NATION

PASSWORD

2017 Canadian Politics Megathread - Sesquicentennial Edition

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

If a federal election were held today, what party would you vote for?

Liberal
30%
Conservative
29%
NDP
22%
Bloc Québécois
6%
Green
7%
Other
3%
None of the above
3%

Total votes : 364

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:18 pm

Camicon wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Michael Chong is still my guy. Though he'll probably lose. Regardless of whomever is the leader in 2020 will probably lose.

If the Liberal fuck up, and the Tories put in a good showing, the left-wing vote could be split like it was when Harper was in office.

We'll hopefully have a decent voting system by that point.

Oneracon
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:08 am

Camicon wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Michael Chong is still my guy. Though he'll probably lose. Regardless of whomever is the leader in 2020 will probably lose.

If the Liberal fuck up, and the Tories put in a good showing, the left-wing vote could be split like it was when Harper was in office.

*crosses fingers, toes, various other parts of anatomy for new voting system in 2019*
Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Your resident Canadian neutral good socdem graduate student.

*Here, queer, and not a prop for your right-wing nonsense.*

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:20 am

People forget that a sizeable chunk of the Liberal vote consists of centre-right supporters that are less economically neoliberal, if at all (basically Red Tories) and a new electoral system could easily see them gain a significant presence in federal politics, if not outright forming a government at some point.

Oneracon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:45 pm

Napkiraly wrote:People forget that a sizeable chunk of the Liberal vote consists of centre-right supporters that are less economically neoliberal, if at all (basically Red Tories) and a new electoral system could easily see them gain a significant presence in federal politics, if not outright forming a government at some point.

I would love to see a nice realignment of the political system if we get a system like MMP, transform the big tent parties into coalitions made up of distinct parties.
Compass
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:56 pm

Oneracon wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:People forget that a sizeable chunk of the Liberal vote consists of centre-right supporters that are less economically neoliberal, if at all (basically Red Tories) and a new electoral system could easily see them gain a significant presence in federal politics, if not outright forming a government at some point.

I would love to see a nice realignment of the political system if we get a system like MMP, transform the big tent parties into coalitions made up of distinct parties.

I mean, it certainly has its cons. For example, a number of SPD activists I've met loathe how they have to be quite moderate to even get what they're getting now and to continuously be in a coalition with the CDU. Then again, everyone thinks we will have MMP. We could very well have a parallel voting system, similar to that which exists in South Korea for example or a majority bonus system.

Oneracon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Oneracon wrote:I would love to see a nice realignment of the political system if we get a system like MMP, transform the big tent parties into coalitions made up of distinct parties.

I mean, it certainly has its cons. For example, a number of SPD activists I've met loathe how they have to be quite moderate to even get what they're getting now and to continuously be in a coalition with the CDU. Then again, everyone thinks we will have MMP. We could very well have a parallel voting system, similar to that which exists in South Korea for example or a majority bonus system.

Well the way the committee is going it seems that if they're going for some degree of proportionality, so they're probably going to go for some flavour of MMP or STV.

Also fwiw SPD doesn't have to stay in coalition with CDU... the leadership simply chose to. After the 2013 election the SPD could have formed a coalition with Die Linke and the Greens.
Last edited by Oneracon on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Compass
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:36 pm

Oneracon wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:I mean, it certainly has its cons. For example, a number of SPD activists I've met loathe how they have to be quite moderate to even get what they're getting now and to continuously be in a coalition with the CDU. Then again, everyone thinks we will have MMP. We could very well have a parallel voting system, similar to that which exists in South Korea for example or a majority bonus system.

Well the way the committee is going it seems that if they're going for some degree of proportionality, so they're probably going to go for some flavour of MMP or STV.

Also fwiw SPD doesn't have to stay in coalition with CDU... the leadership simply chose to. After the 2013 election the SPD could have formed a coalition with Die Linke and the Greens.

Would Die Linke be okay with that? When the SPD was in government the last time, it was only the SPD and the Greens.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:38 pm

Oneracon wrote:
Camicon wrote:If the Liberal fuck up, and the Tories put in a good showing, the left-wing vote could be split like it was when Harper was in office.

