NATION

PASSWORD

I Don't Give A TET About This Title

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:56 pm

Great Feng wrote:
Jochizyd Republic wrote:Yeah. I feel much the same way about all that's happened.

Brexit...The coup in Turkey....South China Sea shit...
The world is going straight to hell.
Just my luck, the world may end before I even graduate from High School or turn old enough to drink.

I feel it prudent to pull you back down to Terra firma. World being in shit doesn't mean we're one step away from nuclear Armageddon. World powers don't even have the cojones to put boots on the ground in troubled parts right now.
Last edited by Gallade on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|| Miss me with that factional BS || RIP Dyakovo. You were a true friend, you will be forever missed. ||

Français, en guerriers magnanimes, portez ou retenez vos coups! Épargnez ces tristes victimes à regret s'armant contre nous
My TG box is for friends, not food
Feel like making a direct change rather than just bickering over crises?
Help give orphaned children a safe environment to grow
Combat Homelessness

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:57 pm

Vedilia wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
10 years ago we were also 10 years younger.

I think youth does tint life in a more positive way than it actually is.

When I was eight, I had my brother to give me shit, not the world.
There were less global issues I was aware of, that's about it. I do agree a tiny bit with the thrust of "Stressed Out", though...

Yeah. Ignorance really is bliss.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Great Feng
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:59 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Great Feng wrote:Brexit...The coup in Turkey....South China Sea shit...
Just my luck, the world may end before I even graduate from High School or turn old enough to drink.

Indeed. I have this same feeling about 2016.

If the world ends tomorrow, quite frankly, it'd be a good thing.

Not me I need to still redeem myself for my sins! :p
I think WW3 may start soon.
Am I the only one in TET who feels this way?

Great Feng
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:00 pm

Gallade wrote:

I feel it prudent to pull you back down to Terra firma. World being in shit doesn't mean we're one step away from nuclear Armageddon. World powers don't even have the cojones to put boots on the ground in troubled parts right now.

No I know. No one wanted WW1 to happen either(WW2 though some wanted it).
But it did.
I'm saying, don't think WW3 is likely, but don't rule it out.

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:00 pm

The balkens wrote:
Better?

I mean, comparatively speaking.

No, 2006 was objectively sweet. Everyone had stopped caring about the Middle East, last true year of economic stability, reeeeeeally nice summer.

Ah, 2006.
|| Miss me with that factional BS || RIP Dyakovo. You were a true friend, you will be forever missed. ||

Français, en guerriers magnanimes, portez ou retenez vos coups! Épargnez ces tristes victimes à regret s'armant contre nous
Combat Homelessness

Vedilia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Vedilia » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:01 pm

Great Feng wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Indeed. I have this same feeling about 2016.

If the world ends tomorrow, quite frankly, it'd be a good thing.

Not me I need to still redeem myself for my sins! :p
I think WW3 may start soon.
Am I the only one in TET who feels this way?

I'm sorry, but I think this is part of the global equilibrium.
Luziyca wrote:
Vedilia wrote:When I was eight, I had my brother to give me shit, not the world.
There were less global issues I was aware of, that's about it. I do agree a tiny bit with the thrust of "Stressed Out", though...

Yeah. Ignorance really is bliss.

After all I've seen, I can only say amen to that.
embrace apathy and hate fullwidth
NEVER AGAIN

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:02 pm

Great Feng wrote:
Gallade wrote:I feel it prudent to pull you back down to Terra firma. World being in shit doesn't mean we're one step away from nuclear Armageddon. World powers don't even have the cojones to put boots on the ground in troubled parts right now.

No I know. No one wanted WW1 to happen either(WW2 though some wanted it).
But it did.

There are a few times I can preface a sentence with "As a foreign diplomat, I..."

Here's one. As a foreign diplomat, I am ruling out World War 3 within this decade.

Combat Homelessness

Great Feng
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:02 pm

Gallade wrote:

No, 2006 was objectively sweet. Everyone had stopped caring about the Middle East, last true year of economic stability, reeeeeeally nice summer.

Ah, 2006.

What about 2007?

Great Feng
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:03 pm

Gallade wrote:
Great Feng wrote:No I know. No one wanted WW1 to happen either(WW2 though some wanted it).
But it did.

