NATION

PASSWORD

Ningas Cugon, do Foreigners exhibit such attitude?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Do you exhibit such attitude?

1. Yes
24%
2. No
6%
3. Somewhat
53%
4. uh, what?
18%

Total votes : 17

Secular State of the Philippines
Attaché

Founded: Jun 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Ningas Cugon, do Foreigners exhibit such attitude?

Postby Secular State of the Philippines » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Ningas (K)Cogon is the attitude when we start something with interest and enthusiasm, then after a very short time, we lose interest and stop whatever it is we are doing. Leaving things incomplete. Just like a wild fire burning out quickly.

This sort of trait is notable to Filipinos (Philippines) which I do wonder if it too exists outside of the Philippines. If it does, is it as rampant that might be considered as a passive-cardinal trait?

eg. You eagerly, enthusiatically agreed to do a certain project, you spent most of your attention on it but suddenly, out of nowhere, you lost all interest and left it incomplete or unattended.
Last edited by Secular State of the Philippines on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
.     ° ¸. ¸    :.  . • ○ °   .  * . .   ¸ .   °  ¸. * ● ¸ . …somewhere   ° °  ¸. ● ¸ .   ° :.   . • °   .  * :. . ¸ . ● ¸       ° .   ° :.  . • ○    .  °  . ● ¸ .    ° .  • ○ °   .      ° :.  . • ○   * .  °  ¸….Way up high… ● ¸     ° °  . * ¸.     ° . .    ¸ .   °  ¸. * ● ¸ . … in the Universe…   °   ° .   . • °   .  * :. . ¸ . ● ¸       ° .    ° . .    ° :.  . • ○  ° :. . • ○ ° :.  .• an alien is masturbating

The Princes of the Universe
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Princes of the Universe » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:30 pm

Are we talking something else catching one's attention suddenly or merely losing all interest in it?
Pro dolorosa Eius passione, miserere nobis et totius mundi.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.
Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:34 pm

Sounds like my life in a nutshell. I AM HALFMAN.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Secular State of the Philippines » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:53 pm

The Princes of the Universe wrote:Are we talking something else catching one's attention suddenly or merely losing all interest in it?

Something like giving too much attention to something then in short time, completely or slowly loses interest. Like you leave your things incomplete after spending too much time on it.
.     ° ¸. ¸    :.  . • ○ °   .  * . .   ¸ .   °  ¸. * ● ¸ . …somewhere   ° °  ¸. ● ¸ .   ° :.   . • °   .  * :. . ¸ . ● ¸       ° .   ° :.  . • ○    .  °  . ● ¸ .    ° .  • ○ °   .      ° :.  . • ○   * .  °  ¸….Way up high… ● ¸     ° °  . * ¸.     ° . .    ¸ .   °  ¸. * ● ¸ . … in the Universe…   °   ° .   . • °   .  * :. . ¸ . ● ¸       ° .    ° . .    ° :.  . • ○  ° :. . • ○ ° :.  .• an alien is masturbating

Cenetra
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cenetra » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Secular State of the Philippines wrote:
The Princes of the Universe wrote:Are we talking something else catching one's attention suddenly or merely losing all interest in it?

Something like giving too much attention to something then in short time, completely or slowly loses interest. Like you leave your things incomplete after spending too much time on it.

Sounds like my entire life.

This attitude is definitely known in 'Murica, but I'm not sure there's any specific phrase for it in English. Maybe "burnout" would be close, but it still isn't that close a description.
The Multiversal Species Alliance wrote:What would you do if the Mane Six were suddenly teleported to your nation?
Crumlark wrote:Introduce them to the reality of mankind, their true creators. Force them to see what we had done, making thing as simple as a string of numbers like 9/11 nearly unutterable in public. Show the true horrors of man, and it's finest creation. Death. Watch with glee as they see what we have done in the past for a man we don't know even exists. Have them peer at the suffering we cause each-other to this very day, and watch them scream, scream as they run back to wherever they came from, never to return.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Secular State of the Philippines » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:08 pm

Any men B wrote:Gear em?

eh?

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:09 pm

It definitely is not just Filipinos. It happens to me once in a while, and I've met some people who do it quite often.

