NATION

PASSWORD

Withheld Video of Murder in Cincinnati

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Withheld Video of Murder in Cincinnati

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:58 pm

UPDATE: WHETHER YOU WANTED IT TO HAPPEN OR NOT, SOMETHING GOT RELEASED.
I don't know if it's my phone or what, but it just looked like a garbled mess, like you see him pull his gun but don't actually see the shot.
http://gawker.com/u-of-cincinnati-cop-i ... 1720875741
The prosecutor noted DuBose was dead instantly after being shot in the head, but “he fell forward and must have pressed on the gas,” and Tensing had to chase after his car.

"The video of police killing of Sam Dubose is apparently so bad, Cincinnati is preparing for riots"
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/07/2 ... for-riots#

After a routine traffic stop by a University of Cincinnati Police Officer, Sam Dubose ended up dead with his face blown off. The officer was wearing a body camera, but the city refuses to release the video. In the meantime, everybody who sees it is deeply disturbed, including the city wide police chief.

So basically, the police shot this guy and it's so awful they won't release the video. I think they should. If they don't, and things like that are kept from the public, then that sets a dangerous precedent. Fact and fiction will run together into a disgusting tangle, and truth will be even harder to come by.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/the-vid ... am-dubose/

An Ohio prosecutor is refusing to release body camera video from the fatal police shooting of an unarmed black man during a traffic stop — but top officials are suggesting that the video disputes the campus police officer’s claims of self-defense.

Officer Ray Tensing, of the University of Cincinnati police department, shot and killed 43-year-old Sam Dubose during a routine traffic stop July 19 near campus.

Disputes his claim to self defense? Then his claim is probably unfounded. That's why we need this video released. I struggle not to throw up my hands and wear that defeatist attitude, and say 'Hey, he's probably going to get away with killing him anyways. This is just how we're going to be lynched in the 21st century, I guess.'
Nah. Giving up only makes things worse for us. I can't do that and we've come too far.

This wouldn't be a thread, though, if I didn't ask you some questions. What do you think should happen to the footage? What do you think will happen? Is police persecution of African Americans in America a serious problem? (Spoiler, it is) How do we solve it?

And by the way, I want more that just those oh what a tragedy posts. You people are lazy. Actually contribute to the thread.

Edit: Another source. Probably gonna get more soon.
http://www.fox19.com/story/29639775/dub ... -video-now
Last edited by The Cobalt Sky on Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:03 pm

Both sources are biased, but yet another city ablaze.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Geilinor wrote:Both sources are biased, but yet another city ablaze.

Has that even happened yet? And I'll go get some more.
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:05 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Both sources are biased, but yet another city ablaze.

Has that even happened yet? And I'll go get some more.

Not yet, but it could happen, especially if the video isn't released.
Last edited by Geilinor on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Ayothaya
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayothaya » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:06 pm

Police officers are supposed to be serving the public. Therefore, I think it could be argued that the footage belongs to the public and that people have a right to see what is being done supposedly in the name of "keeping the peace".

If the city is so worried about riots, perhaps they should not engaging in the kind of behavior that provokes them, and perhaps the justice system should be reformed so that it actually delivers justice for all, and does not allow people to get away with murder if they carry a badge or have a large enough bank account.

It is outrageous that this keeps happening.
Last edited by Ayothaya on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Under capitalism, man exploits man.
Under communism, it's just the opposite.

- J.K.Galbraith

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:10 pm

Geilinor wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:Has that even happened yet? And I'll go get some more.

Not yet, but it could happen, especially if the video isn't released.

Wow. I admire your teen angst expect the worst attitude. I'm 15 myself, and I don't think I could generate something like that. Already said the city is on fire...

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:11 pm

*sigh* I am no longer surprised by this. If it happened a year ago, I would be angered. But as it is now, nothing will ever change in American society. It is just so rotten to the core, so damaged from years of neglect, that there is no point in changing anything by using the existing system, but instead, a revolution needs to occur.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Greater Istanistan
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Istanistan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Again.

Seriously.

Do these cops have nothing better to do with their time?
ASK ME ABOUT HARUHIISM

DYNASTIES ARE THEFT/IMPEACH REINHARD/YANG WENLI 2020

"I am not a champion of lost causes, but of causes not yet won." - Norman Thomas

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Greater Istanistan wrote:Again.

