NATION

PASSWORD

Powerball reaches $1.3 billion Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Godular wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:I'd pay off all my debts, buy a huge piece of land, a shit-ton of gun and ammo, plus a few other toys and never work again. Even living off principle.

I'd keep working if only to keep myself busy. The school district would sure as fuck be able to afford teaching kids RIGHT tho...

Would you stay at your current place of employment, or would you start doing EXACTLY what you want to do (assuming you don't already)?
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Jersey Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Jersey Republic » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:35 pm

Proof that time travel doesn't exist
i don't really RP on forums, no need for political stances either

Just here to have fun

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:37 pm

Jersey Republic wrote:Proof that time travel doesn't exist

Or it does exist and the Time Traveler is biding his time.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:39 pm

I found this a very interesting read I just won the Lottery, what now

The Great state of Atlantis
Envoy

Founded: Jul 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great state of Atlantis » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:40 pm

One word: disappear.

A longer explanation? My wife and I would buy a small house, somewhere in the middle of nowhere on the Thai countryside, where nobody would know who I am and what I used to do. We would grow our vegetables, our fruit and my wife would grow her flowers. My kids would get their motorbikes to go to school and if we would have any surplus, we'd either sell it somewhere or just give it to the neighbours or our families. Other than that: nothing. The sun would rise and the sun would set and that would be all there would be to it. No internet anymore, not nothing. Completely off the grid.

Edit: I'd continue to make my own wine from fermented Pineapples, Coconuts, Dragonfruits and all the rest of the exotic and delicious types the country has to offer.
Last edited by The Great state of Atlantis on Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:42 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Godular wrote:
I'd keep working if only to keep myself busy. The school district would sure as fuck be able to afford teaching kids RIGHT tho...

Would you stay at your current place of employment, or would you start doing EXACTLY what you want to do (assuming you don't already)?

Both, actually. I teach for a living, write for fun... though at the moment the teaching thing is preventing me from doing the writing thing if only because they keep wanting us to make increasingly detailed lesson plans and I'm more the kind of guy who knows what he's aiming to get done going in, keeps tabs of how the students are doing, and makes changes as such things are needed. I can keep a lot of shit in my head, but trying to parse story background and lesson information gives me a headache somethin' awful.

I'd totally hire somebody to write my lesson plans... maybe for the whole department. Get better lab equipment and resources, yadda yadda, and teach pretty much the way I do now.

Much better funded clubs too.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:45 pm

Godular wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:I'd pay off all my debts, buy a huge piece of land, a shit-ton of gun and ammo, plus a few other toys and never work again. Even living off principle.

I would work and keep myself busy: work at hitting targets out to 3000+ meters. :p
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:47 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Godular wrote:

I would work and keep myself busy: work at hitting targets out to 3000+ meters. :p

Shit dude, with that money you could turn the entire area into a live-fire exercise zone with mobile targets and everything.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Godular wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Shit dude, with that money you could turn the entire area into a live-fire exercise zone with mobile targets and everything.

Why do you think I want a huge piece of land? I ain't no farmer. 8)
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:53 pm

Pour all the money into investing a proper military for myself and invade some nation or another and begin global conquest.
Last edited by Valrifell on Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:55 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Godular wrote:

Why do you think I want a huge piece of land? I ain't no farmer. 8)

I'd still live in my trailer. I'd have one hella kick-ass computer though. Something that might be able to play Crysis on max settings without a hiccup!

Might need a bigger trailer for that, come to think of it.
New to F7? Click here!

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:56 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Galloism wrote:Your accountant would most likely tell you that taking the annuity is smarter.

I'm curious if high inflation would affect their recommendation.

Yeah it probably would. They could always run a Net Present Value calculation, where inflation would be included in the real interest rate.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:57 pm

Wait, it's national? Good. At least if I won I wouldn't have to celebrate by staring at the IOU paper the Illinois lottery gave me for money they don't have.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:59 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:I just wouldn't want to deal the deluge of mail and sorting it by keep/throw. Guess the kids will have their work cut out for them. :p

Oh, you have kids? Problem solved. :D

Or they end up causing more problems by incorrectly sorting mail, as they get distracted by the dumbest of things. :P

Councilmembers
Envoy

Founded: Jul 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Councilmembers » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:04 pm

1.3 billion dollars is a lot of money.

I'd give one million each to family members (thereby not exceeding 50 million), stash away 200 million for future political runs for office (ensuring I would not have to be funded by lobbyists and other special interest groups in order to win), and give the rest away to charitable endevours.

Gonorf
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Gonorf » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:09 pm

I'd buy an isolated island somewhere and move my mom and my GF there.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:10 pm

I wanted to buy a ticket to try my luck, but my Nazi of a state government banned gambling. So I just have to watch from the sidelines.

If I could buy one and won, I'd buy NS. Actually, I'd just buy Max Barry and make him my sexslave.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:17 pm

Torisakia wrote:I wanted to buy a ticket to try my luck, but my Nazi of a state government banned gambling. So I just have to watch from the sidelines.

If I could buy one and won, I'd buy NS. Actually, I'd just buy Max Barry and make him my sexslave.

What state is that? Also if it isn't much of a drive there is always the drive across state lines to buy one.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:21 pm

I as a Canadian plan to win and then claim all the taxes deducted back, and converting it to Canadian dollars (not including said tax deductions), it'd be about CAN$1.8 billion.

I'd definitely have to change my name, move, and get an unlisted cell number. Hire a lawyer, and someone to handle all donation and charity requests, even from family, otherwise, bye bye sanity.

I'd invest some, spend some, and try and donate an enormous portion of it.

As much of a blessing as it'd be, it'd undoubtedly cause many problems as well.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:34 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Torisakia wrote:I wanted to buy a ticket to try my luck, but my Nazi of a state government banned gambling. So I just have to watch from the sidelines.

What state is that? Also if it isn't much of a drive there is always the drive across state lines to buy one.

Alabama. And if I could drive, I would go to another state to buy a ticket.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Val Halla
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Val Halla » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:41 pm

I would probably a lot of shoes
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
WOMAN

She/her

The Great Devourer of All
Minister

Founded: Dec 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Devourer of All » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:10 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Jersey Republic wrote:Proof that time travel doesn't exist

Or it does exist and the Time Traveler is biding his time.

Or it does exist and someone won last time, but the time traveler went back and assassinated them before they could get their ticket.

Now, they're waiting for it to hit 1.5 bil or more...
Last edited by the Devourer 9.98 billion years ago

Pro: Jellyfish

Anti: Heretics

Yymea wrote:We would definitely be scared of what is probably the most scary nation on NS :p

Multiversal Venn-Copard wrote:Actually fairly threatening by our standards. And this time we really mean "threatening". As in, "we'll actually need to escalate significantly to match their fleets."

Valkalan wrote:10/10 Profoundly evil. Some nations conqueror others for wealth and prestige, but the Devourer consumes civilization like a cancer consuming an unfortunate host.

The Speaker wrote:Intemperate in the sea from the roof, and leg All night, and he knows lots of reads from the unseen good old man of the mountain-DESTRUCTION

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:19 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Godular wrote:

I would quit as soon as the lotto check cleared my bank.
Hail Satan!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:23 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:

I would quit as soon as the lotto check cleared my bank.

And it would be SO. MUCH. FUN.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:24 pm

Man, this really makes me wish I could legally buy lottery tickets.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General