NATION

PASSWORD

Libertarian Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What should be the next title of the Libertarian Discussion Thread?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Atlas Hugged
14%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Would You Kindly?
25%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Recreational Nukes
46%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: A Man Chooses, A Slave Obeys
14%
Other option (say in thread)
No votes

Total votes : 28

Mattopilos
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mattopilos » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:34 am

Darjihad wrote:
Mattopilos wrote:
I don't actually get what that first line means at all. Let's also mention I am not a fan of many of Marx's Ideas: he was kind of an arse and resorted to attacks on other philosophers like Stirner - not debate, just attack. That, and the transitional state he claims to use is not a good idea (obviously from how certain dictatorships have started, bastardizing communism's theorized ideals into some giant slave camp).

Wow. Not only are Marx's disciples not commies in your view, even ol' K-Marx himself wasn't a commie? Fuck the airbrush, you brought a paintroller to edit the Archives LOL.

What are you, a Raelian? I've never met someone not from reality before.

I never said he wasn't a communist. Stop making claims for things I never said. I said my view don't align with his, that is all.
"From each according to their ability, to each according to their needs"
Dialectic egoist/Communist Egoist, Post-left anarchist, moral nihilist, Intersectional Anarcha-feminist.
my political compass:Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23

Pros:Anarchy, Communism (not that of Stalin or Mao), abortion rights, LGBTI rights, secularism i.e. SOCAS, Agnostic atheism, free speech (within reason), science, most dark humor, dialectic egoism, anarcha-feminism.
Cons: Capitalism, Free market, Gnostic atheism and theism, the far right, intolerance of any kind, dictatorships, pseudoscience and snake-oil peddling, imperialism and overuse of military, liberalism, radical and liberal feminism

Korouse
Minister

Founded: Mar 10, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Korouse » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:39 am

Darjihad wrote:
Korouse wrote:>implying that all communists support the ussr

Stick to IT bud, not politics

Come on. Even China and VietNam bought into that Lysenkoist shit. BECAUSE it was "ideologically compatible with Communism."

That leaves you with telling a lot of communists throughout the last 100 years that you're the True Scotsman Commie and they made you look bad.

How can I resist mocking you?

I don't even advocate for Stalinist policies or full communism. Your reply was completely irrelevant to the comment I made, too.

"That leaves you with telling a lot of communists throughout the last 100 years that you're the True Scotsman Commie and they made you look bad."

I'm not getting something here. Are you knowingly lumping authoritarian ideologies in with anarchist ones to criticize anarchists? Or are you just a bit slow?
"Everything is illusory except power,' the revolutionary people reply." - Vladimir Lenin

Darjihad
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Darjihad » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:14 am

Mattopilos wrote:
Darjihad wrote:
Wow. Not only are Marx's disciples not commies in your view, even ol' K-Marx himself wasn't a commie? Fuck the airbrush, you brought a paintroller to edit the Archives LOL.

What are you, a Raelian? I've never met someone not from reality before.

I never said he wasn't a communist. Stop making claims for things I never said. I said my view don't align with his, that is all.

You also claimed his followers in Russia and China didn't align with his views. Your sig also contains a quote from Louis Blanc that Marx plagiarized / popularized.

Again, poor commies. No one can follow their detailed instructions. LOL
Feel the Harding, Feel the Coolidge, Feel the Johnson
"If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final. No advance, no progress can be made beyond these propositions. If anyone wishes to deny their truth or their soundness, the only direction in which he can proceed historically is not forward, but backward toward the time when there was no equality, no rights of the individual, no rule of the people. Those who wish to proceed in that direction can not lay claim to progress. They are reactionary. Their ideas are not more modern, but more ancient, than those of the Revolutionary fathers." - Calvin Coolidge, July 4,1926

Darjihad
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Darjihad » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:17 am

Korouse wrote:
Darjihad wrote:
Come on. Even China and VietNam bought into that Lysenkoist shit. BECAUSE it was "ideologically compatible with Communism."

That leaves you with telling a lot of communists throughout the last 100 years that you're the True Scotsman Commie and they made you look bad.

How can I resist mocking you?

I don't even advocate for Stalinist policies or full communism. Your reply was completely irrelevant to the comment I made, too.

"That leaves you with telling a lot of communists throughout the last 100 years that you're the True Scotsman Commie and they made you look bad."

I'm not getting something here. Are you knowingly lumping authoritarian ideologies in with anarchist ones to criticize anarchists? Or are you just a bit slow?

I would never get a rise out of anarchists by criticizing Marxist-Stalinists. I'm not that clever. ;)
"If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final. No advance, no progress can be made beyond these propositions. If anyone wishes to deny their truth or their soundness, the only direction in which he can proceed historically is not forward, but backward toward the time when there was no equality, no rights of the individual, no rule of the people. Those who wish to proceed in that direction can not lay claim to progress. They are reactionary. Their ideas are not more modern, but more ancient, than those of the Revolutionary fathers." - Calvin Coolidge, July 4,1926

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:09 am

mfw you realize that the plot of breaking bad would be made irrelevant if Gary Johnson decriminalized drugs during his term as governor

Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Irona
Minister

Founded: Dec 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Irona » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:12 am

Darjihad wrote:
Korouse wrote:I don't even advocate for Stalinist policies or full communism. Your reply was completely irrelevant to the comment I made, too.

I would never get a rise out of anarchists by criticizing Marxist-Stalinists. I'm not that clever. ;)

So your just trolling him?

