NATION

PASSWORD

Monarchy

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support monarchy?

Absolute Monarchy
10%
Constitutional Monarchy
38%
Traditional figurehead
8%
No Monarch
44%

Total votes : 263

Ganonsyoni
Diplomat

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganonsyoni » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:21 pm

People who support monarchies are those who see themselves as likely being part of the ruling class and not the peasants breaking their bones and starving half the time to have their grain stolen away from the real "welfare kings and queens".
New and Improved version of "The Carlisle"
MtF transperson, goes by she/her/hers
Call me Carly

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” - Orwell

"I'm a god damn Sage"

Hectania
Secretary

Founded: Oct 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Hectania » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:21 pm

Dushan wrote:
Freefall11111 wrote:Whether the Vatican is a country at all is open to debate.

The Vatican is a sovereign and internationally recognized State.

It is also, an Absolute Monarchy.

The Vatican is also a non-hereditary monarchy, but not a democratic one, either. The Vatican is weird.

Imperial Union of America
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Union of America » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:23 pm

Apparently, if the United States made a Monarch of King George Washington, then this guy would be our King. that guy sitting in the chair. the dude standing would be heir apparent as far as i know.

Paul Emery Washington, 82.
Last edited by Imperial Union of America on Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Fascist and i believe the constitution should be suspended. All enemies of the state should be rounded up and permanently deported.

"But perhaps I am partial to the complexion of my Country, for such kind of partiality is natural to Mankind." - Benjamin Franklin

Runeria
Envoy

Founded: May 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Runeria » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:24 pm

The Lotus Land wrote:
Imperial Union of America wrote:I think a Monarchy is good because [...]. Perhaps it would help fight corruption as well.

Ever heard of Spain?
Runeria wrote:But maybe countries like Spain and the Netherlands should be hesitant to eliminate their monarchies.

The Spanish monarchy was restored by a fascist dictator, and now it's just a corrupt family getting millions of our tax money for doing nothing, and still some of them are being judged for corruption. It is heavily undemocratic and isn't even good to unite the nation since Catalans and Basques hate it. So, I'll have to disagree with that and proudly say: ¡Viva la República!

A. Franco and the Nationalists did a lot of bad things. Restoring the Monarchy was not one of them.
B. They wouldn't be so corrupt and useless if you gave them an actual job to do! They're just bored, amigo! If you had a crown and no scepter you'd be on safari right now too. That, and more importantly, generations of misguided reformers eroding the sanctity of the institution are to blame for the Spanish Monarchy being such a shambles.
C. As for the Catalans and Basques, let Navarre and Aragon be their own Kingdoms.
[align=right]

Dushan
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dushan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:31 pm

Ganonsyoni wrote:People who support monarchies are those who see themselves as likely being part of the ruling class and not the peasants breaking their bones and starving half the time to have their grain stolen away from the real "welfare kings and queens".

viewtopic.php?p=29099999#p29099999

Hectania wrote:
Dushan wrote:
The Vatican is a sovereign and internationally recognized State.

It is also, an Absolute Monarchy.

The Vatican is also a non-hereditary monarchy, but not a democratic one, either. The Vatican is weird.

The Electorate is limited to high ranking Members of their Order. Historically not as uncommon as it may seem.

Imperial Union of America wrote:(Image)

Apparently, if the United States made a Monarch of King George Washington, then this guy would be our King. that guy sitting in the chair. the dude standing would be heir apparent as far as i know.

Paul Emery Washington, 82.

Interesting.

Some more sources on this:
http://europe.newsweek.com/americas-los ... 2243?rm=eu
http://www.porterloring.com/memsol.cgi?user_id=1317849 (RIP)
Martial Nation on a far distant world with SciFi and Fantasy elements.

Factbook
This Nation does not use NS stats. When RPing with nation of different TL, we adapt to it.

Gages Icelandic Army
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gages Icelandic Army » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 pm

Runeria wrote:
Gages Icelandic Army wrote:I'm not cool enough to NS on my phone. I end up ruining my nation by clicking the wrong thing. :lol:

Here are some different situations:

Despotic hereditary leader with little role in social life:
Oman, Saudi Arabia

benefits: political, economic, and social stability so long as the state takes care of the people's needs and doesn't treat them too cruelly.
weaknesses: they usually don't take care of the people's needs and treat their subject cruelly.

