NATION

PASSWORD

Portuguese Colonial Wars

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ludania
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 05, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ludania » Fri May 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Definitely, but surely they would have noticed it was harming them after fighting for over a decade?

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri May 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Frasers wrote:
Migas999 wrote:and even some historians believe that the credit of discovering North America

1)no that would be the native north americans

Migas999 wrote:I explain Cristovao Colombo was not in fact Spanish but really a portuguese man in service of the Spanish Crown after having been turned down by the Portuguese Crown

2)no nobody knows where columbus was from

1) We're talking about the discovery of the Americas by the Old World (Europe, Middle East, North Africa, Asia). Everyone essentially knew India, China, etc were real, just didn't know a lot about them. Apart from the Norse, no one knew what lay beyond. Aaaand hate to break this to you, but the majority of human history, especially the most important bits - yeah happening in the Old World. Hence, using the term discovering the Americas.

2) He was from Genoa.

Frasers
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Frasers » Fri May 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Calimera II wrote:You know very well what he means.

yes but it is awful phrasing and completely discounts the existence of the indigenous folk who inhabited the lands in the first place

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri May 29, 2015 3:53 pm

Frasers wrote:
Migas999 wrote:1) I meant the first European and world country to launch the discovery age, and the conquest of foreign lands with the conquest of Ceuta

2)Some historians believe he was portuguese

3)Native Brasilians already lived there so they didn´t "discover" it, and Portugal was the first country to establish a trading outpost in India

why didn't you just say these things then if they're what you meant.

Because most people know what he meant off the bat.

Migas999
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Frasers wrote:

yes but it is awful phrasing and completely discounts the existence of the indigenous folk who inhabited the lands in the first place

We´re talking about the old world countries here

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:55 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Frasers wrote:
why didn't you just say these things then if they're what you meant.

Because most people know what he meant off the bat.

Also thank you, the phrasing might be due to the fact that english is my second language

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Calimera II » Fri May 29, 2015 3:55 pm

Frasers wrote:

We would be very limited vocally if we were to be 100% politically correct.

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:56 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Frasers wrote:

1)no that would be the native north americans

2)no nobody knows where columbus was from

1) We're talking about the discovery of the Americas by the Old World (Europe, Middle East, North Africa, Asia). Everyone essentially knew India, China, etc were real, just didn't know a lot about them. Apart from the Norse, no one knew what lay beyond. Aaaand hate to break this to you, but the majority of human history, especially the most important bits - yeah happening in the Old World. Hence, using the term discovering the Americas.

2) He was from Genoa.

And the first Old World countries to reach those places were Portugal and Spain

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri May 29, 2015 3:57 pm

Migas999 wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:1) We're talking about the discovery of the Americas by the Old World (Europe, Middle East, North Africa, Asia). Everyone essentially knew India, China, etc were real, just didn't know a lot about them. Apart from the Norse, no one knew what lay beyond. Aaaand hate to break this to you, but the majority of human history, especially the most important bits - yeah happening in the Old World. Hence, using the term discovering the Americas.

2) He was from Genoa.

Norse got you beat I'm afraid.

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Postby Calimera II » Fri May 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Migas999 wrote:

Spain and Portugal didn't discover Canada.

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Migas999 wrote:

Well I knew that about the Norse yes I accept that but I mean the first countries to make claims, colonies, trading outposts, etc...

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:59 pm

Calimera II wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Norse got you beat I'm afraid.

Didn´t say Canada but what is now the Caribbieans, US, Brasil and all of Central and South America

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Postby Calimera II » Fri May 29, 2015 4:00 pm

Migas999's point is that Portugal and Spain ''discovered'' large parts of the new world.
Portuguese discoveries: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_discoveries

Migas999 wrote:
Calimera II wrote:Spain and Portugal didn't discover Canada.

Didn´t say Canada but what is now the Caribbieans, US, Brasil and all of Central and South America

Yes, I know.
Last edited by Calimera II on Fri May 29, 2015 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri May 29, 2015 4:00 pm

Calimera II wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Norse got you beat I'm afraid.

Pretty sure he's talking about the New World in general, not specific spots.

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Postby Calimera II » Fri May 29, 2015 4:01 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Calimera II wrote:Spain and Portugal didn't discover Canada.

Pretty sure he's talking about the New World in general, not specific spots.

I don't think he is. He is talking about large parts of the new world. Not about every piece of land.

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 4:01 pm

Calimera II wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Pretty sure he's talking about the New World in general, not specific spots.

I don't think he is. He is talking about large parts of the new world. Not about every piece of land.

Not every piece of land but large parts of it
Example: The Americas except Canada

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri May 29, 2015 4:06 pm

Migas999 wrote:
Calimera II wrote:

Not every piece of land but large parts of it

And the Northern United States. And large parts of the interior of the United States. And the Falklands.

