NATION

PASSWORD

UK Referendum Thread [Moderator Sanctioned]

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:35 am

And really my fear is this: What happens when it stops being motivated just by race or nationality. What happens when these [EXPLETIVE REDACTED]s decide to go after anyone who doesn't fit their stereotype of "English"?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:39 am

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:40 am

I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

Ralkovian Grand Island
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovian Grand Island » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:42 am

Vassenor wrote:And really my fear is this: What happens when it stops being motivated just by race or nationality. What happens when these [EXPLETIVE REDACTED]s decide to go after anyone who doesn't fit their stereotype of "English"?

A great many boxes of tea will be thrown into the London Harbor and the Queen shall reclaim her glorious place on the Throne.
Lyras:You know, you're a sick fuck, yes?
Ralk: I have stacks on stacks and racks on racks of slaves.
BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk.

Estainia: The countless genocides...So many countless genocides.

Old Tyrannia wrote:You've never met Ralk before, have you? Ralk doesn't have friends.
He only respects the strong, and preys on the weak.
He might act polite and smile all the time, but always remember...
The day will come when you'll wake up to find him looming over your bed,
knife in hand, and he'll still be smiling.

Constaniana wrote:Ralk is evil incarnate, shouldn't you know this by now?

Seriong wrote:Ralk isn't a troll, he's just despicable.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:43 am

Ralkovian Grand Island wrote:
Vassenor wrote:And really my fear is this: What happens when it stops being motivated just by race or nationality. What happens when these [EXPLETIVE REDACTED]s decide to go after anyone who doesn't fit their stereotype of "English"?

A great many boxes of tea will be thrown into the London Harbor and the Queen shall reclaim her glorious place on the Throne.

I hope you don't hold it against me that I don't find that funny.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:46 am

Ifreann wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
The welfare state is shit in the first place compared to the solution I offered, especially when you consider the studies on long term unemployment, and that as we've seen, it's demonstrably unstable due to resentment.

In order to even get them to be open to the idea they are factually wrong, you have to deal with the feeling first. All that study shows in effect is how intensely they feel about it. You're asking them to guess, they don't know, they just know it happens.

I'm a little surprised that you want to address people's feelings rather than the factual reality of the situation.

The factual reality of the situation is that expecting people to be rational instead of emotional has proved a failing strategy.
Policies should be designed, framed, or pitched, so as to alleviate feelings of opponents, but deal with the factual reality.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Terruana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terruana » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:56 am

Has anyone else seen this comment posted on an online Guardian article circulating social media?

"If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign"

Whilst acknowledging that this is essentially a conspiracy theory with zero hard evidence, part of me (wishful thinking perhaps?) thinks it fits perfectly
Political Compass Score:
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:57 am

Just hearing from Boris Johnson, who reacts to George Osborne's statement this morning.

The Leave campaigner says: "It's clear that Project Fear is over, there's not going to be an emergency Budget, people's pensions are safe, the pound is stable, the markets are stable."

"I think that's all very good news."

https://dwq4do82y8xi7.cloudfront.net/x/tG7lXYVF/
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:58 am

Souseiseki wrote:Just hearing from Boris Johnson, who reacts to George Osborne's statement this morning.

The Leave campaigner says: "It's clear that Project Fear is over, there's not going to be an emergency Budget, people's pensions are safe, the pound is stable, the markets are stable."

"I think that's all very good news."

https://dwq4do82y8xi7.cloudfront.net/x/tG7lXYVF/

Is anyone surprised that Boris pretty much lives in his own little world at this point?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:01 am

Terruana wrote: -snip-

tbh, I haven't heard anything but that comment recently :P

Most media has at least mentioned it somewhere.

Souseiseki wrote:Just hearing from Boris Johnson, who reacts to George Osborne's statement this morning.

Quite:

Valaran wrote:It was on TV so I don't have a link just yet but:

"It is clear now that Project Fear is over" - Boris Johnson

He then lists pensions being safe (uh, no)
Markets stabilised (they fell again, but not by as much)
No Emergency Budget (true)

Says "Absolutely" when asked about whether we will have access to the Free Market, while getting into a car.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:26 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-e ... m-36644211

Just when you thought the "full agreement" Hollande and Renzi had between themselves and Merkel was to be more lenient.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:31 am

Arkolon wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36644211

Just when you thought the "full agreement" Hollande and Renzi had between themselves and Merkel was to be more lenient.

