NATION

PASSWORD

36 dead so far at Ghost Ship Warehouse Rave

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lunalia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunalia » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:00 pm

Neo-Ixania wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:This could have been prevented.

Damn straight it could've. And you just know - you just know - both the owner and the operator will get 'emselves some slimy lawyers and try to defend themselves, no matter how much the evidence mounts.

We have seen this story before.

That's not even the biggest issue. Lawsuits forcing those responsible to pay damages can pull in other defendants, such as the manufacturers of the flammable materials that started the fire, or any advertisers working with the party who are found to have not been sufficiently careful in ensuring that their money/products were being used responsibly, in an effort to collect enough money to pay for injuries and damages, but from reading up on this I don't think there were any wealthy sponsors involved. And the people who remodeled the warehouse seem to have done a good job of ignoring warnings, so that kind of absolves the manufacturer of materials of blame.

Even if the owner and operator don't get slimy lawyers, and eventually are forced to pay damages, the damages can't exceed the amount of money they have. And they don't have enough on their own.
Wikkiwallana wrote:
Auralia wrote:
The Catholic Church teaches that participation in gay "commitment ceremonies" is wrong.

You may not have noticed, but New Mexico is not located in Vatican City.

Dark Triads
Secretary

Founded: Dec 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dark Triads » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:38 am

Jumalariik wrote:That's really sad, I hope that will never happen again.

Hopefully people won't use this to demand more entitlements that they don't deserve.

Hopefully people won't use this incident to demean drug users--

Jumalariik wrote:Muh Free Stuff For "Starving Artists" 420 Blaze ACAB

This is totally the evil government's uptight fault, why do they have regulationz

Oh, too late.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:51 am

Another update: Police have stated they searched roughly 80-90% of the structure and expect to find no more bodies death toll still remains at 36. ATF investigators indicate that a possible source of the fire that broke out in Oakland could have come from a refrigerator or another appliance on the first floor near the back of the Ghost Ship warehouse in Oakland, California. Investigators say if any charges are brought it could range from involuntary manslaughter to murder. Many responded angrily to a comment made by the planner or owner of the Ghost Ship as he stated I've lost everything I've worked for. Some ask why he was so concerned for his stuff instead of the 36 lives that were lost at his establishment.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:01 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:Another update: Police have stated they searched roughly 80-90% of the structure and expect to find no more bodies death toll still remains at 36. ATF investigators indicate that a possible source of the fire that broke out in Oakland could have come from a refrigerator or another appliance on the first floor near the back of the Ghost Ship warehouse in Oakland, California. Investigators say if any charges are brought it could range from involuntary manslaughter to murder. Many responded angrily to a comment made by the planner or owner of the Ghost Ship as he stated I've lost everything I've worked for. Some ask why he was so concerned for his stuff instead of the 36 lives that were lost at his establishment.

Damn what a pretentious asshole that guy is
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:49 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Gig em Aggies wrote:Another update: Police have stated they searched roughly 80-90% of the structure and expect to find no more bodies death toll still remains at 36. ATF investigators indicate that a possible source of the fire that broke out in Oakland could have come from a refrigerator or another appliance on the first floor near the back of the Ghost Ship warehouse in Oakland, California. Investigators say if any charges are brought it could range from involuntary manslaughter to murder. Many responded angrily to a comment made by the planner or owner of the Ghost Ship as he stated I've lost everything I've worked for. Some ask why he was so concerned for his stuff instead of the 36 lives that were lost at his establishment.

Damn what a pretentious asshole that guy is

He's exactly why I don't like hipsters.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:06 am

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Damn what a pretentious asshole that guy is

He's exactly why I don't like hipsters.

That's not exactly fair, meaning not all hipsters can be labeled like him I would say he's a self centered hipster concerned for only himself. Plus hipster is a general term way to broad to be used like that.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:13 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:He's exactly why I don't like hipsters.

That's not exactly fair, meaning not all hipsters can be labeled like him I would say he's a self centered hipster concerned for only himself. Plus hipster is a general term way to broad to be used like that.

The man in question is a living specimen of the stereotypical pretentious hipster. And cares more about himself than the fate of others who died in his warehouse.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:17 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:

I'm curious as to what a hipster ghost story would be like.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:20 am

Gauthier wrote:
Gig em Aggies wrote:That's not exactly fair, meaning not all hipsters can be labeled like him I would say he's a self centered hipster concerned for only himself. Plus hipster is a general term way to broad to be used like that.

I'm curious as to what a hipster ghost story would be like.

Someone haunted before it was cool.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:52 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:

While not all hipsters are self centered narcissists, self centered narcissism and hipster go together like peanut butter and jelly. While not all hipsters are like him many are, and he perfectly embodies the modern hipster in general.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Rozlanada
Civilian

Founded: Nov 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

video interview with warehouse landlord

Postby Rozlanada » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:35 am

The guy whose name was on the lease and who profited off illegally renting out warehouse space to people was interviewed by the Today Show. He had an absolute 4 minute melt down where he refused to take any type of ownership for his actions as a slumlord and claimed that he was forced to put his name on the lease, even though he profited financially.

Here's the video:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/oak ... b3139925c1

A few pieces of trivia about him before you watch:
- he apparently accepted non-refundable payments of $700 from each of his illegal tenants for safety changes he never made
- his three children were taken from him by CPS
- more concerned about "everything he had built" being lost than the lives of those people
- the warehouse is legally owned by a Chinese investor and is NOT up to code for residential. the city had received complaints before and he instructed his tenants to lie and claim they worked late nights and did not sleep there, even though he admits on camera that they allowed their children to sleep there (note that they were taken by CPS...)

What a total scumbag.
Last edited by Rozlanada on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General