NATION

PASSWORD

NS Military Realism Consultation Thread

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:15 pm

Urceo-Carthage wrote:Can someone respond to these numbers:

Total Population: 17,668,000,000
Total GDP: $596,000,000,000,000

Military population: 971,740,000 (5.5%)
Military Budget: 149,000,000,000,000 (25%)

According to the Nationstates Military Calculator, with these numbers we will spend over $153,000 per soldier, which is more than enough, considering that Marines use far lower numbers.

Once again, Will a 900 million+ military force remain technologically advanced and well trained/equipped with a 149 trillion military budget? I know 25% is a bit extensive, but it has been at 25% since the Great Valencia days, and we wish to return it.

Also, these numbers do not include the Foreign Legion.

It is simply not feasible. North Korea has a lower percentage of its GDP spent on the military and a lower percent of its population in the standing military and look where it is. I understand that big numbers are cool, but it really becomes a hindrance at some point. You have a lot of people, and a lot of money, which is great, but you are using it in shitty ways.

I would suggest a tiny, tiny elite military force (1% or less, the less the better), and a much lower military spending (10% of your GDP at the absolute most, 5% is much more preferable). Now, with such a small army you can give them better training and equipment, making your military as a whole more versatile.

In addition to that you can have your hilarious swarms of soldiers, by having a massive number of reserves. Have everyone between the ages of 18 and 40 who isn't a felon own a rifle (try to at least standardize the cartridge they use) and train with it at least 4 hours a month, making them provide their own ammo for training. If you need more soldiers, call up the reserves and give them a 6-10 week refresher course. Obviously the young should be chosen before the old for service, and those with simpler jobs (eg. garbage man) over those with complex jobs (eg. engineer).

Overall this will give you
1. A well equipped and trained military that has the numbers to go toe to toe with most other NS militaries.
2. A massive manpower pool if you ever do need 100 million soldiers.
3. Enough people in the civilian sectors to keep it running during peace and all but the largest deployments.

Really, what did you plan on using 150 million soldiers for anyway? At that point you could just drop them on cities without parachutes and literally drowned them in blood.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Xanixi wrote:The idea is that the energy exerts the very moment it impacts the ground, which then picks up the dirt and everything above it in a massive shockwave.

...and? This still results in a shit destructive radius that is probably less than the conventional warhead on a cruise missile.

Xanixi wrote:
Licana wrote:So, at best, you'll get the destructive capabilities of a cruise missile for something that costs wayy more than a ballistic missile

If I understood it correctly, you mean to say that the rod is a ballistic missile. It's not. Its a massive rod made of tungsten with a rocket attached to it.

No, and I don't know how the hell you managed to get that from the statement I made. I was stating that with godrods you would get a similar destructive radius to a cruise missile (and that's being generous according to some of the guys over NSD) with a cost that far exceeds that of a ballistic missile.

Xanixi wrote:Just made a new post explaining the countermeasures.

The page you linked to explains exactly jack shit other than it uses some form of magic to destroy 99.9999999999% of all ballistic missiles (a claim that is beyond absurd, to be honest). It doesn't even state what type of countermeasures it uses to destroy said ballistic missiles.

Xanixi wrote:the firing platform is a satellite. That can be constructed on Earth. Like the rest of them.

Large satellites (and I would assume that this would be a "large" satellite, unless it only has a single godrod payload) have to be constructed in orbit.

Xanixi wrote:They're unmanned, and have solar cells.

Do they replenish the spent godrods using almighty solar magic? Are they self-repairing and maintaining satellites? If the answer to either of these questions is "no", then you still have to resupply them.
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Xanixi wrote:
The Kievan People wrote:A solid tungsten rod that size would weigh ~34 tons. But if it has a rocket booster it ain't a solid rod is it? Or, you know, an attachment to the rod. You know...

Tungsten won't survive impact intact at near-orbital speeds, non-negotiable I don't want it to. In fact, I want it to explode. I couldn't care less if it disintegrates. I just need the kinetic energy it picks up. I do not know of any material that will. Rocket boosting it really, really will not help. I need guidance for it. I'm not planning on the costs of getting it up there just to hope it hits where I want it to hit.

