NATION

PASSWORD

Large Earthquake Hits Nepal

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Autrael
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Autrael » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:42 am

Kibbehstan wrote:
Mienon wrote:It most certainly will. Have you seen images? The parts of the capital are a rubble heap. 700 (731, to be exact) is just the confirmed death toll, when they dig out the rubble the number will be much higher. Plus the aftershocks. ANd, of course, I'm sure the few aid camps will be extremely crowded, since the airport was damaged.

At least 876 people according to the BBC.

At least 900 according to Wikipedia. :eek:
Follow me on Google+! https://plus.google.com/u/0/+TrulsRyper ... amoa/posts
Other nation: Terrad. Please read my factbooks. There are a handful of places in the UAAR that don't discriminate towards NTs whatsoever, but you can now go anywhere in the UAAR you wish. Just prepare for discrimination if you're traveling without an autistic person accompanying you.
Eesihl Republic declared in Arabia, UAAR recognizes. (Eesihl stands for East Egypt Sinai & Islamic Holy Land)
AOF created in area between Bosnia, Serbia, and Croatia. The group is trying to declare an autismocratic state in the area.
Terrad is openly considering surrender to the UAAR.

United Russian Soviet States
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian Soviet States » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:44 am

That is too bad.
This nation does not represent my views.
I stand with Rand.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.
:Member of the United National Group:

Playing In The Water
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Playing In The Water » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:15 am

This is incredible, in all the worst ways. I can't even imagine where the final death toll will wind up; on top of that, I really don't want to try. Nepal can't have been prepared for an earthquake like this, they strike so rarely there. The shock that's going to result from this is going to hit hard.

And all this, too, after last year's tragedy on Everest. Entire communities were hurt by that avalanche, losing fathers and brothers and sons, many of whom were primary breadwinners, and temporarily hamstringing the entire Everest tourism industry in the process. That was an important source of income. And now there are more deaths on that mountain.

This disaster, now - a thousand times worse - comes following on the coattails of that avalanche. Sinto muito, Nepal.

Right now, all that can be done, is. It has to be, really. Searching for survivors, stabilizing and treating the injured, and getting necessities into place to support the rest of the affected population. I've been made aware that the UK and US have already pledged to assist, and that France has offered any help it can, but I would feel much better if China could step up and make a similar promise. As Nepal's northern neighbour - and being highly experienced with earthquakes and other similar disasters - the PRC could be in and helping Nepal's disaster area with highly-trained and well-funded teams well before anyone else.

As somebody recently burned out of their own home, what I can say is that the community will rally in Nepal. Family, friends, and even complete strangers will step up to help those who most need it. The generosity of people when you've been pushed to the ropes is incredible; it's astounding, and I've no doubt that the Nepalese will firmly look out for their own, right from the moment the quake ended.

That said, we're all neighbours on this blue ball of ours; there are ways that we can helptoo.
Terraliberty wrote:What do you call an abortion in Prague? A cancelled Czech!

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:19 am

Death toll is above 1000 now, will be climbing.
The US has said it is sending a disaster response team to Nepal and has released an initial $1m (£0.7m) to address immediate needs, according to the US aid agency USAid.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has sent a military transport plane with three tonnes of supplies and a 40-strong disaster response team to Nepal. Officials said three more planes would follow, carrying a mobile hospital and further relief teams.
Pakistan's Prime Minister, Nawaz Sharif, has pledged help for the Nepalese authorities.
UK Prime Minister David Cameron has said the UK "will do all" it can to help in the aftermath of the earthquake, and French President Francois Hollande said France was ready to respond to any request for aid and assistance.
A national police spokesman told the BBC that more than 1,150 people had died in the quake.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32467986

New Werpland
Senator

Founded: Dec 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:25 am

United Russian Soviet States wrote:That is too bad.

I agree.