There are a few times I can preface a sentence with "As a foreign diplomat, I..."

Here's one. As a foreign diplomat, I am ruling out World War 3 within this decade.

Perhaps.
But don't rule it out entirely. It may be very unlikely(89% or 95% unlikely), but still realistically possible within this decade.

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:04 pm

Great Feng wrote:
Gallade wrote:No, 2006 was objectively sweet. Everyone had stopped caring about the Middle East, last true year of economic stability, reeeeeeally nice summer.

Ah, 2006.

What about 2007?

2007 is when the economic troubles started in my part of the world and suddenly all our prospects were much bleaker. 2007 was awful.

Combat Homelessness

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:05 pm

Great Feng wrote:
Gallade wrote:There are a few times I can preface a sentence with "As a foreign diplomat, I..."

Perhaps.
But don't rule it out entirely. It may be very unlikely(89% or 95% unlikely), but still realistically possible within this decade.

No, it's really not.

Combat Homelessness

Great Feng
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:05 pm

Gallade wrote:
Great Feng wrote:What about 2007?

2007 is when the economic troubles started in my part of the world and suddenly all our prospects were much bleaker. 2007 was awful.

Ah.
Well we're fucked.

Great Feng
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Gallade wrote:
Great Feng wrote:Perhaps.

No, it's really not.

People ruled out WW1 years in the same decade it happened as realistically extremely unlikely. Same with WW2.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:07 pm

Gallade wrote:

Not really, but if Trump even achieves power... all I know is that I am at the point where I feel Trump is the leader the USA deserves. Not to support his policies, but because his character reflects that of most of the American population.

This year has really destroyed what little faith of humanity I had left.
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Great Feng
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:08 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Gallade wrote:I feel it prudent to pull you back down to Terra firma. World being in shit doesn't mean we're one step away from nuclear Armageddon. World powers don't even have the cojones to put boots on the ground in troubled parts right now.

Not really, but if Trump even achieves power... all I know is that I am at the point where I feel Trump is the leader the USA deserves. Not to support his policies, but because his character reflects that of most of the American population.

There's still hope!
Cascadia could secede from the USA and I could become King!
Sure, that;s 99% unlikely, but hey, it's something, right? :lol:

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:12 pm

Great Feng wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Not really, but if Trump even achieves power... all I know is that I am at the point where I feel Trump is the leader the USA deserves. Not to support his policies, but because his character reflects that of most of the American population.

There's still hope!

I am more in favor of the USA dissolving into 50-some countries like how the USSR dissolved into 15 republics.

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:12 pm

Great Feng wrote:
Gallade wrote:No, it's really not.

People ruled out WW1 years in the same decade it happened as realistically extremely unlikely. Same with WW2.

We have alternatives to open warfare that was not technologically possible in either the First or Second World Wars. Drones are infinitely more preferable than land invasions when it comes to guerilla warfare.

We are being asked to prepare for the new normal for a reason - the long haul, unfortunately or no, is scattered attacks on occasion and a summary retaliation.

In short, no WW3 this decade. Very unlikely for there to be one over the next few decades I'd go so far to speculate.

Combat Homelessness

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:15 pm

Great Feng wrote:
Gallade wrote:No, it's really not.

The 'ruling out' of WW2 was based on political naivety, both genuine and forged, by backbenchers and journalists. From Versailles onwards, the French government was keenly aware of the imminent threat of the German war machine - to quote Ferdinand Foch, Supreme Allied Commander at the close of WWI, "this is not a peace. It is an armistice for twenty years". The Maginot Line was based entirely on an awareness of WWI and its applicability to the future.

The USSR was also extremely worried about Axis incursion - part of the reason for Molotov-Ribbentrop was to allow Russia to deal with the potential for the Balkans and Turkey to flip to the Axis, as they had in WWI, without over-extending its front. They knew it would have been too costly to do what France was hoping for them to do, to open a new front on the Central Powers as they had in WWI. It was WWI that led to the collapse of Russia into the Bolshevik Revolution.