It would put on a nice show, vaporize anyone in the immediate vicinity, shake the ground, soil many pants etc. etc. but the actual effects on target won't be anywhere near as impressive as the sheer KE would imply. Throwing metal rods into the ground isn't a great way to destroy anything but bunkers to begin with and it's not even very good at that for reasons discussed. RL it's been realized that a ballistic missile, ideally with a maneuverable RV that can control it's speed, is a far better way of perforating bunker things than space rods from god It's designed, not as bunker busters, but instead, the moment it hits the ground, it exerts the kinetic energy it's picked up, throwing up dirt and everything directly above it.

Either it's a solid tungsten rod or it's a rocket with a rod on top. If it's rocket it still won't do what you want, but it will be much easier to shoot down.

It just doesn't work that way. It will begin disintegrating on impact but it will still begin penetrating the ground even as it begins to disintegrate. It just won't get very far and will disintegrate somewhere inside the ground. You cannot make it vaporize when it touches the ground like a bomb, because it is not a bomb. God rods were never of interest for anything but hard target destruction. Don't take endwar seriously.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Xanixi
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Xanixi » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:41 pm

Licana wrote:
Xanixi wrote:The idea is that the energy exerts the very moment it impacts the ground, which then picks up the dirt and everything above it in a massive shockwave.

...and? This still results in a shit destructive radius that is probably less than the conventional warhead on a cruise missile.

It wouldn't. According to people who work for the USAF, it's possible that this type of weapon has a yield of a small tactical nuclear weapon. I certainly trust them over you.

Xanixi wrote:If I understood it correctly, you mean to say that the rod is a ballistic missile. It's not. Its a massive rod made of tungsten with a rocket attached to it.

No, and I don't know how the hell you managed to get that from the statement I made. I was stating that with godrods you would get a similar destructive radius to a cruise missile (and that's being generous according to some of the guys over NSD) with a cost that far exceeds that of a ballistic missile. It's called reading wrong. You know?

Xanixi wrote:Just made a new post explaining the countermeasures.

The page you linked to explains exactly jack shit other than it uses some form of magic to destroy 99.9999999999% of all ballistic missiles (a claim that is beyond absurd, to be honest). It doesn't even state what type of countermeasures it uses to destroy said ballistic missiles. No, it doesn't. But I did. I said it uses a high-powered laser.

Xanixi wrote:the firing platform is a satellite. That can be constructed on Earth. Like the rest of them.

Large satellites (and I would assume that this would be a "large" satellite, unless it only has a single godrod payload) have to be constructed in orbit. I wouldn't really call them "large". Each satellite carries 12, with the tips of the rods exposed at the bottom (as shown in the picture of the Rods from God site).

Xanixi wrote:They're unmanned, and have solar cells.

Do they replenish the spent godrods using almighty solar magic? Are they self-repairing and maintaining satellites? If the answer to either of these questions is "no", then you still have to resupply them. When you said resupply, I thought you meant the supplies that humans need to survive. I apologize.
Grand Imperial Republic of Thedosia | Galactic Imperial Republic [FT]
DEFCON: [4]; Double Take
| Pop.: 508,191,116 | Area: 24.670.330 km2 | Demonym: Thedosian/Republic/Imperial |
| Military: 5,482,193 | GDP: US$32,842,135,458,524.96 | Lifespan: ~650 y/o |
Dr. Carl Sagan wrote:“They say astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”
Most Astounding Fact
#AupaAtleti #ContigoHastaElFinal
American and Spanish

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Xanixi wrote: I wouldn't really call them "large". Each satellite carries 12, with the tips of the rods exposed at the bottom (as shown in the picture of the Rods from God site).

The ammunition alone weighs in at 8.6 tons per rod, or 103 tons for all 12 of them, the space station has to be big enough to fit them all inside it, as well as fitting the electronics to guide them and have the solar power cells to run the station. The whole thing will probably be bigger than the ISS.

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:09 pm

It wouldn't. According to people who work for the USAF, it's possible that this type of weapon has a yield of a small tactical nuclear weapon. I certainly trust them over you.

Who? I would greatly appreciate seeing a report by any respected military engineer that claims that the destructive capabilities (not impact energy) is equivalent to a tactical nuclear weapon, because I certainly haven't seen nor heard of any.

No, it doesn't. But I did. I said it uses a high-powered laser.

