NATION

PASSWORD

Are atheists the most easily indoctrinated people? Why?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Anadarsia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Are atheists the most easily indoctrinated people? Why?

Postby Anadarsia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:34 pm

It is no mystery to anyone that the current values in "Western" society, both via public education or via media or political discourse are very material/physical oriented, to the point that metaphysical concerns have been entirely erased from the collective psyche.

While the ambiant values don't determine the behaviour of every person of course, it's obvious to me that a portion of the population have fully endorsed the received messages and now defend them in a quasi-militant way. I refer to these specific atheists in this thread, not agnostics or deists or non-denominational people who while not being anyhow religious can still grasp the importance of metaphysical questions or at least are open to discuss them.

As the years have gone by, I see that an archetype is consolidating around this ideology that reduces every life concern, whether individual, collective or political, to pure material terms while displaying a stunning degree of gullibility in terms of the principles they spouse. Although atheists on the one hand predicate a full commitment to 'hard' material science as the sole thing to believe in, an overwhelming majority of them have fully endorsed the contemporary world's basic ideological tenets without question, such as human rights, and the resulting humanitarianism that often times lead to interventionism, patronizing and infantilization of other countries and populations (who are said to not be as 'advanced' as the secular West), defence of mainline narratives that are pushed forward by mainstream media regarding democracy, politicians and the interests they supposedly have at heart, an approach to life that is throughly molded over petty concerns such as money, indulging in hedonistic lifestyles and normalizing of one's own shortcomings (again in perfect sync with the ambiant culture).

Why do I ask this? Because one of the most common critiques I've read coming from atheists is that people who are either religious, or even bother approaching metaphysical questions, is that we are blinded by faith, mentally handicapped or just following whatever we are told. Why then, is the average atheist more conformist or accomodating of current dogma?

I don't believe it is necessary to spell it out, but just in case: I am not saying all people who aren't atheists are free of herd behaviour or buying the mainstream narrative and beliefs, nor am I saying that every single person who is purely material oriented is a completely passive accommodating mind. I am merely however here to ask if you've perceived the same 'general rule' I have, and if so to ask why do you think that is?

I posit that it might be related to the fact people who are interested in expanding their minds and spirits to include questions beyond our immediate worldly concerns, may also develop the capacity to see propaganda, slogans and official tales more in depth and with more attention to detail to the more linear approach atheists have? Would you agree with this assessment?

Let me know if you do so, or if you don't agree as well in your comments here. I would like to read what you have to say.

Thank you.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:35 pm

I'd disagree and state that the religious are more easily indoctrinated as there's a large God influencing them into the indoctrination.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:36 pm

Since the only evidence you give is personal experience, I will dismiss your assertion on the grounds of, "not in mine."
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Nusaresa
Minister

Founded: Aug 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:36 pm

Personal experience makes a very poor argument.
The Republic of Nusaresa

A Southeast Asian getaway with long unbroken beaches, many historical sites, and a world class quality of life. Enjoy a pleasant dinner at the many restaurants, snorkeling at the pristine lagoon, or discover the Nusarese heritage through a tour of the country.

Nusaresa welcomes you.
Jochizyd Republic wrote:Death by honorable child soldier is less humiliating than death by Antifa activist.

confirmed yandere bishounen
Climate Change needs to stop being a partisan issue

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:39 pm

Soooo... I'm gonna file this as an epic example of projection.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:39 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:I'd disagree and state that the religious are more easily indoctrinated as there's a large God influencing them into the indoctrination.

what
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?
In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
The only shadow that the Desert knows:—
"I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
"The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
"The wonders of my hand." The City's gone,
Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
The site of this forgotten Babylon.

We wonder, and some Hunter may express
Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
He meets some fragment huge, and stops to guess
What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place.
The Nuclear Fist wrote:Transoxthraxia confirmed for shit taste

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:40 pm

A consistent application of skepticism naturally leads to a position of atheism soooooo no.
In fact the opposite is true.

