and began planning extensively to take revenge against the Veran Hus Primary School. In January 2014, he moved in with Sikandara Sepha in the encampment, who was a firearms enthusiast and began teaching him how to shoot at targets. We interviewed him, and asked him of his ties with Chota Vyapari.

Sepha remarked, "He was a bit of a nice guy, but as I spent more and more time with him, I began to notice that he sought revenge against the Slavs for the bullying he had endured in high school, and was obsessed with Luziycan school shootings. I shared similar feelings to, since I did not like the Slavs, or god forbid, the Lombardians, but I did not think he would put that into action. Had I knew he actually planned to do it, I would've turned him in to a tribunal of elders so to judge how polluted he was. I thought he wanted to hunt, but he wanted to kill."

Sepha admitted that "by October, I decided to stop teaching him because I feared that I would turn him into a killing machine, and started to lock my gun safe up. How he stole one of my rifles and unlocked the doors, I have no bloody idea."

Before he committed his rampage, he wrote a manifesto and published it on Facebook, condemning the "institutionalized oppression of the Shudri" and also proclaiming that "I have had enough of this: only with my death and the death of some of the bullies shall I be avenged."

In other news
  • Yermal - Funeral service to be held for victims "next Sunday" at St. Augustine's Church
  • Arnborg - Nevan to deploy two new divisions to help defend Arnborg
  • North Daecon - Conspiracy theories are a big concern
  • Crolacia - King in critical condition, succession likely?

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:03 pm

Luztrak to restore service to Nantai
Sergei Bandi, Director of Luztrak

BETHLEHEM, F.C. - It has been nineteen years since Nantai last had any rail service: due to the Third Namo-Luziycan War combined with budget cuts, Luztrak had to end rail service to Nantai and bypass it: by 2000, the new Desert Wind service began, going through Spartak and Armavir instead of Kenyen, Venha, Hihang, and Makar prior to 1996. However, with the increased ties between Namor and Luziyca, the federal government has given a grant of ₤2.8 billion ($5.6 billion) to create a new high speed rail service from Bethlehem to Po'ai, and to extend the Wheatliner from Armavir to Po'ai and increase its frequency.

Sergei Bandi, the first Shudri director in Luztrak said that "in light of increasing ties with Namor, it is paramount to link the high speed rail networks together and provide a connection to Namor. Thus, our plan is to rebuild the section of the Desert Wind to restore service to Kenyen, Venha, Hihang, and a spur line to Po'ai, with new trackage to connect Manirov and Uray Beach directly. It will be upgraded, however, to ensure that high speed rail trains, both Namorese and Luziycan can operate effectively."

"In addition, we plan on improving the frequency of the Wheatliner to thrice a day, except that spur where it shall remain at twice a day. However, we will extend the line to Makar, and to Po'ai, where, like the new high speed corridor, it will connect to the Namorese rail system. Our plan is to have this completed by 2020, and we hope that Namor will also co-operate on this project as well, since it will improve freight and passenger transport across both sides of the border."

The costs are estimated to be at around ₤1.4 billion ($2.4 billion), though it may skyrocket depending on delays. Sergei hopes for construction to begin "as soon as possible."

In other news
  • Esquarium - Cartographers will have excellent business this year
  • Yermal - Classes resume at vacant middle school renamed "Veran Hus," plans to rename to "Fu Wen" in honor of Namorese condolences
  • Francilie - Two gunmen still on the loose
  • Opinion - Could Inleda secede?

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:06 pm

"We will not recognize a sovereign Leeuwarden," Amandus announces
(error, file not found)
Flag of Leeuwarden

BETHLEHEM, F.C. - As the possibility of Leeuwarden becoming a separate and sovereign nations becomes an increased reality, the Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs, Alfild Amandus said that "we will refuse to recognize a sovereign Leeuwarden," especially due to the moving the date of the referendum to today from the first of February as was originally planned before Wim van Dreisap, the Premier of Leeuwarden changed the date of the referendum.