It might as well use magically guided recursively launched hyperspacial missiles, because 99% interception rates are hilariously wank.
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:19 pm

Xanixi wrote:Yes, but, If I understand correctly, Tom Clancy is as realistic as possible. If you notice, Project Thor theorized the use of a 20 foot long, 1 foot diameter tungsten rod. That's what Tom used in his book as well.

Tom Clancy is a fiction writer.

Let me say that again.

Fiction writer.

He is not, nor does he actually try to be, realistic. His name is a running joke amongst defense contractors and analysts. An actual running joke.

He's about as reliable a source of information in military technology as the TV show Little Einsteins, which although it has a Mig-29 in it, is otherwise useless for the subject.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Dostanuot Loj wrote:He's about as reliable a source of information in military technology as the TV show Little Einsteins, which although it has a Mig-29 in it, is otherwise useless for the subject.

I hope you're not implying that Little Einsteins isn't a reliable source for information on military technology... D:<

Supersonic bomber of the Milogradian Airforce obv.
Last edited by Milograd on Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:26 pm

Sounds to me like a project dependant awfully on laboratory conditions, including the density of the terrain it impacts on and the angle relative to the horizon. Basically this is a DIY meteorite?
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:31 pm

Xanixi wrote:
So what happens when I shoot down that satellite Well, uh, you destroy the mechanism? Though it'd be hard, considering the satellite was made to deal with threats like that.

And SAMs are meant to take down aircraft, but Wild Weasel missions have been relatively succesful at taking them down, no?

I'm not MT, PMT.

In EndWar, they describe it as some kind of laser. I'd say that the kind of missile shield described in-game is closer to FT than even PMT.

No, quoting the Wiki; The Wiki gained its information from Endwar, the book. I get my information from Tom Clancy.
Yes, but, If I understand correctly, Tom Clancy is as realistic as possible. If you notice, Project Thor theorized the use of a 20 foot long, 1 foot diameter tungsten rod. That's what Tom used in his book as well.[/quote]

Tom Clancy did good work on his Ryanverse books, and Red Storm Rising was realistic to a degree, however just because Clancy has a reputation doesn't mean that everything he says is going to be gospel. The EndWar wiki is a poor substitute for actual research.

That's why this isn't the real world ;)

The laws of physics still apply. 'THIS IS NSG!' isn't exactly a response to being listed the weaknesses being spelled out for you, and then insisting you're right.
Last edited by Lubyak on Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:34 pm

The Kievan People wrote:Either it's a solid tungsten rod or it's a rocket with a rod on top. If it's rocket it still won't do what you want, but it will be much easier to shoot down.

I believe there was just supposed to be a smallish rocket to kick it out of orbit.

That being said, it's not going to hit the ground going fast enough for hilarious explosive hijinks. It is, however, going to hit fast enough to dig a really deep hole. A really expensive hole.
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

Trivval
Minister

Founded: Sep 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Trivval » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Can anyone see any faults in this?

National Military Structure

The Trivvalian Central Command, otherwise known as the TCC or simply ‘Central’, comprises the entire command staff for both the THAN and the THA. TCC houses the Commanding Board, the executive arm of the THAF, made from representatives from the Ministry of Defense, THA, THAN and other ‘invisible’ branches of the THAF. Since the THA is the largest branch of the THAF, the TCC doubles as General Command Headquarters, or GCHQ. The General-Justa is officially the Field Marshal, or General of the Armed Forces, the primary command lies with the Commander of the Armed Forces, the most Senior member of the Commanding Board, and can be either THA or THAN, who serves a term of four years. The CAF serves on the Commanding Board, however the Chairman of the Board is the Deputy Minister of Defense. The Commanding Board is made up from members of Lieutenant Colonel, or Commander, and above, from all occupations.

Military Regions are geographical area’s that deal with territorial responsibilities, usually following the borders of the Provinces, of which currently there are nine. Each Region has a number of Military Districts that divide the area under it’s control. These districts are mainly focused on the strategic defense of the particular geographical area which they exist in and thus consists of more Combat Brigades than Service or Support units. These combat units are placed under the jurisdiction of the Military Districts. There can be any number of Districts however it depends on the size of the Region. Service and Support units can be drafted from what is known as the National Asset Pool.