Godular wrote:Soooo... I'm gonna file this as an epic example of projection.

That's a pretty sound conclusion.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:41 pm

Transoxthraxia wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I'd disagree and state that the religious are more easily indoctrinated as there's a large God influencing them into the indoctrination.

what

There's a bunch of people believing there's a god. Sure enough one of them will take charge and make a religion with clergy to indoctrinate, right?
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:41 pm

My question is where are you meeting and conversing with atheists? Do you know any atheists in real life? I ask because if you're making your observations based off of people you meet on the Internet then you've made a mistake and should rethink your silly general rule.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:44 pm

Last edited by Minzerland II on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous Profile: Minzerland
Donkey Advocate & Herald of Donkeydom
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

Bogdanov Vishniac
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Bogdanov Vishniac » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:44 pm

So your argument that Western atheists are easily indoctrinated is that they have absorbed and defend a Western materialist philosophical worldview... just like almost all Western theists, and almost everyone in the West in general?

How does that work exactly?

Anadarsia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Anadarsia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:46 pm

Eol Sha wrote:My question is where are you meeting and conversing with atheists? Do you know any atheists in real life? I ask because if you're making your observations based off of people you meet on the Internet then you've made a mistake and should rethink your silly general rule.

A few dozen atheists, both online (reading their impressions and thoughts) as well as several personal acquaintances with whom I've been close to varying degrees.
I am prepared to admit my sample might not be fully representative, and at no point will I say I have the truth regarding this topic, but in general I feel atheists are more prepared to accept official versions of history and politics, than the religious or deistic people I've met.

SUNTHREIT
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby SUNTHREIT » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:46 pm

The average person needs mainstream dogma and conformity in ideals. That's how big societies stay together; it's human nature.
Atheists are so gullible to the prevailing ideologies of the day because they seek to conform to the tenets of the society around them as part of human nature. You can't blame them, they're only human.

Although OP is right that these materialistic worldviews make one more susceptible to indoctrination in widely-held modern ideologies and ideas. They'd have nothing else to believe in, after all.
No matter what you do, hold back the end of history however you can.

Anadarsia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Anadarsia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:47 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:Since the only evidence you give is personal experience, I will dismiss your assertion on the grounds of, "not in mine."

That's perfectly valid. Thank you for stopping by.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:47 pm

Most atheists have their own abstractions that dictate their ethics, too. These typically are impersonal, like "the people", "humanity", "freedom", etc.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Sunthreit wrote:The average person needs mainstream dogma and conformity in ideals. That's how big societies stay together; it's human nature.

Human nature is a dead meme...and one without evidence.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:49 pm

I don't mean this in an accusatory way, but surely the vast majority of theists are indoctrinated by definition. Insofar as most theists are not converts. They were brought up to hold certain ideals, and by and large do.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Anadarsia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Anadarsia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Bogdanov Vishniac wrote:So your argument that Western atheists are easily indoctrinated is that they have absorbed and defend a Western materialist philosophical worldview... just like almost all Western theists, and almost everyone in the West in general?

While there are indeed Western religious/non-denominational theists/deists who have also warped their metaphysical understanding to condone the ambiant values of republicanism, capitalism and humanocentrism, I find that it is consistently more common to find some dose of healthier skepticism regarding public narratives among them, than in atheist people.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:51 pm

Anadarsia wrote:
Eol Sha wrote:My question is where are you meeting and conversing with atheists? Do you know any atheists in real life? I ask because if you're making your observations based off of people you meet on the Internet then you've made a mistake and should rethink your silly general rule.

A few dozen atheists, both online (reading their impressions and thoughts) as well as several personal acquaintances with whom I've been close to varying degrees.
I am prepared to admit my sample might not be fully representative, and at no point will I say I have the truth regarding this topic, but in general I feel atheists are more prepared to accept official versions of history and politics, than the religious or deistic people I've met.

