NATION

PASSWORD

LGBT Rights & Issues Thread, V3

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon May 16, 2016 1:29 pm

Noraika wrote:
Ithqington wrote:Hey Anyone, What do you think about Caitlyn Jenner? :eyebrow:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36166590

In general, I don't care for her much at all. Both in her being some sort of 'spokesperson' for the transgender community, which she does very poorly I feel, and also in her politics regarding all sorts of topics. In all honesty, I think that the transgender community could do far better in regards to finding a spokesperson who represents transgender issues, and is the very least empathetic towards them.

Indeed. Really, I think the best spokesperson for us is Laverne Cox. She's an amazing actress, charming, intelligent, classy, and very good at countering accidental transphobia.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Renewed Imperial Germany
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Renewed Imperial Germany » Mon May 16, 2016 1:31 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Noraika wrote:In general, I don't care for her much at all. Both in her being some sort of 'spokesperson' for the transgender community, which she does very poorly I feel, and also in her politics regarding all sorts of topics. In all honesty, I think that the transgender community could do far better in regards to finding a spokesperson who represents transgender issues, and is the very least empathetic towards them.

Indeed. Really, I think the best spokesperson for us is Laverne Cox. She's an amazing actress, charming, intelligent, classy, and very good at countering accidental transphobia.

Lavrene Cox is being interviewed by Megyn Kelly. Now, the last time I saw Megyn Kelly talk about anything trans related, my face cringed so hard I thought it was going to fall off. So, obviously, I will not be watching that special.
Bailey Quinn, Nice ta meet ya! (Female Pronouns Please)
Also known as Harley
NS Stats are not used here.
<3 Alex's NS Wife <3
Normal is a setting on the dryer

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon May 16, 2016 1:43 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:... But only Thai people identify as ladyboys. It's a very culturally specific thing, and I would guess that the vast majority of non-Thai transfeminine people wouldn't appreciate the term at all. I know I wouldn't.

Coincidentally, there's something I've been wondering. Would, for instance, an Indian hijra and a Western transwoman have the same identity? If I, for instance, went to Thailand or India, would it make sense to refer to myself as a ladyboy or hijra? Just something I was curious about.

There's an interesting, yet only tangentially-related item. In New York, you have hero sandwiches. In New Orleans, they're called poboys. In various other places, they're called subs, hoagies, etc. But yet, the basic concept is the same.

I feel that this is basically the same idea behind all of these different cultural labels for transwomen. Ladyboys, Hijras, Two-Spirits, or transwomen, the concept is the same.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Mon May 16, 2016 1:51 pm

Renewed Imperial Germany wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Lavrene Cox is being interviewed by Megyn Kelly. Now, the last time I saw Megyn Kelly talk about anything trans related, my face cringed so hard I thought it was going to fall off. So, obviously, I will not be watching that special.

Heh. On that note, has anyone else seen the round table Chris Hayes did a while back about trans people, centring on Caitlyn Jenner? It had no trans people, and one guy was there because he knew about sports -- no LGBT connections at all. So cringeworthy.

Grenartia wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:
Coincidentally, there's something I've been wondering. Would, for instance, an Indian hijra and a Western transwoman have the same identity? If I, for instance, went to Thailand or India, would it make sense to refer to myself as a ladyboy or hijra? Just something I was curious about.

There's an interesting, yet only tangentially-related item. In New York, you have hero sandwiches. In New Orleans, they're called poboys. In various other places, they're called subs, hoagies, etc. But yet, the basic concept is the same.

I feel that this is basically the same idea behind all of these different cultural labels for transwomen. Ladyboys, Hijras, Two-Spirits, or transwomen, the concept is the same.

That's actually a really interesting observation, and I would say that it's probably pretty spot-on. Now, obviously I can't speak for any of those groups, but I feel that a lot of them would agree that trans women are their modern, Western equivalent.

Although I know that some Two Spirit people see their genders as non-binary (although often without using that term specifically). They're a very diverse group. Each time I've met a Two Spirit person (I've met and heard speak a few, because in Saskatchewan, where I live, the First Nations population is pretty large in comparison to other provinces, and I go to LGBT and cultural events, both of which attract Two Spirit folks), it's been a pleasure, and I've learned something interesting.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Renewed Imperial Germany
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Renewed Imperial Germany » Mon May 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:

Heh. On that note, has anyone else seen the round table Chris Hayes did a while back about trans people, centring on Caitlyn Jenner? It had no trans people, and one guy was there because he knew about sports -- no LGBT connections at all. So cringeworthy.