Despotic hereditary leader with a large role in social life:
Imperial Russia, Imperial Japan, Imperial Austria (these are mostly extinct)

benefits: same as above, plus they can give a degree of sanctity to governance and law that helps with corruption, political violence, etc. (obviously this has the same caveat as the above situation)
weaknesses: same as above, although they do tend to abuse their subjects less than contemporary state in the above category. Think noblesse oblige The USSR under Lenin and Stalin was demonstrably more cruel than the Romanovs had been

Figurehead with no social role
The British and other Western European Monarchies have been headed this way for a while

benefits: could maybe bring in $$$ like the British monarchy does I guess?
weaknesses: does literally nothing except get into tabloid scandals, actually serves to harm the level of political discourse and social trust because it's supposed to be a dignified institution and it isn't

Figurehead with a strong social role
this is what the British, Danish, Dutch, etc. monarchies are in theory

benefits: Enriches the social and cultural life of the nation, provides a small degree of additional political and social stability.
weaknesses: Just weak, weak, weak. Hardly worth the expense (although again, to be fair, potentially profitable).

Best of all Possible Worlds
Glorious Liechtenstein

benefits: Is able to play an active role in governance and law while still being itself subject to the law. Can draw upon public support to overrule and override deadlocked elected officials and, but is still limited in it's authority and thus ability to abuse the rights of ordinary people. Is neither impotent nor all-powerful. Additionally, provides the full culturally enriching and socially stabilizing benefits of the other categories.
weakness: virtue-signalling anti-monarchist ideologues who have drunk of the jacobin kool aid will always cry about it being medieval and barbaric because their priorities are out of wack
weanesses:

You have some very valid points here. I have a few problems though:
Despotic hereditary leader with little role in social life: Horrible conditions for subjects.
Despotic hereditary leader with a large role in social life: are going extinct because of how easy they are to replace. Money spent on the subjects could easily be spent on people that hold a lot of power, such as military generals and leaders of the countries banks. So these generals, leaders, etc replace the king with someone less charitable.
Figurehead with no social role: Even you displayed him/her as a waste.
Figurehead with a strong social role: Just weak weak weak.

I feel like Glorious Liechtenstein isn't strong enough to not degrade into any of the above categories. It has to be just perfect, it has to be right in the middle of either the figurehead power scale, the leader power scale, or in the middle between figurehead and leader to work right, which I think is stretching it.

Not to mention I don't think you made one for democracy... which was the original request.
And can you tell me how Glorious Liechtenstein is better or different than a president? It looks like if things start looking bad, than the same thing making Despotic hereditary leader with a large role in social life extinct could happen. This looks really good though.
Last edited by Gages Icelandic Army on Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Gages Icelandic Army
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gages Icelandic Army » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:45 pm

I edited that post a few times since posting it. So if a part doesn't make sense, try refreshing and reading that part again.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:45 pm

I don't want society regressing it's stages of development. So no to ceremonial Monarchs, and a serious no to Monarchs with actual power.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:48 pm

Power should not derive from heredity. It should derive from the consent of the governed. That was established in the 17th (18th?) century. Ideally, there should be nobody governing anyone, but if we have to have a leader, I'd rather they be elected.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Dushan
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dushan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:55 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:Power should not derive from heredity. It should derive from the consent of the governed. That was established in the 17th (18th?) century. Ideally, there should be nobody governing anyone, but if we have to have a leader, I'd rather they be elected.

I can get behind that statement. How about elective Monarchy?
Martial Nation on a far distant world with SciFi and Fantasy elements.

Factbook
This Nation does not use NS stats. When RPing with nation of different TL, we adapt to it.

The Princes of the Universe
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Princes of the Universe » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:59 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:Power should not derive from heredity. It should derive from the consent of the governed. That was established in the 17th (18th?) century. Ideally, there should be nobody governing anyone, but if we have to have a leader, I'd rather they be elected.

