NATION

PASSWORD

copyrighted surnames

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:41 am

Kenora County wrote:so nsg. i live in nova scotia. everyone here is either irish scottish or both. my surname is murphy. there's like 7 kids in my class with that surname and i'm not related to any of them and they're not related to each other either. there's also like 3 kids with kelly as their surname and 2 with o'sullivan as their surname. none of them are related to each other. that really pisses us off. like we're not even related. that's why i think surnames should be copyrighted. everyone should have an unique surname.

so what do you think about this nsg? do you often come across people who have the same last name as you? if so, does that piss you off? do you think surnames should be copyrighted so everyone would have an unique surname? i do.

well what unique surname would YOU choose?
whatever

Fremskrittspartiet
Attaché

Founded: Jan 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Fremskrittspartiet » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:55 am

Sørbye™
i am willing to fight everyone, but am i able to?

Arcanda
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Arcanda » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:56 am

Kenora County wrote:so nsg. i live in nova scotia. everyone here is either irish scottish or both. my surname is murphy. there's like 7 kids in my class with that surname and i'm not related to any of them and they're not related to each other either. there's also like 3 kids with kelly as their surname and 2 with o'sullivan as their surname. none of them are related to each other. that really pisses us off. like we're not even related. that's why i think surnames should be copyrighted. everyone should have an unique surname.

so what do you think about this nsg? do you often come across people who have the same last name as you? if so, does that piss you off? do you think surnames should be copyrighted so everyone would have an unique surname? i do.

I've never actually came across someone who has the same surname as I do.There's only a pharmacy in Brasil that uses it...If I'm quick enough to copyright it before they do, I'll become rich :lol:

The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate
Envoy

Founded: Feb 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:58 am

Copyrighted surnames could become quite complicated, and people would be scrambling for them like short usernames that are nice and short words on popular websites. There would likely be many 'misspellings' of common last names if the family couldn't get the 'properly' spelled last name, and many more slight variations than there are now, which would get quite confusing. There would also probably be many surnames which most people would have no idea how to pronounce...this copyrighted surnames idea would fail on so many levels. I'd rather use a naming system like a combination of ours and either the Icelandic system or the Spanish one. Or we could just start chipping and barcoding everybody, like back in the good ol' days.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NSG is your blog; don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:Way to go for SUPPRESSING my opinion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.08

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:15 pm

The Holy Therns wrote:I think people's surnames should be taken from their place of employment. Society will be better categorized that way.

I see what you did there. Idly wondering how many here have read Jennifer Government. ;)

Kenora County
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kenora County » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:22 pm

Edgy Opinions wrote:You could adopt Iberian customs and use two or seldom three surnames in various combinations with one, two or seldom three given names. *nods*

so my neighbors name would be john murphy murphy insteasd of just john murphy
"Nowadays everybody's got to go to shrinks and counselors, and go on Sally Jesse Raphael and talk about their problems. Whatever happened to Gary Cooper, the strong, silent type? That was an American. He wasn't in touch with his feelings. He just did what he had to do. See, what they didn't know is once they got Gary Cooper in touch with his feelings, that they wouldn't be able to shut him up. And then it's dysfunction this and dysfunction that and dysfunction vaffanculo!"

Kenora County
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kenora County » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:23 pm

Ashmoria wrote:

well what unique surname would YOU choose?

something like grossmeistersfeister420.
"Nowadays everybody's got to go to shrinks and counselors, and go on Sally Jesse Raphael and talk about their problems. Whatever happened to Gary Cooper, the strong, silent type? That was an American. He wasn't in touch with his feelings. He just did what he had to do. See, what they didn't know is once they got Gary Cooper in touch with his feelings, that they wouldn't be able to shut him up. And then it's dysfunction this and dysfunction that and dysfunction vaffanculo!"

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:25 pm

Kenora County wrote:
Edgy Opinions wrote:You could adopt Iberian customs and use two or seldom three surnames in various combinations with one, two or seldom three given names. *nods*

so my neighbors name would be john murphy murphy insteasd of just john murphy

John Murphy and Murphy. Murphy e Murphy if born in a Portuguese-speaking country, Murphy y Murphy if a Spanish-speaking one. *nods*
Kotturheim's contagious despair.
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

Fremskrittspartiet
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Fremskrittspartiet » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:28 pm

The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate wrote:Copyrighted surnames could become quite complicated, and people would be scrambling for them like short usernames that are nice and short words on popular websites. There would likely be many 'misspellings' of common last names if the family couldn't get the 'properly' spelled last name, and many more slight variations than there are now, which would get quite confusing. There would also probably be many surnames which most people would have no idea how to pronounce...this copyrighted surnames idea would fail on so many levels. I'd rather use a naming system like a combination of ours and either the Icelandic system or the Spanish one. Or we could just start chipping and barcoding everybody, like back in the good ol' days.

Sknørbyæ564©
i am willing to fight everyone, but am i able to?

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:33 pm

Fremskrittspartiet wrote:Sknørbyæ564©

http://vocaroo.com/i/s09AJdXenBK0

Adequate? :P
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:33 pm

Lots of people have the same surname as me. It's not a problem.