Grenartia wrote:

That's actually a really interesting observation, and I would say that it's probably pretty spot-on. Now, obviously I can't speak for any of those groups, but I feel that a lot of them would agree that trans women are their modern, Western equivalent.

Although I know that some Two Spirit people see their genders as non-binary (although often without using that term specifically). They're a very diverse group. Each time I've met a Two Spirit person (I've met and heard speak a few, because in Saskatchewan, where I live, the First Nations population is pretty large in comparison to other provinces, and I go to LGBT and cultural events, both of which attract Two Spirit folks), it's been a pleasure, and I've learned something interesting.

Some "Kathooey" (ladyboys) also see themselves as non-binary, as do some Hijrahs.
Also known as Harley
<3 Alex's NS Wife <3

Arachaea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arachaea » Mon May 16, 2016 1:56 pm

I myself am gay.

But I guess I'm kind of lucky as I live in a rather gay-friendly area of England so while I have experienced homophobia, it hasn't been on a big scale.
The Principality of Arachaea

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Mon May 16, 2016 1:58 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:Heh. On that note, has anyone else seen the round table Chris Hayes did a while back about trans people, centring on Caitlyn Jenner? It had no trans people, and one guy was there because he knew about sports -- no LGBT connections at all. So cringeworthy.

Some "Kathooey" (ladyboys) also see themselves as non-binary, as do some Hijrahs.

I think that has a lot to do with different cultures having different socially constructed genders based on masculinity and femininity.

Renewed Imperial Germany
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Renewed Imperial Germany » Mon May 16, 2016 2:07 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:

I think that has a lot to do with different cultures having different socially constructed genders based on masculinity and femininity.

Also, with Hijrahs (I may be spelling it wrong, don't get mad at me :P), it isn't all voluntary. While some view themselves as nonbinary, society as a whole oftentimes views them all as nonbinary, even the ones who consider themselves purely female.
Also known as Harley
<3 Alex's NS Wife <3

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon May 16, 2016 2:14 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:

Grenartia wrote:

Who is Chris Hayes?

Also, yeah, I know that those labels also include non-binary people. I'm pretty sure, especially for Two-Spirit, that its just the cultural umbrella term for transgender.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Mon May 16, 2016 5:29 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:

This. ^ Essentially, I think, gender is partially based on neurology, partially on self-expression, and partially on cultural conceptions.

Grenartia wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:Heh. On that note, has anyone else seen the round table Chris Hayes did a while back about trans people, centring on Caitlyn Jenner? It had no trans people, and one guy was there because he knew about sports -- no LGBT connections at all. So cringeworthy.

1. Who is Chris Hayes?

2. Also, yeah, I know that those labels also include non-binary people. I'm pretty sure, especially for Two-Spirit, that its just the cultural umbrella term for transgender.

1. Host on MSNBC. Here's the thing, if anyone feels like cringing for 11 minutes.

2. Indeed. I mean, it's a bit more nuanced I think, because some cis LGB people (especially GNC folks) also identify as Two Spirit, but I think that's the gist of it.

Fabulous Rainicorns
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fabulous Rainicorns » Mon May 16, 2016 5:52 pm

I think I'm going to go with Jay Alexander for my name. I think it fits me better than Jakob Allister.
Call me Jake or Jay| Pronouns: he/him/his
HYDRA PFC | The Chaos Brigade PFC

Never let them take the light behind your eyes - My Chemical Romance

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Mon May 16, 2016 6:48 pm

Fabulous Rainicorns wrote:I think I'm going to go with Jay Alexander for my name. I think it fits me better than Jakob Allister.

That's a cool name. I like it on you. :)

The New Falkland Islands
Envoy

Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Falkland Islands » Mon May 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Fabulous Rainicorns wrote:I think I'm going to go with Jay Alexander for my name. I think it fits me better than Jakob Allister.

That's a cool name. I like it on you. :)

Coolio. Can I call you Jax?
-Valerie Lockhart, Ambassador to The World Assembly
(On the behalfs of Cameron Livingston, Minister of Foreign Relations, of Wu Zedong, Premier, and of The New Falkland Islands.)
Yes, my nation reflects my political views accurately. Class M11
("They/Them/Their/Theirs" Pronouns) ⚧ LGBTQIA [/b]
https://libraryofbabel.info/

Fabulous Rainicorns
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fabulous Rainicorns » Mon May 16, 2016 7:13 pm

The New Falkland Islands wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:That's a cool name. I like it on you. :)

Coolio. Can I call you Jax?