The National Asset Pool, known as the NAP, is where the majority of the Army is based. Many Combat units are attached to the Military Districts and Military Regions semi-permanently, with an eight year rotation between the Regions. These forces are often deployed overseas as well as providing home defense in the Region which they are based. The NAP provides the Regions with Support and Service units which are attached at Regional Command level.

A Military District is the highest level of tactical organisation and is equivilant to that of the Expeditionary Army. There are multiple Military Districts in each Region and they represent a geographical entity, usually that of the Territories. Military Districts usually have several Combat Brigades with one Brigade being a Home Defense Force for the duration of it’s rotation and the rest being open to be deployed intra- and extra-territorially. Districts can also have Support and Service units attached to the forces stationed under the District Command. Each District has organic Signals and Air Defense units which do not rotate.

To make up for the lack of high-level tactical units, Brigades can often be organised into Expeditionary Armies for large-scale foreign operations of an offensive or defensive nature. Two or more Expeditionary Armies can form a Force Group. An Expeditionary Army can contain forces from the Army and Navy and can be under joint command. An Army usually comprises of four to ten Brigades, Groups or similar Naval forces. These units can come from Independent Regional Forces, Military Districts, or Militia Restructured Units. An Army can also have separate combat forces which are attached directly at Command Level. All Support and Service assets not attached at Brigade level come from the National Asset Pool.

The Strategic Defense Reserve is a robust force which is primarily concerned with the defense of Swissen, Zano, Port Suran and other high value targets. The SDR’s complete composition is unknown due to security and black reasons. The SDR is placed under the direct control of the TCC and is used to bolster Expeditionary Armies when required. Units posted to the SDR are not rotational and people cannot be posted to them from recruitment. The SDR are second to the SPEOE forces and are often recognised as Special or Irregular troops.

Hedmark
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hedmark » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:54 pm

I return, with the topic of nuclear weapons. From what I've read I'm possibly the only person to post here asking if it was realistic to have such.

I was told the unofficial rule for nuclear missiles was that you needed a population of 100,000,000, or have another country help you. I do not have 100,000,000 yet, I have 68,000,000. I was wondering if nuclear bombs would be sensible, because from what I've read the rule applied to missiles. My second largest industry is Uranium mining, it doesn't show anymore because the automobile industry simply dominates now. I was thinking it would be sensible, to have several bombs ranging in the low kiloton range (Around 23), and I work my way from there. My defense budget is 20%, so I am really sure I have the funds to research this.
5. Peace time, normal readiness.
4. Peace time, increased intelligence, security measures and military readiness. Possibly a Cold War.
3. Peace time, intelligence, security and military readiness are at a level as if it is war time.
2. War, it has been declared or is being declared.
1. War, Weapons of Mass Destruction are being used.
Awaiting Calculation

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Hedmark wrote:I return, with the topic of nuclear weapons. From what I've read I'm possibly the only person to post here asking if it was realistic to have such.

I was told the unofficial rule for nuclear missiles was that you needed a population of 100,000,000, or have another country help you. I do not have 100,000,000 yet, I have 68,000,000. I was wondering if nuclear bombs would be sensible, because from what I've read the rule applied to missiles. My second largest industry is Uranium mining, it doesn't show anymore because the automobile industry simply dominates now. I was thinking it would be sensible, to have several bombs ranging in the low kiloton range (Around 23), and I work my way from there. My defense budget is 20%, so I am really sure I have the funds to research this.

There is no unofficial rule. Some people keep saying there is, but it's not true and it's stupid.

Nuclear research happens over years and decades, so it doesn't really matter what your defense budget is so long as you're not dirt poor (which no one actually RPs anyway). So, yes, you can have nukes. You can have ICBMs, too. You can have what you'd like.
:: Absolutely Orwellian :: Positively Kafkaesque ::
:: Undeviatingly the Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Four ::
:: IIWiki :: The Local Cluster (FT) :: NSFT Community Discord :: IIWiki Community Discord
Up on the housetop Santhbots pause;
Peace torn apart by steely claws!
Does it bring gifts of fun and games?
Nay, 'tis the king of acid rains!
Where can we flee from Santhbot's path?
No place is sheltered from his wrath!
Cyborg horror of the skies,
Flee! Save your children! Santhbot rides!
Proprietor of IIwiki :: santh dot ns, gmail for any iiwiki inquiries (and only iiwiki inquiries)
NS RP Community Manager - my TGs are open for RP community management/moderation purposes

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:06 pm

Trivval wrote:Can anyone see any faults in this?

