NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread VIII: Augustine's Revenge.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
36%
Eastern Orthodox
9%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
5%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
12%
Methodist
4%
Baptist
9%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc.)
7%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
3%
Other Christian
14%

Total votes : 745

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:09 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Some children die from extreme child abuse. They die painfully and in tears.

The difference is that child dies (and I say dies in religious context)in an abortion quickly and painlessly verses slowly and in pain.

Those issues could be fixed if food stamps included diapers and increased funds for those who have children and are on welfare.

Also, one other issue I have is that it forces other religions who say that abortion is not heresy to not do something.

For example, Hinduism has no acts of Apostasy. Under their religion abortion is fine. Should we force Hindus to not do something that Christianity forbids?

What other religions and belief systems think about it is irrelevant. Abortion is wrong, simply put. It's a denial of a human being a chance at life, and it doesn't matter if it's a Catholic baby or a Hindu baby, or whatever. It's not like drinking or circumcision or baptism or any other kind of religious standpoint, it's about whether an unborn human being is valuable. Which is a fundamental concept which needs to be decided for everyone, a human life is either valuable or it isn't, and can just be thrown away given specific circumstances.

If a religion thought murder wasn't wrong, would we allow them to murder freely as long as they're that religion? No, we wouldn't.

And again, you can't guarantee every child that would be aborted, or even live in abusive homes, would automatically die horribly or not have the chance of a better life. You don't know what their future would be. And abortion isn't going to stop child abuse.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:19 pm

Luminesa wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Partial-birth abortions sound bad, but they are not the only abortions out there.

Single parents do indeed have less income. This is because of taxes that would normally be lower on couples are not single parents.
Tackling poverty would be an extreme task that would be insanely hard to do. It would most likely require a massive minimum wage increase and the government building a massive public works project (EG: A road).

Lastly, Hinduism is the world's third largest religion, and Atheism and Agnosticism are also rising worldwide. All three have no heresys to commit and therefore would be fine for woman of these religions/Irreligion and for men/women to be abortion doctors.

I agree that economic solutions would be best for all involved, however for those religions/Irreligion should not be forced to follow our rules.

They are bad. Especially if you've ever seen one. Would not recommend it, but if you look on Google there are pictures. Lots and lots of pictures.

Not necessarily extreme. It's the most important task that needs to be handled domestically, besides education. Which also needs more funding. It's the most important thing we need to be handling as a country right now, far more important than immigration and gun control and those sorts of things.

Once again, if the solution is based on economic improvement and removing poverty, so people aren't as scared of having children, then nobody will be worried about religious differences.

I will take your word for it, I do not really wish to see it.

I thought the most important task that needs to be handled domestically was building a yuuuge wall. :P

But yes the education system does need a lot of work and removing poverty needs to be number one.

If it is and if removing poverty is successful, then I would agree that abortions should be limited to only those who need it or they will die, or in remaining poverty cases that can not for any reason use an orphanage.

Of course thats all extremely idealist and a best case scenario.

Because there is no money to be made in removing poverty the corporations will remain apathetic.

Reastlicy, abortion right now is the best option for those parents who are poor and refuse to send there child to an orphanage and considering who is in the white house right now, poverty will most likely increase. We really should have felt the Bern.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:28 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Some children die from extreme child abuse. They die painfully and in tears.

The difference is that child dies (and I say dies in religious context)in an abortion quickly and painlessly verses slowly and in pain.

Those issues could be fixed if food stamps included diapers and increased funds for those who have children and are on welfare.

Also, one other issue I have is that it forces other religions who say that abortion is not heresy to not do something.

For example, Hinduism has no acts of Apostasy. Under their religion abortion is fine. Should we force Hindus to not do something that Christianity forbids?

What other religions and belief systems think about it is irrelevant. Abortion is wrong, simply put. It's a denial of a human being a chance at life, and it doesn't matter if it's a Catholic baby or a Hindu baby, or whatever. It's not like drinking or circumcision or baptism or any other kind of religious standpoint, it's about whether an unborn human being is valuable. Which is a fundamental concept which needs to be decided for everyone, a human life is either valuable or it isn't, and can just be thrown away given specific circumstances.

If a religion thought murder wasn't wrong, would we allow them to murder freely as long as they're that religion? No, we wouldn't.

And again, you can't guarantee every child that would be aborted, or even live in abusive homes, would automatically die horribly or not have the chance of a better life. You don't know what their future would be. And abortion isn't going to stop child abuse.

Hinduism has over 1.08 billion adherents worldwide. It is relevant because in an american context, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

1-5% of the american population follows Hinduism. Why should we tell 1-5% of the american population they can't do something that there region allows?

On the same coin you can't guarantee every child that would be aborted would not live in abusive homes or die horribly.
I would argue it takes away the "Child was a mistake" argument.

Anyway, this should really be in the abortion megathread so I'm going to stop now.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:26 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

Hinduism has over 1.08 billion adherents worldwide. It is relevant because in an american context, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

1-5% of the american population follows Hinduism. Why should we tell 1-5% of the american population they can't do something that there region allows?

