NATION

PASSWORD

National Debt Thread III: Revenge of the Terrible Metaphors

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Are you concerned about the US national debt?

Yes - we need to be focused on trying to pay it down. It is out of control.
31%
No - the national debt is not currently a problem.
27%
No - the national debt is actually currently indicative of the enormous economic power wielded by the US.
33%
None of the above options reflect my opinion on this issue.
9%

Total votes : 45

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

National Debt Thread III: Revenge of the Terrible Metaphors

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:25 am

EDIT: Provocative oversimplified statement to get the ball rolling and get people to respond: The national debt doesn't matter and we honestly can probably go ahead and keep growing it and it will cause no problems at all. Also I want the deficit to be higher and balancing the budget is a dumb idea.

Hey everyone! Roughly a year ago was my second thread on the topic of of US national debt alarmism and how it is basically all bunk. I'm really happy to see that at least on the internet, these ideas against alarmism have spread A LOT in the last year (not that I would even remotely claim that I did this, there are plenty of better advocates for this thought than me - but it's still awesome).

Anyway, I think this idea can still be further discussed and there's still a debate to be had here. Here's my last thread on the topic:

Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:After seeing a few... erm... less than informed (in my opinion) statements on the national debt in this forum, I'd like to again open up the validity of concern over the national debt back up for another debate.

Now, last time (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=286208), I laid out my argument and though it was provocative, it didn't get a lot of substantial opposition simply because nobody really wanted to respond to my giant text blocks of arguments. And that's understandable. So, in an effort to be more accessible and less jargon-y, I want to present my argument in a more simplistic sense and then if anyone wants to get deep and dirty in the economics, I'm happy to get in there with them.

Here's just a few simple reasons why our national debt is not as dire of a situation as it is portrayed.

1. China only owns about 8% of our debt. Most of our debt is owed to individuals and banks within the United States.

2. No country can "call in" our debt. That's not how public bond markets work. If a country wants money for its debt holdings, it will sell bonds to another country.

3. The main difference between the US and Greece is that Greece does not fully control its own currency.

4. The national debt of the United States is not currently the biggest for the nation in history because it was bigger as a proportion of GDP during World War II, and our debt did not keep our economy from booming.

5. Lack of debt does not insulate us from economic problems, proven when paying off our debt in 1835 was followed by a long recession.

6. Many nations have larger debts relative to GDP including Ireland, Iceland, the UK, the Netherlands, Belgium, Monaco, Switzerland, Portugal, Austria, Sweden, France, Denmark, Finland, Germany, and New Zealand.

7. The only time in modern US history that we dealt with an inflation problem was during a time of relatively low debt and was caused by forces outside the domestic economy.

So, NSG, are you concerned about the national debt? Should we be really working towards a balanced budget? Should we be cutting spending if only to "reduce the national debt?"

I'm eager to hear your responses.

I'd like to add a couple points - both facts I have learned since the last thread and things that have changed.

8. China no longer owns the largest foreign share of our national debt. Japan does.

9. A significant portion of our national debt is owed to ourselves - many of you already know that - but I'm not just referring to the Federal Reserve or Social Security. Frequently, when a government department is individually running a surplus they will use the extra dollars to buy bonds - to buy debt! So in a weird way, keep in mind that some debt is actually the result of surpluses.

So, NSG, I leave you with the questions I've left you with previously:

Are you concerned about the national debt?

Should we really be working towards a balanced budget?
Last edited by Post-Keynesian Economics on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Will capitalist economies operate at full employment in the absence of routine intervention? Certainly not. Are deviations from full employment a social problem? Obviously." - Janet Yellen

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:48 am

In a private economic recession, the government does need to step up to keep the quality of life up and boost the economy. The government can recoup it's losses in the next economic boom.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:53 pm

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:In a private economic recession, the government does need to step up to keep the quality of life up and boost the economy. The government can recoup it's losses in the next economic boom.

Sure, that's basic Keynesian thought. But let's go a bit beyond that assumption. Why does the government (monetary policy aside, let's focus on fiscal) need to recoup its losses in the next economic boom?
"Will capitalist economies operate at full employment in the absence of routine intervention? Certainly not. Are deviations from full employment a social problem? Obviously." - Janet Yellen

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:27 pm

I almost forgot how much people in this forum love discussing economics. No wonder this thread blew up. ;)

The irony is that the poll seems to indicate some disagreement, and yet...

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:33 pm

Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:Sure, that's basic Keynesian thought. But let's go a bit beyond that assumption. Why does the government (monetary policy aside, let's focus on fiscal) need to recoup its losses in the next economic boom?

Not necessarily all of its losses, but things should be shored up during an economic boom, where during a recession we need to not give too much consideration to how much the government needs to spend to keep things going.

I've gotten a much better understanding of the debt these days, so I understand that it's not the problem that it's made out to be, but with what the Republicans pulled the other year with the debt ceiling, I'm somewhat nervous about the debt as a vulnerability in the global market.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:35 pm

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:
Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:Sure, that's basic Keynesian thought. But let's go a bit beyond that assumption. Why does the government (monetary policy aside, let's focus on fiscal) need to recoup its losses in the next economic boom?

Not necessarily all of its losses, but things should be shored up during an economic boom, where during a recession we need to not give too much consideration to how much the government needs to spend to keep things going.

I've gotten a much better understanding of the debt these days, so I understand that it's not the problem that it's made out to be, but with what the Republicans pulled the other year with the debt ceiling, I'm somewhat nervous about the debt as a vulnerability in the global market.

Fair. And the debt ceiling situation is definitely a concern. But that kind of political failure would reduce just as much confidence in the US financially whether the debt was one million USD or one hundred trillion USD.