Amandus said that "the decision to move the referendum from the first of February to today is completely unacceptable in our eyes, because it discourages opposition candidates from running an effective campaign, and virtually guarantees a victory for the separatists. In my opinion, this was done, not because of protests, but because the provincial government deliberately did it to ensure that Leeuwarden could secede from Groenterp and ensure that the opposition would not have enough time to organize their campaign."

He also stated that "while Wim van Dreisap may claim that he is against independence, the fact that he approved moving forward the date of the referendum shows that he probably is a sympathizer to independence and wants to get his province out of Groenterp. While we respect the right to self-determination, this is sheer trickery. If the people of Leeuwarden vote yes, we will refuse to recognize this referendum as free and fair, and we will likewise not recognize their 'independence' from Groenterp unless a more free and fair referendum occurs, ideally with international observers monitoring this, because as far as it is, there are significant irregularities with this referendum."

In other news
  • Spresi - Preparations for funeral service of the Veran Hus students underway
  • Vyvland - Tiy Baners conducted a smear against Robert Ujson
  • Nevanmaa - Längelmä city council ordered to dismantle monument to communist twats
  • Inleda - "separatism is not a huge problem," says Chief Executive
Last edited by Luziyca on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:04 pm

"The vote must be free, fair, and genuine," Amandus declares
PM Lily van Boelle of Greonterp

BOSWALD, GREONTERP - Today, the Prime Minister of Groenterp urged various nations, such as us, the freest nation in Esquarium, Michilies, and Geadland to reconsider our positions regarding the sovereignty of Leeuwarden, should this so-called "referendum" come to pass within Greonterp.

"The decision to re-schedule the referendum was cowardly, and I'm vehemently opposed to it. Regardless, I realize that the Premier of Leeuwarden is actually opposed to independence," Lily van Boelle said. "This Premier was the one who re-scheduled the referendum. He didn't do it to benefit the yes camp, rather he hastily changed the date, because of massive protests urging him to do so." She continued, "Furthermore, I recognize the fact that the referendum is democratic, and that international observers are in Leeuwarden. I hope Leeuwarden votes no, but if they vote yes, we must recognize the will of the Leeuwartian people."

However, Secretary Alfild Amandus said that "The issue however, is that she refused to name those international observers. She may think that both sides do not have enough time to prepare, or that the no campaign will benefit. However, we know that it will almost definitely benefit the yes campaign, because they have had the time to organize their campaign for a long time and have the support of the legislature. In contrast, the unionists had little funding and/or support for the campaign."

Amandus declared, "Thus, while it may be considered democratic within Greonterp, this shortened campaign period only indicates a high chance of voter fraud and high irregularities. We need a true referendum with observers from various countries around Esquarium, to prove that this vote is free, fair, and genuine of what the people wish for in Leeuwarden, and not a result of the voter fraud and irregularities caused by the short campaign."

On Twitter, an employee of the Department of Foreign Affairs sent a tweet saying "I would not be surprised if the KGB orchestrated the protests," and when asked of proof, he said that "My friends in Leeuwarden heard predominant Namorese chants which indicate KGB involvement." This employee has been suspended with pay while an investigation is underway.

In other news
  • Spresi - Preparations for funeral service of the Veran Hus students underway
  • Nevanmaa - Manned mission to the moon to occur this year.
  • Gnasri - King to permit limited tourism to this secluded nation
  • Oteki - Plans unveiled for second Karshev's location in Namor?
Last edited by Luziyca on Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:18 pm

Shjoraski announces "the referendum in Leeuwarden is invalid."
Criminal Wim van Dreis resigning from Premier after conducting voter fraud

BETHLEHEM, F.C. - The yes vote "won" this alleged "referendum" in Leeuwarden by 456 votes, with 92% turnout in this alleged referendum for the "sovereignty" of the Leeuwarden region in Greonterp. Van Dreis acknowledged that "he inadvertently gave the yes camp a advantage, and let Greonterp down."

