NATION

PASSWORD

36 dead so far at Ghost Ship Warehouse Rave

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:23 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Jumalariik wrote:Muh Free Stuff For "Starving Artists" 420 Blaze ACAB

This is totally the evil government's uptight fault, why do they have regulationz

"Several people died tragically in a fire. Time to mock them, the survivors, and their families by accusing them of being entitled crybabies." I'm still really confused by your conversion to the religious right. You used to be a really compassionate person that tried to think of how Jesus would actually respond to these issues. It makes me sad to be honest.

Fresh converts are always the most fanatical.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:01 pm

Deimosan wrote:So they didn't have the expenses or consideration to buy a few ABC extinguishers in an abandoned building with flammable material all around them?

:clap:

Good job, rave planners. You just caused the death of several or more people.

Well it was technically Illegal so my guess is that they didn't want to get shut down if they followed all safety regulations
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Lunalia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunalia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:23 pm

Beruka wrote:
Gig em Aggies wrote:http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/9-killed-in-oakland-warehouse-fire-dozens-more-feared-dead/ar-AAl6lRL?li=BBnb7Kz

Saw this on the news last night and early this morning authorities expect that the death toll at a warehouse fire where a rave was taking place in Oakland, California to be as high as 40 but 9 people are confirmed dead right now. There still shifting through the structure but are cautious as the structural integrity may have been jeopardized due to the fire no word yet on the cause of the blaze.

When I heard about this I didn't expect to have anyone dying but to have possibly up to 40 people dead from this its just to much sometime. I mean going to a rave and having fun then next thing your fighting for your life inside of a building fire. This reminds me ofthe Coconut Grove fire that killed 492 people in Boston back in November of 1942.

So what do you people think?

It's things like this that are the reason I don't go to raves. Call me paranoid, but dying in a freak rave fire isn't high on my to-do list.

But in all seriousness, these raves have to buck up on their safety standards, so stuff like this doesn't happen at all.

In reading extensively about fires like this, the problem isn't generally the safety standards. The problem is when individual inspectors are so overworked that they don't have time to learn what the standards are, or to actually conduct all the tests they're supposed to, such as testing decorations to see if they're flammable. Unfortunately, that's something I don't see improving any time soon because I'm pretty sure fire inspectors are members of the bureaucracy that Trump has promised to downsize, and we need more, full time, not fewer, part time, everywhere, to truly make a difference.

The owners of places like this tend to be operating on the thinnest of shoestring budgets, and "we'll just be careful" is often used to justify, in their heads, not taking appropriate safety precautions, because being careful isn't something they have to pay for. And there's a psychological factor at work too, if people are expecting a spectacle and to have a good time, it often takes them valuable time they could be using to escape to make the mental switch from "having a good time enjoying the show" to "I need to run for my life that isn't part of the show" when a fire starts. So you have people ignoring a fire while it's small and containable and could be hit with a jacket or something to smash it out, and only realizing it's a threat when it's already grown past the point it could be contained by anything makeshift. Combine that with fire inspectors who aren't necessarily indifferent, just very poorly trained, or even indifferent or actively corrupt, and you have a recipe for disaster that doesn't really reveal itself until the disaster happens, especially since some corrupt fire inspectors don't even realize they're corrupt. "Oh, I know Joe, he's so careful, I know a fire could never happen at his place, it has to be up to code" is still corruption even if the person thinking it doesn't think of it as such.
Last edited by Lunalia on Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wikkiwallana wrote:
Auralia wrote:
The Catholic Church teaches that participation in gay "commitment ceremonies" is wrong.

You may not have noticed, but New Mexico is not located in Vatican City.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:45 pm

Will the planners be fined or arrested?
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:00 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:Will the planners be fined or arrested?

only if their found to be at fault for negligent homicide or negligence. but if it was completely an accident then no one will be at fault for the fire.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:45 pm

Lunalia wrote:In reading extensively about fires like this, the problem isn't generally the safety standards. The problem is when individual inspectors are so overworked that they don't have time to learn what the standards are, or to actually conduct all the tests they're supposed to, such as testing decorations to see if they're flammable.

The building was still under investigation when the fire occurred. It had already received numerous complaints for other issues but it was under investigation, so it's not like authorities were not acting.

The owners of places like this tend to be operating on the thinnest of shoestring budgets, and "we'll just be careful" is often used to justify, in their heads, not taking appropriate safety precautions, because being careful isn't something they have to pay for.

I'm fairly sure the owners are not those who occupied the building, because if they allowed this illegal residency and illegal party to take place, they would be held liable. Not to mention I doubt they'd have allowed this building to become so unsafe, unless they happen to be really shitty people.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:53 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Lunalia wrote:In reading extensively about fires like this, the problem isn't generally the safety standards. The problem is when individual inspectors are so overworked that they don't have time to learn what the standards are, or to actually conduct all the tests they're supposed to, such as testing decorations to see if they're flammable.

The building was still under investigation when the fire occurred. It had already received numerous complaints for other issues but it was under investigation, so it's not like authorities were not acting.

The owners of places like this tend to be operating on the thinnest of shoestring budgets, and "we'll just be careful" is often used to justify, in their heads, not taking appropriate safety precautions, because being careful isn't something they have to pay for.

I'm fairly sure the owners are not those who occupied the building, because if they allowed this illegal residency and illegal party to take place, they would be held liable. Not to mention I doubt they'd have allowed this building to become so unsafe, unless they happen to be really shitty people.