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:46 pm

It's not an issue esp. when the US is not operating at capacity like right now. Wages, employment, and other key indicators are still quite mediocre.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:Fair. And the debt ceiling situation is definitely a concern. But that kind of political failure would reduce just as much confidence in the US financially whether the debt was one million USD or one hundred trillion USD.

But that loss of confidence has a much larger effect when the world is using our bonds as the financial bedrock on which economies are built.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:51 pm

Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:I almost forgot how much people in this forum love discussing economics. No wonder this thread blew up. ;)

The irony is that the poll seems to indicate some disagreement, and yet...

I love discussing economics, but I agree with 95% of what you're saying. Since you're a post-Keynesian I'm sure there are some more contentious 'heterodox' views you can express to really spark up a discussion.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:54 pm

Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:

Fair. And the debt ceiling situation is definitely a concern. But that kind of political failure would reduce just as much confidence in the US financially whether the debt was one million USD or one hundred trillion USD.

True, but if we take as granted that congress will continue to be in its current (broken) state for the foreseeable future, then building up a gap between current debt and the debt ceiling might be worthwhile, if nothing else, just to add a bit of a buffer before it can be used to hold the country to ransom again.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:57 pm

Salandriagado wrote:True, but if we take as granted that congress will continue to be in its current (broken) state for the foreseeable future, then building up a gap between current debt and the debt ceiling might be worthwhile, if nothing else, just to add a bit of a buffer before it can be used to hold the country to ransom again.

Unfortunately, that's something that only congress can accomplish.

It doesn't help that financial matters like this are way outside of most people's ability to comprehend.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:14 pm

Salandriagado wrote:True, but if we take as granted that congress will continue to be in its current (broken) state for the foreseeable future, then building up a gap between current debt and the debt ceiling might be worthwhile, if nothing else, just to add a bit of a buffer before it can be used to hold the country to ransom again.

Unfortunately, that's something that only congress can accomplish.

It doesn't help that financial matters like this are way outside of most people's ability to comprehend.

You might distinguish "ability" with "care."

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:21 pm

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:In a private economic recession, the government does need to step up to keep the quality of life up and boost the economy. The government can recoup it's losses in the next economic boom.

Sure, that's basic Keynesian thought. But let's go a bit beyond that assumption. Why does the government (monetary policy aside, let's focus on fiscal) need to recoup its losses in the next economic boom?

The government should wait to spend that money until it's needed.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

United Russian Soviet States
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian Soviet States » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:26 pm

The national debt should be paid off.
This nation does not represent my views.
I stand with Rand.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.
:Member of the United National Group:

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:48 pm

Geilinor wrote:

The government should wait to spend that money until it's needed.

Define "needed."

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:49 pm

United Russian Soviet States wrote:The national debt should be paid off.

Why?

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:06 pm

Whatever you consider the best level of deficit, the deficit during a recession will be higher than that. Therefore to hit the average (the "best level") over the cycle the deficit would need to be lower than that between recessions.

Unless you think that recessions can be prevented altogether by a sufficient level of recurrent deficit?
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:23 pm

Debt is good you say? Excellent!

I demand more free money from the government then.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:27 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:Debt is good you say? Excellent!

Fine by me. Would you prefer a regular payment, or a lump sum on your 18th birthday?

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:28 pm

Ailiailia wrote:

Fine by me. Would you prefer a regular payment, or a lump sum on your 18th birthday?

I want a million dollars.

Oh, and I think a Rawlsian argument can be made to give every 16 year old a free Hyundai. After all, transportation is a much needed amenity.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:34 pm

Do I really need to say why this is a strawman?

Deficits should definitely be minimised, but national debt is not unduly evil.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:34 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:

Oh, and I think a Rawlsian argument can be made to give every 16 year old a free Hyundai. After all, transportation is a much needed amenity.

You can have $30 a week. I don't mind doubling the deficit; let's see how that goes before attempting the living wage or the free Hyundai.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:42 pm

Kelinfort wrote:

Do I really need to say why this is a strawman?

Why then, should it be minimalized? PKE makes the perfect case above - we have had debts double the size before and yet our economy still didn't crash down! If debt is good, then I propose that we stimulate the economy by giving everyone free money. The rest can handle itself later.

Ailiailia wrote:

You can have $30 a week. I don't mind doubling the deficit; let's see how that goes before attempting the living wage or the free Hyundai.

No - I want a 20 dollar per hour minimum wage and a free Hyundai. But ask me this - how do you know when to stop?

Yes, I am back(ish)

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:46 pm

Kelinfort wrote:Do I really need to say why this is a strawman?

Why then, should it be minimalized? PKE makes the perfect case above - we have had debts double the size before and yet our economy still didn't crash down! If debt is good, then I propose that we stimulate the economy by giving everyone free money. The rest can handle itself later.

That would only succeed in creating hyper inflation by doubling the monetary base. As I said, debt is not an evil, but spending for the sake of "free money" is ludicrous.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:54 pm

Kelinfort wrote:

That would only succeed in creating hyper inflation by doubling the monetary base. As I said, debt is not an evil, but spending for the sake of "free money" is ludicrous.

First off, aren't we going into a deflationary spiral? A bit of a shock would be good, no?

Secondly, I do not see how free money can be any less damaging then the daily stimulus package we seem to get, in fact, one might argue that the distribution of money directly to the people instead of through the banks would be a better policy, as we can ensure that more of it will get used instead of sitting around. Hyper inflation could be fought directly/inversely as production would similarly go up.

So then what's your argument?
Last edited by The Liberated Territories on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General