I'm firmly of the opinion that Chamberlain's appeasement was mainly to buy time, but I'm not well-versed on British politics, and in hindsight it is blindingly obvious that that was, at the very least, a disputably reasonable response. But for most other parties, WWII was an incredibly foreseeable event based on existing tensions that had been considered in detail, down to the Russian invasion of Manchuria that marked its dying days. In the same way, theorists and diplomats can reasonably consider factors like the ones Gallade is presenting in order to predict that a new World War would be so unlikely as to be an impossibility.
Last edited by The Grim Reaper on Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:16 pm

Gallade wrote:
Great Feng wrote:People ruled out WW1 years in the same decade it happened as realistically extremely unlikely. Same with WW2.

We have alternatives to open warfare that was not technologically possible in either the First or Second World Wars. Drones are infinitely more preferable than land invasions when it comes to guerilla warfare.

We are being asked to prepare for the new normal for a reason - the long haul, unfortunately or no, is scattered attacks on occasion and a summary retaliation.

In short, no WW3 this decade. Very unlikely for there to be one over the next few decades I'd go so far to speculate.

Yeah.

Personally, I don't think there's any chance of WW3 really taking place.

But with Brexit, with the rise of the far-right in the Western world, the police brutality (and retaliation against the police), and rising terrorism... it feels as if we are standing on the precipice of prosperity, and the precipice is getting narrower and narrower until we end up falling.

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:18 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Gallade wrote:We have alternatives to open warfare that was not technologically possible in either the First or Second World Wars. Drones are infinitely more preferable than land invasions when it comes to guerilla warfare.

Yeah.

But with Brexit, with the rise of the far-right in the Western world, the police brutality (and retaliation against the police), and rising terrorism... it feels as if we are standing on the precipice of prosperity, and the precipice is getting narrower and narrower until we end up falling.

If this decade is anything, it's a serious test of globalism and relatively centrist democracy, agreed.

Combat Homelessness

Vedilia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Vedilia » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:19 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Great Feng wrote:There's still hope!

I am more in favor of the USA dissolving into 50-some countries like how the USSR dissolved into 15 republics.

That would be horrible.
Luziyca wrote:
Gallade wrote:We have alternatives to open warfare that was not technologically possible in either the First or Second World Wars. Drones are infinitely more preferable than land invasions when it comes to guerilla warfare.

Yeah.

We have another hundred years at most, maybe, before the nukes fly.
I dunno. Hopefully not in my lifetime!
embrace apathy and hate fullwidth
NEVER AGAIN

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:23 pm

Gallade wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Yeah.

If this decade is anything, it's a serious test of globalism and relatively centrist democracy, agreed.

Indeed. I hope the latter makes it through it. But for the former, we can do with some economic nationalism and not be too dependent on foreign companies.

Mattopilos
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mattopilos » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:13 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Gallade wrote:If this decade is anything, it's a serious test of globalism and relatively centrist democracy, agreed.

Indeed. I hope the latter makes it through it. But for the former, we can do with some economic nationalism and not be too dependent on foreign companies.

Honestly in this day and age, decentralization and globalism is the best way to go. I do agree though - the EU needs to loosen up a little on their wacky policies.
"From each according to their ability, to each according to their needs"
Dialectic egoist/Communist Egoist, Post-left anarchist, moral nihilist, Intersectional Anarcha-feminist.
my political compass:Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23

Pros:Anarchy, Communism (not that of Stalin or Mao), abortion rights, LGBTI rights, secularism i.e. SOCAS, Agnostic atheism, free speech (within reason), science, most dark humor, dialectic egoism, anarcha-feminism.
Cons: Capitalism, Free market, Gnostic atheism and theism, the far right, intolerance of any kind, dictatorships, pseudoscience and snake-oil peddling, imperialism and overuse of military, liberalism, radical and liberal feminism

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:53 pm

Luziyca wrote:

It really doesn't reflect most of the population. Most Americans don't like him. It's just that he and his supporters make a lot of noise.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:01 pm

Mattopilos wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Indeed. I hope the latter makes it through it. But for the former, we can do with some economic nationalism and not be too dependent on foreign companies.

Honestly in this day and age, decentralization and globalism is the best way to go. I do agree though - the EU needs to loosen up a little on their wacky policies.

Indeed. Some globalism is nice, but I prefer glocalism.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General