NATION

PASSWORD

Islamic State Crisis Megathread (ISIS/ISIL/IS) II

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the US deploy ground forces to defeat ISIS

Yes!
43%
No!
38%
It isn't our fight!
15%
Who is ISIS?
4%

Total votes : 313

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:07 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:Hopefully Mr. Beall is aware to also protest the British support of the Saudi and Gulf regimes that have been stoking up more extremism, anger and discontent long before the airstrikes began or, you know, before ISIS was even a thing.

Indeed. Something needs to be done about the Gulf states.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:44 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Ganos Lao wrote:Hopefully Mr. Beall is aware to also protest the British support of the Saudi and Gulf regimes that have been stoking up more extremism, anger and discontent long before the airstrikes began or, you know, before ISIS was even a thing.

Isn't Qatar a Gulf State? If they won't go to war over the World Cup, I don't know what they'd go to war over.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:21 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Isn't Qatar a Gulf State? If they won't go to war over the World Cup, I don't know what they'd go to war over.

The World Cup ought to be boycotted en masse like the '80 Olympics in Moscow were, if FIFA has no spine to give it to someone more deserving, but that won't happen because FIFA's, well, FIFA.

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:23 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

But what is to be done? The West is in a bind. If they just flat out disown the Gulf States, their days are numbered. ISIS, or groups like ISIS, will go to town on their sorry asses. If the West continues to prop them up, they'll just keep funding the guys who go to town on innocent citizens such as in Paris.

I have no faith in the powers that be to do anything about anything, let alone the Gulf States, without the situation getting much much worse first.

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

West Aurelia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby West Aurelia » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:11 am

_REPUBLIC OF WEST AURELIA_
Official factbook
#Valaransofab

Supreme Allied Commander
Secretary

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Supreme Allied Commander » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:29 am

Ganos Lao wrote:
3) Impose the West as sole agents for all oil tanker export sales out of the Gulf. Seize all oil tankers exporting oil and sell the oil, depriving regimes of oil profits.

Acts of war are fun, aren't they? But it's almost like you think they won't defend their tankers and potentially throw everyone into some sort of conflict.

I do think that the Gulf countries would be well advised not to attempt (and fail) to "defend their tankers" and not to "throw everyone into some sort of conflict" (which they would lose).

I do understand that oil tankers can only be exported efficiently from the Gulf in a reasonably peaceful and permissive environment.

Whilst potentially, Gulf countries could refuse to export any of their oil via tankers at all, it would be their Gulf economies which would suffer a severe regime-toppling economic loss while Western countries' economies would be merely inconvenienced by higher global oil prices.

Therefore the West can comfortably endure any suspension of Gulf oil tanker exports for so long as it takes for Gulf countries to change their minds or their regimes.

If any Gulf country would rather commit economic suicide and never export any more of their oil that would, in my humble opinion, be a (higher global oil) price worth paying to remove the source of funding for state sponsorship of global jihadi terrorism.

The Gulf countries would have more to lose than we would from suspending Gulf oil exports so I think it is reasonable to assume that they'd blink first and bend to our requirements to end state-sponsorship of jihadi terrorism.
Last edited by Supreme Allied Commander on Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Supreme Allied Commander

Visegradian Poland
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Visegradian Poland » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:32 am

Nuke them before they get a nuke. Collateral damage is necessary here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQ9fSnDGHw Psycho rap is best rap.
STEAM
POLISH WODKA IS BETTER THAN RUSSIAN VODKA
GABEN FIXED DE_NUKE
NATIONSTATE'S FAVOURITE TOILET CLEANER

flag changed by Queen of Carthage

Seraven
Senator

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:45 am

operating independently of local troops in Iraq and Syria for the first time, defense secretary Ash Carter has revealed, in a significant escalation of the frontline use of American ground troops in the region.

Operating independently? Does it means the US expeditionary force won't cooperates with local troops in Iraq and Syria and try to form US-supported government?
Copper can change as its quality went down.
Gold can't change, for its quality never went down.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Seraven wrote:I know right! Whites enslaved the natives, they killed them, they converted them forcibly, they acted like a better human beings than the Muslims.

An excellent example of why allowing unrestricted immigration of people with a very different culture might not be the best idea ever :P

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:12 am

Visegradian Poland wrote:Nuke them before they get a nuke. Collateral damage is necessary here.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:13 am

Ganos Lao wrote:
Visegradian Poland wrote:Nuke them before they get a nuke. Collateral damage is necessary here.

Dont... just dont.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:16 am

Seraven wrote:

operating independently of local troops in Iraq and Syria for the first time, defense secretary Ash Carter has revealed, in a significant escalation of the frontline use of American ground troops in the region.

Operating independently? Does it means the US expeditionary force won't cooperates with local troops in Iraq and Syria and try to form US-supported government?

The plan has always been, and will be, to form a pro-American government in a whole and united Iraq. This is just them trying to keep people from getting uppity in the US.