Seriously.

Do these cops have nothing better to do with their time?

It's the United States. They don't have anything better to do.
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:13 pm

Ayothaya wrote:Police officers are supposed to be serving the public. Therefore, I think it could be argued that the footage belongs to the public and that people have a right to see what is being done supposedly in the name of "keeping the peace".

Yes...
If the city is so worried about riots, perhaps they should not engaging in the kind of behavior that provokes them, and perhaps the justice system should be reformed so that it actually delivers justice for all, and does not allow people to get away with murder if they carry a badge or have a large enough bank account.

Yes... Gonna say in advance Rioting isn't an appropriate response for those who might deliberately misread what I've said...

Outrageous? Or just American?
Luziyca wrote:*sigh* I am no longer surprised by this. If it happened a year ago, I would be angered. But as it is now, nothing will ever change in American society. It is just so rotten to the core, so damaged from years of neglect, that there is no point in changing anything by using the existing system, but instead, a revolution needs to occur.

Are you willing to eat rats to survive?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M5W_3T2Ye4
Last edited by The Cobalt Sky on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ayothaya
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayothaya » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:17 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:

Outrageous? Or just American?

If you live here you may have noticed these two categories are not mutually exclusive and indeed there is considerable overlap between them.
Last edited by Ayothaya on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Under capitalism, man exploits man.
Under communism, it's just the opposite.

- J.K.Galbraith

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:18 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:
Luziyca wrote:*sigh* I am no longer surprised by this. If it happened a year ago, I would be angered. But as it is now, nothing will ever change in American society. It is just so rotten to the core, so damaged from years of neglect, that there is no point in changing anything by using the existing system, but instead, a revolution needs to occur.

Are you willing to eat rats to survive?

Depends.

That said, I am Canadian. NSG and incidents like these, as well as your politicians have driven me to greater contempt towards the States. Just once, I want to hear a trend of good newsworthy events that benefits humanity apart from celebrity gossip. I have read so many of these things, that I can no longer pretend to be surprised at this.

In Gentem Et De Libris Scientiam
Senator

Founded: Feb 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby In Gentem Et De Libris Scientiam » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:22 pm

I feel they should release he video... But slightly censor it so its not as gory. Or don't. Both are fine. As much as I love rioting, it's not beneficial and is quite stupid.
Current Rps:
Yangire
prolbmeation
R.I.P Dyakovo

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Ayothaya wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:Outrageous? Or just American?

If you live here you may have noticed these two categories are not mutually exclusive and indeed there is considerable overlap between them.

Lol u funny, dawg. Added you as a forum friend.
Luziyca wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:Are you willing to eat rats to survive?

Depends.

That said, I am Canadian. NSG and incidents like these, as well as your politicians have driven me to greater contempt towards the States. Just once, I want to hear a trend of good newsworthy events that benefits humanity apart from celebrity gossip. I have read so many of these things, that I can no longer pretend to be surprised at this.

Contempt towards which part of the states? I don't know how Canadians view the US, but we've kind of got split personality disorder. And there's a ton of personalities. Also--are you not surprised as in you don't care anymore? Or not surprised as in the veil has been removed from your eyes?

In Gentem Et De Libris Scientiam wrote:I feel they should release he video... But slightly censor it so its not as gory. Or don't. Both are fine. As much as I love rioting, it's not beneficial and is quite stupid.

One day, I'm gonna give a girl a cocktail. A molotov cocktail.
Last edited by The Cobalt Sky on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:26 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Depends.

Contempt towards which part of the states? I don't know how Canadians view the US, but we've kind of got split personality disorder. And there's a ton of personalities. Also--are you not surprised as in you don't care anymore? Or not surprised as in the veil has been removed from your eyes?

The federal and most of the state governments, as well as quite a lot of your politicians and celebrities. As for that, it is more that I am not surprised that it happens so often and so frequently. The sad thing is that things will only change if there is a concerted effort to reduce racism in public forces.

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby In Gentem Et De Libris Scientiam » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:26 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:
Ayothaya wrote:

Lol u funny, dawg. Added you as a forum friend.
Luziyca wrote:Depends.

In Gentem Et De Libris Scientiam wrote:I feel they should release he video... But slightly censor it so its not as gory. Or don't. Both are fine. As much as I love rioting, it's not beneficial and is quite stupid.

