NATION

PASSWORD

No Party States...?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Hanging Garden
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

No Party States...?

Postby Hanging Garden » Fri May 01, 2015 12:59 am

This is a followup to a thread I started a few days ago, regarding one-party states.

One of the issues/subjects raised was about a state with no parties. In short, the logical conclusion to communism. However, several questions have to be considered.

-How would it be possible after the "dictatorship of the proletariat" or whatever period of consolidation?
-How would life be like under such a system, where- in its rawest form- it would essentially be laissez-faire rural capitalism?
-What about those who were formerly in power? What would their position be like in this society?
The new Hanging Garden has stood up- let power come to the people.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri May 01, 2015 1:09 am

How would YOU answer those questions?
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

New Skaaneland
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Skaaneland » Fri May 01, 2015 2:49 am

I don't think it'd help to have a communist dictatorship as a prequel to a society free of governmental oppression, but sure, it'd be nice to have a society without a political system of authority.
Undo the Taylor report!
Club over group. Club over country. Club over race. Club over sex. Club over God.

OOOOO HELSINGBORGS IF OOOOO

Havenburgh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Havenburgh » Fri May 01, 2015 2:58 am

What you are explaining is Anarchy. Or, if you do it properly a social libertarian night watchmen state. Power would be dislolved in communities. And class would be abolished. We would be considered as human beings, not rich or poor. And the way a certain goverment would work is that every town, borough, small city, village, commune, whatever Peace of civilization you have would have open to all town meetings Every month. A person is chosen to represent them, and that person would meet with the other representatives from other sects of society. Big corporations would also be ruled by the workers. Say each Google building was run by the workers, and a representative from each building would get together and make informative choices. Of course, all these choices would need a approval rating from the workers as well. Anyway, the ex politicians would no longer have their jobs as power is in the hands of the all. So, they would become the all. They would be treated no differently. They would be asked to get a job. If they dont, oh well that is their decision. They are like every other member of society.

Ladies and gentleman, I just explained a utopia.

New Skaaneland
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Skaaneland » Fri May 01, 2015 4:38 am

So just because there would be no political parties that would necessarily mean that things should be ruled through town meatings, with unspecified power structures? I don't buy into that.
Undo the Taylor report!
Club over group. Club over country. Club over race. Club over sex. Club over God.

OOOOO HELSINGBORGS IF OOOOO

Havenburgh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Havenburgh » Sun May 03, 2015 6:53 pm

New Skaaneland wrote:So just because there would be no political parties that would necessarily mean that things should be ruled through town meatings, with unspecified power structures? I don't buy into that.

You don't have to. That's just my personal opinion. Your entitled to have your own as well.

Hanging Garden
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanging Garden » Mon May 04, 2015 9:21 am

Personally- and to keep the slow ball rolling- I think it would not be a positive thing. I think that it just would not work, given how consolidated the one-party state would be. I think people need to be led by someone above them. It is their destiny.

Greater Istanistan
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Istanistan » Mon May 04, 2015 10:13 am

Simply forget about the Marxist narrative of "dictatorship of the proletariat" or whatever and progress directly from the present system to the liberated state.

Then there's no need for a ruling class.
ASK ME ABOUT HARUHIISM

DYNASTIES ARE THEFT/IMPEACH REINHARD/YANG WENLI 2020

"I am not a champion of lost causes, but of causes not yet won." - Norman Thomas

New Werpland
Senator

Founded: Dec 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Mon May 04, 2015 10:14 am

A state with no parties, would be a state without binge drinking teenagers.
Last edited by New Werpland on Mon May 04, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon May 04, 2015 10:42 am

If there were no political parties, then the elected delegates would have to elect a head of government and the cabinet positions.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon May 04, 2015 11:02 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:How would YOU answer those questions?

Well yes how would you?
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Mon May 04, 2015 11:26 am

Wikipedia to the rescue!

In truth, most states (applying the term loosely) throughout history have been "no-party states," as what we would recognise organised political parties are a fairly recent phenomenon (though with antecedents going back centuries in the form of various sorts of competing political factions).
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Mon May 04, 2015 11:46 am

Havenburgh wrote:What you are explaining is Anarchy. Or, if you do it properly a social libertarian night watchmen state. Power would be dislolved in communities. And class would be abolished. We would be considered as human beings, not rich or poor. And the way a certain goverment would work is that every town, borough, small city, village, commune, whatever Peace of civilization you have would have open to all town meetings Every month. A person is chosen to represent them, and that person would meet with the other representatives from other sects of society. Big corporations would also be ruled by the workers. Say each Google building was run by the workers, and a representative from each building would get together and make informative choices. Of course, all these choices would need a approval rating from the workers as well. Anyway, the ex politicians would no longer have their jobs as power is in the hands of the all. So, they would become the all. They would be treated no differently. They would be asked to get a job. If they dont, oh well that is their decision. They are like every other member of society.

He said state with no parties
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon May 04, 2015 11:57 am

I lived in an intentional community for four years. There were no parties, no official power blocs.

But there were dozens of unofficial and very influential cliques. If you wanted to, you could spend all your time and energy sucking up to people who could put in a good word for you.

There were many good aspects to the community, but their polity was not among them.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Hanging Garden
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanging Garden » Mon May 04, 2015 3:01 pm

Pope Joan wrote:I lived in an intentional community for four years. There were no parties, no official power blocs.