If you really want

Just realized I posted in the wrong thread. Meant to post that in the trans thread since I rarely check this one anymore.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon May 16, 2016 7:15 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:

This. ^ Essentially, I think, gender is partially based on neurology, partially on self-expression, and partially on cultural conceptions.

Grenartia wrote:
1. Who is Chris Hayes?

2. Also, yeah, I know that those labels also include non-binary people. I'm pretty sure, especially for Two-Spirit, that its just the cultural umbrella term for transgender.

1. Host on MSNBC. Here's the thing, if anyone feels like cringing for 11 minutes.

2. Indeed. I mean, it's a bit more nuanced I think, because some cis LGB people (especially GNC folks) also identify as Two Spirit, but I think that's the gist of it.

1. Lagged the shit out of my computer, I couldn't even click play.

2. IIRC, GNC people fall under our umbrella, too. They often do face the same sorts of shit we do, so I don't really see any reason to exclude them from the community.

It is a good name.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Mon May 16, 2016 7:17 pm

Hearing one's father speak of how "trans people are mentally ill" and "they won't be the other gender no atter what they do" is so much fun, especially when said father unknowingly has a trans child...
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Fabulous Rainicorns
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fabulous Rainicorns » Mon May 16, 2016 7:18 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:This. ^ Essentially, I think, gender is partially based on neurology, partially on self-expression, and partially on cultural conceptions.

2. IIRC, GNC people fall under our umbrella, too. They often do face the same sorts of shit we do, so I don't really see any reason to exclude them from the community.

It is a good name.

I may or may not have chosen Alexander as my middle name based on my favorite musical.

Renewed Imperial Germany
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Renewed Imperial Germany » Mon May 16, 2016 7:27 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:Hearing one's father speak of how "trans people are mentally ill" and "they won't be the other gender no atter what they do" is so much fun, especially when said father unknowingly has a trans child...

I know that feeling. Exactly. Except throw in my mother saying that and my father suggesting that transpeople are likely rapists cause "They're already weirdos." Yeah....
Also known as Harley
<3 Alex's NS Wife <3

Sungai Pusat
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sungai Pusat » Mon May 16, 2016 7:27 pm

Fabulous Rainicorns wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

It is a good name.

I may or may not have chosen Alexander as my middle name based on my favorite musical.

I'm supposing Hamilton might've been too on the nose? :P
Now mostly a politik discuss account.

Sungai Pusat
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sungai Pusat » Mon May 16, 2016 7:28 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:Hearing one's father speak of how "trans people are mentally ill" and "they won't be the other gender no atter what they do" is so much fun, especially when said father unknowingly has a trans child...

I know that feeling. Exactly. Except throw in my mother saying that and my father suggesting that transpeople are likely rapists cause "They're already weirdos." Yeah....

What a smooth transition: Weirdos to rapists

About as smooth as a climb up K2.

Fabulous Rainicorns
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fabulous Rainicorns » Mon May 16, 2016 7:30 pm

Sungai Pusat wrote:

I'm supposing Hamilton might've been too on the nose? :P

Maybe a little.

The Hobbesian Metaphysician
Minister

Founded: Sep 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hobbesian Metaphysician » Mon May 16, 2016 7:30 pm

Sungai Pusat wrote:

What a smooth transition: Weirdos to rapists

Not necessarily the rapist or paedophile trope used to be exploited a lot towards gay men. Now its found a new face to use.
I am just going to lay it out here, I am going to be very blunt.

Sungai Pusat
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sungai Pusat » Mon May 16, 2016 7:41 pm

The Hobbesian Metaphysician wrote:
Sungai Pusat wrote:What a smooth transition: Weirdos to rapists

Not necessarily the rapist or paedophile trope used to be exploited a lot towards gay men. Now its found a new face to use.

I was referring to the comparison between weirdos and rapists, actually. ^^'

But yeah, same old same old, except supplant with transgendered people as opposed to gay people.

Sungai Pusat wrote:I'm supposing Hamilton might've been too on the nose? :P

Maybe a little.

Hmm... how about Manuel?

Fabulous Rainicorns
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fabulous Rainicorns » Mon May 16, 2016 7:50 pm

Sungai Pusat wrote:
The Hobbesian Metaphysician wrote:

I was referring to the comparison between weirdos and rapists, actually. ^^'

But yeah, same old same old, except supplant with transgendered people as opposed to gay people.

Maybe a little.

Hmm... how about Manuel?

Not really what I'm looking for. I need to just pick a thing and stick with it so I can start filling out papers.

New confederate ramenia
Minister

Founded: Oct 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New confederate ramenia » Mon May 16, 2016 7:57 pm

What's GNC?
probando

PreviousNext

Advertisement