I used to have a boyfriend that would get super-excited every time he got a new job or had a new idea for some career he wanted to pursue. Every time, THIS was the job/idea that was going to get him out of poverty, it was the greatest thing that ever happened to him, etc., etc. -- and then 6 months later he'd be furious about how his boss was fucking him over, they were asking too much of him, it was the worst job ever, they had too much bureaucracy to get the certifications he needed, some class he was supposed to take was too hard, blah, blah, blah. When I met him, he was training to be an electrician, but he never got his certification, and I think something happened to his tools, and he never got back to it. One time he said he was going to go into professional boxing, but I think that time he just realized he was a bit old to be just starting his career and it would be a lot of work to do the training.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:13 pm

unless one can find structural reasons for it to be so, chances are it ain't specific to a particular society
either it is not, or this is the limits of my imagination.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Secular State of the Philippines » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:32 pm

Kubra wrote:unless one can find structural reasons for it to be so, chances are it ain't specific to a particular society
either it is not, or this is the limits of my imagination.

currently looking for one

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:39 am

I wish I found it easier to do. I often end up doggedly ploughing through a book, or a film or TV series, that I have started simply because I feel compelled to complete it once I have started it. Letting things go can be a good thing.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:27 am

Funny, I never associated this trait with Filipinos. And I've worked with, supervised, even lodged with them over the course of my career. Never had any problems keeping them on focus.

They're OK workers - not lazy like some people would like to think. They're just not as humourless on the job as most Westerners and don't mind having a wee bit of fun on the side. You can't stifle that attitude, not even among Filipinos in the most authoritarian states in the world like Saudi Arabia.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:14 am

Lydenburg wrote:Funny, I never associated this trait with Filipinos. And I've worked with, supervised, even lodged with them over the course of my career. Never had any problems keeping them on focus.

They're OK workers - not lazy like some people would like to think. They're just not as humourless on the job as most Westerners and don't mind having a wee bit of fun on the side. You can't stifle that attitude, not even among Filipinos in the most authoritarian states in the world like Saudi Arabia.

That's why authoritarianism doesn't work, because some people just can't/won't fall in line no matter how hard you push.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:53 am

Supposedly, US twentysomethings consider themselves "socially concerned" and "politically engaged" because they answer yes-no polls on the internet.

Or they click their support for some irate letter or petition.

To me, that qualified as such an attitude as the one in the Philippines.

We used to call such people "dilettantes".
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:58 am

What is a passive-cardinal trait?
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:24 pm

Eol Sha wrote:What is a passive-cardinal trait?

Covering up a priestly sex abuse scandal?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... clave.html
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Mefpan
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mefpan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:38 pm

You don't want to know how many half-baked abandoned third-rate storylets litter my HDD and how many unpainted miniatures await color-coating.
I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you want to play a game of chess?
NationStates' umpteenth dirty ex-leftist class traitor.
I left the Left when it turned Right. Now I'm going back to the Right because it's all that's Left.
Yeah, Screw Realism!
Loyal Planet of Mankind

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:44 pm

I tend to start things like puppets for NS with a lot of enthusiasm, then it dies out.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:30 pm

Luziyca wrote:I tend to start things like puppets for NS with a lot of enthusiasm, then it dies out.

Same. I remember when the system was changed to allow the names of long dead small nations to be reused, I grabbed as many real life nation names as I could for puppets, then abandoned them several weeks later...
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:33 pm

I think we all go through those. Hobbies or topics that really interest us, we delve deep into them and eventually lose interest. It's called ''a momentary fad''. Of course, some of those momentary fads can translate into long-time hobbies too.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:43 pm

Yeah. I don't think of it as anyone's thing, unless they really do it.
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:01 pm

Rusozak wrote:
Luziyca wrote:I tend to start things like puppets for NS with a lot of enthusiasm, then it dies out.

Same. I remember when the system was changed to allow the names of long dead small nations to be reused, I grabbed as many real life nation names as I could for puppets, then abandoned them several weeks later...

Yeah.

It's mainly RP ideas: ooh... I can start a new colony/nation! *spends a long time writing history, then abandons it out of interest*
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General