NATION

PASSWORD

Did Obama Administration Betray America in Uranium One Deal?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Did the Obama Administration act stupidly in the Uranium One deal?

Yes.
47%
Not certain.
7%
No.
45%

Total votes : 55

Roma Downy
Secretary

Founded: Apr 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Did Obama Administration Betray America in Uranium One Deal?

Postby Roma Downy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:10 pm

In a recent New York Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/cash-flowed-to-clinton-foundation-as-russians-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html?_r=0

There was much talk on NSG about how a recent book that details alleged corruption by the Clintons might affect Sen. Clinton's chances for a Presidential run in 2016. However, that is small potatoes to the bigger picture, meaning that the President Obama's top cabinet members okayed a deal that eventually allowed Vladimir Putin to gain control of 20% of the U.S.A.'s uranium production.

Not only did Mrs. Clinton, as Secretary of State, sign off on the deal, but also the Secretary of the Treasury, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, plus other Cabinet and Defense officials. And the President responsible for his underlings seems to have been either oblivious to the events or didn't think there was any problem whatsoever in the deal. Did he think that he could trust Vladimir Putin?

Teemant
Senator

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Teemant » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:16 pm

I don't think it is the wisest move to give 20% of uranium producing capabilities to a country that has declared USA and NATO it's main enemy.
Eesti
Latvija
Lietuva
Polska

Aviran
Envoy

Founded: Feb 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Aviran » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:21 pm

Gotta love the NYT, sometimes they let their conservative writers go buck wild-they you get this...
Director of the Humanitarian Guard for the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION.

Minister of Commerce and Industry in the NSG Senate

Roma Downy
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Roma Downy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:23 pm

Aviran wrote:Gotta love the NYT, sometimes they let their conservative writers go buck wild-they you get this...

An ad hominem attack on the NYT writers?

I'd rather you focused in on the Uranium One deal.

Aviran
Envoy

Founded: Feb 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Aviran » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:24 pm

Roma Downy wrote:
Aviran wrote:Gotta love the NYT, sometimes they let their conservative writers go buck wild-they you get this...

An ad hominem attack on the NYT writers?

Not the NYT Staff Writers as a whole, just this one.

Also, did you know it's a logical fallacy to identify logical fallacies?
Director of the Humanitarian Guard for the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION.

Minister of Commerce and Industry in the NSG Senate

Teemant
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Teemant » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:27 pm

Aviran wrote:
Roma Downy wrote:An ad hominem attack on the NYT writers?

So you're just gonna say it everytime some newspaper publishes an article that you doesn't like?
Eesti
Latvija
Lietuva
Polska

Roma Downy
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Roma Downy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:29 pm

Aviran wrote:
Roma Downy wrote:An ad hominem attack on the NYT writers?

Again, please, let's stick to the Uranium One deal and the people who made/allowed it to happen.

Teemant
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Teemant » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:30 pm

Roma Downy wrote:
Aviran wrote:

Again, please, let's stick to the Uranium One deal and the people who made/allowed it to happen.

People may like the article or not but the reality is that Rosatom (Russia) owns 20% of US uranium now.
Eesti
Latvija
Lietuva
Polska

Haktiva
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:32 pm

The White House in general has been guilty of high treason for like what, 20 years? I find it hard to care
All around disagreeable person.

"Personal freedom is a double edged sword though. On the one end, it grants more power to the individual. However, the vast majority of individuals are fuckin idiots, and if certain restraints are not metered down by more responsible members of society, the society quickly degrades into a hedonistic and psychotic cluster fuck."

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:38 pm

Uranium is classed as a strategic resource, which is the only reason the Administration was involved at all.

Considering that access to raw uranium is in no way the limiting factor on how many nuclear weapons the US can build, considering that there aren't enough nuclear reactors in the US or anywhere to make the availability or price of uranium a serious concern for decades to come, and considering that the Uranium One deal only affects 20% of the US's uranium mining industry, I don't see it as a big deal.