But surely we can rely on...oh... uh... Luxembourg to see our side of things!

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:31 am

OH BOY!

http://thenews.pl/1/10/Artykul/258994,N ... any-report

This is going to be great.

So the EU leadership has basically decided to flip it's shit completely over brexit, and is now saying
'We're taking away more powers from the rest of the members in response to this, and will begin centralizing into a european superstate imminently.'

TVP Info said the proposals would mean members of a superstate would in practice have no right to their own army, to a separate criminal code or a separate tax system, and would not have their own currency.
In addition, TVP Info said, member states would lose control over their own borders and procedures for admitting and relocating refugees.

Good way to unite most of the country behind brexit tbh, unless we decide to meekly acquiese and agree to join this new superstate.

We really were the only thing holding these guys back.

So, place your bets, united europe by 2020, or it explodes in spectacular fashion as hysteria over the proposals torpedo it?
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:34 am

Valaran wrote:

But surely we can rely on...oh... uh... Luxembourg to see our side of things!

Our beloved former PM seems just as stubborn!
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:41 am

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:56 am

Hydesland wrote:

Great source 10/10.

Is it like the onion?

Mefpan
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mefpan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:59 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:OH BOY!

http://thenews.pl/1/10/Artykul/258994,N ... any-report

This is going to be great.

So the EU leadership has basically decided to flip it's shit completely over brexit, and is now saying
'We're taking away more powers from the rest of the members in response to this, and will begin centralizing into a european superstate imminently.'

TVP Info said the proposals would mean members of a superstate would in practice have no right to their own army, to a separate criminal code or a separate tax system, and would not have their own currency.
In addition, TVP Info said, member states would lose control over their own borders and procedures for admitting and relocating refugees.

Good way to unite most of the country behind brexit tbh, unless we decide to meekly acquiese and agree to join this new superstate.

We really were the only thing holding these guys back.

So, place your bets, united europe by 2020, or it explodes in spectacular fashion as hysteria over the proposals torpedo it?

Sadly, this is probably a massive load of bullshit.

Like the dreaded EU ban on curved bananas.
I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you want to play a game of chess?
NationStates' umpteenth dirty ex-leftist class traitor.
I left the Left when it turned Right. Now I'm going back to the Right because it's all that's Left.
Yeah, Screw Realism!
Loyal Planet of Mankind

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:15 am

i would unironcally support euro-lincolns army

take me juncker
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:20 am

This makes perfect sense.

There's no benefit for Europe to not know very clear where this is going.
The Blaatschapen should resign

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:27 am

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:
Hydesland wrote:
Great source 10/10.

Is it like the onion?

No, it is actually a serious and relatively high quality source.
Relatively compared to other Polish newssources of course.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:28 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Mad hatters in jeans wrote:Is it like the onion?

No, it is actually a serious and relatively high quality source.

Either way given that no other news source seems to be covering it I'm inclined to call sensationalism.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Talvezout
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Talvezout » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:28 am

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:
Hydesland wrote:
Great source 10/10.

Is it like the onion?

Looking through things, I've only found four sources, the Polish one Ostro linked to, Ukraine Today, Pravda, and Express
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
talveziobiblio.org.tz

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:29 am

Vassenor wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:No, it is actually a serious and relatively high quality source.

Either way given that no other news source seems to be covering it I'm inclined to call sensationalism.

But I want in on the whole European superstate thing... :p
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

American Imperial State
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby American Imperial State » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:32 am

EU makes sense in some ways, but the EU will never be a 'superstate', and if it did end up that way it would be similar to Austria-Hungary in WW1. Weakened by internal division and cultural differences.

America is about twice the size of Europe and has 300 million people. We are capable of (barely) being somewhat of a unified nation because we have similar language, culture and values. Europe is too diverse to function as a government.

Do you know how ineffective a EU military would be?
Wenn Alle Untreu Werden

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:40 am

T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General