*crosses fingers, toes, various other parts of anatomy for new voting system in 2019*

ditto
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:18 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Oneracon wrote:Well the way the committee is going it seems that if they're going for some degree of proportionality, so they're probably going to go for some flavour of MMP or STV.

Would Die Linke be okay with that? When the SPD was in government the last time, it was only the SPD and the Greens.

Think other way around. SPD doesnt like the lefties and will do whatever they can to keep them out of government.

Yorkers
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yorkers » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:41 pm

If Trump becomes president, I imagine Trudeau is going to extreme lengths to portray himself as a Canadian anti-Trump.

Imagine the Canadian anti-Americanism from the Bush era, but on steroids.
"Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country to one united people, a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs."
-John Jay, 1787

Dancing in the moonlight.
I wish that every kiss was never-ending.

An alternate history epic.

sa-wish!

Yorkers is a wealthy WASP playground inspired by L.L. Bean and Vineyard Vines catalogs and 19th Century Anglo-American nativism.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:45 pm

Yorkers wrote:If Trump becomes president, I imagine Trudeau is going to extreme lengths to portray himself as a Canadian anti-Trump.

If Trump becomes president, every single bit of shade that Trudeau throws at him will be well-deserved and entirely warranted.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Oneracon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:47 am

Yorkers wrote:If Trump becomes president, I imagine Trudeau is going to extreme lengths to portray himself as a Canadian anti-Trump.

If anything, Trudeau should take a page from Trump's playbook and build a wall along our southern border. /jk

But seriously, like Camicon said, any anti-Americanism that is rooted in a Trump presidency will be entirely deserved.
Compass
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:23 am

Merizoc wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Would Die Linke be okay with that? When the SPD was in government the last time, it was only the SPD and the Greens.

Think other way around. SPD doesnt like the lefties and will do whatever they can to keep them out of government.

Right, it's all the SPD's fault. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/27/angela-merkel-grand-coalition-germany
A coalition between the SPD, the Greens and Die Linke would achieve an overall majority over Merkel's party and its Bavarian sister-party, the CSU, but any coalition with Die Linke is still considered a taboo because of some of its politicians' links to the old communist GDR regime.

Die Linke has links and openly maintains sympathy for the East German dictatorship.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:31 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Think other way around. SPD doesnt like the lefties and will do whatever they can to keep them out of government.

Right, it's all the SPD's fault. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/27/angela-merkel-grand-coalition-germany
A coalition between the SPD, the Greens and Die Linke would achieve an overall majority over Merkel's party and its Bavarian sister-party, the CSU, but any coalition with Die Linke is still considered a taboo because of some of its politicians' links to the old communist GDR regime.

Die Linke has links and openly maintains sympathy for the East German dictatorship.

Thanks for confirming what I said?

Wolfmanne2
Senator

Founded: Sep 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne2 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:35 pm

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/02/tr ... ogressives

Total agreement here. Trudeau was a total con but seeing that the NDP are going through their Leap Manifesto rubbish and are probably going to elect a stopgap between Mulcair and whoever brings the NDP back seat-winning status, guess Canadian left-leaners are stuck with him.
ESFP
United in Labour! Jezbollah and Saint Tony together!

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:Yeah precipitating on everyone doesn't go down well usually. You seem patient enough to chat to us, i'm willing to count that as nice.

Oneracon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:27 pm

Wolfmanne2 wrote:http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/02/trudeau-is-betraying-progressives?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=recommend-button&utm_campaign=Trudeau+is+betraying+progressives

Total agreement here. Trudeau was a total con but seeing that the NDP are going through their Leap Manifesto rubbish and are probably going to elect a stopgap between Mulcair and whoever brings the NDP back seat-winning status, guess Canadian left-leaners are stuck with him.

I called it that he would pull a Kathleen Wynne.

