NATION

PASSWORD

The Role of Government

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think Government ought to do?

To socially engineer the populace.
6%
To rid us of the damn Bourgies.
4%
To force my religion on everyone.
2%
To promote the good life.
20%
To redistribute wealth.
11%
To maintain a healthy economy.
24%
To just be a darn police force and army.
16%
To not exist.
7%
To do whatever the majority wants it to be.
11%

Total votes : 302

The Northumbrian Republic
Envoy

Founded: Jan 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Northumbrian Republic » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:30 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
The United Neptumousian Empire wrote:Libertarianism is a societal illness.

Good thing I'm an anarchist!

What anarcho?
I'm most likely an anarcho-syndicalist and (actual definition) libertarian.

Novsvacro
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Novsvacro » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:43 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Novsvacro wrote:
Exactly, to secure that the needs of all are met.

Which it pretty much never does. It just serves as a body of power-hungry psychopaths. So fuck it.

Fuck the state, not government.
Cuando el amor llega así, de esta manera,
uno no tiene la culpa
quererse no tiene horario
ni fecha en el calendario

Genetics undergrad. Basketball analytics nerd.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:44 pm

Novsvacro wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Which it pretty much never does. It just serves as a body of power-hungry psychopaths. So fuck it.

What about a global state?

Novsvacro
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Novsvacro » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Novsvacro wrote:

It would be the same, global exploitation. We need society to be ran by producers themselves, and to have the means of production and distribution be organized by their respective operators (collective ownership of factories, roads, railroads, etc.).
Cuando el amor llega así, de esta manera,
uno no tiene la culpa
quererse no tiene horario
ni fecha en el calendario

Genetics undergrad. Basketball analytics nerd.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:57 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Novsvacro wrote:

Even worse than what we already have. The modern state already seems generally incapable of addressing the needs of all their citizens. Decentralization and efforts to concentrate power in the hands of individuals within their community seem more conducive to direct approaches to addressing the problems people face. I don't see how it seems even remotely possible to believe that further centralization in the hands of global state could possibly help matters. People around the world do not face the same challenges. Global cooperation is important, but creating a global state solves nothing. We seek to abolish the state, not expand its power.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Roelandia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Roelandia » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:00 pm

I see the government essentially as some kind of "referee" who keeps watch on the fair play of the private industry and the populace in general.The government should try to let people live their lives with as much freedom as possible (note: "possible", I'm not saying they should be free to do anything. It all has to be within reason). The government should also look out for it's populace but in a non paternalizing way, the way to do that (in my opinion) is to be reasonable and sensible. By that I mean, not too many taxes, not too little. Not demonizing companies for making money but instead partnering with them to make them provide a service that benefits society and their pockets. Get rid of the divide between the private and the public sector and merge them instead, coordinated (but not actually run) by the government. It's essentially a balancing act.

I try to make my nation in nationstates reflect the above ideal
Last edited by Roelandia on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personal 8 values

Politiscales result

This nation represents my real life views
I don't use NS stats, but that goes without saying if you look at my factbooks.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:02 pm

Novsvacro wrote:
Genivaria wrote:What about a global state?

It would be the same, global exploitation. We need society to be ran by producers themselves, and to have the means of production and distribution be organized by their respective operators (collective ownership of factories, roads, railroads, etc.).

Globalization and workplace democracy are not mutually exclusive.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:29 pm

The Northumbrian Republic wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Good thing I'm an anarchist!

What anarcho?
I'm most likely an anarcho-syndicalist and (actual definition) libertarian.

I simply identify as an anarchist, more specifically an illegalist. I'm economically a mutualist.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:30 pm

Novsvacro wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Which it pretty much never does. It just serves as a body of power-hungry psychopaths. So fuck it.

Fuck both. Anarchy should be everyone ruling themselves. There can be laws, but only to protect the complete freedom of every individual. And they should be enforced by society as a whole.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:31 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Novsvacro wrote:

Terrible idea. Governments tend to work best when they are completely local.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Novsvacro wrote:Fuck the state, not government.

Fuck both. Anarchy should be everyone ruling themselves. There can be laws, but only to protect the complete freedom of every individual. And they should be enforced by society as a whole.

No thanks. I like the division of labour. I can be a scientist. Some other guys can go be policemen.
Last edited by Conscentia on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mysterious Stranger
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mysterious Stranger » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:55 pm

Novsvacro wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:So basically you're advocating anarchy. It's been tried, it failed even more massively than leninism.

Evidence? If by Spain in the Civil War, that worked remarkably well. That and the Ukraine Free Territory were destroyed by Leninists intervention (espionage and military force, respectively).