The Trivvalian Central Command, otherwise known as the TCC or simply ‘Central’, comprises the entire command staff for both the THAN and the THA. TCC houses the Commanding Board, the executive arm of the THAF, made from representatives from the Ministry of Defense, THA, THAN and other ‘invisible’ branches of the THAF. Since the THA is the largest branch of the THAF, the TCC doubles as General Command Headquarters, or GCHQ. The General-Justa is officially the Field Marshal, or General of the Armed Forces, the primary command lies with the Commander of the Armed Forces, the most Senior member of the Commanding Board, and can be either THA or THAN, who serves a term of four years. The CAF serves on the Commanding Board, however the Chairman of the Board is the Deputy Minister of Defense. The Commanding Board is made up from members of Lieutenant Colonel, or Commander, and above, from all occupations.

Military Regions are geographical area’s that deal with territorial responsibilities, usually following the borders of the Provinces, of which currently there are nine. Each Region has a number of Military Districts that divide the area under it’s control. These districts are mainly focused on the strategic defense of the particular geographical area which they exist in and thus consists of more Combat Brigades than Service or Support units. These combat units are placed under the jurisdiction of the Military Districts. There can be any number of Districts however it depends on the size of the Region. Service and Support units can be drafted from what is known as the National Asset Pool.

The National Asset Pool, known as the NAP, is where the majority of the Army is based. Many Combat units are attached to the Military Districts and Military Regions semi-permanently, with an eight year rotation between the Regions. These forces are often deployed overseas as well as providing home defense in the Region which they are based. The NAP provides the Regions with Support and Service units which are attached at Regional Command level.

A Military District is the highest level of tactical organisation and is equivilant to that of the Expeditionary Army. There are multiple Military Districts in each Region and they represent a geographical entity, usually that of the Territories. Military Districts usually have several Combat Brigades with one Brigade being a Home Defense Force for the duration of it’s rotation and the rest being open to be deployed intra- and extra-territorially. Districts can also have Support and Service units attached to the forces stationed under the District Command. Each District has organic Signals and Air Defense units which do not rotate.

To make up for the lack of high-level tactical units, Brigades can often be organised into Expeditionary Armies for large-scale foreign operations of an offensive or defensive nature. Two or more Expeditionary Armies can form a Force Group. An Expeditionary Army can contain forces from the Army and Navy and can be under joint command. An Army usually comprises of four to ten Brigades, Groups or similar Naval forces. These units can come from Independent Regional Forces, Military Districts, or Militia Restructured Units. An Army can also have separate combat forces which are attached directly at Command Level. All Support and Service assets not attached at Brigade level come from the National Asset Pool.

The Strategic Defense Reserve is a robust force which is primarily concerned with the defense of Swissen, Zano, Port Suran and other high value targets. The SDR’s complete composition is unknown due to security and black reasons. The SDR is placed under the direct control of the TCC and is used to bolster Expeditionary Armies when required. Units posted to the SDR are not rotational and people cannot be posted to them from recruitment. The SDR are second to the SPEOE forces and are often recognised as Special or Irregular troops.

I can see a few nitpicks but nothing outrageous. most obviously you refer to districts as having a strategic responsiblity. then refer to them as the highest level of tactical formation. perhaps you meant say the regions where responsible for strategic defense?
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Hedmark
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hedmark » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:15 pm

Santheres wrote:
Hedmark wrote:I return, with the topic of nuclear weapons. From what I've read I'm possibly the only person to post here asking if it was realistic to have such.

There is no unofficial rule. Some people keep saying there is, but it's not true and it's stupid.

Nuclear research happens over years and decades, so it doesn't really matter what your defense budget is so long as you're not dirt poor (which no one actually RPs anyway). So, yes, you can have nukes. You can have ICBMs, too. You can have what you'd like.