"The people" are too stupid to be trusted with that. Look at the impending mess in the US (no matter who wins, everyone loses) and the sociopath in the Philippines.
Pro dolorosa Eius passione, miserere nobis et totius mundi.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.
Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:00 pm

The Princes of the Universe wrote:

"The people" are too stupid to be trusted with that. Look at the impending mess in the US (no matter who wins, everyone loses) and the sociopath in the Philippines.

The lies in class society, not humans themselves.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Runeria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Runeria » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:08 pm

Gages Icelandic Army wrote:I feel like Glorious Liechtenstein isn't strong enough to not degrade into any of the above categories. It has to be just perfect, it has to be right in the middle of either the figurehead power scale, the leader power scale, or in the middle between figurehead and leader to work right, which I think is stretching it.

Not to mention I don't think you made one for democracy... which was the original request.
And can you tell me how Glorious Liechtenstein is better or different than a president? It looks like if things start looking bad, than the same thing making Despotic hereditary leader with a large role in social life extinct could happen. This looks really good though.

The idea that a monarchy with a strong cultural role and a significant but constitutionally limited role as I described would be difficult to maintain is certainly valid. I won't dispute that it's a delicate balance that must be maintained to make it work. But the practical difficulty of such a system is secondary to my point. As I've stated already, what I'm arguing here is that monarchies have the potential to be of great benefit to a state/society. Certainly there are countries where the difficulty of erecting such a system would be more trouble than it's worth. One thing I'd point out is that societies that already have low levels of corruption, high levels of social trust, and an elevated level of political discourse needn't bother with royals if they don't already have em.

Now the reason I didn't include one for Democracy is, well, primarily that I forgot. But also I don't necessarily see Democracy as constituting a single category. Not all republics are necessarily "democratic, and "democracy" isn't necessarily incompatible with "monarchy". A semi-presidential system for example can potentially operate in pretty much the same way as the ideal monarchy I described. But if you get to the point where you have an indirectly-elected President who intervenes in the normal political system only in times of distress, and who acts as a figure above the mudslinging of usual partisan politics, why abolish a monarchy for that? Why get rid of an institution with deep historical roots and for which an air of sanctity comes easily?
[align=right]

Runeria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Runeria » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:11 pm

Pandeeria wrote:I don't want society regressing it's stages of development. So no to ceremonial Monarchs, and a serious no to Monarchs with actual power.

The idea that the histories of nations follow a natural and inevitable path of development from one system to another is the single most idiotic, contrived principle of Marxism.

there is no inherent incompatability between Hereditary Monarchy and the principles of good government and the social contract
[align=right]

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:16 pm

The Princes of the Universe wrote:

I thought Americans should know this considering one of their founding fathers was very scared of democracy and the implications of a people's tyranny.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

The Lotus Land
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lotus Land » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:24 pm

Runeria wrote:A. Franco and the Nationalists did a lot of bad things. Restoring the Monarchy was not one of them.
B. They wouldn't be so corrupt and useless if you gave them an actual job to do! They're just bored, amigo! If you had a crown and no scepter you'd be on safari right now too. That, and more importantly, generations of misguided reformers eroding the sanctity of the institution are to blame for the Spanish Monarchy being such a shambles.
C. As for the Catalans and Basques, let Navarre and Aragon be their own Kingdoms.

Why give a public job to someone just for being born in certain family? Better abolish all nobility titles and requisition all their properties, lands and money. Then they would have an incentive to work and earn a living, like everyone else.

And I can assure you, the Basque Country and Catalonia are the most republican areas in Spain, and while they are proud of their past, they don't look to restorate their monarchies. A Republic, being the union of all its citizens, is a symbol of national unity much more in accordance with our times, like the French one.
Official Factbook
Factbook index

☯蓮花土地☯

Economic Left/Right: -9.13 - Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.26

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Runeria wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:I don't want society regressing it's stages of development. So no to ceremonial Monarchs, and a serious no to Monarchs with actual power.

The idea that the histories of nations follow a natural and inevitable path of development from one system to another is the single most idiotic, contrived principle of Marxism.

How so? Historically the model has been extremely accurate.

Runeria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Runeria » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:31 pm

The Lotus Land wrote:
Runeria wrote:A. Franco and the Nationalists did a lot of bad things. Restoring the Monarchy was not one of them.

