NATION

PASSWORD

Has Political Correctness Gone too Far?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:40 am

Soldati senza confini wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Yes?

Actually demonstrating how lynching very rarely solved the actual crime would be a wonderful way to ramp up the drama in a game.

There are several games that include rape as a mechanic. They don't sell very well, but they exist.

Hell there is a really obscure and censored game in which the whole point is to get to rape women you meet in a city.

It certainly isn't how I'd use it as a mechanic, but I would fight against censoring the game, for certain.

My idea for lynching is to give the player character control of someone, unarmed, trying to stop a lynching. You can't punch or kick, but as you try to swim through the crowd you get shoved back, or tripped and have to fight your way out of the press of the crowd. You yell for them to stop, but nobody can hear you over the crowd. You call for help but nobody cares.

You then have to solve the crime and find that the person who committed the crime had left town, and they just wanted to lynch the Polish man because fuck the Poles.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:41 am

Ugatoo wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:You're confusing my refusal to engage in discussion with you as refusal to engage in discussion on the topic. A rather self-centered point of view, that.

And you're a prime example of why I hate both SJWs and Anti-SJWs. If you refuse to engage in discussion with people you lose plain and simple. If you get offended because I have differing opinions than you get over yourself.

No, see, I can be the kind of asshole who doesn't care what you think because what you're saying doesn't make sense.

I don't HAVE to put up with your shit, neither does TED. I can just simply ignore you. Sure, you can have dissenting opinions, but we don't have to put up with listening to you. So maybe we're not the ones who should get over ourselves, here.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Tevehas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tevehas » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:41 am

Ugatoo wrote:If you don't care why are you here discussing it? How can you claim to support freedom of speech/expression yet refuse to have an actual discussion as to the merits and faults of that system? If you can't or won't defend your rights why should others defend them for you?

Well what faults are there in having freedom of expression?

The only real argument against having freedom of speech and expression is that 'it might hurt someone's feelings. Now don't get me wrong I'm not advocating for arson to be considered a form of expression, but studies show video games won't make people into sexists or school shooters. What's the harm in letting artists, game developers, or whoever make a product. By all means criticize it, but don't censor it like the people at the translation companies do.
Nation States stats are unbiased and infallible. Fact-books are supplementary reading material and should be treated as such.
In Memoriam to all those who gave their lives at Cascade Falls, WA, Dec. 1989
WACO WAS JUST PRACTICE

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:43 am

Ugatoo wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Uh huh. You make several suppositions in your post, all of them are wrong.

Then please defend your position, prove me wrong.

Why is fan service integral to video games?

Sales, and games can offer a critique of modern culture.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Hladgos
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hladgos » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:44 am

Maybe it's just where I live, but I haven't seen PC ever get overbearing to the point of limiting progress. The most PC thing I've experienced was the change of 'he' to them or they when writing papers.
Divair wrote:Hladcore.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're a nut. I like that.
Pro: being outside, conserving our Earth, the pursuit of happiness, universal acceptance
Anti: ignorance and intolerance
Life is suffering. Suffering is caused by craving and aversion. Suffering can be overcome and happiness can be attained. Live a moral life.

"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny." -Stephen Hawking

"The purpose of our life is to be happy." -Dali Lama

"If I had no sense of humor, I would have long ago committed suicide." -Gandhi

"Don't worry, be happy!" -Bobby McFerrin

Silly Pride

"No." -Dya

Ugatoo
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ugatoo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:45 am

Ugatoo wrote:And you're a prime example of why I hate both SJWs and Anti-SJWs. If you refuse to engage in discussion with people you lose plain and simple. If you get offended because I have differing opinions than you get over yourself.

No, see, I can be the kind of asshole who doesn't care what you think because what you're saying doesn't make sense.

I don't HAVE to put up with your shit, neither does TED. I can just simply ignore you. Sure, you can have dissenting opinions, but we don't have to put up with listening to you. So maybe we're not the ones who should get over ourselves, here.

Perhaps I should put trigger warnings at the beginning of my posts if my opinions are having such a negative effect on you. If you are posting in a thread and taking one side of a discussion you shouldn't be ignoring people who ask you to defend your position. The world isn't an echo chamber.
Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology but only remember learning about photosynthesis
Unlike marijuana, religion and capitalism will kill you.
Kannap wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:Is Ugatoo really here on their anti-rape crusade? Like seriously, TET is for having a laugh, not a soapbox for someone's rants.

We should banish Ugatoo from TET *nods*

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:46 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Hell there is a really obscure and censored game in which the whole point is to get to rape women you meet in a city.

It certainly isn't how I'd use it as a mechanic, but I would fight against censoring the game, for certain.

My idea for lynching is to give the player character control of someone, unarmed, trying to stop a lynching. You can't punch or kick, but as you try to swim through the crowd you get shoved back, or tripped and have to fight your way out of the press of the crowd. You yell for them to stop, but nobody can hear you over the crowd. You call for help but nobody cares.