Uranium shouldn't even be classed as a strategic resource. That might have made sense before arms limitation treaties, and it might have still made sense in the 70's when civilian nuclear was expected to grow at an accelerating pace, but it's just silly now.

There should still be Federal oversight of who owns uranium mines and where the uranium goes, but purely to prevent uranium being sold to non-signatories of the Non-Proliferation Treaty. Not for some cold war legacy policy of uranium being a strategic resource. You may as well hoard helium for fear that enemies will build zeppelins.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:48 pm

Do we still have enough nukes to level all of Russia? Yes? Did Russia already have enough nukes to level all of America? Yes? Then I fail to see the issue at this point.

The Remnants of Kobol
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Remnants of Kobol » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:50 pm

Notice I will not defend the political figures involved, only attack the theories and assertions made by the author.

First, the conspiracy about paying off the Clinton's is hilarious. A total of $2.5 million in donations to generic political organizations? That's a drop in the bucket. $2.5 million is an extremely small contribution relative to other donations to political organizations. And $500,000 for a speaking arrangement? Sounds about the going rate for a previous President who is now night-lighting as a public speaker. So he got paid to talk to an organization. Would you turn down half a million just because you didn't like the person who wanted you to talk to them?

Second, I can tell you that all this means is that the company owns the rights to mine the ore. The ore is still US property until it is approved to leave the country (hazardous material laws and various regulation of nuclear material). As signatories of Non-Proliferation Treaty, neither the US or Russia would be legally able to use the ore for weapons production. If Russia did, this entire deal becomes void and goes back to the US. If anyone wants to say it will end up in the hands of "undesirables" (ie, terrorists, Iran, Syria, DPRK), that would be the dumbest thing Russia could do. All nuclear material as a unique "fingerprint." Should this fingerprint show up anywhere but a Russian stockpile or power plant, they would be held accountable by the ICC, UN, and most certainly NATO. Should it be weaponized and used, Russian would be opening itself to the US First Strike Policy.

So, this arrangement seems like not much is wrong. Economically, it will likely provide jobs (miners, new local management, etc). Politically, Putin isn't a dictator for life, despite what people say. He will be gone relatively soon and Russia will neutralize back out. This arrangement will make the US and Russia more connected which actually gives the US more leverage over Russia. Ecologically, nuclear power is extremely clean compared to fossil fuels.

Basically, this is being blown out of proportion and frankly, we'll have to see how this plays out before we can even see what to expect.
Natum a bellum cinis.

Military Commander of the USGP
Never forget the USG
The USGP
Army: 35,856,000 Infantry Available for Homeworlds Defense (6,754,000 active)
Navy: 4 Strikestar Heavy Capital Warships, 54 Battlestars (Classes: 18 Mercury, 15 Jupiter, 21 Odin), 91 Gunstars
Marine Corps: 936,265 Marines
Expeditionary Forces: 2,573,958 explorers and settlers. 5 Jupiter Class Battlestars to support a fleet of transport and explorer ships.
Special Operations Command: ~12,000 Special Operations Personnel
Every able bodied/minded citizen between the ages of 18 and 35 is a member of the military, militia style. Ship numbers are less than the US Navy and spread over 13 planets.
"So Say We All."

Teemant
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Teemant » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:52 pm

Ailiailia wrote:Uranium is classed as a strategic resource, which is the only reason the Administration was involved at all.

Considering that access to raw uranium is in no way the limiting factor on how many nuclear weapons the US can build, considering that there aren't enough nuclear reactors in the US or anywhere to make the availability or price of uranium a serious concern for decades to come, and considering that the Uranium One deal only affects 20% of the US's uranium mining industry, I don't see it as a big deal.

Uranium shouldn't even be classed as a strategic resource. That might have made sense before arms limitation treaties, and it might have still made sense in the 70's when civilian nuclear was expected to grow at an accelerating pace, but it's just silly now.

There should still be Federal oversight of who owns uranium mines and where the uranium goes, but purely to prevent uranium being sold to non-signatories of the Non-Proliferation Treaty. Not for some cold war legacy policy of uranium being a strategic resource. You may as well hoard helium for fear that enemies will build zeppelins.