When I was in elementary school, there was another girl with the same surname, and we both had light skin and dark brown hair, so everyone thought we were sisters (fraternal twins). We weren't related, but we were friends for a while. When we got older she got busy chasing after guys and ran away from home at one point, and things kind of fell apart.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Kenora County
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kenora County » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:34 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:Lots of people have the same surname as me. It's not a problem.

When I was in elementary school, there was another girl with the same surname, and we both had light skin and dark brown hair, so everyone thought we were sisters (fraternal twins). We weren't related, but we were friends for a while. When we got older she got busy chasing after guys and ran away from home at one point, and things kind of fell apart.

ii hope that doesn't happy to other murphies at my class.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:39 pm

Kenora County wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:Lots of people have the same surname as me. It's not a problem.

ii hope that doesn't happy to other murphies at my class.

Yeah, it wasn't good. I heard she got over it and got her shit together later on, but I haven't talked to her in a long time.
Last edited by Nazi Flower Power on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:44 pm

As annoying as it is, you just gotta live with it. Besides, all of those people are related - Very distantly, but their ancestors all came from the same Clan.
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

Galloism wrote:I bet it takes a lot of weed to get stoned to death.

New Manvir wrote:Canada: We have flying bears.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:... He's twenty.

He's also a moron.

Kenora County
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kenora County » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:46 pm

Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:As annoying as it is, you just gotta live with it. Besides, all of those people are related - Very distantly, but their ancestors all came from the same Clan.

my clan must have bred like rabbvits

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:46 pm

Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:As annoying as it is, you just gotta live with it. Besides, all of those people are related - Very distantly, but their ancestors all came from the same Clan.

Nope. Many were spread through conversion or slavery, in fact.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:48 pm

Lleu llaw Gyffes wrote:
The Tophat Empire wrote:Doctor - So what will the child be named

Mother - Jonson, carl Jonson

Doctor - I am sorry, that is copyrighted an you cant pay the royalties, but you can call him Carl gjnmhubgfvt.. Is that OK?

I am sorry, i was not able to resist

"gjnmhubgfvt" is unpronounceable except in Abkhaz and Georgian however, one can pronounce any combination of alternating consonants and vowels. The string "CVCVCVC" provides 20M random names eg Bacedif, Zuxovit. That way only 350 people will have each surname.

Of course, when clan Bacedif migrates to Nova Scotia, you are back where you started.

A more complicated method than this could be possible, and produce many more completely pronounceable surnames, using common English consonant clusters and diphthongs, ending and/or starting with a vowel (or multiple vowels), etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kenora County
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kenora County » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:48 pm

Edgy Opinions wrote:

it's a catholic town so many people haven't converted. and there aren't any black folks here so no slavery.

Kalifati Arab shqiptar
Minister

Founded: Aug 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalifati Arab shqiptar » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:49 pm

I'm the only person in the World with my name.

Kenora County
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kenora County » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:50 pm

Kalifati Arab shqiptar wrote:I'm the only person in the World with my name.

i envy you

Kenora County
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kenora County » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:50 pm

on a second thought, i think it'd be better if we only had one name, like greek philosophers did provided these names are unique obviously

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Fremskrittspartiet wrote:
The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate wrote:Copyrighted surnames could become quite complicated, and people would be scrambling for them like short usernames that are nice and short words on popular websites. There would likely be many 'misspellings' of common last names if the family couldn't get the 'properly' spelled last name, and many more slight variations than there are now, which would get quite confusing. There would also probably be many surnames which most people would have no idea how to pronounce...this copyrighted surnames idea would fail on so many levels. I'd rather use a naming system like a combination of ours and either the Icelandic system or the Spanish one. Or we could just start chipping and barcoding everybody, like back in the good ol' days.

Sknørbyæ564©

Dammit...I guess I'll just have to take Sknørbyæ565© now.
Kalifati Arab shqiptar wrote:I'm the only person in the World with my name.

As am I (legally), or at least there aren't any others I've been able to find.
Kenora County wrote:on a second thought, i think it'd be better if we only had one name, like greek philosophers did provided these names are unique obviously

This is an even worse idea for so many reasons.
Last edited by The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ikania
Senator

Founded: Jun 28, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ikania » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:52 pm

Time to pit all the Smiths an arena. The survivor gets the name.
Ike Speardane
Executive Advisor in The League.
Proud soldier in the service of The Grey Wardens.
Three-time Defendervision winner. NSG Senate veteran.
Knuckle-dragging fuckstick from a backwater GCR. #SPRDNZ
Land Value Tax would fix this
СЛАВА УКРАЇНІ

-Ebola-
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ebola- » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:53 pm

Edgy Opinions wrote:

We're all related anyway.
There are viruses on the internet! Make sure your computer is protected.
African, asexual, and proud.
Racism is foolish. You're all the same inside. I would know.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:54 pm

Surnames are not copyrightable alone, although as a business name the trademark laws apply, not the copyright laws. In the UK we have lots of people with the McDonald or MacDonald surname, and the fast food chain hasn't say anything against it as far as I know.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General