NATION

PASSWORD

Deny Healthcare To Intentionally Destructive Lifestyles?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should people who lead intentionally destructive lifestyles be denied national healthcare?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes : 69

El Fiji Grande
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby El Fiji Grande » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:08 pm

Bezombia wrote:The problem is eventually you'll get to the point where "intentionally destructive lifestyle" comes to include such things as "driving high-emissions vehicles," "eating vegan," or "voting independent".

The slippery slope argument. Except I agree with you. And I don't think it's a bad argument.
Join to The North Pacific!
Where the democracy is strong, the debate robust, and the rum plentiful!

Forum | Discord Chat | Citizenship | Executive Staff | North Pacific Army | World Assembly Ministry | Roleplay | Trading Cards | Handbook

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Pugmire wrote:In USA, many opponents of nationalized healthcare say it’s a bad idea because alcoholics, smokers, obese people etc. will drive up demand and thus decrease the quality and increase the price (taxes) of healthcare for everyone. But if we apply the same logic that life insurance companies use to provide coverage, we see these problems are circumvented by a vetting process. People who are at high risk of death or who seemingly do not want to live are not approved.

So an easy way to keep costs down and quality up is to simply deny service to those who lead intentionally destructive lifestyles. A doctor could put patients who choose to maintain unhealthy habits (smoking, overeating to extremes, etc.) on a probationary period, and if no improvement is made within the allotted time, refer them to a private doctor. Can’t afford the private doctor? Shouldn’t have spent all your money on Big Macs and/or Marlboros and you wouldn’t need a private doctor anyway.

Of course the specifics of how to implement related policy would need to be very carefully thought out but I think the basic idea is sound, and hammering out ideas is what discussions are for anyway. So, yay or nay?

This issue already exists on employer-sponsored group plans -- particularly dependent coverage where people that are too sick to work can still be added as dependents. Socialized medicine wouldn't make these unhealthy lifestyles any more common than they already are, and the costs are already being passed on to other people through insurance premiums charged by private insurers.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:47 pm

Pugmire wrote:In USA, many opponents of nationalized healthcare say it’s a bad idea because alcoholics, smokers, obese people etc. will drive up demand and thus decrease the quality and increase the price (taxes) of healthcare for everyone.

except they tend to do the exact opposite by dying instead of growing old.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:16 pm

Pugmire wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:I already addressed you with a legitimate question, which you've elected to ignore, meaning you are apparently done debating as well.

I suppose I will accept your concession.

You can't accept my concession because it doesn't exist.

:roll: My, oh my. So you're allowed to make shit up, but I'm not. K bud.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Sam Hyde
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sam Hyde » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:17 pm

this is thin privilege.
What the critics are saying:
Redsection wrote:Idk if your an racist , but you are funny in an weird way.
WCJNSTBH wrote:Sam Hyde is the least racist motherfucker in this thread.
Confederate Ramenia wrote:This is when he showed the world that he was based; that he was not a cuck; that he is not a degenerate. This will be a crucial moment and I want to preserve this.
Byzantium Imperial wrote:You sir are a legend

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:22 pm

Legislating morality never works. Anything could be considered to be an "intentionally destructive lifestyle", as the definition is entirely subjective and would be prone to abuse.

Cenetra
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cenetra » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:23 pm

Pugmire wrote:In USA, many opponents of nationalized healthcare say it’s a bad idea because alcoholics, smokers, obese people etc. will drive up demand and thus decrease the quality and increase the price (taxes) of healthcare for everyone. But if we apply the same logic that life insurance companies use to provide coverage, we see these problems are circumvented by a vetting process. People who are at high risk of death or who seemingly do not want to live are not approved.

So an easy way to keep costs down and quality up is to simply deny service to those who lead intentionally destructive lifestyles. A doctor could put patients who choose to maintain unhealthy habits (smoking, overeating to extremes, etc.) on a probationary period, and if no improvement is made within the allotted time, refer them to a private doctor. Can’t afford the private doctor? Shouldn’t have spent all your money on Big Macs and/or Marlboros and you wouldn’t need a private doctor anyway.

Of course the specifics of how to implement related policy would need to be very carefully thought out but I think the basic idea is sound, and hammering out ideas is what discussions are for anyway. So, yay or nay?

Alcoholics, smokers, and obese people in developed nations skew heavily towards lower incomes - i.e. the people who need nationalized healthcare the most. This sounds like another "war on the poor" measure.
The Multiversal Species Alliance wrote:What would you do if the Mane Six were suddenly teleported to your nation?
Crumlark wrote:Introduce them to the reality of mankind, their true creators. Force them to see what we had done, making thing as simple as a string of numbers like 9/11 nearly unutterable in public. Show the true horrors of man, and it's finest creation. Death. Watch with glee as they see what we have done in the past for a man we don't know even exists. Have them peer at the suffering we cause each-other to this very day, and watch them scream, scream as they run back to wherever they came from, never to return.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General