NATION

PASSWORD

Some Republicans Propose Declaring Idaho A 'Christian State'

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Some Republicans Propose Declaring Idaho A 'Christian State'

Postby Jute » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:30 am

Link
SALMON, Idaho, Feb 24 (Reuters) - Members of a county Republican Party in Idaho are to take up a measure on Tuesday evening that would declare the state a Christian one to bolster what the proposal calls the "Judeo-Christian bedrock of the founding of the United States."

The resolution to be voted on by the Kootenai County Republican Central Committee is non-binding, meaning it does not have the effect of laws or rules.

The proposal seeks that Idaho be "formally and specifically declared a Christian state," guided by a Judeo-Christian faith reflected in the U.S. Declaration of Independence where all authority and power is attributed to God, the resolution reads.

The measure argues that the Christian faith is under "strident attack" in the United States, and cites as evidence the absence of Christian traditions and symbols in public institutions such as schools.

The issue has sparked debate within the Republican stronghold of northern Idaho, once known for harboring leaders of the so-called Christian identity or white supremacist movement such as the late Aryan Nations founder Richard Butler.

Supporters say the measure echoes the Christian principles espoused by early U.S. presidents such as Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, and that it has added significance at a time when Christians are subject to persecution in countries such as Syria where it is not the dominant religion.

"We're a Christian community in a Christian state and the Republican Party is a Christian Party," said Jeff Tyler, a member of the committee and backer of the draft resolution.

"It's important that Christians stand up and be unashamed to say they're Christians."

Other committee members said they opposed the proposal, but that it placed them in a difficult position because if they voted against it they risked being unjustly labeled as anti-Christian.

Bjorn Handeen, a committee member who described himself as a Republican with libertarian leanings, said he is opposed to any document that puts the government in charge of defining Christianity.

He said the resolution was pushed by a small group within the committee that is bent on creating division among its about 70 members.

"Ultimately, I'm not in favor of dividing us by religion; I'm in favor of uniting us by freedom," Handeen said.

If approved, the resolution would be submitted to the state Republican Party for a vote by its members.

Idaho has long been a Republican bastion, with party members holding the majority of state offices. (Reporting by Laura Zuckerman; Editing by Daniel Wallis and Mohammad Zargham)

Well, huh. This certainly doesn't help the reputation of the Republican Party, especially not amongst anyone who isn't a devout Christian. It seems like it's just a small group pushing this, ignoring how unconstitutional this might be (I'm no expert on this, though) and putting everyone opposed to it, especially other Republicans in an annoying hard position, where they might feel like they might be labeled some not-so-nice things. Still, in my opinion they should step up and oppose it and try to ignore any ignorant insults flown at them, so those more sensible Republicans don't lose even more grounds to the more extreme ones, who for some reason still think that Christianity is under attack in the US, just because there are more unaffiliated people now.
What does everyone else think about this? A blatant attack on the US constitution, a silly but harmless proposal or something else? What would you if you had a position in the committee, and what would you advise those to me more reasonable seeming Republicans to do?
Last edited by Jute on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Hanchu
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanchu » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:32 am

Reminds me of isis

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:34 am

Hanchu wrote:Reminds me of isis

How so?
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Knockturn Alley
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 28, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Knockturn Alley » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:37 am

Someone should make a Republican's megathread...first a national religion proposal, now this

where all authority and power is attributed to God, the resolution reads.

Well in that case it would be simply chaos and anarchy, since surprise! There ain't one.
If Fox News was a country I would suggest all of them be deported there :p
Lelouch Lamperouge wrote:The only one who has the right to kill is he who is willing to die himself

Unknown wrote:There is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come

Political Compass [OUTDATED]:
Economic Left/Right: -0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.74
capitalism, free speech, atheism, nature, gun rights, metal music, technology, anime, stoicism, mgtow
traditionalism, racism, religion, virtue-signalling, celebrities, SJWs, PC Culture

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:39 am

Knockturn Alley wrote:Someone should make a Republican's megathread...first a national religion proposal, now this

where all authority and power is attributed to God, the resolution reads.

Well in that case it would be simply chaos and anarchy, since surprise! There ain't one.

That's what people want anyway, don't they?

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:39 am

If they do this would that mean any non Christian is exempt from Idaho law?
You know what, I'm going to say yes.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:39 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote:If they do this would that mean any non Christian is exempt from Idaho law?

Actually, that proposal seems to be supposed to be symbolic only, with no consequences for the law.

Hanchu
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanchu » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:40 am

Jute wrote:
Hanchu wrote:Reminds me of isis

How so?

Religion state

Knockturn Alley
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Knockturn Alley » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:41 am

Jute wrote:
Knockturn Alley wrote:Someone should make a Republican's megathread...first a national religion proposal, now this

That's what people want anyway, don't they?

They do? I shudder to think what sort of a country that would be...maybe if it was located in the middle east, they could have a scuffle with the isis
Lelouch Lamperouge wrote:The only one who has the right to kill is he who is willing to die himself

capitalism, free speech, atheism, nature, gun rights, metal music, technology, anime, stoicism, mgtow
traditionalism, racism, religion, virtue-signalling, celebrities, SJWs, PC Culture

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:42 am

Fuck that noise.