Kibbehstan
Envoy

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kibbehstan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:28 am

Wikipedia says 1,457 dead in Nepal, 34 in India, 12 in China and 2 in Bangladesh for a total of 1,505 fatalities thus far.
Respublica Cubesicus
Laboremus pro Patria
IIWikiPuppet's IIWikiFactbook

THIS NATION DOES NOT REPRESENT MY PERSONAL VIEWS

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:33 am

Libacur wrote:Its ok guys only 700 people died.

700 is a lot of deaths when 84 was enough to ban auto racing on circuits in Switzerland.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:36 am

Kibbehstan wrote:Wikipedia says 1,457 dead in Nepal, 34 in India, 12 in China and 2 in Bangladesh for a total of 1,505 fatalities thus far.

Shit. If that hit all the way over in Bangladesh, then that's a huge fucking earthquake.

Kibbehstan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kibbehstan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:43 am

Merizoc wrote:
Kibbehstan wrote:Wikipedia says 1,457 dead in Nepal, 34 in India, 12 in China and 2 in Bangladesh for a total of 1,505 fatalities thus far.

Shit. If that hit all the way over in Bangladesh, then that's a huge fucking earthquake.

It also caused an avalanche at Mount Everest killing ≥13 people.
Respublica Cubesicus
Laboremus pro Patria

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:52 am

My thoughts and condolences lie with the people in Nepal and Bangladesh. Here's to hoping that governmental authorities and organizations can get through the rubble fast.
I am: Cynic, Depressive, Junior in HS, Arizonan, Sarcastic, Wannabe Psychologist, Lover of Cinema and Rum.

Ziggy played guitar....
For ISIS | On Israel and its settlements | Flat Taxes are beneficial for all | OOC, Baby | Probably Accurate.

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:53 am

Libacur wrote:Its ok guys only 700 people died.

You live in Scotland. If a 7.8 earthquake hit Glasgow, you'd be flipping out. Such a response would be natural, after all, you're Scottish. Now think of the reactions of the people in Nepal.
I am: Cynic, Depressive, Junior in HS, Arizonan, Sarcastic, Wannabe Psychologist, Lover of Cinema and Rum.

Ziggy played guitar....
For ISIS | On Israel and its settlements | Flat Taxes are beneficial for all | OOC, Baby | Probably Accurate.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:14 am

Almost 1,500 in the death toll as of right now. It seems like these places like Nepal always have high death tolls than other places that get hit by earthquakes. I'm probably wrong though. I'm actually kind of glad I live in an area that isn't on a fault line. Biggest earthquakes we get here are around the 3.0 mark.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Cyllea
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyllea » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:47 pm

Torisakia wrote:Almost 1,500 in the death toll as of right now. It seems like these places like Nepal always have high death tolls than other places that get hit by earthquakes. I'm probably wrong though. I'm actually kind of glad I live in an area that isn't on a fault line. Biggest earthquakes we get here are around the 3.0 mark.

They probably have higher death tolls because their homes are much more prone to collapse because they're poor, and because their hospitals aren't as equipped to handle mass amounts of patients as western countries, thus many dying in hospitals before they're even treated.

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:03 pm

Damn.

With the way infrastructure and housing's built in Nepal, the death toll is inevitably going to be high.

Then again, this is nothing new, and is only going to get worse in time.

26 million people is too much for a small country that's mostly mountains and situated on a tectonic plate.

The Klishi Islands
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Klishi Islands » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:41 pm

Economic Center-Left, Social Libertarian. Basically an ebul establishment neoliberal.
The political compass is no longer objective, so I've removed it from my sig. TG me for my specific positions.
"Bullshit is everywhere. There is very little that you will encounter in life that has not been, in some ways, infused with bullshit." ~ Jon Stewart

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open. ~ Unknown

These quotes sum up how I feel about the political climate in America. Let's try to keep the debate healthy, open, and honest

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:45 pm

Cyllea wrote:
Torisakia wrote:Almost 1,500 in the death toll as of right now. It seems like these places like Nepal always have high death tolls than other places that get hit by earthquakes. I'm probably wrong though. I'm actually kind of glad I live in an area that isn't on a fault line. Biggest earthquakes we get here are around the 3.0 mark.