Uranium is strategic resource and should remain one:

1) It is used for nuclear weapons
2) It is used for ammunition (not nuclear bomb)
3) It is used for military vehicles (armor plates)
4) It is used by nuclear plants

It has huge importance militarily (especially) as you can see.
Eesti
Latvija
Lietuva
Polska

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:57 pm

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:Do we still have enough nukes to level all of Russia? Yes? Did Russia already have enough nukes to level all of America? Yes? Then I fail to see the issue at this point.

Rosatom will try to corner the market and drive up the price of uranium. If they buy more assets (eg Australian miners) they may even succeed in driving up the price. But not in cornering the market.

We see from OPEC's attempt to corner the crude oil market that the effect of driving up prices is to open up new reserves which weren't previously economical to exploit.

From my perspective, driving up the price of raw uranium would be a good thing. For one, it would make Thorium more attractive for reactor fuel, and for another it would make reprocessing more profitable (and reprocessing reduces the problem of intractable waste which is a major public fear of nuclear power). If the Russians want to waste their scarce investment capital driving up the price of uranium to try to corner the market, they are helpful fools.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Teemant
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Teemant » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:58 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:Do we still have enough nukes to level all of Russia? Yes? Did Russia already have enough nukes to level all of America? Yes? Then I fail to see the issue at this point.

Rosatom will try to corner the market and drive up the price of uranium. If they buy more assets (eg Australian miners) they may even succeed in driving up the price. But not in cornering the market.

We see from OPEC's attempt to corner the crude oil market that the effect of driving up prices is to open up new reserves which weren't previously economical to exploit.

From my perspective, driving up the price of raw uranium would be a good thing. For one, it would make Thorium more attractive for reactor fuel, and for another it would make reprocessing more profitable (and reprocessing reduces the problem of intractable waste which is a major public fear of nuclear power). If the Russians want to waste their scarce investment capital driving up the price of uranium to try to corner the market, they are helpful fools.

Isn't OPEC trying to lower oil price to get rid of fracking because fracking is competitive starting around 60 dollars. If fracking is gone then supply to the market decreases so prices will go up eventually.
Eesti
Latvija
Lietuva
Polska

The Remnants of Kobol
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Remnants of Kobol » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:02 pm

Teemant wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:Uranium is classed as a strategic resource, which is the only reason the Administration was involved at all.

1.) Illegal for either nation to produce
2.) Depleted Uranium ammunition is banned or in a legal limbo depending on what source you use
3.) The trend is going to reactive armor
4.) Oil, Coal, and Natural Gas area also used in energy production, yet Russia and US both export those as well

Yes, Uranium has a huge importance, but its not a game changer.
Natum a bellum cinis.

Never forget the USG
The USGP
Navy: 4 Strikestar Heavy Capital Warships, 54 Battlestars (Classes: 18 Mercury, 15 Jupiter, 21 Odin), 91 Gunstars
Expeditionary Forces: 2,573,958 explorers and settlers. 5 Jupiter Class Battlestars to support a fleet of transport and explorer ships.
Every able bodied/minded citizen between the ages of 18 and 35 is a member of the military, militia style. Ship numbers are less than the US Navy and spread over 13 planets.
"So Say We All."

Teemant
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Teemant » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:04 pm

The Remnants of Kobol wrote:Notice I will not defend the political figures involved, only attack the theories and assertions made by the author.

First, the conspiracy about paying off the Clinton's is hilarious. A total of $2.5 million in donations to generic political organizations? That's a drop in the bucket. $2.5 million is an extremely small contribution relative to other donations to political organizations. And $500,000 for a speaking arrangement? Sounds about the going rate for a previous President who is now night-lighting as a public speaker. So he got paid to talk to an organization. Would you turn down half a million just because you didn't like the person who wanted you to talk to them?