Knockturn Alley
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Knockturn Alley » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:42 am

Hanchu wrote:
Jute wrote:How so?

Religion state

Isis is a tad more than that though

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:42 am

Jute wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:If they do this would that mean any non Christian is exempt from Idaho law?

Actually, that proposal seems to be supposed to be symbolic only, with no consequences for the law.

I guarantee you that's not how it will happen. At the very, very least, were it to pass, they would be able to force Christianity into schools and deny marriage equality for a longer time. They would probably also jump on the chance to put women back into the 1950's and remove all bodily autonomy like these theocrats are want to do.
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Arcanda
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2014

Postby Arcanda » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:43 am

Technically speaking: Would it have any effect on laws? Would it be detrimental to any non-Christian?
Look at the statistics: Most of them are Christian one way or another.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho#Religion

While I disagree with it, and while I would certainly not support such resolution at a national level, I think that it is their right as a state to do that, as long as it is not detrimental to anyone else.

Hanchu
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanchu » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:44 am

Knockturn Alley wrote:
Hanchu wrote:Religion state

I know but it does remind me of it

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:45 am

Arcanda wrote:Technically speaking: Would it have any effect on laws? Would it be detrimental to any non-Christian?

While I disagree with it, and while I would certainly not support such resolution at a national level, I think that it is their right as a state to do that, as long as it is not detrimental to anyone else.

Shall we go ahead and set fire to the rest of the constitution as well
I scream a lot.

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Arcanda
Diplomat

Postby Arcanda » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:45 am

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:
Jute wrote:Actually, that proposal seems to be supposed to be symbolic only, with no consequences for the law.

I guarantee you that's not how it will happen. At the very, very least, were it to pass, they would be able to force Christianity into schools and deny marriage equality for a longer time. They would probably also jump on the chance to put women back into the 1950's and remove all bodily autonomy like these theocrats are want to do.

They're not this dumb.If this proposal passes, I think they'll respect every point of the Constitution and do everything to not break it.Otherwise, I'm sure that if they did break it, they'd be under fire within a day and wouldn't be able to maintain their "Christian State" anymore.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:46 am

I declare anyone who backs this bill a traitor to the very idea of what America stands for.
Last edited by Russels Orbiting Teapot on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:47 am

Hanchu wrote:
Jute wrote:How so?

Religion state

Less violent, though, and this is only supposed to be symbolic for a single state.
Knockturn Alley wrote:
Jute wrote:That's what people want anyway, don't they?

They do? I shudder to think what sort of a country that would be...maybe if it was located in the middle east, they could have a scuffle with the isis

Well, I was referring to people arguing against Statism.

Arcanda
Diplomat

Postby Arcanda » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:47 am

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:
Arcanda wrote:Technically speaking: Would it have any effect on laws? Would it be detrimental to any non-Christian?

Shall we go ahead and set fire to the rest of the constitution as well

They said it wouldn't impact laws.We have no proof it would.

The Nexus of Man
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nexus of Man » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:48 am

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:I declare anyone who backs this bill a traitor to the very idea of what America stands for.

I'm a traitor to a nation riding on the backs of foreign interests, then.

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:48 am

Arcanda wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:I guarantee you that's not how it will happen. At the very, very least, were it to pass, they would be able to force Christianity into schools and deny marriage equality for a longer time. They would probably also jump on the chance to put women back into the 1950's and remove all bodily autonomy like these theocrats are want to do.

They're not this dumb.If this proposal passes, I think they'll respect every point of the Constitution and do everything to not break it.Otherwise, I'm sure that if they did break it, they'd be under fire within a day and wouldn't be able to maintain their "Christian State" anymore.

Well luckily for us, it literally can't pass because it's directly against the establishment clause.
I scream a lot.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:48 am

Arcanda wrote:They're not this dumb.If this proposal passes, I think they'll respect every point of the Constitution and do everything to not break it.Otherwise, I'm sure that if they did break it, they'd be under fire within a day and wouldn't be able to maintain their "Christian State" anymore.

Which Republican party have you been watching? 'Cause this one loves violating the constitution.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:48 am

Arcanda wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:I guarantee you that's not how it will happen. At the very, very least, were it to pass, they would be able to force Christianity into schools and deny marriage equality for a longer time. They would probably also jump on the chance to put women back into the 1950's and remove all bodily autonomy like these theocrats are want to do.

Most people are actually not in favor of this proposal, but wary of being called "Un-Christian"...

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:49 am

Arcanda wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:Shall we go ahead and set fire to the rest of the constitution as well

They said it wouldn't impact laws.We have no proof it would.

And you have no proof it wouldn't.
If they didn't want to change anything they wouldn't be trying to make this pass.
I scream a lot.

Argonoby
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Argonoby » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:49 am

Knockturn Alley wrote:
Hanchu wrote:Religion state

It starts out with simply labeling then people get angry because no one else will accept their ideology, then they become radical. this is horrible because those non-christian are basically being told that they're not welcome unless they praise jebus. This can spin out of control very quickly if not contained, soon texas, mississippi, alabama, tennesee, other majority conservative states will adopt this ideology and those who question in will be considered satan lovers whom need to be taught a "lesson". it's a slippery slope.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General