Also... never thought I'd agree with something published by that burning dumpster fire that is Postmedia.
Last edited by Oneracon on Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Compass
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:37 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/citizenship-revocation-trudeau-harper-1.3795733
"Trudeau government revoking citizenship at much higher rate than Conservatives"

Yet again we see the Liberals blatant hypocrisy, criticizing the government for something while in opposition, and then doing the same thing while in government. Shameful.

White Chrobatia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby White Chrobatia » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:14 am

Merizoc wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/citizenship-revocation-trudeau-harper-1.3795733
"Trudeau government revoking citizenship at much higher rate than Conservatives"

Yet again we see the Liberals blatant hypocrisy, criticizing the government for something while in opposition, and then doing the same thing while in government. Shameful.

If you're not being sarcastic, why are you surprised? It's Canadian politics, where both the Conservatives and the Liberals jockey for power and are willing to say literally anything to win.
Bijelihrvatska
Warning: If posting past 7pm, there's probably alcohol in my system

Since these seem popular here...
    - Biological Female
    - University student
    - Miao(Hmong) and Croatian
    - Nominally Catholic, though effectively irreligious Now a practicing Buddhist!
    - I thought I was a libertarian, but my average after three compass tests was +5.38 Econ, +0.82 Social. Hi.
    - Sexually confused
Curious about anything, just ask.
The Rainbow Kingdom wrote:
White Chrobatia wrote:Are we humans?

Or are we dancers?

I thought we were French :p

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:18 am

Oneracon wrote:

If anything, Trudeau should take a page from Trump's playbook and build a wall along our southern border. /jk

But seriously, like Camicon said, any anti-Americanism that is rooted in a Trump presidency will be entirely deserved.

I disagree very strongly.

Anti-Americanism refers to condemning and hating the entire country, and/or Americans collectively. That is wrong.

If, God forbid, Trump won, he would win with about half, possibly a good deal less when you factor in minor candidates, of voters. That not only leaves out all the people who didn't vote or squandered their votes on third party/independent candidates who couldn't defeat him (who would also deserve some, though less, blame), but all those who voted for Clinton, and all those who couldn't vote (minors, felons, non-citizen residents, etc.).

I will never condone collective guilt. Hating a nation and its people for the actions of some of its citizens is bigotry, plain and simple. Its rather Trumpian, actually.

Of course, those who are looking for someone to hate, or an excuse to hate, can always find a reason. Anti-Americanism was bleated loudly by millions long before Trump ran for President.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:18 am

White Chrobatia wrote:
Merizoc wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/citizenship-revocation-trudeau-harper-1.3795733

If you're not being sarcastic, why are you surprised? It's Canadian politics, where both the Conservatives and the Liberals jockey for power and are willing to say literally anything to win.

I'm not surprised, just disappointed, doubly so because of the fact that Trudeaumania is still gripping the nation and any criticism of him will end up ignored.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tony-clement-dropping-out-1.3801305
Tony Clement drops out of conservative leadership race.

Oneracon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:13 pm

Merizoc wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tony-clement-dropping-out-1.3801305
Tony Clement drops out of conservative leadership race.

And Dr. Snitch Line Leitch is officially in too.

Coincidentally, she was the topic of last week's "Who Gets to Clean Up the Mess Stephen Harper Made?" segment on 22 Minutes > http://www.cbc.ca/22minutes/videos/clip ... lie-leitch

(EDIT: Happy Merizoc? :p )
Last edited by Oneracon on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Compass
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:21 pm

So much for commitment to electoral reform it seems...
Last edited by MERIZoC on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:11 am

Merizoc wrote:So much for commitment to electoral reform it seems...

Trudeau knows he would never get a majority and would always have to form a coalition government. The Liberals got less of the popular vote than Harper did when he won his majority.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:45 am

Napkiraly wrote:
Merizoc wrote:So much for commitment to electoral reform it seems...

Trudeau knows he would never get a majority and would always have to form a coalition government. The Liberals got less of the popular vote than Harper did when he won his majority.

Indeed. If the scummy dickbaggery wasn't evident enough from the liberals, here you all are.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General