Why give a public job to someone just for being born in certain family? Better abolish all nobility titles and requisition all their properties, lands and money. Then they would have an incentive to work and earn a living, like everyone else.

And I can assure you, the Basque Country and Catalonia are the most republican areas in Spain, and while they are proud of their past, they don't look to restorate their monarchies. A Republic, being the union of all its citizens, is a symbol of national unity much more in accordance with our times, like the French one.

You can abolish their legal role if you insist (I wouldn't advise it and have already explained at length why) but taking away all their land and money is outright theft. If you seriously advocate that then I can't really take what you say about justice seriously.

And I'm aware that the majority of Basques and Catalans have bad opinions, yes. In fact, the vast majority of people have bad opinions. That's why Western Civilization is in collapse.
[align=right]

Runeria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Runeria » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Runeria wrote:

It has been exactly the opposite of accurate. The history of class warfare Marx described was so oversimplified as to render it essentially meaningless, and was based on popular imagination of what life was like in pre-modern Europe rather than evidence based historical truth (although to be fair writing in the mid-19th century he could hardly be blamed for his ignorance on that front). Furthermore, his predictions for how history would continue didn't come true at all. There was no international proletarian revolution, and the left wing revolutions that did occur were led by bloodthirsty fanatics who did very little in the interest of the people they claimed to represent. Those revolutions didn't even take place in the industrial heartlands as Marx expected, but rather in agrarian Russia and China. Marxist history is utter garbage.
[align=right]

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:37 pm

We already have a monarchist thread, but I guess this is kind of its own thing.

Pandeeria wrote:
Runeria wrote:

See: Rome

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Nationalist Gold Union
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nationalist Gold Union » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:42 pm

If you like absolute monarchies so much, you should move to one of these countries. I hear they're nice this time of the year.
Last edited by Nationalist Gold Union on Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: Democracy, liberalism, equality, justice
Anti: Tyranny, demagoguery, bigotry

Nickel Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Corporate Bordello

Postby Nickel Empire » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:42 pm

It's amazing.
Purple Tory with some Right-Wing Populism
"Every nation has the government it deserves." Joseph de Maistre
"First feelings are always the most natural." King Louis XIV of France
Trademark: Agent Orange Is a Protest Violent? Code: Reaganomics
"Don't tickle the Nickel." https://imgur.com/5KfGQGt

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:43 pm

Also, as a monarchist I do NOT support an American monarchy, America has never had any noble families or any tradition related to monarchism or aristocracy.

I DO support the U.K.'s monarchy, to an extent, I believe the Queen and later monarchs should have more power. Same goes with most current European monarchies.

I support bringing back the monarchy in my Ojczyzna, Poland, as well as bringing back the monarchy in all European republics, especially ones that have historically been known as monarchies.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

PaNTuXIa
Senator

Founded: Feb 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby PaNTuXIa » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:44 pm

I'm somewhat neutral on this issue.

I wouldn't mind an constitutional monarchy, but an absolute monarchy seems a bit extreme.
I support Open Borders for Israel.
United Marxist Nations wrote:Anime has ruined my life.

The Empire of Pretantia wrote:
PaNTuXIa wrote:>swedish
>conservatism

Islamic nations tend to be right wing.

The Lotus Land
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lotus Land » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Runeria wrote:You can abolish their legal role if you insist (I wouldn't advise it and have already explained at length why) but taking away all their land and money is outright theft. If you seriously advocate that then I can't really take what you say about justice seriously.

And I'm aware that the majority of Basques and Catalans have bad opinions, yes. In fact, the vast majority of people have bad opinions. That's why Western Civilization is in collapse.

Their lands and properties are paid and maintained with the people's taxes. Instead of generating profit for someone who doesn't do anything, they should be returned to its righful owners, the taxpayers. I don't see any theft here, if it isn't what the nobles do.
Runeria wrote:Those revolutions didn't even take place in the industrial heartlands as Marx expected, but rather in agrarian Russia and China. Marxist history is utter garbage.

I suggest you to read the preface to the 1882 Russian edition of the manifesto ;)
Official Factbook
Factbook index

☯蓮花土地☯

Economic Left/Right: -9.13 - Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.26

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General