NATION

PASSWORD

Portuguese Colonial Wars

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Migas999
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Portuguese Colonial Wars

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:33 pm

The Portuguese colonial war was Portugal´s attempts to suppress independence movements in Angola, Mozambique, Cape Verde, and other colonies, from 1961 to 1974 ending with the revolution of 25th of April
This thread came about because I felt that this time in Portuguese history needed to be discussed
Since OPs need to give opinion I say that this war was an exercise in futility, I mean those colonies were going to gain independence sooner or later and it took the lives of thousands of young Portuguese men and scarred and wounded tens of thousands of others
So what does everyone else in NS think?
To top it off here are some images from the war

Portuguese troops parachuting into battle in Angola
Portuguese troops embark to be shipped off to the various colonies

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri May 29, 2015 2:39 pm

Portugal and the colonies would have been better off without the wars, Portugal should have focused on itself and the colonies needed a chance to develop.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Calimera II » Fri May 29, 2015 2:41 pm

Geilinor wrote:Portugal and the colonies would have been better off without the wars, Portugal should have focused on itself and the colonies needed a chance to develop.

Many European governments thought that without their colonies they would be economically ruined. In The Netherlands people even said: ''Indië verloren, rampspoed geboren.'' (''Indonesia lost, disaster born'')

Ashworth-Attwater
Ambassador

Founded: May 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashworth-Attwater » Fri May 29, 2015 2:44 pm

It was a stupid war Portugal could have done without. On a side not, at least it was partially responsible for ending Estado Novo.
— What do you mean you don't like the Khmer Rouge?

☭ THIS MACHINE TRIGGERS FASCISTS ☭

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:45 pm

Geilinor wrote:Portugal and the colonies would have been better off without the wars, Portugal should have focused on itself and the colonies needed a chance to develop.

At the time Portugal was a dictatorship in which the dictator instilled in the people a strong sense of nationalism and pride in the "Portuguese Empire" and the colonies were at the time the only part of the Portuguese Empire left(Brasil obtained it´s independence in 1822)

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:46 pm

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:It was a stupid war Portugal could have done without. On a side not, at least it was partially responsible for ending Estado Novo.

Not partially, mostly responsible
On a side not, and with irony, many veterans of the war said that they supported Estado Novo and many still do

Ashworth-Attwater
Ambassador

Founded: May 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashworth-Attwater » Fri May 29, 2015 2:50 pm

Migas999 wrote:
Ashworth-Attwater wrote:It was a stupid war Portugal could have done without. On a side not, at least it was partially responsible for ending Estado Novo.

Not partially, mostly responsible
On a side not, and with irony, many veterans of the war said that they supported Estado Novo and many still do

It's a shame, because Portugal improved a lot after the end of Estado Novo, at least on the political sphere.
— What do you mean you don't like the Khmer Rouge?

☭ THIS MACHINE TRIGGERS FASCISTS ☭

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:52 pm

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:
Migas999 wrote:Not partially, mostly responsible

It's a shame, because Portugal improved a lot after the end of Estado Novo, at least on the political sphere.

About the Political sphere, Portugal regained a lot of international respect from finally overthrowing it´s 4 decade long dictatorship, but it did leave the country vulnerable and for a time made the country follow some very communist ways, not to mention vulnerable to a spanish invasion which was even discussed by Spain and the US

Greater Istanistan
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Istanistan » Fri May 29, 2015 2:55 pm

Population want Communism? Let them have it. And the Spanish/American invasion of Portugal would have been a ridiculous farce at best.
ASK ME ABOUT HARUHIISM

DYNASTIES ARE THEFT/IMPEACH REINHARD/YANG WENLI 2020

"I am not a champion of lost causes, but of causes not yet won." - Norman Thomas

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Greater Istanistan wrote:Population want Communism? Let them have it. And the Spanish/American invasion of Portugal would have been a ridiculous farce at best.

Nonetheless it was a danger to the country
And no it wasn´t the population that wanted communism, for a time it was actually the military which led the country for about a year after the revolution

Kanaria
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kanaria » Fri May 29, 2015 3:00 pm

Really bad idea for a 40-year-old "New State" to send guys into battle. Also, I swear they set Angola up for a civil war that COD players could take a side in.

Federal Republic of Kanaria-
57 federal entities, 863.2 million people, $40.67 trillion GDP, Gini coefficient 0.38. North Pacific, 1,500 miles west of San Fransisco.

Federal Republic of Kanaria- 57 federal entities, $154 trillion GDP, Gini coefficient 0.39. Northern Ruson, Arctic/Anican/Pacific Ocean, 69 lightyears from San Fransisco, Chi Eridani system.
Liberal
Federalist
Republican
Democrat
Statist
Cishet male

American
And silly rabbit, Kanaria's a caliphate.

The Carolines
Attaché

Founded: May 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carolines » Fri May 29, 2015 3:02 pm

I look fondly upon the Portuguese colonial exploits. They were one of the few nations brave enough to stand with South Africa.

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:04 pm

Kanaria wrote:Really bad idea for a 40-year-old "New State" to send guys into battle. Also, I swear they set Angola up for a civil war that COD players could take a side in.

Portugal descolinization was a disgrace leaving almost every country they pulled out of with no leadership, no infrastructure, only a handful of rebel groups that then gont embroiled in a civil war, the most well known being Angola
Last edited by Migas999 on Fri May 29, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frasers
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Frasers » Fri May 29, 2015 3:04 pm

The Carolines wrote:I look fondly upon the Portuguese colonial exploits. They were one of the few nations brave enough to stand with South Africa.

and edgy teenager of the day award goes to

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:07 pm

The Carolines wrote:I look fondly upon the Portuguese colonial exploits. They were one of the few nations brave enough to stand with South Africa.

