NATION

PASSWORD

BREAKING: Several dead in Swiss shooting

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Steamtopia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

BREAKING: Several dead in Swiss shooting

Postby Steamtopia » Sun May 10, 2015 12:06 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32680212

No info yet. I'll keep you updated.
TG me. Just do it.

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Sun May 10, 2015 12:09 am

The shooting took place in Wuerenlingen at a residential building. Police have found bodies outside and inside the building.
TG me. Just do it.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Sun May 10, 2015 12:10 am

Very sad. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

New Brava
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Brava » Sun May 10, 2015 12:12 am

That's terrible, we need change in the world. Learn to love eachother! :)

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Sun May 10, 2015 12:12 am

All bodies found so far are adults.
TG me. Just do it.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sun May 10, 2015 12:29 am

Does this show how peaceful the Swiss are? The story would not be news in, say, Chicago on any given day.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sun May 10, 2015 12:31 am

Pope Joan wrote:Does this show how peaceful the Swiss are? The story would not be news in, say, Chicago on any given day.

New York is a better comparison - almost the same population. Or four Chicagos, if you sell the Canadians a fairly large portion of Chicago before you clone it.
Last edited by The Grim Reaper on Sun May 10, 2015 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sun May 10, 2015 12:35 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:Does this show how peaceful the Swiss are? The story would not be news in, say, Chicago on any given day.

New York is a better comparison - almost the same population. Or four Chicagos, if you sell the Canadians a fairly large portion of Chicago before you clone it.

I just chose Chicago because I lived there for four years, and it is significantly more dangerous these days than NYC.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Fascesia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fascesia » Sun May 10, 2015 12:47 am

This stuff isn't happening much in Switzerland, the only criminals the police wants to find are mostly marijuana dealers
Correct pronounciation is [fʰaskɛ'sia]
INFP personality. Seems like I'm pretty emotional
Other personal stuff

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Sun May 10, 2015 1:06 am

Definitely an unusual happening in Switzerland.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun May 10, 2015 1:55 am

Presumably this is another one of those soldiers who has lost it and goes on a rampage. It's happened before.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Sun May 10, 2015 2:04 am

Costa Fierro wrote:Presumably this is another one of those soldiers who has lost it and goes on a rampage. It's happened before.

What about this leads you to believe a PTSD plagued or otherwise distressed soldier caused this?
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun May 10, 2015 2:16 am

Costa Fierro wrote:Presumably this is another one of those soldiers who has lost it and goes on a rampage. It's happened before.

Yes, because one of the most peaceful countries in the world, who haven't been to war since the early 1800's, has remained neutral for over 200 years, and has a great healthcare system, has soldiers with PTSD or some other mental condition running around in the outside world without proper treatment...

Ya I'll believe it.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Sun May 10, 2015 2:32 am

In.. Switzerland?
TG me. Just do it.

New DeCapito
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New DeCapito » Sun May 10, 2015 2:36 am

Steamtopia wrote:

In.. Switzerland?

My thoughts exactly. It seems like a really safe place.
Liberal, egalitarian. Correct me if I become too outspoken.

Conservative Values
Envoy

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Conservative Values » Sun May 10, 2015 2:38 am

*nods* The U.S. media is really known for underplaying mass shootings and not giving the perpetrator 1-2 weeks of wall to wall coverage.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sun May 10, 2015 2:40 am

As bad as shootings in American and Chicago in particular can be, I think there's a good chance that a shooting with several fatalities would make the national news.

I wonder how conservatives will spin this. I've seen conservatives hold up Switzerland as a model in terms of guns.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Fascesia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fascesia » Sun May 10, 2015 3:14 am

New haven america wrote:

Yes, because one of the most peaceful countries in the world, who haven't been to war since the early 1800's, has remained neutral for over 200 years, and has a great healthcare system, has soldiers with PTSD or some other mental condition running around in the outside world without proper treatment...

Ya I'll believe it.

How would a soldier get PTSD without being involved in a war or military operation?
And maybe it was some family feud. Albanians were killed not to long ago and it was also a family feud
Correct pronounciation is [fʰaskɛ'sia]
INFP personality. Seems like I'm pretty emotional
Other personal stuff

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun May 10, 2015 3:18 am

Switzerland is one of the last places i would expect to hear about something like this, still a sad event.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Sun May 10, 2015 3:21 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Switzerland is one of the last places i would expect to hear about something like this, still a sad event.

My thoughts exactly.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Sun May 10, 2015 3:59 am

BBC now reporting it was not terrorism related.
TG me. Just do it.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun May 10, 2015 4:03 am

Yeah, because you're such a psychic. :roll: Of what happens in Switzerland. *rolls eyes again* When the Swiss police themselves aren't even clear yet. *rolls eyes yet again*

Steamtopia wrote:BBC now reporting it was not terrorism related.

I'm not sure whether that's good news or not. It's like "at least terrorism didn't take root in CH" but on the other hand "why did this happen at all in a perfectly calm country and a perfectly calm town?".

A really sad loss of lives nevertheless.
Last edited by Elke and Elba on Sun May 10, 2015 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Rough Romans
Political Columnist

Founded: May 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Rough Romans » Sun May 10, 2015 4:05 am

New Brava wrote:That's terrible, we need change in the world. Learn to love eachother! :)

The idealism is flowing stronk in this one.
100% misogynist, 100% Roman, 0% serious

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Sun May 10, 2015 4:06 am

Rough Romans wrote:
New Brava wrote:That's terrible, we need change in the world. Learn to love eachother! :)

The idealism is flowing stronk in this one.

What's wrong with that anyway
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Rough Romans
Political Columnist

Founded: May 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Rough Romans » Sun May 10, 2015 4:07 am

Jute wrote:
Rough Romans wrote:The idealism is flowing stronk in this one.

What's wrong with that anyway

Did I say there is anything wrong with it?
100% misogynist, 100% Roman, 0% serious

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General