NATION

PASSWORD

Military uniforms and helmets discussion thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Val Halla
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Val Halla » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:05 pm

There is no greater uniform than that of the carabinier.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
WOMAN

She/her

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:08 pm

Zostra wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Well in most places in Europe the swastika is banned, with no exception for historical uses. Even WWII videogames get censored.

That's not really true. They are openly displayed in German museums and can be used in historical films for example. To my knowledge games just fall under a weird category in German law and are considered "entertainment" not "art" and so are censored.

Well true, they have an "educational" and "art" exception but that is very narrow. I doubt it applies to historical reinactments but I do not know for sure.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Arlenton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:09 pm

Val Halla wrote:There is no greater uniform than that of the carabinier.

Do you mean French Carabiniers?

Prosorusiya
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Prosorusiya » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:11 pm

I really like the new US Army all blue dress uniforms, I just wish we saw more of them. The US needs more military parades, it would help restore confidence in the Federal Government. They'd be ideal wear for when the National Guard has march in to clean up after whatever mess the civilian police forces (a concept I once firmly believed in but now have absolutely no confidence in) have made.

That bit of politicking aside, I'd like to see some 19th can. Russian uniforms as well. I'm a big fan of Kepis, Shakos, Frock Coats, and Zouaves, so you could say my military fashion tastes are more French than anything. I am quite fond of the Mongol Uniforms as well, and British cavalry is pretty as well. I guess on the Germanic\Slavic side I'm quite fond of Uhlan uniforms and Russian peaked caps.

I've also thought the French Adrian helmet looked the nicest, followed by the East German\Soviet\Inter-Czechoslovak rimless helmets.
AH Ossetia (1921-1989)

10th Anniversary: NS User Since 2012

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Val Halla wrote:There is no greater uniform than that of the carabinier.

I wanted to argue, but...
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:19 pm

Always loved 19th century Russian uniforms.

I'd post a picture, but this damned phones not letting me.
For anyone wondering, I joined this website during my edgy teenage years. I made a lot of dumb, awkward posts, flip-flopped between various extreme ideologies, and just generally embarrassed myself. I denounce a sizable amount of my past posts. I am no longer active on NationStates and this nation/account is no longer used.

Melon feud
Envoy

Founded: Aug 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Melon feud » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:29 pm

Arlenton wrote:
Melon feud wrote:Well,I've got a w.w.II German helmet I swapped a 10 y.o. kid up in northern Norway ($5 bucks U.S. and a life jacket strobe light marker) from what I understood they would go up in the hills and and find them in the spring, he had one that looked like a w.w.I helmet cuz it still had those two knobs on the outside where you could attach that front plate armor thingy,but it was pretty rusted up/ pitted,I made it clear to him I wanted no rust/ Pitts,,,and it had to have a liner,,,he came back with what was prolly his grandpa's army issue #42 pattern (the kid really wanted that strobe light)

Then I've got an original set of waffen SS collar tabs,,,I used to drink beers with this old W.W.II VET who shot the guy wearing them in the back with his M-1 garand,,,cuz he was hauling his prison camp guarding German ass away,Don, said he walked up and cut them off his uniform (this was late in the war and most of the smart Germans had already fled the scene, this guy prolly had just been promoted to like "2nd Lt. equivalent" 3 diagonal bronze cluster thingys and you can see the silver pipping hand sewed with white thread/rush job)

That's awesome, for just $5 and a strobe light? German helmets today aren't cheap. I have what seems to be a Spanish Model Z, a Spanish copy of the German M35, that's painted in Arika Korps colors and insignia. So I don't have an actual German helmet, but I bought an SS Oak Leaf camo cover for it and it fits the Model Z just fine.

I assume the collar tabs look like this?
SS-Untersturmführer (SS 2nd Lieutenant)

Wow,cool!
No, those 'cluster-jobs' are brass or maybe Even copper IDK?,,I've secured them in individual little zip lock street dope plastic bags,along with a couple .oz of gold/some silver,, that helmet has a pretty oxidized aluminum inside liner ring,then leather attached and then laced up in a circle at the top of the where it rests on yer' 'top-knot'

(I think your pretty cool,friend.)