What I most look fondly upon is the discovery age, Portugal was the first country to discover foreign lands and even some historians believe that the credit of discovering North America
I explain Cristovao Colombo was not in fact Spanish but really a portuguese man in service of the Spanish Crown after having been turned down by the Portuguese Crown
We discovered Brasil and India

The Carolines
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carolines » Fri May 29, 2015 3:08 pm

Migas999 wrote:

What I most look fondly upon is the discovery age, Portugal was the first country to discover foreign lands and even some historians believe that the credit of discovering North America
I explain Cristovao Colombo was not in fact Spanish but really a portuguese man in service of the Spanish Crown after having been turned down by the Portuguese Crown

You already have Ferdinand Magellan. No need to claim Columbus, who was an Italian.

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:09 pm

Frasers wrote:

I also look fondly upon the Portuguese colonial exploits too, especially the first ones, conquest of Ceuta, the bending of the Southern edge of Africa, discovery of Brasil and India, etc..
Does that make me a edgy teenager? I don´t think so I merely have pride in my nation´s history

Kanaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kanaria » Fri May 29, 2015 3:09 pm

Migas999 wrote:
Kanaria wrote:Really bad idea for a 40-year-old "New State" to send guys into battle. Also, I swear they set Angola up for a civil war that COD players could take a side in.

Portugal descolinization was a disgrace leaving almost every country they pulled out of with no leadership, no infrastructure, only a handful of rebel groups that then gont embroiled in a civil war, the most well known being Angola

True; I do blame it on the colonizers, however. They should have tried to leave stable, united governments and societies behind rather than building their riches off the backs of other people.
Migas999 wrote:

What? Columbus was Italian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus wrote:Christopher Columbus (Italian: Cristoforo Colombo; Spanish: Cristóbal Colón; Portuguese: Cristóvão Colombo; born between 31 October 1450 and 30 October 1451, died 20 May 1506) was an Italian explorer, navigator, and colonizer, citizen of the Republic of Genoa.

57 federal entities, 863.2 million people, $40.67 trillion GDP, Gini coefficient 0.38. North Pacific, 1,500 miles west of San Fransisco.

Federal Republic of Kanaria- 57 federal entities, $154 trillion GDP, Gini coefficient 0.39. Northern Ruson, Arctic/Anican/Pacific Ocean, 69 lightyears from San Fransisco, Chi Eridani system.
Liberal
Federalist
Republican
Democrat
Statist
Cishet male

American

The Carolines
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carolines » Fri May 29, 2015 3:09 pm

Frasers wrote:

Supporting one of Africa's most successful states is edgy?

Frasers
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Frasers » Fri May 29, 2015 3:10 pm

Migas999 wrote:What I most look fondly upon is the discovery age, Portugal was the first country to discover foreign lands

people have been discovering foreign lands from the moment they decided to leave the place they lived in

Migas999 wrote:and even some historians believe that the credit of discovering North America

no that would be the native north americans

Migas999 wrote:I explain Cristovao Colombo was not in fact Spanish but really a portuguese man in service of the Spanish Crown after having been turned down by the Portuguese Crown

no nobody knows where columbus was from

Migas999 wrote:We discovered Brasil and India

Brazil was discovered by native Brazilians and India was known to Europeans literally thousands of years before Vasco da Gama got there.

Migas999
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Migas999 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:10 pm

The Carolines wrote:
Migas999 wrote:What I most look fondly upon is the discovery age, Portugal was the first country to discover foreign lands and even some historians believe that the credit of discovering North America

You already have Ferdinand Magellan. No need to claim Columbus, who was an Italian.

A document of Castille describes Colombos as an portuguese man, there are many doubts about his true place of birth and some historians believe that he was portuguese

Frasers
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Frasers » Fri May 29, 2015 3:11 pm

The Carolines wrote:Supporting one of Africa's most successful states is edgy?

supporting colonialism and racist oppressive states is exceptionally edgy and you know it but i won't be able to talk you out of it I'll just have to wait til you grow up because you generally lose the retarded edgy opinions you held as a teenager as you get older.

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Fri May 29, 2015 3:11 pm

Migas999 wrote:
Greater Istanistan wrote:Population want Communism? Let them have it. And the Spanish/American invasion of Portugal would have been a ridiculous farce at best.

Nonetheless it was a danger to the country
And no it wasn´t the population that wanted communism, for a time it was actually the military which led the country for about a year after the revolution

1) prove they were communist
2) tell me more about the spanish invasion plans
3) please stop defending dictatorships with the most cliched line in the book
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Kanaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kanaria » Fri May 29, 2015 3:12 pm

Migas999 wrote:
Frasers wrote:

I also look fondly upon the Portuguese colonial exploits too, especially the first ones, conquest of Ceuta, the bending of the Southern edge of Africa, discovery of Brasil and India, etc..
Does that make me a edgy teenager? I don´t think so I merely have pride in my nation´s history

I don't think so either.
The Carolines wrote:
Frasers wrote:

By "brave", you mean "anticommunist/racist", don't you? South Africa was oppressing the majority of its' bloody population.
Now that's enough of this threadjack. You can start a new thread on the matter, but let's not clutter this one up any further. This is about Portugal trying to hold on to its' colonies in the 70s and failing.

Liberal
Federalist
Republican
Democrat
Statist
Cishet male

American

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Fri May 29, 2015 3:12 pm

The Carolines wrote:
Frasers wrote:

supporting apartheid is edgy yes
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General