OK then, thank you for the answer. I'm not sure I'm going to be here for decades though :P

I think I'll wait until 100,000,000 for missiles, may change my mind though, seeing as there are unstable states with nuclear material out there. Probably going to develop IRBMs or ALBMs after the bombs.
5. Peace time, normal readiness.
4. Peace time, increased intelligence, security measures and military readiness. Possibly a Cold War.
3. Peace time, intelligence, security and military readiness are at a level as if it is war time.
2. War, it has been declared or is being declared.
1. War, Weapons of Mass Destruction are being used.
Awaiting Calculation

Trivval
Minister

Founded: Sep 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Trivval » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:40 pm

The UK in Exile wrote:
Trivval wrote:Can anyone see any faults in this?

I can see a few nitpicks but nothing outrageous. most obviously you refer to districts as having a strategic responsiblity. then refer to them as the highest level of tactical formation. perhaps you meant say the regions where responsible for strategic defense?

Oh, sorry, yes they mainly have a strategic responsibility, however they are equivelant to what Divisions would normally be in a home defense/non-combat role.

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:11 pm

No one will yell at you for having 5 million population and using nukes, they're going to yell at you if you spam threads and be a faggot, who goes around posting "lol i in ur base nookin ur doodz post loses".

If you can type a paragraph like that, the guideline is not intended for you.
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11
I love Rebecca Black

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 pm

I have a bit of a question. My military is a bit small as compared to my population plus I spend nearly 41% of my budget on military spending alone. With these figures, is it possible to maintain a well-equipped/trained and technologically advanced military?

Population Size: 1.611 billion
Military Size: 95,000,000,

Total GDP: $10,086,200,193,067.25
Military Budget: $3,804,514,712,824.97 (41%)
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

This nation is now IC-ly known as the Teutonic Reich.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:02 am

The Greater Aryan Race wrote:I have a bit of a question. My military is a bit small as compared to my population plus I spend nearly 41% of my budget on military spending alone. With these figures, is it possible to maintain a well-equipped/trained and technologically advanced military?

Population Size: 1.611 billion
Military Size: 95,000,000,

Total GDP: $10,086,200,193,067.25
Military Budget: $3,804,514,712,824.97 (41%)

No. Your military budget is too high and your military too large. Try to limit your standing military to 1% of your population and your budget to 5% of your GDP. Most RL nations fit very well into that region including the US, UK, Russia, and China. Not to mention Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Belgium and the Scandinavian countries.

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 am

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:No. Your military budget is too high and your military too large. Try to limit your standing military to 1% of your population and your budget to 5% of your GDP. Most RL nations fit very well into that region including the US, UK, Russia, and China. Not to mention Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Belgium and the Scandinavian countries.

What happens if one's military budget is too high?
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:22 am

The Greater Aryan Race wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:No. Your military budget is too high and your military too large. Try to limit your standing military to 1% of your population and your budget to 5% of your GDP. Most RL nations fit very well into that region including the US, UK, Russia, and China. Not to mention Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Belgium and the Scandinavian countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Union

Generally something along those lines.
Last edited by The Soviet Technocracy on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11
I love Rebecca Black

Transnistria-Pridnestrovie
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Transnistria-Pridnestrovie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:26 am

What about me?

Official population: 370 million
Current military size: 450,000
Current military budget: 393,195,539,520.00 (16% of GDP)

I'm just cautious about getting called out in any future RP's. What would be the quality of these forces given my military spending? I am equipped with modernized Former Soviet and warsaw pact equipment (like in RL)
Last edited by Transnistria-Pridnestrovie on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strong and peaceful, wise and brave,
Fighting the fight for the whole world to see,
We the people will ceaselessly strive
To keep our great revolution alive!
Unfurl the banners! Look at the sky!
Never before has such glory been seen!

Transnistria! Transnistria! Transnistria, 'tis for thee!
Every deed, every thought, 'tis for thee!

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:27 am

The Soviet Technocracy wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea

Lol, I was expecting something along those lines but GWO doesn't seem to be going bankrupt.

Novraslavia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Novraslavia » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:31 am

Oh, it has nothing to do with your budget. It all depends on the percent of your nation's GDP you spend on military expenditures. If the percentage is too high, then you don't have enough of your GDP left to put into other government programs.

The Soviet Technocracy wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea

Oh please, not even close. Try Eritrea and Saudi Arabia.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information