Let me add this extra little bit of 'info' being the hairy chested/wayfaring wander/ gypsy that I am,,, I had 'stashed' that German helmet up in the roof/rafter trusse's of my fathers damn near 100 yard long shop building he had, when he passed on,I went home and it was "AWOL",, AFTER INTENSIVE HEATED ENQUIRERY my little brother had snagged it some time in the past, and that colt's .357mag I'd laid on my dad (a good one) needless to say I had to drive up to northern Ohio to retrieve my sh*t,,he still don't want none of my action and he's 6'4"! 240lb.
Luv u guys.
Last edited by Melon feud on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herargon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:33 pm

Arlenton wrote:
Greater Nazi Germanic Reich wrote:I like the German uniforms and helmets during World War II. I do not like it when the swastika is censored on the uniform. That undermines history for the sake of political correctness. Models of uniforms should be as historically accurate as possible.

I agree, but is the swastika censored for reenactors in Europe? Here in the US, reenactors wear M35 helmets with swastikas and SS runes and everything. Generally every reenactment or military equipment sale around here has Nazi German flags and badges with the swastikas all over the place.

The swastika or hooked cross is forbidden for usage, yes. In most of Europe (not all, but nevertheless a quite large part of it). But there are certain exceptions, although it remains very strict. Such as:

• for historical usage (re-enactments, for example — although out of honour and respect for the victims and due to it being a taboo, people don't even use it that often there).

• for movies and films - but not games. It is allowed like in movies that focus on the time. Think of Der Untergang, The Inglorious Bastards, et cetera.

• for educative purposes (musea for example might have WW2 objects that include a swastika).

It isn't the Hindu swastika that is hated by people there, although they might frown upon it because they haven't seen it before and think: 'an inverted swastika? ... oh, that's the Hindu one, allright...' It is only the Nazi type of 1/8th turned hooked cross that is really hated since it is a symbol of hate, discrimination against anything, and oppression and death. Many people died because of the ideology it represents. That's why it is banned in most of Europe.

That said, I personally really like the French uniforms from the tide of Napoleon. Or the current Bundesheer (land army), or the Dutch Marechaussée uniforms.
Pro: tolerance, individualism, technocratism, democratism, freedom, freedom of speech and moderate religious expression, the ban on hate speech, constitutional monarchism, the Rhine model
Against: intolerance, radicalism, strong discrimination, populism, fascism, nazism, communism, totalitarianism, authoritarianism, absolutarianism, fundamentalism, strong religious expression, strong nationalism, police states

If you like philosophy, then here you can see what your own philosophical alignements are.

Ifreann wrote:That would certainly save the local regiment of American troops the trouble of plugging your head in ye olde shittere.
How scifi alliances actually work.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:41 pm

Going back to the 15 century, the Incas also had a type of uniform for the military.

The warriors celebrated the end of their training with a celebration called a Huarachcu; this is where they received the following: a metal badge, a uniform called Huara, military shoes called Ojotas and big earrings which represented their military rank.

The Inca warriors wore very strong protection. They carried shields made of both copper and wood and a copper chest apron with hardened leather and cotton on the inside for comfort. Also they wore copper tibia protectors as well as arm protection. The warriors wore helmets made of either copper or wood that were decorated with feathers – the amount of feathers on their helmet determined their military rank.

Photo of what it looked like - https://incancivilisation.files.wordpre ... .jpg?w=418

They also had ranks. See spoiler for rank chart -

Inca Rank-----------------------Current equivalent------------Number of soldiers under their command