I just want to make sure... you spelled edgy wrong in your sig on purpose, right?

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:55 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Fuck both. Anarchy should be everyone ruling themselves. There can be laws, but only to protect the complete freedom of every individual. And they should be enforced by society as a whole.

No thanks. I like the division of labour. I can be a scientist. Some other guys can go be policemen.

There are no police in an anarchist society.

Nor prisons.
Last edited by Prussia-Steinbach on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mysterious Stranger
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mysterious Stranger » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Fuck both. Anarchy should be everyone ruling themselves. There can be laws, but only to protect the complete freedom of every individual. And they should be enforced by society as a whole.

See the issue with that is it tends to lead to rule by policemen.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:57 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Grand Calvert wrote:
Voluntary militia.

So basically you're advocating anarchy. It's been tried, it failed even more massively than leninism.

Nope. If it was located around numerous liberal nations, it seems reasonable that an anarchist society could easily exist, without fascists and imperialists surrounding it.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:57 pm

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
Conscentia wrote:No thanks. I like the division of labour. I can be a scientist. Some other guys can go be policemen.

Exactly. Society as a whole enforces the law. No rulers. No one has more authority than another.

Communist Volkstrad
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Communist Volkstrad » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:58 pm

The role of government is to make sure its people are well, provided for, able to live their lives free from corruption and the interests of those who would do them harm, to protect the world we live in from excess pollution and destruction, and many other things as well. A government, all in all, should be there for its people, for its land, for the world, and not for corporate gain, not for religious fanatics who would push their views on the rest of us, and not for oppressing its people.
I'm not actually a communist.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:02 pm

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
Conscentia wrote:No thanks. I like the division of labour. I can be a scientist. Some other guys can go be policemen.

Rule by policemen has literally never ever been a form of government for any society in the history of humanity.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:03 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Mysterious Stranger wrote:See the issue with that is it tends to lead to rule by policemen.

Exactly. Society as a whole enforces the law. No rulers. No one has more authority than another.

The men with guns, loud voices, charisma, and/or muscles are likely to acquire more authority rather quickly.
You can't abolish authority.
Last edited by Conscentia on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Communist Volkstrad
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Communist Volkstrad » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Mysterious Stranger wrote:See the issue with that is it tends to lead to rule by policemen.

You expect this to work in the modern day? Please. That will never work until at least the far, far future. Humans will never go along with such a thing as its entirety. People will fight to assert their authority, and it will collapse.
Last edited by Communist Volkstrad on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:05 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Exactly. Society as a whole enforces the law. No rulers. No one has more authority than another.

The men with guns, loud voices, charisma, and/or muscles are likely to acquire authority rather quickly.

Yes, you can. It's been done. The reason it didn't last is outside forces.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:06 pm

Communist Volkstrad wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Exactly. Society as a whole enforces the law. No rulers. No one has more authority than another.

You expect this to work in the modern day? Please. That will never work until at least the far, far future. Humans will never go along with such a thing as its entirety. People will fight to assert their authority, and it will collapse.

I never said it could happen today. On a small scale, it is happening today, and could happen even more. But an anarchist world, or continent? No, I'll never see it.

But if we don't start working toward it now, more and more generations will suffer under the state.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:07 pm

Conscentia wrote:

Rule by policemen has literally never ever been a form of government for any society in the history of humanity.

You think if a society was anarchist except that there were policemen, the policemen, as sole bearers of authority, would not essentially become the rulers?

Communist Volkstrad
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Communist Volkstrad » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:07 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Communist Volkstrad wrote:You expect this to work in the modern day? Please. That will never work until at least the far, far future. Humans will never go along with such a thing as its entirety. People will fight to assert their authority, and it will collapse.

I never said it could happen today. On a small scale, it is happening today, and could happen even more. But an anarchist world, or continent? No, I'll never see it.

But if we don't start working toward it now, more and more generations will suffer under the state.

I don't think so. The objective should be to make the state better, to make it serve its people's interests and watch it carefully to make sure it doesn't break its responsibilities. This would require a lot of transparency, but once that's nailed down things will run smoothly. One needs the State to manage a nation.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:07 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Conscentia wrote:The men with guns, loud voices, charisma, and/or muscles are likely to acquire authority rather quickly.

Yes, you can. It's been done. The reason it didn't last is outside forces.

Outside forces - ie. men with guns, loud voices, charisma, and/or muscles.
Anarchists that have actually managed to get some land have always done it by building militias.
Last edited by Conscentia on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General