NATION

PASSWORD

School Damage

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Bendira
Senator

Founded: Apr 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

School Damage

Postby Bendira » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:36 pm

So you are forced to government schools, backed by taxpayer dollars. You are obviously taught things in a completely one sided way (especially in history, where the telling of it depends on which side won). Children are essentially forced into segregation in the form of cliques out of racial/social tensions. Many students who are rotting inside a classroom would much rather be doing vocational work. Sometimes the students are more qualified to teach the classes than the teaches. Your freedom of movement is restricted by draconian rules, such as hall passes and bathroom passes. You are taught to respect a central authority figure (teacher). You are not allowed free speech in a classroom. Kids are bullied and humiliated. Kids are taught that things like sports actually matter, with sports players being allowed to cheat on tests. Kids are put through stress over relentless tests and busy work.

So what exactly is the allure of the public education system?

Please note that I personally am not advocating any specific alternative in this OP, which is just questioning the current system without inherently presenting a different system of education. So please refrain from the typical "your an anarchist so you think kids should be stupid and uneducated and get killed" statements.
Political Compass:

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:39 pm

Bendira wrote:So you are forced to government schools, backed by taxpayer dollars. You are obviously taught things in a completely one sided way (especially in history, where the telling of it depends on which side won). Children are essentially forced into segregation in the form of cliques out of racial/social tensions. Many students who are rotting inside a classroom would much rather be doing vocational work. Sometimes the students are more qualified to teach the classes than the teaches. Your freedom of movement is restricted by draconian rules, such as hall passes and bathroom passes. You are taught to respect a central authority figure (teacher). You are not allowed free speech in a classroom. Kids are bullied and humiliated. Kids are taught that things like sports actually matter, with sports players being allowed to cheat on tests. Kids are put through stress over relentless tests and busy work.

Please note that I personally am not advocating any specific alternative in this OP, which is just questioning the current system without inherently presenting a different system of education. So please refrain from the typical "your an anarchist so you think kids should be stupid and uneducated and get killed" statements.

It's not ideal, but it's the best we have until the Vulcans take over.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:42 pm

Children should devote their waking hours to the worship of Al Gore.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:43 pm

Imsogone wrote:
Bendira wrote:So you are forced to government schools, backed by taxpayer dollars. You are obviously taught things in a completely one sided way (especially in history, where the telling of it depends on which side won). Children are essentially forced into segregation in the form of cliques out of racial/social tensions. Many students who are rotting inside a classroom would much rather be doing vocational work. Sometimes the students are more qualified to teach the classes than the teaches. Your freedom of movement is restricted by draconian rules, such as hall passes and bathroom passes. You are taught to respect a central authority figure (teacher). You are not allowed free speech in a classroom. Kids are bullied and humiliated. Kids are taught that things like sports actually matter, with sports players being allowed to cheat on tests. Kids are put through stress over relentless tests and busy work.

Or the Finnish, since they have a very good educational system afaik.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:08 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Imsogone wrote:

Yeah that's the one where the funding follows the student. SO if your child is getting a crappy education in one school you transfer him to another school, and the funding follows him.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Kalibarr
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalibarr » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:11 pm

greed and death wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

Yeah that's the one where the funding follows the student. SO if your child is getting a crappy education in one school you transfer him to another school, and the funding follows him.

America has that too...

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Kalibarr wrote:
greed and death wrote:Yeah that's the one where the funding follows the student. SO if your child is getting a crappy education in one school you transfer him to another school, and the funding follows him.

America has that too...

No we don't.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Imsogone wrote:It's not ideal, but it's the best we have until the Vulcans take over.

Home school? Private school? Public hardly seems like the best.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Kalibarr wrote:
greed and death wrote:Yeah that's the one where the funding follows the student. SO if your child is getting a crappy education in one school you transfer him to another school, and the funding follows him.

America has that too...

NO every time we try that the left screams about OMG tax money will be sent to private schools.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:18 pm

Oh, you know, silly things like universal literacy, basic scientific literacy, basic history, not thinking things like 'The Sun Revolves around the Earth' or 'Diseases are caused by God's will'

Silly things, I'm sure you'll agree. Who needs an education in this day and age?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:19 pm

Der Teutoniker wrote:

Home school? Now you have not only imperfect teachers in the school system, now you have UNQUALIFIED teachers as well? There's a reason why teachers go through college. Private school? Far too many are religiously oriented.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:19 pm

Der Teutoniker wrote:
Imsogone wrote:It's not ideal, but it's the best we have until the Vulcans take over.

What about those without the time for home school or the money for private, how will parents both hold jobs without a facility to occupy thier children in the meantime.

Public school is fine, want better then pay more taxes.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:20 pm

Also, the bit about free speech being banned is entirely untrue, as demonstrated by Tinker vs. Des Moines Independent Community School District

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:21 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Der Teutoniker wrote:

Home school? Now you have not only imperfect teachers in the school system, now you have UNQUALIFIED teachers as well? There's a reason why teachers go through college. Private school? Far too many are religiously oriented.

At least in the Netherlands the religious schools are pretty much also public schools. Ah, the price we pay for democracy :p
Last edited by The Blaatschapen on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rokartian States
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rokartian States » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:21 pm

Der Teutoniker wrote:

Private school? Far too many are religiously oriented.

Not to mention the exacerbation of the prominence of economic inequality.
Note: My nation does not necessarily represent my true political views.

Southern United Africa wrote:Say "pray" over and over in quick succession. I dare you.

Jobbla wrote:hey dude my bitch is a mod on this site shes gonna punish you for squealing on me!

Norstal wrote:That is egotistical on so many level. Its like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, except theres one 1 degree and its your ego.

Sozut wrote:IT IS DEFINITELY BIRDS!