Aucac Runa------------------ Soldier------------------------------ 0
Púcara Camayuk-------------Castillian---------------------------0
Runancha---------------------Guide------------------------------- 0
Quipa Camayuk--------------Trumpeter--------------------------0
(wooden trumpet)
Choru Camayuk--------------Trumpeter--------------------------0
(conch shell)
Huancar Camayuk-----------Drummer--------------------------- 0
Unanchayanac---------------Subaltern--------------------------- 5
Chunga Kamayuk------------Sub-lieutenant--------------------10
Piccka Chunka Kamayuk--- Lieutenant-------------------------50
Pachac Kamayuk------------ Centurion-------------------------100
Guaranga Kamayuk---------Battalion Leader----------------1,000
Kamayuk----------------------Officer
Apu Randin-------------------Captain Lieutenant
Hatun Apu Randin-----------Lieutenant Commander
Apu----------------------------Captain
Hatun Apu--------------------Brigadier General----------- 4,000-5,000
Apusquin Rantin------------- Major General------------------10,000
Apusquispay------------------Army General----------The whole field army
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:47 pm

I've always fancied these WWI medieval-looking French helmets designed to protect the face from shell splinters and grenade fragments:

Trench-storming gear in the first world war was incredible.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Arlenton
Postmaster-General

Postby Arlenton » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Prosorusiya wrote:I really like the new US Army all blue dress uniforms, I just wish we saw more of them. The US needs more military parades, it would help restore confidence in the Federal Government. They'd be ideal wear for when the National Guard has march in to clean up after whatever mess the civilian police forces (a concept I once firmly believed in but now have absolutely no confidence in) have made.

That bit of politicking aside, I'd like to see some 19th can. Russian uniforms as well. I'm a big fan of Kepis, Shakos, Frock Coats, and Zouaves, so you could say my military fashion tastes are more French than anything. I am quite fond of the Mongol Uniforms as well, and British cavalry is pretty as well. I guess on the Germanic\Slavic side I'm quite fond of Uhlan uniforms and Russian peaked caps.

I've also thought the French Adrian helmet looked the nicest, followed by the East German\Soviet\Inter-Czechoslovak rimless helmets.

I got you fam.

Russian Grenadiers during the Napoleonic Wars.
Russian Infantry during the Crimean War
French Voltigeurs of the Imperial Guard, 1860
French Chasseur of the Imperial Guard, 1860
French Infantry, 1870
Prussian Jager, 1870
Chicago Zouaves Cadets at the start of the American Civil War
14th NYSM with French style uniforms in the American Civil War
Louisiana French style Zouaves and Chasseur in the ACW
An Ohio unit in the ACW had a pretty cool grey uniform and shako.
Various ACW Union troops with some French style uniforms and kepis.
Italian Redshirts attacking Sardinian (?) Infantry, 1860s. French influence was strong on both sides.
Last edited by Arlenton on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:54 pm

The beat Uniforms are obviously the Germans ones used during their tenure in WW2 though the OCP also looks badass and is my close favorite. Only bad thing about tje OCP its that its costly as fuck.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:56 pm

Arlenton wrote:
Prosorusiya wrote:I really like the new US Army all blue dress uniforms, I just wish we saw more of them. The US needs more military parades, it would help restore confidence in the Federal Government. They'd be ideal wear for when the National Guard has march in to clean up after whatever mess the civilian police forces (a concept I once firmly believed in but now have absolutely no confidence in) have made.

I got you fam.

Russian Grenadiers during the Napoleonic Wars.
Russian Infantry during the Crimean War
French Voltigeurs of the Imperial Guard, 1860
French Chasseur of the Imperial Guard, 1860
French Infantry, 1870
Prussian Jager, 1870
Chicago Zouaves Cadets at the start of the American Civil War
14th NYSM with French style uniforms in the American Civil War
Louisiana French style Zouaves and Chasseur in the ACW
An Ohio unit in the ACW had a pretty cool grey uniform and shako.
Various ACW Union troops with some French style uniforms and kepis.
Italian Redshirts attacking Sardinian (?) Infantry, 1860s

'ey, that's the picture I was trying to post! Thanks, mate.
For anyone wondering, I joined this website during my edgy teenage years. I made a lot of dumb, awkward posts, flip-flopped between various extreme ideologies, and just generally embarrassed myself. I denounce a sizable amount of my past posts. I am no longer active on NationStates and this nation/account is no longer used.

Vorond
Minister

Founded: Feb 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vorond » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:05 pm

The most badass hat imho:

German WW1 Marine-Luftschiffabteilung - the Zeppelin-bombardiers!