On the same coin you can't guarantee every child that would be aborted would not live in abusive homes or die horribly.

Anyway, this should really be in the abortion megathread so I'm going to stop now.

Do we allow honor killings because they are allowed in some religions?
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:51 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:

Do we allow honor killings because they are allowed in some religions?

No, but you have to recognise that other religions/irreligions define death differently than us and the country's defines death differently.

Under there definitions, abortion is not murder.

Separation of church and state means that using an religion definition as the country's definition would violate the first amendment.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:06 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:Do we allow honor killings because they are allowed in some religions?

No, but you have to recognise that other religions/irreligions define death differently than us and the country's defines death differently.

Separation of church and state means that using an religion definition as the country's definition would violate the first amendment.

Then it comes down to which we serve first: the Church or the state.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:17 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:

Then it comes down to which we serve first: the Church or the state.

And that, is a matter of what the people should decide.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:10 pm

So, I saw Luminesa get called Sister Luminesa in this thread.

Do I get to be called Brother Herp now?

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:17 pm

News for now:

My home state of Ohio passed a bill to outlaw abortion, at least up to the point of a heartbeat.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

I support Capitalism do you? If so, put this in your sig.

XY = Male, XX = Female

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:19 pm

Germanic Templars wrote:News for now:

My home state of Ohio passed a bill to outlaw abortion, at least up to the point of a heartbeat.

Why a heartbeat ? We have been basing judgement if someone has died on brainactivity for quite a while now...
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:29 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:News for now:

Why a heartbeat ? We have been basing judgement if someone has died on brainactivity for quite a while now...

Baby's heartbeat starts at 21 days...a couple of weeks before the baby has brainwaves.

I mean why not? If your heart's beating you're alive...
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:45 pm

Luminesa wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Baby's heartbeat starts at 21 days...a couple of weeks before the baby has brainwaves.

I mean why not? If your heart's beating you're alive...

What giggles me the most about the whole issue is how some people are getting upset over the issue.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

I support Capitalism do you? If so, put this in your sig.

XY = Male, XX = Female

Venerable Bede
Minister

Founded: Nov 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:47 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:So, I saw Luminesa get called Sister Luminesa in this thread.

It's a monastic title, she's called that because she's planning on becoming a monastic.
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim
Nihilism: The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age
The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth. (Ecclesiastes 7:4)
A sacrifice to God is a brokenspirit; a broken and humbled heart God will not despise. (Psalm 50:19--Orthodox, Protestant 51:19)
For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. (2 Corinthians 7:10)
And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me. And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you? (Luke 12:13-14)

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:51 pm

Venerable Bede wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:So, I saw Luminesa get called Sister Luminesa in this thread.

It's a monastic title, she's called that because she's planning on becoming a monastic.

Oh.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:04 am

Salus Maior wrote:

Considering that abortion is not a necessary function of any religion your point about separation of Church/State and Hinduism is irrelevant.

And the "child is a mistake" argument only has merit because you're giving it merit, you're buying into the idea that people define what people are worth. It doesn't actually have merit on its own, because as I said before, people don't define what people are worth, God does. No one is a mistake regardless of what people think.

And the difference between your argument and mine is that I'm not arguing for something that will permanently deny life to a human being based off of arrogant assumptions as to how their life will turn out. And as some of us have said before, the issues around child abuse are not going to be solved with abortion, the core of the issue is in economics and issues surrounding poor living. Which can be solved.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:09 am

Diopolis wrote:You should note that pro-life charities are fairly active in helping poor families provide for young children. They often don't advocate a governmental solution, but they spend quite a bit of time and money acting directly.

And that's good and all, but we won't be able to make real change without getting the government behind it as well.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:34 am

Salus Maior wrote:

Ahem, In this case such an action is prohibited because two person's rights are involved. We'll use a clearer example: religiously sanctioned honor killings. Even though some religions sanction honor killings, under American Law they are prohibited because they affect 2 people: the perpetrator and the victim. Though the perpetrator technically has the right to free practice, the victim has the right to equal protection under the law, including not to be murdered, which trumps the right of free practice of the perpetrator. As the saying goes "your right to swing a bat stops just before my face."

In the case of abortion however, the law is much more murky as there are about a dozen confounding factors on whether the preborn actually have legal protection under the law
Last edited by Tarsonis Survivors on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:05 am

Salus Maior wrote:

Considering that abortion is not a necessary function of any religion your point about separation of Church/State and Hinduism is irrelevant.

And the "child is a mistake" argument only has merit because you're giving it merit, you're buying into the idea that people define what people are worth. It doesn't actually have merit on its own, because as I said before, people don't define what people are worth, God does. No one is a mistake regardless of what people think.

And the difference between your argument and mine is that I'm not arguing for something that will permanently deny life to a human being based off of arrogant assumptions as to how their life will turn out. And as some of us have said before, the issues around child abuse are not going to be solved with abortion, the core of the issue is in economics and issues surrounding poor living. Which can be solved.

