NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread III: Thready McThreadface (+ Jo Cox)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which of the following would you prefer to be the next leader of the Conservative Party?

Andrea Leadsom
18%
Liam Fox
5%
Michael Gove
11%
Stephen Crabb
4%
Theresa May
25%
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
38%

Total votes : 152

Wolfmanne2
Senator

Founded: Sep 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne2 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:39 am

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... ap-general

Nihil and Lamadia, go pop the champagne. Corbots, don't wake up or you'll smell the coffee.
ESFP
United in Labour! Jezbollah and Saint Tony together!

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:Yeah precipitating on everyone doesn't go down well usually. You seem patient enough to chat to us, i'm willing to count that as nice.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:43 am

Wolfmanne2 wrote:https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/76611/exclusive-150-labour-mps-face-defeat-snap-general

Nihil and Lamadia, go pop the champagne. Corbots, don't wake up or you'll smell the coffee.

Holy crap! That is insane. I raised the prospect a couple of days ago it could be like Scotland all over again but I never thought something like this was a possibility.
Slava Ukraini

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:45 am

if you win a landslide election after blowing up the country and making a blunder so bad we're already trying to figure out where on the list of bas governments you're going i will fucking scream
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:46 am

oh right it's a leave thing

who are they losing the seats to then?
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Wolfmanne2
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne2 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:49 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:
Wolfmanne2 wrote:https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/76611/exclusive-150-labour-mps-face-defeat-snap-general

Holy crap! That is insane. I raised the prospect a couple of days ago it could be like Scotland all over again but I never thought something like this was a possibility.

This coup is really all or nothing. I don't think I've ever seen grassroots moderates so organised right now, we're literally fighting for our existence.
Last edited by Wolfmanne2 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ESFP

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:Yeah precipitating on everyone doesn't go down well usually. You seem patient enough to chat to us, i'm willing to count that as nice.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:49 am

Already got our first slogan for the people that are remainers. Vote labour get UKIP.
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:50 am

Dejanic wrote:1: Your ideology died when the eastern bloc fell.
ahahahahhahaha
Restore the Crown

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:51 am

Wolfmanne2 wrote:
The Nihilistic view wrote:

This coup is really all or nothing. I don't think I've ever seen grassroots moderates so organised right now, we're literally fighting for our existence.

how do you intend to get leave areas back on board

T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Wolfmanne2
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne2 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:52 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:Already got our first slogan for the people that are remainers. Vote labour get UKIP.

Labour might basically become the London SNP. Which is sorta cool I guess, I can moan about Westminster like Sous even though it's in the same city.

Souseiseki wrote:
Wolfmanne2 wrote:This coup is really all or nothing. I don't think I've ever seen grassroots moderates so organised right now, we're literally fighting for our existence.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1458 ... _new_poll/

Getting rid of Corbyn. Even his so-called 'core-group plus' is ditching him and they're the ones who didn't just want to make it work, but also were against the 'constant sniping', as Corbyn himself might put it.
Last edited by Wolfmanne2 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ESFP

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:53 am

Souseiseki wrote:
Wolfmanne2 wrote:This coup is really all or nothing. I don't think I've ever seen grassroots moderates so organised right now, we're literally fighting for our existence.

let me tell you about PRIVATE FINANCE INITIATIVES
Restore the Crown

Wolfmanne2
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne2 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:54 am

Questers wrote:
Souseiseki wrote:
let me tell you about PRIVATE FINANCE INITIATIVES

They're just dead memes now. No one is saying go back to the 90s or 2000s. When soft leftists like Lisa Nandy, Owen Smith and Angela Eagle can't deal with Corbyn, you know it's shit.
ESFP

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:04 am

I am not inherently or intrinsically against replacing Corbyn. His performance in PMQs was lacklustre, he doesn't have the panache of a modern politician and he does have some personally very sketchy views.

However if he's going to be replaced with someone in the new labourite tradition it will really be the end of the Party.

There's absolutely no reason for anyone in the ex-labour heartlands where leave dominated -- and where big name labourites would lose their vote in a snap election, apparently -- to come back to voting for any of those types of people.

Last year during the leadership election we can probably remember how the two centre-right options for Labour (Cooper & Kendall) and Andy Burnham all abstained on the Welfare Bill. Corbyn voted no. Imo this says everything about these people. We could replace Corbyn, tbh, but the leftwards movement of the Party is irreplaceable.
Last edited by Questers on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:04 am

oh did we mention they don't actually have a candidate to replace corbyn lol

T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:11 am

Questers wrote:I am not inherently or intrinsically against replacing Corbyn. His performance in PMQs was lacklustre, he doesn't have the panache of a modern politician and he does have some personally very sketchy views.