Well, and then there's of course the iconic Pickelhaube.
Last edited by Vorond on Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook
Diplomacy

“If a man isn't willing to take some risk for his opinions, either his opinions are no good or he's no good”
― Ezra Pound

The old wisdom of 4chan holdfs very true in almost every NSG thread.

Arlenton
Postmaster-General

Postby Arlenton » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:07 pm

Vorond wrote:The most badass hat imho:

Nice! Never looked into the Zeppelin crew uniforms.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:09 pm

You call that "badass"?

Mate...

San Marlindo
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby San Marlindo » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:10 pm

Looks very Colonel Blimp-ish and campy.
"Cold, analytical, materialistic thinking tends to throttle the urge to imagination." - Michael Chekhov

Arlenton
Postmaster-General

Postby Arlenton » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:14 pm

The Wolven League wrote:

You call that "badass"?

Mate...

Lets not forget that a company of the 6th Alabama Infantry during the American Civil War wore Davy Crockett coonskin caps in order to appear more badass. They even called themselves the "Raccoon Roughs".

Zostra
Diplomat

Founded: May 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Zostra » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:18 pm

The Wolven League wrote:

You call that "badass"?

Mate...

Mackensen is cheating when it comes to being badass
I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.9

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:26 pm

Arlenton wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Helmets promote cowardice.

Speaking of bayonet charges, IJA officers in the 30-40's were literally taught that drawing your gunto and screaming 天皇陛下万歳 yielded the same firepower as a dozen riflemen. <.<

On topic: I've been taking a liking to the IJN Full Dress, mostly because I'm unable to say no to bicorns and gilded epaulettes.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Pimps Inc
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pimps Inc » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:07 pm

Arlenton wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:You call that "badass"?

Mate...

Lets not forget that a company of the 6th Alabama Infantry during the American Civil War wore Davy Crockett coonskin caps in order to appear more badass. They even called themselves the "Raccoon Roughs".

Willhelm II Pickelhaube

Or Maximilian I of Mexico's just because the eagle is eating a snake and just Germanic uniforms in general.

Though in naval uniforms, the Soviets in the latter half of the Cold War were king.
Roleplay Information
2024: The Long Peace - United Mexican States

Risottia wrote:
United States of White America wrote:Although Nietzsche was a god-fearing atheist and his quote is positive, I believe it is negative. I think God has died because of our corrupt, open society, where there is no objective sense of right and wrong. Instead, I propose to resurrect God and avenge him.

No way.

When we meet aliens from outer space, we'll yell:

We poison our air and water to weed out the weak!
We set off fission bombs in our only biosphere!
We nailed our god to a stick!
Don't fuck with the human race!

Kanye West 2024

Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:09 pm

Oh this is a thread I can get behind. Anybody else miss the uniforms of, like, the victorian age?
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

Pimps Inc
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pimps Inc » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:19 pm

Internationalist Bastard wrote:Oh this is a thread I can get behind. Anybody else miss the uniforms of, like, the victorian age?

Of what nation and what decade of it?
Roleplay Information
2024: The Long Peace - United Mexican States

Risottia wrote:
United States of White America wrote:Although Nietzsche was a god-fearing atheist and his quote is positive, I believe it is negative. I think God has died because of our corrupt, open society, where there is no objective sense of right and wrong. Instead, I propose to resurrect God and avenge him.

No way.

When we meet aliens from outer space, we'll yell:

We poison our air and water to weed out the weak!
We set off fission bombs in our only biosphere!
We nailed our god to a stick!
Don't fuck with the human race!

Kanye West 2024

Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:21 pm

Pimps Inc wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:Oh this is a thread I can get behind. Anybody else miss the uniforms of, like, the victorian age?

Of what nation and what decade of it?

Of every nation around like, the 1860s really. I love them all
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

Yugoslav Memes
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Yugoslav Memes » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:23 pm

yugoslav m59 was nice tho
Factbook - Trobojka

Shooting all the old people is a feasible and effective solution whenever your ideas meet some obstacles.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General