But there were dozens of unofficial and very influential cliques. If you wanted to, you could spend all your time and energy sucking up to people who could put in a good word for you.

There were many good aspects to the community, but their polity was not among them.

This is what I mean: nothing changes.

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Mon May 04, 2015 3:29 pm

Havenburgh wrote:What you are explaining is Anarchy. Or, if you do it properly a social libertarian night watchmen state. Power would be dislolved in communities. And class would be abolished. We would be considered as human beings, not rich or poor. And the way a certain goverment would work is that every town, borough, small city, village, commune, whatever Peace of civilization you have would have open to all town meetings Every month. A person is chosen to represent them, and that person would meet with the other representatives from other sects of society. Big corporations would also be ruled by the workers. Say each Google building was run by the workers, and a representative from each building would get together and make informative choices. Of course, all these choices would need a approval rating from the workers as well. Anyway, the ex politicians would no longer have their jobs as power is in the hands of the all. So, they would become the all. They would be treated no differently. They would be asked to get a job. If they dont, oh well that is their decision. They are like every other member of society.

Sounds more like a dystopia.
Second Finn, after Imm
........Геть Росію.........
Україна вільна і єдина
From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.
Beholder's Lair - a hobby blog
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.
Always open to TGs. Pro/Against

Ceterum autem censeo Putinem esse delendum

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon May 04, 2015 3:35 pm

Uh, anything before 17th century England.

Hanging Garden
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanging Garden » Mon May 04, 2015 3:36 pm

Merizoc wrote:Uh, anything before 17th century England.

Why?

United Russian Soviet States
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian Soviet States » Mon May 04, 2015 4:11 pm

I am not a big fan of political parties. They tend to divide rather than unite. We could all work together well in a no party state.
This nation does not represent my views.
I stand with Rand.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.
:Member of the United National Group:

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon May 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Hanging Garden wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Uh, anything before 17th century England.

Why?

The first political parties emerged after the Glorious Revolution.

Vedastia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vedastia » Mon May 04, 2015 6:07 pm

Hanging Garden wrote:a state with no parties. In short, the logical conclusion to communism.
Hanging Garden wrote:state
Hanging Garden wrote:logical conclusion to communism
Uh... I thought that the "logical conclusion to communism" was that there would be no state.
Jan van der Stel, MP for Ouderkerk in the NS Parliament
Leader of the National Freedom Party - Freedom for Our People
Dinake wrote:
Zoice wrote:The far right is truly to blame. The left may lose ground to them, but they wouldn't be losing ground if there wasn't the far right in the first place calling for batshit insanity.
That's like saying "blockbuster wouldn't be losing ground to netflix if there wasn't any netflix".
Major-Tom wrote:
Risottia wrote:Reality has a left-wing bias.
God, if I had a nickel for every time I heard some smug internet warrior say this...

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Mon May 04, 2015 6:53 pm

If you want to see a no-party state, try a consensus government. Works well oop north.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Vandario
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vandario » Mon May 04, 2015 7:33 pm

I would consider a no party state not as communism but one of logic, just run for a position, let people know your personal values ideas, and plans, run against others, and then voters vote for who THEY think is best, not because of a political party or some fancy name, or blind loyalty, where people simply vote for who they think is best, and research the runner some, to see if they are the type of person they'd want in office, I've just personally never under stood political party's period, but I will say I know know thats a VERY native way to look at things, not everyone will do that, and for some reason it seems to not be able to be that way.
To me political parties almost...over complicate things? think thats the best way to put it.
Last edited by Vandario on Mon May 04, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You are a: Right-Leaning Authoritarian Isolationist Nativist Traditionalist
Collectivism score: -33%
Authoritarianism score: 67%
Internationalism score: -50%
Tribalism score: 67%
Liberalism score: -33%
Liberalism score: 0%

Political Compass: http://i.imgur.com/cbmUtGN.png Updated Feb 11th 2017
Political Objective: http://i.imgur.com/JO0drir.png Updated Nov 28th 2016
8 Values Test: http://i.imgur.com/v428sL7.png posted May 7 2017
Another Political Test: http://i.imgur.com/PkMqvzl.png
Nolan Chart: http://i.imgur.com/YB5TYbC.png

A Free Society is an Armed Society
Say no to Social Media kids. NS Stats are kind of silly, I follow my own.

Novsvacro
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Novsvacro » Mon May 04, 2015 7:37 pm

Hanging Garden wrote:Personally- and to keep the slow ball rolling- I think it would not be a positive thing. I think that it just would not work, given how consolidated the one-party state would be. I think people need to be led by someone above them. It is their destiny.

I agree about it being unachievable through a state. That's why the revolution must first abolish the state completely and dismantle capitalism as quick as possible so that we can achieve communism. That's anarcho-communism.
Cuando el amor llega así, de esta manera,
uno no tiene la culpa
quererse no tiene horario
ni fecha en el calendario

Genetics undergrad. Basketball analytics nerd.

Hanging Garden
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanging Garden » Mon May 04, 2015 11:45 pm

Novsvacro wrote:
Hanging Garden wrote:Personally- and to keep the slow ball rolling- I think it would not be a positive thing. I think that it just would not work, given how consolidated the one-party state would be. I think people need to be led by someone above them. It is their destiny.

I agree about it being unachievable through a state. That's why the revolution must first abolish the state completely and dismantle capitalism as quick as possible so that we can achieve communism. That's anarcho-communism.

Thing is, I do not want a revolution period.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General