President Breuvi Shjoraski said in a press release, "The fact that the yes vote had won by only 456 votes combined with the shortened date means that this so-called 'referendum' regarding the illegal secession of Leeuwarden from the free nation of Greonterp has been full of irregularities, with an improbable 92% turnout, and how close the votes were, which gives significant indication that the yes side attempted to rig the votes. As such, if in the event the recount shows that Leeuwarden will secede, we will refuse to recognize it and will do everything we can to ensure that it will not join the international community unless if it holds a free and fair referendum supervised by foreign nations."

When asked in an interview about Van Dreis' apology, Shjoraski said, "One does not get away with conducting major voter fraud with a 'sorry.' This is not how it works in a civilized and free world. While it is a good thing to see him step down, and I approve of that, I feel that he should be tried for rigging the votes in the favor of the side for 'independence' in Greonterp, and then spending some time in prison." Shjoraski remarked that "He should have stuck with the original date: if he had, we would recognize this exercise right to self-determination in Leeuwarden, but since he changed the date of the referendum to benefit the yes side, this is not a fair referendum."

Opinion polls show that 64% are against the "sovereignty" of Leeuwarden, 32% are undecided, and 4% are for, with the most popular reason to be against being "voter fraud."

In other news
  • Oteki - Vang Jun denies permission for Karshev's to enter Otekian market, CEO of Karshev's proves that Karshev's in the region will have satisfactory conditions
  • Rutuba - President George Duncan to retire after serving for a single term
  • Scotia - Preparations for independence day underway
  • Riro - How would the experiences of Riro be applied to these referenda?
Last edited by Luziyca on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:48 pm

Karshev's to expand into Namor, targets to build 150 stores by 2020
A typical Karshev's store

JERUSALEM, INLEDA - Days after Vang Jun denied permission for Karshev's to expand into Oteki, CEO Trevor Karshev of this famous supermarket giant has announced that "the assertion that we will violate Namorese labor law is untrue. To the contrary, we will comply to all aspects of Namorese labor law and we shall follow local laws."

Within the announcement, CEO Trevor Karshev has said that "Namor is a large market: we have opened two stores, one in Namo, and the other in Mojing, and in both stores, we comply to the wording and the spirit of the labor laws within Namor. There is no reason to expect any different within our Namorese stores. The municipal government of Namo has reported no problems among the workers in Karshev's, and we have one of the best work conditions in the Namorese retail industry."

"To ensure that Namorese consumers have choice," Karshev stated, "we plan to expand our Namorese operations into the following cities: Peitoa City, Huangjin, Sicho, Kui, Yujeng, Lau, Imin, Kamuden, Sharlitston, Shayen, Peichin, Nozama City, Ngam, Ngenh Ngenh, Tanken, East Po'ai, Negev, Haidi, Beicheng, Arra, Vetpei, Xhishin, Hoy Phong, Nankin, Bashi-Bashgar, Benfang, Huankun, and Grand Falls, as well as Akeba, Westernia, and Kusef. We may not enter Txotai by 2020, or East Po'ai, yes, but I feel quite confident that we can operate 150 stores in those cities across the country by 2020."

He continued, "We plan on adapting Karshev's to local tastes, but we will keep the low prices so that Namorese consumers do not need to spend a lot of money to buy a lot of stuff. Our advertising in Namor will appeal to the Namorese people, and we will ensure that we treat our workers properly, and to not violate Namorese labor laws."

More as this story develops.

In other news
  • Greonterp - PM Lily van Boelle refuses to resign, says calling the criminal premier was "uncalled for, hypocritical, and untrue."
  • Namor - Cybersecurity agency under Ministry of Public Security formed
  • Geadland - Government makes right decision to not recognize Leeuwarden "sovereignty"
  • Reussia - Queen Maud dies in a car accident

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information