However if he's going to be replaced with someone in the new labourite tradition it will really be the end of the Party.

There's absolutely no reason for anyone in the ex-labour heartlands where leave dominated -- and where big name labourites would lose their vote in a snap election, apparently -- to come back to voting for any of those types of people.

Last year during the leadership election we can probably remember how the two centre-right options for Labour (Cooper & Kendall) and Andy Burnham all abstained on the Welfare Bill. Corbyn voted no. Imo this says everything about these people. We could replace Corbyn, tbh, but the leftwards movement of the Party is irreplaceable.

Burnham might be able to unite the party tbh. I'd say the left wing faction have made their point pretty clear. Move left, or we'll destroy everything.
Problem is he's a loyalist and has already said he's against this coup, and is loyal to the party and to its leader.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:11 am

There are millions -- quite literally -- of working class people who voted Leave because of dissatisfaction with politics and the slow erosion of their communities.

Why anyone thinks they would vote for Yvette Cooper is beyond me. If they get rid of Corbyn Labour has to put someone in who is ACTUALLY electable not electable in 2005.
Restore the Crown

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:13 am

Questers wrote:There are millions -- quite literally -- of working class people who voted Leave because of dissatisfaction with politics and the slow erosion of their communities.

Why anyone thinks they would vote for Yvette Cooper is beyond me. If they get rid of Corbyn Labour has to put someone in who is ACTUALLY electable not electable in 2005.

I agree. If they put a Blairite in his place, it is the end of the party and they will never recover.
The shift will be final and complete.

The working classes that don't give up altogether will join the Nationalists.

A candidate between Corbyn and the Blairites would be more acceptable, if the poll numbers were emphasized.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:13 am

Questers wrote:Why anyone thinks they would vote for Yvette Cooper is beyond me. If they get rid of Corbyn Labour has to put someone in who is ACTUALLY electable not electable in 2005.

Any ideas?

I can't come up with one...
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:13 am

hope is a mistake, england is dead

T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Wolfmanne2
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne2 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:14 am

Valaran wrote:
Questers wrote:Why anyone thinks they would vote for Yvette Cooper is beyond me. If they get rid of Corbyn Labour has to put someone in who is ACTUALLY electable not electable in 2005.

Any ideas?

Owen Smith would satisfy Questers.
ESFP

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:14 am

Valaran wrote:

Any ideas?

Burnham, on the understanding he drifts slightly leftward of how he ran his leadership campaign. I think that would be acceptable.

He was the fallback candidate for Corbyn supporters, has been loyal to Corbyn until now, etc. He lacks the stain of being a Blairite in revolt.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:15 am

Valaran wrote:

Any ideas?

The best part: no. I can't think of any. It has to be non-Corbyn cabinet but not far right enough that they would actually propose changing something about the fucking country. Maybe Benn? I don't know. There is also Burnham but he was in the Corbyn cabinet sooo
Last edited by Questers on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:17 am

Wolfmanne2 wrote:Owen Smith would satisfy Questers.

Would he satisfy you, too?

I don't know his views.

Questers wrote: The best part: no. I can't think of any. It has to be non-Corbyn cabinet but not far right enough that they would actually propose changing something about the fucking country. Maybe Benn? I don't know. There is also Burnham but he was in the Corbyn cabinet sooo

I don't think Benn (I like him, but a lot now don't). Mayyybe Burnham could plod through as a Labour leader, but he's not ideal, I don't think.

e: this would also be a reply to Ostro as well, since you mentioned Burnham too.
Last edited by Valaran on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:18 am

Questers wrote:
Valaran wrote:

Any ideas?

The best part: no. I can't think of any. It has to be non-Corbyn cabinet but not far right enough that they would actually propose changing something about the fucking country. Maybe Benn? I don't know. There is also Burnham but he was in the Corbyn cabinet sooo

I don't see the problem with him being in Corbyns cabinet.
Ostro.MOV

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:19 am

Well he is "tainted" no?

To be honest, there are probably Labour MPs who fit my views almost accurately. But they wouldn't have enough public recognition.
Restore the Crown

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:19 am

http://i.imgur.com/DYV6vDp.jpg

streets full of jewish shops, kids not speaking german... but our gorious flag flies high again

T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General