NATION

PASSWORD

Heckler+Koch declines to sell arms outside of NATO

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

'muh guns.

Germany should lift restrictions to retain their share of the market.
31%
Other western nations should fill the gap left by germany.
21%
We should refuse to sell weapons to non-allies, potentially allowing them to drift into other countries influence.
38%
We should attempt to prevent arms sales to countries we disagree with, even from other nations.
10%

Total votes : 29

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Heckler+Koch declines to sell arms outside of NATO

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:56 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-germa ... SKBN13N1JQ

Heckler and Koch have declared they will no longer sell weapons to any countries not in NATO.

Responsible capitalism? Not quite.

German arms manufacturer Heckler & Koch will no longer sign contracts to supply countries outside of NATO's influence because it has become too difficult to obtain government approval for such deals, news agency DPA reported on Monday.

Turkey is also ruled out.

The company, one of the world's best-known gunmakers, will in future only sell to countries that are democratic and free from corruption and that are members of NATO or NATO members' partners, DPA said, citing company sources.

It said this change in strategy would rule out deals with countries such as Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Brazil, India or even NATO member Turkey.

This is fairly big.
Its HK416 assault rifle is said to have been used to kill Osama bin Laden and its G36 rifle is standard issue for armies across the globe.

This means re-fitting for a lot of armies, probably a hit to this sector of Germanies economy, and a mad scramble from other arms dealing countries to fill the gap, representing a potential geopolitical shakeup that could see countries re-align toward the nation selling to them. (For instance, Russia, the UK, or the USA.)

The likelihood is that if the US or UK are pressured into not replacing the german arms, the russians will or someone else will.

It does also mean that, in corporatist terms, at least one major arms manufacturer now has a vested interest in lobbying against arms sales to the middle east.

Discuss?
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:58 pm

Obviously non-NATO countries aren't operator enough
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

Spaceman Spliff
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Spaceman Spliff » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:01 pm

Had no idea the G36 was so ubiquitous. I loved it in COD. The HK416 ain't half bad either.
"forcibly responsible capitalism" or not this ought to be interesting. Might lead to a reduction in hypocrisy in arms sales by one country. We will probably just keep giving everyone M4s.
SPACEMAN SPLIFF: MASTURBANDO AD NSG ANNO DOMINI 2171
E stēllīs lībertās
I shit you not, this is the weirdest nation I've made in my history on NS. It's a puppet based on a joke. Shoo.

This poster has two political positions. One is of a speciesist, isolationist, corporatist, liberal spacer from the 26th century.
The other is of an alien studying human behavior.
The East Marches wrote:
The United Colonies of Earth wrote:the weak will be torn to pieces and feasted on by the strong, like morsels of steak

I am TEM and I approve of this message.
Copy and paste this if you are bourgeois

Krah Versilia
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Krah Versilia » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:01 pm

Wait, a Western country using their mind and not giving weapons to Wahhabists?

What is this heresy?
PMT post-apocalyptic nation made up of Metro stations and set in a world where a new ice age has taken place.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:07 pm

It does also mean that there may well be a weakening of groups previously using these weapons as they are forced to adapt to new weaponry, potentially higher costs or lower reliability, and will lack as much potential for supply compatibility with each-other if they go to different buyers, though this may take some months or years to kick in if they still have reserves.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:08 pm

Spaceman Spliff wrote:Had no idea the G36 was so ubiquitous. I loved it in COD. The HK416 ain't half bad either.
"forcibly responsible capitalism" or not this ought to be interesting. Might lead to a reduction in hypocrisy in arms sales by one country. We will probably just keep giving everyone M4s.

It also means that, in corporatist terms, at least one major arms manufacturer now has a vested interest in lobbying against arms sales to the middle east.
Ostro.MOV

Spaceman Spliff
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Spaceman Spliff » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:09 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Spaceman Spliff wrote:Had no idea the G36 was so ubiquitous. I loved it in COD. The HK416 ain't half bad either.

It also means that, in corporatist terms, at least one major arms manufacturer now has a vested interest in lobbying against arms sales to the middle east.

Could it lead to a general embargo? I've thought Remington and ArmaLite and the rest in America were too invested in the opposite. But at least there's a voice out there doing it!
E stēllīs lībertās
I shit you not, this is the weirdest nation I've made in my history on NS. It's a puppet based on a joke. Shoo.

This poster has two political positions. One is of a speciesist, isolationist, corporatist, liberal spacer from the 26th century.
The East Marches wrote:
The United Colonies of Earth wrote:the weak will be torn to pieces and feasted on by the strong, like morsels of steak

San Marlindo
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby San Marlindo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:09 pm

It's a nice gesture, but it's too late.

H&K rifles, SMGs, and pistols are already made under license in Spain, Iran, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, France, Thailand, Pakistan, Greece, Luxembourg, Mexico, Burma, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, and the UK.

All of the above produce multiple weapons under multiple licenses. And more than a few of them aren't nearly as picky about who they supply.

H&K's trend of handing out licenses like candy mean that it can continue to do so and thus circumvent any pledge it makes to not sell weapons directly to non-NATO member states.
"Cold, analytical, materialistic thinking tends to throttle the urge to imagination." - Michael Chekhov

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:10 pm

I think I'm going to have to think about the full ramifications worldwide for a while before I pick an extreme position to take and defend it to the death no matter what.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Why would the German government do this? It seems very harmful to their military-industrial base. They are effectively giving American and British firms the field for this.
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.

Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:11 pm

Galloism wrote:I think I'm going to have to think about the full ramifications worldwide for a while before I pick an extreme position to take and defend it to the death no matter what.

Thats not very NSG of you. You should commit to a blanket position and stubbornly defend it to the end.
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.

Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

Spaceman Spliff
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Spaceman Spliff » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:12 pm

San Marlindo wrote:It's a nice gesture, but it's too late.

H&K rifles, SMGs, and pistols are already made under license in Spain, Iran, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, France, Thailand, Pakistan, Greece, Luxembourg, Mexico, Burma, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, and the UK.

All of the above produce multiple weapons under multiple licenses. And more than a few of them aren't nearly as picky about who they supply.

H&K's trend of handing out licenses like candy mean that it can continue to do so and thus circumvent any pledge it makes to not sell weapons directly to non-NATO member states.

:rofl: Yeah I forgot about that...mostly. I mean, I know about the IAR. Had no idea they had already licensed to the Saudis, though.
E stēllīs lībertās

The East Marches wrote:

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:12 pm

Meanwhile, the execs at Izhmash/Kalashnikov are currently rubbing their hands greedily...
Last edited by Arcturus Novus on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:13 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:It does also mean that there may well be a weakening of groups previously using these weapons as they are forced to adapt to new weaponry, potentially higher costs or lower reliability, and will lack as much potential for supply compatibility with each-other if they go to different buyers, though this may take some months or years to kick in if they still have reserves.

This means the Serbians and Russians will likely fill the void.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

San Marlindo
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby San Marlindo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:13 pm

The East Marches wrote:Why would the German government do this? It seems very harmful to their military-industrial base. They are effectively giving American and British firms the field for this.

They already sold the licensing rights of their weapons to other countries that produce cheaper copies of the same product and aren't as picky about who they sell them to. So it doesn't matter that much any more, and they aren't losing a ton of business.
"Cold, analytical, materialistic thinking tends to throttle the urge to imagination." - Michael Chekhov

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:15 pm

San Marlindo wrote:
The East Marches wrote:Why would the German government do this? It seems very harmful to their military-industrial base. They are effectively giving American and British firms the field for this.

They already sold the licensing rights of their weapons to other countries that produce cheaper copies of the same product and aren't as picky about who they sell them to. So it doesn't matter that much any more, and they aren't losing a ton of business.

Surely they still have other newer models they are rolling out for sale to the elite of foreign countries' armies? I don't believe they licensed the 416 among other things.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:15 pm

Not fully thinking things through seems to be a hallmark of the German government. Nuclear accident after an earthquake? Better shut down all Nuclear power plants
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:15 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

Not fully thinking things through seems to be a hallmark of the German government. Nuclear accident after an earthquake? Better shut down all Nuclear power plants

You're right, I am sorry, I forgot about that fact.

San Marlindo
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby San Marlindo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:16 pm

Spaceman Spliff wrote:
San Marlindo wrote:It's a nice gesture, but it's too late.

:rofl: Yeah I forgot about that...mostly. I mean, I know about the IAR. Had no idea they had already licensed to the Saudis, though.

Yeah, the Saudis have been manufacturing the G36 since 2009. They also bought licensing rights to the G3 a long time ago, probably in the mid '80s.

Spaceman Spliff
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Spaceman Spliff » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:17 pm

The East Marches wrote:
San Marlindo wrote:

Surely they still have other newer models they are rolling out for sale to the elite of foreign countries' armies? I don't believe they licensed the 416 among other things.

The M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle (IAR) is a lightweight, magazine-fed 5.56mm weapon used by the United States Marine Corps. It is intended to enhance an automatic rifleman's maneuverability, and it is based on the Heckler & Koch HK416.

Now if they had 100-round mags like in COD.
E stēllīs lībertās

The East Marches wrote:

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:17 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

Do you want them selling to oppressive dictatorships? People throw a fit whenever those deals get made.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Not fully thinking things through seems to be a hallmark of the German government. Nuclear accident after an earthquake? Better shut down all Nuclear power plants

Do you want them selling to oppressive dictatorships? People throw a fit whenever those deals get made.

We do and nobody blinks an eye. I don't see the big deal about Germany doing it too.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:19 pm

The East Marches wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Do you want them selling to oppressive dictatorships? People throw a fit whenever those deals get made.

We do and nobody blinks an eye. I don't see the big deal about Germany doing it too.

I mean, maybe I'm a terrible person, but I can't help but think "somebody will."
Last edited by Galloism on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

San Marlindo
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby San Marlindo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:19 pm

The East Marches wrote:
San Marlindo wrote:

Actually they have.

The 416 is made under license by Walther Arms, which is an American company. I think they're responsible for supplying most of the 416s used in the US armed forces.

Spaceman Spliff
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Spaceman Spliff » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:19 pm

San Marlindo wrote:
Spaceman Spliff wrote::rofl: Yeah I forgot about that...mostly. I mean, I know about the IAR. Had no idea they had already licensed to the Saudis, though.

Yeah, the Saudis have been manufacturing the G36 since 2009. They also bought licensing rights to the G3 a long time ago, probably in the mid '80s.

Dang, they've had the G36 for a while. I think I remember hearing about the G3 going international too. It being licensed in the 80s wouldn't surprise me...
E stēllīs lībertās

The East Marches wrote:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General