Also, there's a Parliamentary debate going on over expanding British airstrikes in Westminster. Ed Milliband just said he will be voting against expansion while Crispin Blunt says al-Nusra and others should be attacked as well.
Last edited by Ganos Lao on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:23 am

Supreme Allied Commander wrote:I do think that the Gulf countries would be well advised not to attempt (and fail) to "defend their tankers" and not to "throw everyone into some sort of conflict" (which they would lose).

Riiiight. I'd say that I hope you'd enjoy the egg on your face when this plan fails, but it'd be innocent civilians getting it in their faces when they're shot down in some Western city over further American meddling. But hey, you still get the oil rather than, you know, invest in alternate energy. Like nuclear, for example. I also noticed you have no plans for the aftermath of defeating ISIS. Would you care to expand on that particular topic, please?

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:29 am

Ganos Lao wrote:
Supreme Allied Commander wrote:I do think that the Gulf countries would be well advised not to attempt (and fail) to "defend their tankers" and not to "throw everyone into some sort of conflict" (which they would lose).

Riiiight. I'd say that I hope you'd enjoy the egg on your face when this plan fails, but it'd be innocent civilians getting it in their faces when they're shot down in some Western city over further American meddling. But hey, you still get the oil rather than, you know, invest in alternate energy. Like nuclear, for example. I also noticed you have no plans for the aftermath of defeating ISIS. Would you care to expand on that particular topic, please?

I know, a provisional government headed by some of the best buds of the Bush 2 Administration!
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Daburuetchi
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Daburuetchi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:32 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Ganos Lao wrote:

Dont... just dont.

That was the legit policy advocated by Henry Kissenger in "Nuclear Weapons and Foreign Policy"

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:43 am

I am leaning towards intervention, but on condition that it is well planned, and that they have a solid plan to restore inclusion of all denominations of Islam, as well as the Kurdish. Either a clear plan, or I cannot decide.

I think the existing Middle Eastern borders is out of date but there is still no excuse for extremism like what ISIL is doing.
Last edited by Minoa on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Daburuetchi
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Daburuetchi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:48 am

Minoa wrote:I am leaning towards intervention, but on condition that it is well planned, and that they have a solid plan to restore inclusion of all denominations of Islam, as well as the Kurdish. Either a clear plan, or I cannot decide.

I think the existing Middle Eastern borders is out of date but there is still no excuse for extremism like what ISIL is doing.

Lol the invasion of Iraq and the destabilization of Syria were "planned" and look where that got us. Stop screwing with the middle east

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:51 am

Minoa wrote:I am leaning towards intervention, but on condition that it is well planned, and that they have a solid plan to restore inclusion of all denominations of Islam, as well as the Kurdish. Either a clear plan, or I cannot decide.

Intervention is inevitable. Everything up to that point has been the concentrated efforts of the Western governments to avoid impeachment from a war weary populace, especially in the United States. I mean, if Obama were to go out and say, yeah, we're sending our boys back, the fallout would be astronomic in scope.

And that's just domestically speaking.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:53 am

Daburuetchi wrote:

Lol the invasion of Iraq and the destabilization of Syria were "planned" and look where that got us. Stop screwing with the middle east

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. That's where everyone's at at this point.

Also, the Middle Easterners themselves should stop screwing around with it too.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:30 pm

Daburuetchi wrote:

My concept of intervention must involve more than taking down ISIL if we cannot negotiate with them peacefully despite many attempts: it has to also address the causes so it does not happen again. Addressing the causes will require the cooperation of everyone from all sides, but ISIL has already dug a hole of trouble so deep that it has many enemies now because of the unprecedented war crimes they committed.

This is the problem of using violence for revenge and retribution. I know some will refuse to forgive for what has happened, but there has to be a civilised way to put things right, but the problem is that the ongoing violence is making things worse.

EDIT: the conflict is already so messed up: one of the reasons for moving to a quieter country. Everyday I read the international news (no matter how truthful they are) my mind gets more messed up.
Last edited by Minoa on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Visegradian Poland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Visegradian Poland » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:32 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:

No, no, no guys I'm being serious here. Bomb all the ISIS controlled areas. Don't nuke because of radiation.
STEAM
GABEN FIXED DE_NUKE

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Russia's military releases what it believes is solid proof that the Turks are working with ISIS.

You can watch the video version here. Yes, I know it's RT, but no doubt others will pick up on it if the supposed proof has any real merit.

Washington Post says the Turks are claiming the Russians are complicit themselves in the ISIS oil trade.
Last edited by Ganos Lao on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Visegradian Poland wrote:
Ganos Lao wrote:

No, no, no guys I'm being serious here.

Hence my gif.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:18 pm

Visegradian Poland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Visegradian Poland » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:19 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:
Visegradian Poland wrote:
No, no, no guys I'm being serious here.

Hence my gif.

Ya. We should bomb them.
STEAM
GABEN FIXED DE_NUKE

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:19 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:Russia's military releases what it believes is solid proof that the Turks are working with ISIS.

You can watch the video version here. Yes, I know it's RT, but no doubt others will pick up on it if the supposed proof has any real merit.

Sorry but I don't believe in state media especially if it's RT.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General