NATION

PASSWORD

[US Election 2016] Democratic Primary Megathread III

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ngelmish
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ngelmish » Sun May 01, 2016 4:52 pm

Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:
Ngelmish wrote:
I fully expect that he'll cooperate and endorse Clinton in unequivocal language, but I doubt that anyone will be describing it as a graceful moment. Sanders has been many things in his political career, but he's never been particularly graceful.

It'll probably be something along the lines of "Clinton can beat the Republicans, vote for her."

I'm looking at it in terms of his 2012 endorsement of Obama, which was incredibly tepid. Complicating things this time around is the fact that he and Clinton have actually run against each other, Sanders is perfectly sincere when he complains about being treated unfairly by the party and the media, and he and Clinton, regardless of their professionalism, clearly have a real level of personal distaste for each other.

In comparison, there's not much evidence that Sanders ever actually disliked Obama. So I don't expect Sanders to come up with much beyond, "Well of course she's better than the Republicans," in a gloomy, aggrieved tone of voice.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun May 01, 2016 5:00 pm

Ngelmish wrote:
Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:It'll probably be something along the lines of "Clinton can beat the Republicans, vote for her."

I'm looking at it in terms of his 2012 endorsement of Obama, which was incredibly tepid. Complicating things this time around is the fact that he and Clinton have actually run against each other, Sanders is perfectly sincere when he complains about being treated unfairly by the party and the media, and he and Clinton, regardless of their professionalism, clearly have a real level of personal distaste for each other.

In comparison, there's not much evidence that Sanders ever actually disliked Obama. So I don't expect Sanders to come up with much beyond, "Well of course she's better than the Republicans," in a gloomy, aggrieved tone of voice.

Yep, that sounds about right. I can picture it now...

I think Sanders had some grudging respect for Obama, but he just seems annoyed with Hillary.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun May 01, 2016 5:39 pm

Ngelmish wrote:
Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:It'll probably be something along the lines of "Clinton can beat the Republicans, vote for her."

Unfortunately, that's probably what will happen. Democrats clearly need to unite here to stop the utterly distasteful candidates from the GOP despite some differences.
Last edited by Geilinor on Sun May 01, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun May 01, 2016 5:41 pm

Conservative Republic Of Huang wrote:
Corrian wrote:THE FLAME HAS BEEN EXTINGUISHED

Rather the flicker. The media always overstated Sanders chances. Clinton overshot her 538 target in Iowa by 5 delegates. In NH, both candidates hit their targets right on the dot. Then SC and NV came, and turned Sanders into a candle in a dome with a green leaf.

:rofl:

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun May 01, 2016 6:17 pm

Bernie is in denial. He still thinks there will be a mass shift of superdelegates to him and there will be a contested convention. How?
http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-dem-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/05/bernie-sanders-contested-convention-222685
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun May 01, 2016 6:19 pm

Geilinor wrote:Bernie is in denial. He still thinks there will be a mass shift of superdelegates to him and there will be a contested convention. How?
http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-dem-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/05/bernie-sanders-contested-convention-222685

A man can dream, can't he? :p
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun May 01, 2016 6:19 pm

Geilinor wrote:Bernie is in denial. He still thinks there will be a mass shift of superdelegates to him and there will be a contested convention. How?

I'll have what he's having.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun May 01, 2016 7:15 pm

What a damn shame, man. It really saddens me that he most likely won't be able to pull off a victory.

Now there is no other candidate that is appealing to me in this election.

Ngelmish
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2009

Postby Ngelmish » Sun May 01, 2016 7:20 pm

Well he has to say something, and he wants to keep running as long as possible to try to exercise maximum leverage. And given the fact that his fundraising has started to drop, whatever he says has got to be good enough to keep his supporters along for the end of the voting.

I'd be happier if he simply called it day, but then I suspect I'd be even happier than that if he hadn't decided to run in the first place. At this point it's his decision, how he wants to come over before coming up short.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sun May 01, 2016 10:05 pm

It is still possible for Bernie to win. Unlikely, of course, but possible.