Anyway, back to colonial wars. In hindsight not worth fighting, but political ramifications for Portugal ended up being rather positive. Unfortunate that such strife had to occur to spur that change.
Last edited by Napkiraly on Fri May 29, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Postby Calimera II » Fri May 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Migas999 wrote:Not every piece of land but large parts of it

And the Northern United States. And large parts of the interior of the United States. And the Falklands.

Anyway, back to colonial wars. In hindsight not worth fighting, but political ramifications for Portugal ended up being rather positive. Unfortunate that such strife had to occur to spur that change.

I believe Migas999 is talking about coastal areas: the first one who discovered the existence of a piece of land.

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Migas999 wrote:Not every piece of land but large parts of it

The revolution was not as one-tracked and simple has many people here in portugal believe, after the revolution the political situation was quite unstable, including attempted military coups by pro-communists parts of the armed forces, but after such instability Portugal emerged a democracy and that´s whats most positive about this

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 4:09 pm

Calimera II wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:And the Northern United States. And large parts of the interior of the United States. And the Falklands.

I believe Migas999 is talking about coastal areas: the first one who discovered the existence of a piece of land.

Yes, I am

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Fri May 29, 2015 4:12 pm

Migas999 wrote:
Meryuma wrote:
Portugal discovered some stuff, but let's not overcredit ourselves...

Portugal and Spain discovered most of what was discovered during the age of discovery

Other, non-European peoples discovered most of the shaded areas there first. The map I posted shows all the land which Europeans during the Age of Discovery discovered first, i.e. were the first inhabitants of.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 4:14 pm

Meryuma wrote:
Migas999 wrote:
Portugal and Spain discovered most of what was discovered during the age of discovery

Other, non-European peoples discovered most of the shaded areas there first. The map I posted shows all the land which Europeans during the Age of Discovery discovered first, i.e. were the first inhabitants of.

But I´m not talking about being the first people to live there, I´m talking about the first to establish colonies, trading outposts, etc... and fact is Portugal was the first to claim Brasil and was the first to establish a trading outpost in India, just as Spain was the first to claim, let´s say, what is today Cuba

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Fri May 29, 2015 4:29 pm

Napkiraly wrote:Aaaand hate to break this to you, but the majority of human history, especially the most important bits - yeah happening in the Old World.

Never mind the invention of corn/maize and public education, the independent development of the number zero, writing and the concept of agriculture, the establishment and collapse of the Classic Mayan civilization, the formation of a state which many believe to have influenced the US Constitution, the building of earthern structures larger than the Great Pyramids of Giza, or the founding and expansion of one of the world's largest cities during the 1500s... it's not like those Injuns had a history or anything.

Migas999 wrote:
Meryuma wrote:

But I´m not talking about being the first people to live there, I´m talking about the first to establish colonies, trading outposts, etc... and fact is Portugal was the first to claim Brasil and was the first to establish a trading outpost in India, just as Spain was the first to claim, let´s say, what is today Cuba

"First to establish a trade post in" is very different from "first to discover".

Did the Portuguese begin intercontinental trade and global imperialism? Sure, along with Spain. But "first to discover" has different implications.
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

*puts on sunglasses*

...so here's your future

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 4:31 pm

Meryuma wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Aaaand hate to break this to you, but the majority of human history, especially the most important bits - yeah happening in the Old World.

Never mind the invention of corn/maize and public education, the independent development of the number zero, writing and the concept of agriculture, the establishment and collapse of the Classic Mayan civilization, the formation of a state which many believe to have influenced the US Constitution, the building of earthern structures larger than the Great Pyramids of Giza, or the founding and expansion of one of the world's largest cities during the 1500s... it's not like those Injuns had a history or anything.

Migas999 wrote:But I´m not talking about being the first people to live there, I´m talking about the first to establish colonies, trading outposts, etc... and fact is Portugal was the first to claim Brasil and was the first to establish a trading outpost in India, just as Spain was the first to claim, let´s say, what is today Cuba

"First to establish a trade post in" is very different from "first to discover".

Did the Portuguese begin intercontinental trade and global imperialism? Sure, along with Spain. But "first to discover" has different implications.

Then why is it named the age of discovery which everyone agrees was launched by Portugal and Spain?
Can´t deny those parts of history
Last edited by Migas999 on Fri May 29, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Fri May 29, 2015 4:41 pm

Migas999 wrote:
Meryuma wrote:

Then why is it named the age of discovery which everyone agrees was launched by Portugal and Spain?

Historical convention from a time when historians only acknowledged certain (European) perspectives.
Potarius wrote:

*puts on sunglasses*

...so here's your future

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General