NATION

PASSWORD

Suburb vs downtown.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Suburb vs downtown.

Postby Petrolheadia » Sun May 01, 2016 11:42 pm

Welcome! In this thread we will talk about what is better: suburbs or downtown.

Which one do you prefer? Why?

I personally prefer living in the suburbs. That way, land is cheaper, houses are bigger and you could have a real garden. Commuting has never been a problem to me.

And you?
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Sun May 01, 2016 11:45 pm

I've lived in the suburbs all my life. I love cities, though. Currently, I'd like to live the rest of my life in a city.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun May 01, 2016 11:46 pm

Downtown, cuz affordable rentable housing in the burbs is murder for commuting
downtown still has some nice poor people places to settle down in
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sun May 01, 2016 11:46 pm

Eol Sha wrote:I've lived in the suburbs all my life. I love cities, though. Currently, I'd like to live the rest of my life in a city.

Why?
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Sun May 01, 2016 11:46 pm

Out in the middle of nowhere...

But for the sake of the thread, Suburbs.
Even when I contradict myself, I am right.

Scarlet Tides
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Scarlet Tides » Sun May 01, 2016 11:46 pm

My current residence is in neither. Technically I'm in a city but the downtown is just a tourist trap, the city is more pockets of various neighborhoods with bars/shopping in walking distance of lots of homes, apartments and condos. Love it here.
Last edited by Scarlet Tides on Sun May 01, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sun May 01, 2016 11:47 pm

Kubra wrote:Downtown, cuz affordable rentable housing in the burbs is murder for commuting

You like living in poor places?

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 04, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Sun May 01, 2016 11:48 pm

I live in a town but I always love cities and I wouldn't mind living in one. I don't know why I want to live in a city but I do.
Naval Monte- The Mediterranean crossroads of mind-controlling conspiracies, twisted dimensions, inhuman depravity, questionable science, unholy commerce, heretical faiths, absurd politics, and cutting-edge art.

Make wonderful memories here, in Naval Monte.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun May 01, 2016 11:49 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:
Kubra wrote:Downtown, cuz affordable rentable housing in the burbs is murder for commuting

"liking" isn't exactly the right word
I mean poor people housing is where poor people live
Last edited by Kubra on Sun May 01, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sun May 01, 2016 11:50 pm

Kubra wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:
"liking" isn't exactly the right word

Oh, you mean that the downtown is turning into a poor place?

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun May 01, 2016 11:52 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:
Kubra wrote: "liking" isn't exactly the right word

Oh, you mean that the downtown is turning into a poor place?
Oh no, it's definitely not doing that
what I'm saying is that I am of low income and therefore live in low income housing
Comrade J. Posadas

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sun May 01, 2016 11:53 pm

Kubra wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:Oh, you mean that the downtown is turning into a poor place?
Oh no, it's definitely not doing that
what I'm saying is that I am of low income and therefore live in low income housing

Would you prefer living in the suburbs?

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun May 01, 2016 11:55 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:
Kubra wrote: Oh no, it's definitely not doing that

Would you prefer living in the suburbs?
Uh, no. As I said, affordable housing for rent in the burbs involves murderous commutes.
Comrade J. Posadas

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sun May 01, 2016 11:56 pm

I don't like cities. Too noisy, too many people, too bright, etc.

I prefer the suburbs, though I'd rather live further out. Like with the closest other person being a mile or more away.

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Sun May 01, 2016 11:59 pm

As a non-American, what is downtown? The CBD, food disctrict, night club area?
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Mon May 02, 2016 12:01 am

The Conez Imperium wrote:As a non-American, what is downtown? The CBD, food disctrict, night club area?
the place with all the skyscrapers
seriously. It's everything rolled into one.
Last edited by Kubra on Mon May 02, 2016 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comrade J. Posadas

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Mon May 02, 2016 12:01 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
Eol Sha wrote:I've lived in the suburbs all my life. I love cities, though. Currently, I'd like to live the rest of my life in a city.

Why?

So, I attended my first year of college in DC from 2014 to 2015. I loved it there. The metro system was reliable enough for my purposes and the things that I needed were within a reasonable distance. Not only that, but I personally loved the atmosphere of DC. That said, my experience may have been rose-colored because I attended American University. AU, for those who don't know, is located in Northwest DC near Embassy Row. Basically, it's located in one of the safest, and whitest, areas of the District and is far away from the rougher part of the city in southeast DC where, uncoincidentally, most of the city's African-American residents live. I imagine, if I'd lived near southeast DC where most of my Mom's family lives, I might feel a little differently. Throughout my life, when we were visiting them, my family and I have stayed in a number of relative's houses in Capitol Heights, Maryland (which is right across the border from Southeast DC). At least for me, I always felt a little unsafe when staying there. Heck, my Mom has told me more than once that she didn't like living where she grew up in Capitol Heights.