Make it a evil, mean girl. So I can say
Burn, B!tch, burn.
I'm also not really surprised, but on some occasions I feel it is justified.
Current Rps:
Yangire
prolbmeation
R.I.P Dyakovo

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:28 pm

Saving the video for the courtroom is fine, but that only works if the case is going to court. It sounds like he should be facing charges anyway.

Either way, they need to do something to address the situation ASAP because we really don't need another riot about police brutality and race issues.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:30 pm

USS Monitor wrote:Saving the video for the courtroom is fine, but that only works if the case is going to court. It sounds like he should be facing charges anyway.

Either way, they need to do something to address the situation ASAP because we really don't need another riot about police brutality and race issues.

Unfortunately, they will never do so. When things like these happen, they will never address the situation ASAP, and they'll just instead let the riots form.

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:32 pm

Luziyca wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:Contempt towards which part of the states? I don't know how Canadians view the US, but we've kind of got split personality disorder. And there's a ton of personalities. Also--are you not surprised as in you don't care anymore? Or not surprised as in the veil has been removed from your eyes?

The federal and most of the state governments, as well as quite a lot of your politicians and celebrities. As for that, it is more that I am not surprised that it happens so often and so frequently. The sad thing is that things will only change if there is a concerted effort to reduce racism in public forces.

Yeah. Tell to Bill O'Reilly and all his brood.

As for states, yeah, we've got some dumb ones. Not all are the same, keep that in mind. But I guess that's something you already understand, since there's a such thing as French Canada, right? (LOL)

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:33 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:
Luziyca wrote:The federal and most of the state governments, as well as quite a lot of your politicians and celebrities. As for that, it is more that I am not surprised that it happens so often and so frequently. The sad thing is that things will only change if there is a concerted effort to reduce racism in public forces.

Yeah. Tell to Bill O'Reilly and all his brood.

As for states, yeah, we've got some dumb ones. Not all are the same, keep that in mind. But I guess that's something you already understand, since there's a such thing as French Canada, right? (LOL)

Indeed. Unfortunately, I feel riots are inevitable, and I really think they will never solve the issue before it is too late. Also, yeah, we do have French Canada, but at least it is not as bad as south of the 49th.

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:33 pm

In Gentem Et De Libris Scientiam wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:Lol u funny, dawg. Added you as a forum friend.

Make it a evil, mean girl. So I can say
Burn, B!tch, burn.

Personally, I can totally relate to it, but I wouldn't say justified since it's just another opening for them to kill us.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:35 pm

I don't know that I really need to see the video. I think people making a determination in the shooting absolutely need to see the video. People involved in determining guilt, that kind of shit. I don't need to see it. I don't want to see it. I won't watch it if shown to me. It's fucked off enough to know it happened.

I get that it might be an issue of transparency, that at issue is situations where we have been shown the video of cops choking out someone and seen them get a pass. That's frustrating.

I guess I don't have an answer for it-certainly there is an answer to transparency and accountability that doesn't smack of spectacle. I don't want to see it, I don't want it to happen more.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby In Gentem Et De Libris Scientiam » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:36 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:
In Gentem Et De Libris Scientiam wrote:Make it a evil, mean girl. So I can say
Burn, B!tch, burn.

Personally, I can totally relate to it, but I wouldn't say justified since it's just another opening for them to kill us.

But America also has high rates of guns per civilians AND mental illness. So if they are a bit jumpy, it's because a LOT of them die each year.
Current Rps:
Yangire
prolbmeation
R.I.P Dyakovo

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:38 pm

A problem long ignored is coming to light. A saddening event, but the focus on it is, at least for now, a good sign for the future.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:38 pm

Luziyca wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:Yeah. Tell to Bill O'Reilly and all his brood.

Indeed. Unfortunately, I feel riots are inevitable, and I really think they will never solve the issue before it is too late. Also, yeah, we do have French Canada, but at least it is not as bad as south of the 49th.

Dang your mind works fast. Gotta think of some sort of come back... Alright.
I feel like I agree with you on a lot of things, but as an American, it's my opinion that Canada is nothing more than America's hat or just extended Maine.

Also, this seems like a cool arrangement:
http://sandiegofreepress.org/wp-content ... usland.jpg

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General