Second, I can tell you that all this means is that the company owns the rights to mine the ore. The ore is still US property until it is approved to leave the country (hazardous material laws and various regulation of nuclear material). As signatories of Non-Proliferation Treaty, neither the US or Russia would be legally able to use the ore for weapons production. If Russia did, this entire deal becomes void and goes back to the US. If anyone wants to say it will end up in the hands of "undesirables" (ie, terrorists, Iran, Syria, DPRK), that would be the dumbest thing Russia could do. All nuclear material as a unique "fingerprint." Should this fingerprint show up anywhere but a Russian stockpile or power plant, they would be held accountable by the ICC, UN, and most certainly NATO. Should it be weaponized and used, Russian would be opening itself to the US First Strike Policy.

So, this arrangement seems like not much is wrong. Economically, it will likely provide jobs (miners, new local management, etc). Politically, Putin isn't a dictator for life, despite what people say. He will be gone relatively soon and Russia will neutralize back out. This arrangement will make the US and Russia more connected which actually gives the US more leverage over Russia. Ecologically, nuclear power is extremely clean compared to fossil fuels.

Basically, this is being blown out of proportion and frankly, we'll have to see how this plays out before we can even see what to expect.

But can you say why this 2.5 million dollar donation was not publicy disclosed? Why was it kept secret?
I find it hard to belive that all of this is just a big coincidence.

"This arrangement will make the US and Russia more connected which actually gives the US more leverage over Russia" - are you even serious?
How can this deal give more leverage to US. It could only give more leverage to US if US owned 20% of Russias uranium but it doesn't. I seriously don't understand how can you see this deal this way.

Putin won't be gone relatively soon. He will be president at least until 2024 and probably beyond.
Eesti
Latvija
Lietuva
Polska

Teemant
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Teemant » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:08 pm

The Remnants of Kobol wrote:
Teemant wrote:

1.) Illegal for either nation to produce
2.) Depleted Uranium ammunition is banned or in a legal limbo depending on what source you use
4.) Oil, Coal, and Natural Gas area also used in energy production, yet Russia and US both export those as well

1) Nuclear weapons are not illegal to produce
2) US uses depleted uranium ammunition
3) Reactive armor? It is just an extra defense measure against RPGs but not part of tank's armor itself. So uranium will be needed.
4) Why are there nuclear plants then?
Last edited by Teemant on Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eesti
Latvija
Lietuva
Polska

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:13 pm

Teemant wrote:

The US has stockpiles of already enriched uranium, and actual plutonium, if for some bizarre reason it ever needed to build more nuclear weapons.

Depleted uranium (2 & 3) is quite abundant after enrichment. You'll always have plenty of it.

Yes it is used by nuclear plants. An increase in the price of raw uranium would have very little effect on the profitability of generating plants however. A doubling of the price would increase the lifetime cost of a plant by about 1%, and the addition of Canadian and US resources to the huge industry of Kazakhstan isn't going to double the raw uranium cost.

Maybe it would be good if it did. Currently US miners can't compete and the US nuclear industry imports almost all of its uranium. If it's a "strategic resource" you should have working mines shouldn't you?

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

The Remnants of Kobol
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Remnants of Kobol » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:17 pm

Teemant wrote:
The Remnants of Kobol wrote:Notice I will not defend the political figures involved, only attack the theories and assertions made by the author.

But can you say why this 2.5 million dollar donation was not publicy disclosed? Why was it kept secret?
I find it hard to belive that all of this is just a big coincidence.

"This arrangement will make the US and Russia more connected which actually gives the US more leverage over Russia" - are you even serious?
How can this deal give more leverage to US. It could only give more leverage to US if US owned 20% of Russias uranium but it doesn't. I seriously don't understand how can you see this deal this way.

Putin won't be gone relatively soon. He will be president at least until 2024 and probably beyond.

I honestly have no idea why it was never disclosed. Probably the same reason/way the Koch's were able to donate roughly $86 million anonymously during 2012 and that was never disclosed.