Sibirsky wrote:The truth is, you ideology has failed, will continue to fail, and is made of fail.

Embrihated Koalas wrote:SO THEIR BALLS ARE INERT

Cnetral america wrote:you have int got the flu soooo long it cagt you up
:geek:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:22 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:At least in the Netherlands the religious schools are pretty much also public schools. The joys of our system :unsure:

Ah, poor Europe. Thousands of years of beautiful history and it ends up biting you in the ass. :p

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:22 pm

Rokartian States wrote:Not to mention the exacerbation of the prominence of economic inequality.

I assumed (Perhaps incorrectly, but perhaps not) that Der Teutoniker was speaking of the voucher concept.

CIB EMPIRE
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby CIB EMPIRE » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:23 pm

Well, as usual the problem is the government. Get the government out of the school system and let the private schools take over, they would actually have to do a good job or they would fail because parents wouldnt send their kids to them. Not to mention lower taxes!
Join the Anti World Assembly

The AWA is dedicated to bringing down the World Assembly. Nations need the WA's permission to invading a region because only WA nations may invade!The WA is able to condemn non members but not vice versa. Members are forced to comply with the many unjust laws the WA imposes onto them. No one truely runs their own nation, you serve as a mere puppet of the WA unless you decide to do something about it! Others say it cant be done but why do so many try and stop us? The answer is simple, the WA can be brought down if enough nations band together and stand against it! The AWA is commited to uniteing all regions that are against the WA because a unified force will be unstopable! So join us and become part of the biggest thing that this game has ever seen!

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:24 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:At least in the Netherlands the religious schools are pretty much also public schools. The joys of our system :unsure:

Ah, poor Europe. Thousands of years of beautiful history and it ends up biting you in the ass. :p

I changed the my post. Now it is even better.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the same in all/most of Europe. I somehow doubt it actually.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:24 pm

Bendira wrote:So you are forced to government schools, backed by taxpayer dollars.

You can go to private or home based schools.

You are obviously taught things in a completely one sided way (especially in history, where the telling of it depends on which side won).

To be fair, I never had that in English, and science and math are things that kinda have to be taught that way, because that is what they are.

Children are essentially forced into segregation in the form of cliques out of racial/social tensions.

No one is forcing kids into cliques, and I have seen plenty of cliques that pass discrimination tests.

Many students who are rotting inside a classroom would much rather be doing vocational work.

The only place I can think of where that would be true is in high school, and even so, most high schools offer various courses (some like woodworking, work study, etc.)

Sometimes the students are more qualified to teach the classes than the teaches

If you are saying some teachers are idiots, sure. The answer to that is to fire them.

Your freedom of movement is restricted by draconian rules, such as hall passes and bathroom passes.

Because you can't just have 8 year olds walking out of class for any reason. The school needs to know where the kids are, or face liability when something happens to one of them.

You are taught to respect a central authority figure (teacher).

Because that's how children understand things. At home, you are taught to respect central authority figures, parents (oh noez, they is making tyranny!!11!!). In the political realm they are taught to respect the President (because that is the authority figure of the US government- once they develop, they learn he isn't all powerful). In the religious realm, they are taught to obey their priest, until they can develop enough to reason out their own theology. This isn't new.

You are not allowed free speech in a classroom.

School classes have open ended discussion, especially as one gets older. But even so, it's a regardless matter, since kids cannot fully exercise their freedoms.

Kids are bullied and humiliated.

How so?

Kids are taught that things like sports actually matter,

Because physical fitness should just sit by the wayside, in lieu of rising obesity rates.

with sports players being allowed to cheat on tests.

Going to give my proof of widespread institutionalized cheating for sports players on tests.

Kids are put through stress over relentless tests and busy work.

Adults are put through stress over work and food.

Something that teaches kids that seams to be free upfront.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:24 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Also, the bit about free speech being banned is entirely untrue, as demonstrated by Tinker vs. Des Moines Independent Community School District

Shhhhh. Don't confuse the issue with FACTS.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:24 pm

CIB EMPIRE wrote:Well, as usual the problem is the government. Get the government out of the school system and let the private schools take over, they would actually have to do a good job or they would fail because parents wouldnt send their kids to them. Not to mention lower taxes!

But the opinion of the parents is not always what's best. You confuse majority opinion with what is correct. If a thousand people speak of the moon being made of cheese, and fifty that of it being rock, who is correct? The thousand due to numerical superiority? Or the fifty due to actual factual correctness?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:25 pm

Katganistan wrote:Shhhhh. Don't confuse the issue with FACTS.

Oh, I keep forgetting that politics and facts go terrible together. I'll be quiet now. :lol:
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rokartian States
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rokartian States » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:25 pm

Rokartian States wrote:Not to mention the exacerbation of the prominence of economic inequality.

I assumed (Perhaps incorrectly, but perhaps not) that Der Teutoniker was speaking of the voucher concept.

I think it was actually I who made the assumption here. I forgot about that system entirely.
Last edited by Rokartian States on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: My nation does not necessarily represent my true political views.

Southern United Africa wrote:Say "pray" over and over in quick succession. I dare you.

Jobbla wrote:hey dude my bitch is a mod on this site shes gonna punish you for squealing on me!

Norstal wrote:That is egotistical on so many level. Its like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, except theres one 1 degree and its your ego.

Sozut wrote:IT IS DEFINITELY BIRDS!

Sibirsky wrote:The truth is, you ideology has failed, will continue to fail, and is made of fail.

Embrihated Koalas wrote:SO THEIR BALLS ARE INERT

Cnetral america wrote:you have int got the flu soooo long it cagt you up
:geek:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:26 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:I changed the my post. Now it is even better.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the same in all/most of Europe. I somehow doubt it actually.

I hear that Italy has a similar problem. Not sure if it's true or not.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General