Besides DC, though, I spent half of my life living northwest of San Antonio, Texas in a pretty cookie cutter suburb. I love San Antonio. Even though I live in Columbus, Georgia now and am hoping to attend Georgia State University in Atlanta this fall, I'm hoping I'll move back to Texas, maybe even San Antonio, one day in the future.

Heck, one of the major reasons I'd like to attend GSU is because it's located smack dab in the city of Atlanta.
Last edited by Eol Sha on Mon May 02, 2016 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Mon May 02, 2016 12:01 am

The Conez Imperium wrote:As a non-American, what is downtown? The CBD, food disctrict, night club area?

Well, true downtown is disappearing, but it's essentially the business district in the middle of a city. It's usually lower than the rest of town, thus, downtown.
Even when I contradict myself, I am right.

The Forsworn Knights
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Forsworn Knights » Mon May 02, 2016 12:04 am

I have always lived in the surburbs with rocks buried around my house forming a sacred circle with a cursed rock in the front yard by the porch.
Plus, I have walked around town. Its nice to hang with friends or family for a day out, and I might live there when I am older, but I prefer my nice central suburbs with all the nice police officers and cute bulldogs.
Primary Author of The Forum Seven Guide to Location Threads
Reploid Productions wrote:It's rude to play with yourself in public.
Farnhamia wrote:
The Forsworn Knights wrote:Well, I assume Max Barry has money. So maybe he could buy a couple reporters.

He could but they don't keep for very long. A week, ten days if you keep them in the fridge, which is never convenient.
Reploid Productions wrote:Swearing is just fucking fine on this goddamn fucking forum
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon May 02, 2016 12:14 am

Downtown or country. No suburbs.

Downtown you have all the excitement and convenience of city life. You have access to everything you need in walking distance or a short bus/subway ride away, and cities just have so much style.

In the country you have peace and quiet and nature. It's relaxing, it's beautiful in its own way, and you don't have to worry about anyone getting in your business.

In the suburbs, you have neither the convenience of the city nor the peace and natural beauty of the countryside. I just don't understand the appeal.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon May 02, 2016 12:32 am

USS Monitor wrote:Downtown or country. No suburbs.

Downtown you have all the excitement and convenience of city life. You have access to everything you need in walking distance or a short bus/subway ride away, and cities just have so much style.

In the country you have peace and quiet and nature. It's relaxing, it's beautiful in its own way, and you don't have to worry about anyone getting in your business.

In the suburbs, you have neither the convenience of the city nor the peace and natural beauty of the countryside. I just don't understand the appeal.

But trains and buses...suck. And you have to base your travel around their schedule. That blows.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon May 02, 2016 12:38 am

I live in the "suburbs" but for all intents and purposes, it's semi-rural. It has a nice balance between nature and urbanity. However, I'd probably go "neither" and live like a hermit in a cabin in the middle of nowhere.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

The Federation of Kendor
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federation of Kendor » Mon May 02, 2016 12:52 am

I live in Surabaya and im an Indonesian but i don't live in central Surabaya where the downtown is located but i lived in the western part of Surabaya.I liked cities but i think suburb has some good qualities too
My Dispatch
North Korean Russia wrote:"I am God! You are powerless against me! I am so awesome that when I play basketball I always get four points per shot!" -Kim Jong-Putin.

Independant Nations and Guilds wrote:Their founder turned into an eagle and flew into the sun before being burned to death. This is what their flag really means, and any other attempt at explanation of its meaning is ignored in favor of this explanation.

If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
RP links: TBA

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon May 02, 2016 12:53 am

Trollgaard wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:Downtown or country. No suburbs.

But trains and buses...suck. And you have to base your travel around their schedule. That blows.

They run every few minutes. It's not like you have to actually know the schedule or plan ahead.

Buses and trains suck when you live in the suburbs where they don't run as often. In the city they're fine.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Frank Zipper
Senator

Founded: Nov 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Frank Zipper » Mon May 02, 2016 12:59 am

When you're alone and life is making you lonely you can always go downtown.
Put this in your signature if you are easily led.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General