But I'll say what I've said before- if he's behind in pledged delegates come the convention, he should bow out, because realistically, most of the super delegates will stick loyally with Clinton unless given a very compelling reason not to.

This is presuming no indictment of Clinton or similar to push her out, of course.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Sun May 01, 2016 10:41 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

What a damn shame, man. It really saddens me that he most likely won't be able to pull off a victory.

Now there is no other candidate that is appealing to me in this election.

Maybe Rocky Anderson? He might be running again.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Sun May 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Ngelmish wrote:

That's what I'll be doing.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun May 01, 2016 11:12 pm

Jesus, there was an anti-capitalism protest in Seattle today that seems to have escalated into violence, though I don't know if it was the protesters or our stupid militarized police escalating things like they seem to do.

Edit: I love how Seattle has the Police Bike Brigade (My name for it). It's kinda hilarious how they all use bikes.
Last edited by Corrian on Sun May 01, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Guy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2011

Postby Guy » Mon May 02, 2016 12:22 am

The difference between now and 2012 is that Sanders actually carries influence now. He'll feel the responsibility to utilise that influence. I think, and hope, that there'll be a strong endorsement and campaigning for her.

And yeah, media always overstated Sanders' chances, although quarters of the media then went on to say how awful Sanders would be (i.e. the bias against him that many claim). Whereas I actually think Sanders would've been a pretty good President, but he's never been in with a chance this whole contest.
Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon May 02, 2016 12:43 am

Guy wrote:The difference between now and 2012 is that Sanders actually carries influence now. He'll feel the responsibility to utilise that influence. I think, and hope, that there'll be a strong endorsement and campaigning for her.

And yeah, media always overstated Sanders' chances, although quarters of the media then went on to say how awful Sanders would be (i.e. the bias against him that many claim). Whereas I actually think Sanders would've been a pretty good President, but he's never been in with a chance this whole contest.

There is no denying though that he has done remarkably well against the most inevitable candidate while flaunting policies that weren't hugely popular in the US. It spells good for a candidate like Sanders in the future.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

The Federation of Kendor
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federation of Kendor » Mon May 02, 2016 12:50 am

I selected Hilary Clinton
My Dispatch
North Korean Russia wrote:"I am God! You are powerless against me! I am so awesome that when I play basketball I always get four points per shot!" -Kim Jong-Putin.

Independant Nations and Guilds wrote:Their founder turned into an eagle and flew into the sun before being burned to death. This is what their flag really means, and any other attempt at explanation of its meaning is ignored in favor of this explanation.

If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
RP links: TBA

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Mon May 02, 2016 12:52 am

Guy wrote:The difference between now and 2012 is that Sanders actually carries influence now. He'll feel the responsibility to utilise that influence. I think, and hope, that there'll be a strong endorsement and campaigning for her.

Is this a joke?
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Mon May 02, 2016 12:55 am

Atlanticatia wrote:

Is this a joke?

I think it's just a guy with a different perspective from yours (or mine).

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Mon May 02, 2016 12:58 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Atlanticatia wrote:
Is this a joke?

I think it's just a guy with a different perspective from yours (or mine).

It's objectively false though. Until pretty recently, the vast majority of pundits dismissed Bernie as someone who was only in the race to push Hillary to the left and add some competition, with no chance of winning. It's literally incorrect that the media always suggested Sanders could win the nomination. He wasn't seen as a serious competitor by most in the media until around February, probably. And even then, a lot of the media continued to dismiss him (and still do).
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon May 02, 2016 1:02 am

Well

Bernie Sanders predicted Sunday that Hillary Clinton would not win enough pledged delegates to claim the nomination ahead of the Democratic convention in Philadelphia,

... is probably true. She'd need 72% of the remaining pledged delegates to get a majority (of total delegates not just pledged) and since she probably won't get that, her nomination will rely on some of the superdelegates. If that's Sander's definition of a "contested" convention then OK ...

