NATION

PASSWORD

Are some TV shows turning people off of Christianity?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Keshetar
Attaché

Founded: Nov 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Are some TV shows turning people off of Christianity?

Postby Keshetar » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:00 pm

I'm not taking any position here, as I don't know this answer. Do anyone on NS believe that some shows on modern TV within the last 10 or 20 years are promoting turning away from Christianity because of their Christian-related humor? Today, these main shows like "Family Guy", "South Park" and many others seem to have the same old, tired, kind of offensive satire type of humor. TV producers would have gotten hanged for this or something of it happened 30 years ago. I'm not asking that these shows be pulled and replaced with 24 hours of 7th Heaven or anything, but whatever happened to right vs. wrong?

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:03 pm

Family guy spends too much time satirizing American Protestantism or Catholicism honestly. I have yet to see them mock the Miaphysite churches at all.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:27 pm

Listening to pat Robinson for a few hours would turn anyone off of Christianity.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Busen
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Busen » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:30 pm

I personally have always hated thoose TV evangelists, firstly because they are doing this not because of faith but to make money and secondly indeed they are turning people off from christianity. So, that thoose protestant sects are not true Christians. That would be the Catholic and Orthodox Church.
Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:31 pm

God's Not Dead turned me off to Christianity more than Family Guy
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:32 pm

Oh the humanity. Won't someone think of the children.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:33 pm

Kubra wrote:God's Not Dead turned me off to Christianity more than Family Guy

So a right wing American evangelical protestant work of fiction turned you off from the entirety of Christianity more than a set of pop culture hacks did?
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:33 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Oh the humanity. Won't someone think of the children.

What children?

No one has a baby in over 25 years since the last of the Omega generation was born.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:34 pm

Keshetar wrote: TV producers would have gotten hanged for this or something of it happened 30 years ago.

Dunno about TV, but Life of Brian (1979) would seem to dispute that as a general media claim.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:37 pm

Benuty wrote:

So a right wing American evangelical protestant work of fiction turned you off from the entirety of Christianity more than a set of pop culture hacks did?
in a word: yes.
C'mon man say what you will about family guy it's nowhere near as cringe-worthy as evangelical cinema
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:50 pm

We need to get away from the constant bombardment of Hollywood Atheist strawmen in film somehow.

Second Blazing
Minister

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Second Blazing » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:53 pm

No, logic is.
"I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:56 pm

Keshetar wrote: but whatever happened to right vs. wrong?

We realized, as a society, that it had nothing to do with Christianity.

United Russian Soviet States
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian Soviet States » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:28 pm

I believe some do have an anti-Christian agenda. They want to make Christianity look bad.
This nation does not represent my views.
I stand with Rand.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.
:Member of the United National Group:

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:30 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Keshetar wrote: TV producers would have gotten hanged for this or something of it happened 30 years ago.

Dunno about TV, but Life of Brian (1979) would seem to dispute that as a general media claim.

They got hanged for it. So much so the Pythons had to insist it was about a man called Brian and had nothing to do with Christianity or Jesus, that it was not satire of that basically. The BBC for example have refused to show the film, several councils banned it. And it was only allowed to be released by the British film board after some bits were cut out. Among other things.
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slava Ukraini

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:36 pm

Really? Jesus Camp is a far more unintentionally horrifying watch.
Insert trite farewell here

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:37 pm

United Russian Soviet States wrote:I believe some do have an anti-Christian agenda. They want to make Christianity look bad.

Christianity does a good enough job of making itself look bad, actually. It doesn't need help.
Insert trite farewell here

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:39 pm

It does make me think when did I decide I was an atheist. To be honest I can't think of a time I ever believed in a god even when I had no idea there was such a thing as atheism.
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:41 pm

Both shows you mentioned have Jesus as a recurring character in their stories, often rebuking staunchly atheistic characters hand in hand with people who, in the show's satirical opinion, have perhaps hijacked "Jesus" for their own purposes in conflict with the intent of Jesus.

So I don't know that South Park and Family Guy is the best examples you can give, since they at least in the narrative not only acknowledge religion but that Jesus specifically exists. Their attacks on religion are not normally centered around atheism vs. Christianity, but rather those that either abuse the idea of religion for a personal agenda or are perhaps hypocritical in their approach.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:03 pm

United Russian Soviet States wrote:I believe some do have an anti-Christian agenda. They want to make Christianity look bad.

Wow you just see conspiracies everywhere don't cha ?

United Russian Soviet States
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian Soviet States » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:07 pm

Genivaria wrote:

Wow you just see conspiracies everywhere don't cha ?

I don't see them everywhere.
This nation does not represent my views.
I stand with Rand.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.
:Member of the United National Group:

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:17 pm

But we have had some prime time shows that were quite positive about faith. I hope adult cartoons are not the norm for our societal attitudes.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:24 pm

Second Blazing wrote:No, logic is.

Funny...I don't remember Joseph Raya using logic to denounce Christianity. Instead they used it to denounce the evils of segregation.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:39 pm

| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:01 pm

Yes, some TV shows turn people off of Christianity and present an awful and degrading portrayal of the Christian spirit; but these shows have a radical fan base and provide support to these programs so I doubt we'll see TBN or the 700 Club brought down any time soon.
Such heroic nonsense!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General