No it is not and I'm telling you why in one word: Freedom.

Once you force your rule of law to other religions that do not have that rule, you have taken away someone else's freedom. And that is something, on concept alone, that I can not endorse.

Exactly the opposite, "child is a mistake" argument needs to be kept invalid and legal abortions are the only way to make that happen.

And when exactly will that happen? I don't see it happening in the next four years, thats for certain.
It hasn't happened despite many pro life people holding office.

I'm being realistic here. Poverty is a problem and needs to die, yes. But, It hasn't died. There will most likely always be poverty, there has not been a time in recorded history where 0% poverty was a thing, anywhere.

Like war. Everyone agrees war sucks. Soldiers, civilians, governments. Everyone agrees that war is a stupid thing.

Yet, we keep on doing it.

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:

Ahem, In this case such an action is prohibited because two person's rights are involved. We'll use a clearer example: religiously sanctioned honor killings. Even though some religions sanction honor killings, under American Law they are prohibited because they affect 2 people: the perpetrator and the victim. Though the perpetrator technically has the right to free practice, the victim has the right to equal protection under the law, including not to be murdered, which trumps the right of free practice of the perpetrator. As the saying goes "your right to swing a bat stops just before my face."

In the case of abortion however, the law is much more murky as there are about a dozen confounding factors on whether the preborn actually have legal protection under the law

"How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette?"- George Carlin

Do unborn chickens deserve protection under the law?
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:43 am

Salus Maior wrote:

Once you force your rule of law to other religions that do not have that rule, you have taken away someone else's freedom. And that is something, on concept alone, that I can not endorse.

Exactly the opposite, "child is a mistake" argument needs to be kept invalid and legal abortions are the only way to make that happen.

And when exactly will that happen? I don't see it happening in the next four years, thats for certain.

I'm being realistic here. Poverty is a problem and needs to die, yes. But, It hasn't died. There will most likely always be poverty, there has not been a time in recorded history where 0% poverty was a thing, anywhere.

Like war. Everyone agrees war sucks. Soldiers, civilians, governments. Everyone agrees that war is a stupid thing.

"How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette?"- George Carlin

Generally a chicken egg is unfertalized, so making an omelette doesn't actually kill anything. Secondly, a human and a chicken are not equal examples, it's perfectly legal and widely considered morally fine to kill a chicken. Same cannot be said for Humans.

Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasong Tirad » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:54 am

Hello there, I'm a Catholic in the Philippines and I did a search in this thread on Liberation Theology and for some reason people are outright opposed to it and I want to wonder why.

Irecker
Attaché

Founded: Dec 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Irecker » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:21 am

Pasong Tirad wrote:Hello there, I'm a Catholic in the Philippines and I did a search in this thread on Liberation Theology and for some reason people are outright opposed to it and I want to wonder why.

It was condemned by Pope Benedict in 2007 (I think?) for a variety of reasons.

Liberation is well meaning, certainly, but heretical nonetheless.
“He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative” -G.K. Chesterton

REEEEEEE GEOGRAPHY IS A REAL FIELD OF STUDY

Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasong Tirad » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:22 am

Irecker wrote:
Pasong Tirad wrote:Hello there, I'm a Catholic in the Philippines and I did a search in this thread on Liberation Theology and for some reason people are outright opposed to it and I want to wonder why.

It was condemned by Pope Benedict in 2007 (I think?) for a variety of reasons.

Heretical? How so?

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:22 am

Generally a chicken egg is unfertalized, so making an omelette doesn't actually kill anything. Secondly, a human and a chicken are not equal examples, it's perfectly legal and widely considered morally fine to kill a chicken. Same cannot be said for Humans.

Both are god's creatures. Do both not deserve god's love?

Second, when a chicken : kills millions,creates a dystopian government, uses white phosphorus munitions and, creates a bomb cable of scorching the earth.
Let me know. Until then, chickens are the more moral species of the two.
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Irecker
Attaché

Founded: Dec 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Irecker » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:24 am

Pasong Tirad wrote:
Irecker wrote:It was condemned by Pope Benedict in 2007 (I think?) for a variety of reasons.

Heretical? How so?

It's too focused on material things, advocates for a class war, it's Marxism-lite wearing a Catholic skin.

Caring for and loving the poor is a very Catholic thing to do, but Liberation theology goes about it the wrong way.
“He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative” -G.K. Chesterton

REEEEEEE GEOGRAPHY IS A REAL FIELD OF STUDY

Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasong Tirad » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:25 am

Irecker wrote:
Pasong Tirad wrote:Heretical? How so?

It's too focused on material things, advocates for a class war, it's Marxism-lite wearing a Catholic skin.

Caring for and loving the poor is a very Catholic thing to do, but Liberation theology goes about it the wrong way.

An interesting position. Sorry for the curiosity, I was just taught Liberation Theology differently.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General