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:27 am

Majority Unionism, Compulsory Unionism, and Compulsory Voting Hurt Workers

Explains well I think why mandatory unionization in industry aren't actually voluntary arrangements. But it also sheds light on the role of unions in a free society. Thoughts?
Last edited by The Liberated Territories on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Darjihad
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Darjihad » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:28 am

Irona wrote:
Darjihad wrote:

So your just trolling him?

Nah. I'm sure his ideas are so good they have to be enforced at gunpoint.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:30 am

Darjihad wrote:
Irona wrote:So your just trolling him?

Nah. I'm sure his ideas are so good they have to be enforced at gunpoint.

Charity At Gunpoint is what the leftist phenomenon should be named.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Darjihad
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Darjihad » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:34 am

The Liberated Territories wrote:Majority Unionism, Compulsory Unionism, and Compulsory Voting Hurt Workers

Explains well I think why mandatory unionization in industry aren't actually voluntary arrangements. But it also sheds light on the role of unions in a free society. Thoughts?

Anti-terrorism laws should be used to destroy unions.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:40 am

Darjihad wrote:
The Liberated Territories wrote:Majority Unionism, Compulsory Unionism, and Compulsory Voting Hurt Workers

Oh no, has the alt-right got you too?

Yes, I am back(ish)

Darjihad
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Darjihad » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:59 am

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Darjihad wrote:

Worse. Working as a "scab" temporary laborer in a factory during a strike, my tires were slashed, my car windows - all of them - were smashed out, and I was physically assaulted by beer bottles and baseball bats.

I don't have any use for unions. The AFL-CIO is a domestic terrorist organization and should be regarded as such by law enforcement.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:06 pm

Mattopilos wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
Do you have any evidence that's more statistically grounded than mine? You haven't provided it.

http://www.epi.org/publication/top-ceos ... 1-percent/
http://www.epi.org/publication/ceo-pay- ... ince-1978/
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -hot-topic

Executives and CEOs get WAY more than workers, and their pay is rising faster than the average worker.

I'm arguing about whether they work less, not whether they have higher pay.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Irona
Minister

Founded: Dec 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Irona » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:48 pm

Darjihad wrote:

Worse. Working as a "scab" temporary laborer in a factory during a strike, my tires were slashed, my car windows - all of them - were smashed out, and I was physically assaulted by beer bottles and baseball bats.

I don't have any use for unions. The AFL-CIO is a domestic terrorist organization and should be regarded as such by law enforcement.

And you couldn't go to the police because?

Anyway don't you work in IT?
Last edited by Irona on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Korouse
Minister

Founded: Mar 10, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Korouse » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:08 pm

Irona wrote:
Darjihad wrote:

And you couldn't go to the police because?

He couldn't go to the police probably because the story is made up.

If it's true though, sucks for him. I don't feel bad though. It's what he gets for going into a hornet's nest and trying to fuck people over.
"Everything is illusory except power,' the revolutionary people reply." - Vladimir Lenin

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:12 pm

The problem is viewing money as a pie.

There is no pie.

If my neighbor were to win the lottery, this has no measurable affect on my life. Good for him, I suppose, but this doesn't harm me in the least.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/objectivist ... 0c6fac7c1c

Instead, we should talk about why wages are stagnating while the cost of living goes up.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Korouse wrote:
Irona wrote:And you couldn't go to the police because?

If it's true though, sucks for him. I don't feel bad though. It's what he gets for going into a hornet's nest and trying to fuck people over.

Nobody deserves to have their property damaged like that. Not even people like you, loathe as I am to admit it.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Community Values
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Community Values » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:41 pm

If a company wants a Union, good for them. Of course, I don't see this happening very often, as from what I've seen Unions have gone from "advocating workers rights" to "be in our union or ill cut u"

The more I think about unions though, the more I see them as... Not what people want me to see them as.
"Corrupted by wealth and power, your government is like a restaurant with only one dish. They've got a set of Republican waiters on one side and a set of Democratic waiters on the other side. But no matter which set of waiters brings you the dish, the legislative grub is all prepared in the same Wall Street kitchen."
-Huey Long

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:29 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:mfw you realize that the plot of breaking bad would be made irrelevant if Gary Johnson decriminalized drugs during his term as governor

(Image)

New Mexico is a hellhole, ergo, the perfect spot for Breaking Bad. No offense to Mr. Johnson, he was a phenomenal governor, but the state he governed really is a hellhole.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:31 pm

Korouse wrote:
Irona wrote:And you couldn't go to the police because?

Why would he deserve to be assaulted? :eyebrow:

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:47 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
The Liberated Territories wrote:mfw you realize that the plot of breaking bad would be made irrelevant if Gary Johnson decriminalized drugs during his term as governor

(Image)

New Mexico is a hellhole, ergo, the perfect spot for Breaking Bad. No offense to Mr. Johnson, he was a phenomenal governor, but the state he governed really is a hellhole.

Dang Libling, where you been? You just disappeared a while ago and just came back.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:52 pm

Major-Tom wrote:

Dang Libling, where you been? You just disappeared a while ago and just came back.

School is time consuming.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:59 pm

Major-Tom wrote:

In the summer? Do you take summer school/classes?

Yes, I am back(ish)

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Major-Tom wrote:

School started for me on August 10th. All of Arizona is like that, school ends in late May, begins in early August.

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:01 pm

Major-Tom wrote:

School started for me on August 10th. All of Arizona is like that, school ends in late May, begins in early August.

Well that's awful.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General