You then have to solve the crime and find that the person who committed the crime had left town, and they just wanted to lynch the Polish man because fuck the Poles.

I would actually start off with you in the role of the lyncher and after the lynching, you switch to the role of the individual solving the crime. Done correctly, you could get a scenario akin to the Trevor torture gameplay in GTA V, which was really effective.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Ugatoo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ugatoo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:48 am

Tevehas wrote:
Ugatoo wrote:If you don't care why are you here discussing it? How can you claim to support freedom of speech/expression yet refuse to have an actual discussion as to the merits and faults of that system? If you can't or won't defend your rights why should others defend them for you?

Well what faults are there in having freedom of expression?

The only real argument against having freedom of speech and expression is that 'it might hurt someone's feelings. Now don't get me wrong I'm not advocating for arson to be considered a form of expression, but studies show video games won't make people into sexists or school shooters. What's the harm in letting artists, game developers, or whoever make a product. By all means criticize it, but don't censor it like the people at the translation companies do.

Oh I completely agree with you. I think freedom of speech and expression are by far the most important rights we as people have. We could literally lose any other rights we have and we'd be fine, we could get them back as long as we can speak out against the government.

My argument is not in favour of censorship my argument is simply "What does fanservice bring to the medium", honestly if you want to see Cammy's crotch so badly that you need a street fighter game for it there are much better ways to see it.
Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology but only remember learning about photosynthesis
Kannap wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:Is Ugatoo really here on their anti-rape crusade? Like seriously, TET is for having a laugh, not a soapbox for someone's rants.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:49 am

Hladgos wrote:Maybe it's just where I live, but I haven't seen PC ever get overbearing to the point of limiting progress. The most PC thing I've experienced was the change of 'he' to them or they when writing papers.

As someone who has written a lot of technical papers, that bugs me a lot.

But that's because it really gets hard to make sure that you keep proper tone throughout instructions when you can't use the third person formal and have to use the informal.

I usually solved it by using the alternative appellation where possible, "The customer" or "The Airman" as opposed to "He" or "She".

It, however, would bug me that they would demand that I use non-gender specific pronouns for gender specific occupations.

Like having security checks on civilians performed by gender appropriate folks, and then having to say "The Airman" instead of "The Female Airman", because if I can't use "he" then by gawd I can't use "female".

Yes sir. Thank you sir. I'm certain this is going to be a clear and concise paper, sir. If the Sir would be willing to go fuck himself now I'd really appreciate it.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:50 am

Ugatoo wrote:

Perhaps I should put trigger warnings at the beginning of my posts if my opinions are having such a negative effect on you. If you are posting in a thread and taking one side of a discussion you shouldn't be ignoring people who ask you to defend your position. The world isn't an echo chamber.

I've been called all names in a dictionary and put down in several ways. Whatever opinions you have don't affect me.

Simply put, we're not obligated to pay any attention to you. You can disagree, doesn't mean I have to defend my position, unless you have a gun barrel against my forehead. In which case me disagreeing with you and defending my position is the least of your worries at that point.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:50 am

Mavorpen wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:It certainly isn't how I'd use it as a mechanic, but I would fight against censoring the game, for certain.

I would actually start off with you in the role of the lyncher and after the lynching, you switch to the role of the individual solving the crime. Done correctly, you could get a scenario akin to the Trevor torture gameplay in GTA V, which was really effective.

Indeed, kind of the opposite of Spec Ops: The Line, where instead of feeling bad for using Whisky Pete, you feel weird and dissonant.

Ugatoo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ugatoo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:51 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Hladgos wrote:Maybe it's just where I live, but I haven't seen PC ever get overbearing to the point of limiting progress. The most PC thing I've experienced was the change of 'he' to them or they when writing papers.

It, however, would bug me that they would demand that I use non-gender specific pronouns for gender specific occupations.

I honestly can not think of a single gender specific occupations, could you give me an example?
Kannap wrote:

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:52 am

Ugatoo wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:It, however, would bug me that they would demand that I use non-gender specific pronouns for gender specific occupations.

I honestly can not think of a single gender specific occupations, could you give me an example?

Yes.

Ugatoo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ugatoo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:52 am

Ugatoo wrote:Perhaps I should put trigger warnings at the beginning of my posts if my opinions are having such a negative effect on you. If you are posting in a thread and taking one side of a discussion you shouldn't be ignoring people who ask you to defend your position. The world isn't an echo chamber.

I've been called all names in a dictionary and put down in several ways. Whatever opinions you have don't affect me.

Simply put, we're not obligated to pay any attention to you. You can disagree, doesn't mean I have to defend my position, unless you have a gun barrel against my forehead.
What you're saying is akin to participating in a debate and ignoring your opponent. This is not how ideas are tested. This is not how society grows.
Kannap wrote:

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:52 am

Ugatoo wrote:

Simply put, we're not obligated to pay any attention to you. You can disagree, doesn't mean I have to defend my position, unless you have a gun barrel against my forehead.
What you're saying is akin to participating in a debate and ignoring your opponent. This is not how ideas are tested. This is not how society grows.