I am entirely serious. In a business arrangement, (s)he who holds the product or performs the service controls the deal. That's how life works. As I stated, they own the right to mine it and sell the ore, not the ore itself. The leverage comes in creating a dependence on US Uranium. Once Russia is dependent, the US can milk Russia of money the same way OPEC did/is doing with the US. Being a strategic resource, it also allows the US to hold cutting off the right to export the ore at any time. That is power.

You are assuming that the Russian people will simply blindly follow. The people will soon get tired of a warmonger. Putin is neither the charismatic Lenin, nor the strong armed Stalin. He does not hold the influence he needs to remain in power as long as you say. He will force Russia into too many downfalls the people will soon tire of him. Despite popular opinion, Russia is still a democratic state. The people will vote. And the people still hold the power.
Natum a bellum cinis.

Never forget the USG
The USGP
"So Say We All."

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:18 pm

Teemant wrote:"This arrangement will make the US and Russia more connected which actually gives the US more leverage over Russia" - are you even serious?

If the US tightens sanctions on Russia (let alone goes to war) anything owned by Uranium One can be deemed owned by Rosatom and impounded.

Rosatom pays for the mines. US government takes the mines without compensation. That's not a good deal for Russia, see?

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

The Remnants of Kobol
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Remnants of Kobol » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:21 pm

Teemant wrote:
The Remnants of Kobol wrote:1.) Illegal for either nation to produce

3) Reactive armor? It is just an extra defense measure against RPGs but not part of tank's armor itself. So uranium will be needed.

1.) http://www.un.org/disarmament/WMD/Nuclear/NPT.shtml I suggest you read this. If you need more, check the Geneva Convention
2.) And people still speed though there are speed limits. I said banned, not "not used".
3.) The company was Canadian before. Meaning the ore was going to Canada anyway. Obviously, the ore will have no effect on US ability to produce.
4.) Because nuclear energy exists? Fossil fuels aren't unlimited.
Natum a bellum cinis.

Never forget the USG
The USGP
"So Say We All."

Teemant
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Teemant » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:23 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Teemant wrote:

The US has stockpiles of already enriched uranium, and actual plutonium, if for some bizarre reason it ever needed to build more nuclear weapons.

Depleted uranium (2 & 3) is quite abundant after enrichment. You'll always have plenty of it.

Yes it is used by nuclear plants. An increase in the price of raw uranium would have very little effect on the profitability of generating plants however. A doubling of the price would increase the lifetime cost of a plant by about 1%, and the addition of Canadian and US resources to the huge industry of Kazakhstan isn't going to double the raw uranium cost.

Maybe it would be good if it did. Currently US miners can't compete and the US nuclear industry imports almost all of its uranium. If it's a "strategic resource" you should have working mines shouldn't you?

USA has used well over half of the uranium that it used to have and now 20% of the remaining is in the hands of Russians. In my opinion it doesn't look good. Russia has currently over 2x more uranium left than USA.
It is possible that uranium will be resource that has huge need in the future so it is better to have some. China will probably become influential on uranium market as well or India. So I think in the future price may even more than double.
Eesti
Latvija
Lietuva
Polska

Teemant
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Teemant » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:27 pm

The Remnants of Kobol wrote:
Teemant wrote:

1.) http://www.un.org/disarmament/WMD/Nuclear/NPT.shtml I suggest you read this. If you need more, check the Geneva Convention
2.) And people still speed though there are speed limits. I said banned, not "not used".
3.) The company was Canadian before. Meaning the ore was going to Canada anyway. Obviously, the ore will have no effect on US ability to produce.
4.) Because nuclear energy exists? Fossil fuels aren't unlimited.

Where it does it say that it is illegal to produce nuclear weapons? I did read the link you posted here and it says the only goal of this treaty is to stop spread of nuclear weapons.
So countries that already have nuclear weapons can build new ones.
Eesti
Latvija
Lietuva
Polska

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:37 pm

Teemant wrote:
Where it does it say that it is illegal to produce nuclear weapons? I did read the link you posted here and it says the only goal of this treaty is to stop spread of nuclear weapons.
So countries that already have nuclear weapons can build new ones.

Did you read my post where I pointed out that both sides already have more than enough nukes?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General