Maybe superdelegates in states he won should switch, to be good sports, but it wouldn't even make much difference. I count 88 of them (endorsed Clinton in states Sanders won) which is less than a fifth of the superdelagates she has on her side. Furthermore, there's 16 supers endorsing Sanders in states Clinton won, so to be fair they should switch the other way!

Not all the unpledged delegates have expressed a preference. Applying Bernie's new rule, if every unpledged delegate went to the candidate winning the popular vote in their state, Clinton would have 374 and Sanders would have 147. Still actually worse than his standing with pledged delegates, and a gap he couldn't make up even if he won every remaining state and territory.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Mon May 02, 2016 2:12 am

The balkens wrote:
Trumpostan wrote:
Apparently, Hitler told them he'd make Germany great again by throwing out all the discredited mainstream politicians and liberally tearing up the Versailles treaty and other international agreements that he said were not beneficial to Germany. And of course there was the whole demonizing of (a) certain ethno/religious group(s).

But no, Trump is not Hitler and never would be.

not exactly point i was making.

People dont see trump as a savior, more or less they want an alternative to a system which they felt as failed and they see trump as that.

Hitler was a skilled and fantastic speaker, trump is a uncoordinated buffoon that says words and people like the words he speaks.

He's a doubleplusgood duckspeaker.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Guy
Ambassador

Postby Guy » Mon May 02, 2016 3:42 am

Corrian wrote:

There is no denying though that he has done remarkably well against the most inevitable candidate while flaunting policies that weren't hugely popular in the US. It spells good for a candidate like Sanders in the future.

Agreed. My issue with Sanders is that I had concerns about him in the General due to just how left he was. A candidate combining Sanders' (perceived or otherwise) integrity with policies a touch to the centre of Bernie could be a formidable candidate, especially if they're strong enough they can do it without resorting to outsiderism, because that actually turns off some critical voters.
Last edited by Guy on Mon May 02, 2016 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon May 02, 2016 5:20 am

Guess that's why Bernie cut staffers. His fundraising in April was disappointing.

In other news Bernie insists it's going to be a contested convention. Which means he apparently think he's going to win the rest of the contests by huge margins. Bernie needs 1016 delegates to win, Hillary needs 218. Considering she's currently leading in Indiana, California, and New Jersey I have to wonder why he thinks that's true.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon May 02, 2016 5:58 am

Khadgar wrote:Guess that's why Bernie cut staffers. His fundraising in April was disappointing.

In other news Bernie insists it's going to be a contested convention. Which means he apparently think he's going to win the rest of the contests by huge margins. Bernie needs 1016 delegates to win, Hillary needs 218. Considering she's currently leading in Indiana, California, and New Jersey I have to wonder why he thinks that's true.

Counting super delegates in Hillary's total, I see.

www.vox.com/a/presidential-primary-delegate-tracker

Despite the fact that they can switch sides and even the DNC has said that they shouldn't be counted in a candidate's delegate total.

Counting super delegates in Clinton's total at this point, without explaining that context, is dishonest (or proof of severe ignorance about the process). It serves to inflate Clinton's numbers, bolster the "inevitability" narrative, and make Bernie look like a fool for continuing to campaign.

Now, my feelings on a contested convention are pretty clear- I don't want it to happen. It would help the Republicans. I could justify Bernie trying to win over the super delegates after taking the lead in the popular vote/pledged delegates, but otherwise it would be pointless and he'd be being hypocritical and making a fool of himself.

In other words- by all means keep running until the convention, Bernie, but if you're still behind (not counting super delegates) at the convention, do the honourable thing and concede gracefully for the good of the people.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Guy
Ambassador

Postby Guy » Mon May 02, 2016 6:06 am

Counting superdelegates is actually not entirely without merit at this point. You're again attacking for no reason.

Bernie is trying to court superdelegates. In the 99% scenario that he loses the pledged delegates, he needs to start convincing supers. Given that so may supers clearly prefer Hillary, counting them is clearly relevant to adjudicating how much work Bernie needs to do -- given that he's trying to convince these folks.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General