You're not our opponent. You're just someone jumping up and down saying things.

Ugatoo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ugatoo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:54 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Ugatoo wrote:What you're saying is akin to participating in a debate and ignoring your opponent. This is not how ideas are tested. This is not how society grows.

You're not our opponent. You're just someone jumping up and down saying things.

You're on one side of the issue I'm on the other how are we not opponents?
Kannap wrote:

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:55 am

Ugatoo wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:You're not our opponent. You're just someone jumping up and down saying things.

You're on one side of the issue I'm on the other how are we not opponents?

Because I'm not debating with you.

It's part of that whole "refusal to engage in discussion" thing.

Ugatoo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ugatoo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:56 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Ugatoo wrote:You're on one side of the issue I'm on the other how are we not opponents?

Because I'm not debating with you.

Then either stop replying to my posts or give me a list of gender specific occupations.
Kannap wrote:

Hladgos
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hladgos » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:56 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:

As someone who has written a lot of technical papers, that bugs me a lot.

But that's because it really gets hard to make sure that you keep proper tone throughout instructions when you can't use the third person formal and have to use the informal.

I usually solved it by using the alternative appellation where possible, "The customer" or "The Airman" as opposed to "He" or "She".

Like having security checks on civilians performed by gender appropriate folks, and then having to say "The Airman" instead of "The Female Airman", because if I can't use "he" then by gawd I can't use "female".

Yes sir. Thank you sir. I'm certain this is going to be a clear and concise paper, sir. If the Sir would be willing to go fuck himself now I'd really appreciate it.

Anytime I ever had to talk about people I'd keep in gender neutral, but the differences now were gender specific positions like policeman and such. I always just used officer or whatever anyway since I figured it could go either way.
Divair wrote:Hladcore.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're a nut. I like that.
Pro: being outside, conserving our Earth, the pursuit of happiness, universal acceptance
Anti: ignorance and intolerance
Life is suffering. Suffering is caused by craving and aversion. Suffering can be overcome and happiness can be attained. Live a moral life.

"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny." -Stephen Hawking

"The purpose of our life is to be happy." -Dali Lama

"If I had no sense of humor, I would have long ago committed suicide." -Gandhi

"Don't worry, be happy!" -Bobby McFerrin

Silly Pride

"No." -Dya

Tevehas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Tevehas » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:57 am

Ugatoo wrote:My argument is not in favour of censorship my argument is simply "What does fanservice bring to the medium", honestly if you want to see Cammy's crotch so badly that you need a street fighter game for it there are much better ways to see it.

I can't really give you a straight answer to that on the grounds that I don't really know what they wanted to do with her design. I'm certain that they had a certain look for these characters, and it's just that whole 'They're Japanese' thing where femininity in women and eroticism is celebrated.
Nation States stats are unbiased and infallible. Fact-books are supplementary reading material and should be treated as such.
WACO WAS JUST PRACTICE

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:58 am

Ugatoo wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Because I'm not debating with you.

Then either stop replying to my posts or give me a list of gender specific occupations.

No.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:59 am

Ugatoo wrote:

You honestly think I can change your mind? Lel.

I can't change your mind, you have to come to that conclusion yourself. As such I am not obligated to test your ideas for the greater good.

Tevehas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Tevehas » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:59 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:Then either stop replying to my posts or give me a list of gender specific occupations.

No.[/quote]

Emerald I agreed with your points, but you could try to be a bit more diplomatic about it.
WACO WAS JUST PRACTICE

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:00 am

Hladgos wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:As someone who has written a lot of technical papers, that bugs me a lot.

Anytime I ever had to talk about people I'd keep in gender neutral, but the differences now were gender specific positions like policeman and such. I always just used officer or whatever anyway since I figured it could go either way.

Nine times out of ten, I could get away with that. However, some commanders would end up getting their panties in a bunch and refuse to have anything referencing gender as far as pronouns go. Which means I can't detail how someone with a vagina has to do the security check on someone with a vagina, without specifically saying "The Vagina-bearing Airman". It got comically obtuse at times.

Ugatoo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ugatoo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:00 am

Tevehas wrote:
Ugatoo wrote:My argument is not in favour of censorship my argument is simply "What does fanservice bring to the medium", honestly if you want to see Cammy's crotch so badly that you need a street fighter game for it there are much better ways to see it.

I can't really give you a straight answer to that on the grounds that I don't really know what they wanted to do with her design. I'm certain that they had a certain look for these characters, and it's just that whole 'They're Japanese' thing where femininity in women and eroticism is celebrated.

I can understand it from a cultural stand point, but at the same time Western culture is a lot more sexually repressed. I personally find Cammy to be very empowering, an attractive strong woman who's comfortable with her body. Sounds great to me personally, but I still don't see what the crotch shot brings to the game or what it loses by being replaced.
Kannap wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General