They probably have higher death tolls because their homes are much more prone to collapse because they're poor, and because their hospitals aren't as equipped to handle mass amounts of patients as western countries, thus many dying in hospitals before they're even treated.

As I understand it from talking to my family back home (relief that everyones safe), it was mostly traditional areas with with most casualties. I mean I have been to this place where widest of the streets are basically one car width and surrounded by five+ stories high houses whose foundations were built before there knowledge of earthquake was a thing. People in these areas would literally have nowhere to go but to get crushed inside their houses or get crushed in the streets by other people's houses.
One really bad consolation is that earthquake happened in a weekend afternoon, death toll could've been a lot higher if people were indoors for work/ school or at night time. Crossed fingers, aftershocks will die down...
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carolusborg
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Carolusborg » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:53 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Nepal.
Pro: Constitutional Monarchism, Parliamentary Republicanism, Social liberalism
Anti: Robert Mugabe, ANC, Corruption, Tribalism, Fascism, Marxism, Absolute Monarchism
Compass: Economic Left: -1.5 and Social Authoritarian: 0.62
I am a nineteen-year-old white male studying PPE at the University of Cape Town in South Africa. I am now armed with four passports: British, South African, Swazi and Zimbabwean!
A typical and very normal day in South Africa.

Kibbehstan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kibbehstan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:23 pm

Predictably, the death toll keeps rising; 1,899 have been confirmed dead. 1,834 in Nepal, 52 in India, 12 in China and 2 in Bangladesh.
Respublica Cubesicus
Laboremus pro Patria

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:56 pm

Playing In The Water wrote:Nepal can't have been prepared for an earthquake like this, they strike so rarely there.

Nepal sits on an active tectonic zone at the base of the Himalayas. They know and deal with earthquakes on a near-daily basis, as anyone living in an active tectonic zone does.

Cyllea wrote:They probably have higher death tolls because their homes are much more prone to collapse because they're poor, and because their hospitals aren't as equipped to handle mass amounts of patients as western countries, thus many dying in hospitals before they're even treated.

Any country is going to have issues with mass casualties regardless of wealth and development. Take Christchurch in 2011 as an example of a developed country just being able to deal with the aftermath of a smaller but nonetheless violent and devastating earthquake. Emergency resources were stretched to absolute breaking point and equipment, personnel and vehicles had to be brought in from around the country as well as internationally to assist in the rescue and recovery operations.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Glorious KASSRD
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious KASSRD » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:26 pm

Absolutely terrible, I hope that relief is and efficient. Thousands of people dead, cities turned to rubble, historic sites badly damaged. This is a dark day for Nepal.

Kibbehstan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kibbehstan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:09 pm

Glorious KASSRD wrote:Absolutely terrible, I hope that relief is and efficient. Thousands of people dead, cities turned to rubble, historic sites badly damaged. This is a dark day for Nepal.

A dark day for the area in general considering people also died in India, China and Bangladesh.
Last edited by Kibbehstan on Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Respublica Cubesicus
Laboremus pro Patria

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:46 pm

Merizoc wrote:

That is because there aren't any mountains or substantial hills between the epicenter and Bangladesh. Although the shockwaves won't be as intense, as there's nothing to essentially absorb or dampen them, they will hit places in northern Bangladesh with some strength.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Hoffenland
Secretary

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Hoffenland » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:48 pm

The Death Toll is close to 2000, but relief efforts are intensifying.

Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:07 am

Over 2,500 now. The death toll will just keep on climbing gradually for weeks.

Very sad.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:14 am

Wow, one of my friends died in the Everest base camp. Wow. She was the doctor for the base camp.

I can't believe how short her life was. She deserved a long life, and the world deserved more time with her on it.

Why do the good ones die young and assholes like me continue to live.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General