From what information I have gathered the building in question was legally abandoned
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:55 pm

Thermodolia wrote:From what information I have gathered the building in question was legally abandoned

Well isn't that convenient. A legally abandoned building overtaken by hipsters and turned into a tinderbox.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:07 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Zeinbrad wrote:Will the planners be fined or arrested?

only if their found to be at fault for negligent homicide or negligence. but if it was completely an accident then no one will be at fault for the fire.

Holding a rave in a thrice-cited warehouse notorious for shit conditions isn't negligent now?
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:12 pm

Gauthier wrote:Holding a rave in a thrice-cited warehouse notorious for shit conditions isn't negligent now?

Who exactly can be blamed at this stage? The occupants might because they were living there illegally and turned the place into a proverbial tinderbox but they could easily say they're not responsible because it's up to the owners to ensure a building is safe. However, the building is legally abandoned.

I would not be surprised if people blame the city authorities for not shutting down it down earlier but at the same time, no one is going to announce an illegal rave to authorities because the latter will shut it down.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:36 pm

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-night-of-music-and-dance-turns-into-a-deadly-inferno-at-oakland-warehouse/ar-AAl7Nzx?li=BBnb7Kz

Update: investigators join search in Deadly Oakland Warehouse rave as the death toll rises to 33 with only 35% OT the area searched.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:38 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-night-of-music-and-dance-turns-into-a-deadly-inferno-at-oakland-warehouse/ar-AAl7Nzx?li=BBnb7Kz

Update: investigators join search in Deadly Oakland Warehouse rave as the death toll rises to 33 with only 35% OT the area searched.

This is going to be one of the worst fires in US history
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:42 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Gig em Aggies wrote:http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-night-of-music-and-dance-turns-into-a-deadly-inferno-at-oakland-warehouse/ar-AAl7Nzx?li=BBnb7Kz

This is going to be one of the worst fires in US history

Well it depends on how many are still missing. IIRC the worst fire in terms of deaths in this kind of event was the Coconut Grove Fire in Boston in 1942 that killed 492 people.

Neo-Ixania
Envoy

Founded: Nov 21, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Ixania » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:08 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:This is going to be one of the worst fires in US history

Well it depends on how many are still missing. IIRC the worst fire in terms of deaths in this kind of event was the Coconut Grove Fire in Boston in 1942 that killed 492 people.

It is already being listed as the deadliest fire in Oakland's history, the deadliest event in the city since the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989 and one of the deadliest fires in the US in the last fifty years.

Costa Fierro wrote:
Gauthier wrote:Holding a rave in a thrice-cited warehouse notorious for shit conditions isn't negligent now?

Who exactly can be blamed at this stage?

The owner of the property and the organizer of the party deserve the blame.
Last edited by Neo-Ixania on Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Veteran of the Jolt Forums.
Monarch: Anastasia II, Empress of Ixania.
New Kereptica wrote:OOC: Because casus belli are for sissies.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:58 am

Death toll updated to 36 people firefighters had to halt search due to structural damage caused by the fire. I heard this coming from CNN & The New York Times.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:14 am

Jumalariik wrote:That's really sad, I hope that will never happen again.

Hopefully people won't use this to demand more entitlements that they don't deserve.

They have called off the search for bodies/survivors, because of the dangerous condition of the building. The death toll will certainly rise.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Frank Zipper
Senator

Founded: Nov 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Frank Zipper » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:34 am

Costa Fierro wrote:Well isn't that convenient. A legally abandoned building overtaken by hipsters and turned into a tinderbox.

Beards - the killer firehazard you never expected!
Put this in your signature if you are easily led.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:54 am

LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Neo-Ixania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Ixania » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:55 am

Damn straight it could've. And you just know - you just know - both the owner and the operator will get 'emselves some slimy lawyers and try to defend themselves, no matter how much the evidence mounts.

We have seen this story before.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:08 am

Neo-Ixania wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:This could have been prevented.

Damn straight it could've. And you just know - you just know - both the owner and the operator will get 'emselves some slimy lawyers and try to defend themselves, no matter how much the evidence mounts.

And knowing how the world is... they get off scot-free for the criminal but hammered in civil court.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Neo-Ixania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Ixania » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:19 am

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Neo-Ixania wrote:

And knowing how the world is... they get off scot-free for the criminal but hammered in civil court.

They need to get the max amount of hammering possible. Both deliberately ignored the issues at hand, allowing 36 (and counting) people to lose their lives needlessly.

Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:31 am

Neo-Ixania wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:And knowing how the world is... they get off scot-free for the criminal but hammered in civil court.

They need to get the max amount of hammering possible. Both deliberately ignored the issues at hand, allowing 36 (and counting) people to lose their lives needlessly.

No, see, this is all according to plan. Now the free market will ensure that nobody goes to their raves again and nobody will die next time until the next time *nods*

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:39 am

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Neo-Ixania wrote:

Very possibly, yes.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Setgavarius
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Setgavarius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:37 am

Alvecia wrote:
Neo-Ixania wrote:

No, see, this is all according to plan. Now the free market will ensure that nobody goes to their raves again and nobody will die next time until the next time *nods*

because losing moneyz is the perfect penalty to levy against the wealthy when confronted with suits due to their failure to self-regulate
The Planetary Administration of Setgavarius,
The World of Snark

Core Colony of The United Colonies of Earth.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General