What does that mean exactly?
Because it looks we you went into conspiracy theorist territory there.

Ebliania
Minister

Founded: Apr 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ebliania » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:51 pm

Anadarsia wrote:

Official?

Clarify what you mean by that statement.

Mefpan
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mefpan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:52 pm

Anadarsia wrote:Although atheists on the one hand predicate a full commitment to 'hard' material science as the sole thing to believe in, an overwhelming majority of them have fully endorsed the contemporary world's basic ideological tenets without question, such as human rights, and the resulting humanitarianism that often times lead to interventionism, patronizing and infantilization of other countries and populations (who are said to not be as 'advanced' as the secular West), defence of mainline narratives that are pushed forward by mainstream media regarding democracy, politicians and the interests they supposedly have at heart, an approach to life that is throughly molded over petty concerns such as money, indulging in hedonistic lifestyles and normalizing of one's own shortcomings (again in perfect sync with the ambiant culture).

Human rights are not a bad idea.

Some cultures do suck, especially when entire sections of society are thrown out of the proverbial fucking window for being "inferior", "meant to be subservient" or otherwise considered "untouchable". Democracy, if done correctly, is the least horrible form of government (yes, this includes 'absence of government' in the lineup).

And widespread "hedonism" and "decadence" are more likely to be a sign that the system in place is at least working well enough to permit large swathes of society to live rather comfortably.

I'm sorry. Perhaps there's some measure of "indoctrination", but it's clearly working out quite well in terms of providing a comfortable lifestyle where we all can be satisfied to such an extent that we can afford to worry about whether or not the colloquial use of words can hurt someone's feelings.
I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you want to play a game of chess?
NationStates' umpteenth dirty ex-leftist class traitor.
I left the Left when it turned Right. Now I'm going back to the Right because it's all that's Left.
Yeah, Screw Realism!
Loyal Planet of Mankind

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:52 pm

Anadarsia wrote:
Bogdanov Vishniac wrote:So your argument that Western atheists are easily indoctrinated is that they have absorbed and defend a Western materialist philosophical worldview... just like almost all Western theists, and almost everyone in the West in general?

While there are indeed Western religious/non-denominational theists/deists who have also warped their metaphysical understanding to condone the ambiant values of republicanism, capitalism and humanocentrism, I find that it is consistently more common to find some dose of healthier skepticism regarding public narratives among them, than in atheist people.

Yeah you're going to have to back that claim up with something.
And wait are you saying that these
republicanism, capitalism and humanocentrism

are somehow bad?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:53 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:
Sunthreit wrote:The average person needs mainstream dogma and conformity in ideals. That's how big societies stay together; it's human nature.

Human nature is a dead meme...and one without evidence.

I'm glad someone agrees.

Anadarsia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Anadarsia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:53 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:

Most atheists have their own abstractions that dictate their ethics, too. These typically are impersonal, like "the people", "humanity", "freedom", etc.

Exactly my thoughts. Thank you for helping me better express it.

These abstractions are the ambiant values of post-Enlightenment civilization, and over my life I see atheist people spouse them with greater zeal than people who know metaphysical concerns are important to complement the pure material/worldly issues.

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:54 pm

Anadarsia wrote:

I find this...incredibly hard to believe since religious people, or at least the deeply religious, often depend on a small sample of books, poems, myths, legends, etc. to tell them the history of the world, the history of humankind, and the ways in which the world work. It's especially hard to believe since most holy texts, at least for the Abrahamic religions, were written by people decades or even centuries after the described events took place. Meaning that they rely on what is essentially fourth-hand accounts of events described in their texts.

And even with religions outside of Islam, Christianity, and Judaism, the myths and legends are almost all stories told by people who didn't personally experience them. So color me skeptical when you say religious people are less dogmatic than atheists.
Last edited by Eol Sha on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General