NATION

PASSWORD

Should We Stop Calling Asexuality Asexuality

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:53 pm

New Baldonia wrote:
Dain II Ironfoot wrote:There's a difference between the two. A sexual person experiences sexual attraction to another person (wether this to be a romantic partner or a random person), asexuals don't get that feeling.
Let me put it down otherwise, sexual people see an attractive person or date an attractive person. At some point (this can be instantly or it can take some time) they get the desire to have sex with them.
Asexuals never get that, they see an attractive person, notice that the person is attractive, and walk on. Same goes with a romantic partner, they love them and all, but will never have a desire to have sex with them, yet they can have sex with them (to pleassure the partner) and they can enjoy having sex with them (pleassure for yourself).

ok, I understand what you're getting at now.

I still fail to see the point in giving this a name though. You could still just tell someone flat out how you feel about sex and your partner would undoubtedly understand you far more than if you just said "I'm asexual". If you're not planning on engaging in intercourse with someone, then is there really a need to go more in depth than "I'm just not big into sex"?

YES. First of all, because it is like any other sexuality. It deserves recognition and awareness. Because partners are not often the most understanding outright so you have to set boundaries. If someone says "I'm asexual" that is a whole fuck of a lot clearer and more accurate than "I'm just not big into sex." Asexual people can greatly enjoy sex, so that's straight up inaccurate to say. And "I'm asexual" does a lot more to create boundaries within the relationship than "meh I just don't feel like it." A person who tells someone "I'm asexual" outright is letting that partner know that there is no changing their sexual experience. Whereas far too often just telling them that you aren't "into" will cause the partner to believe that you just need time to change and then suddenly there's gonna be dick sucking everywhere. Which can result in pressuring the person. Identification is extremely important for a myriad of reasons, not just the ones I've listed. Before online communities became popular, asexuals often felt isolated, alone, and like something was wrong with them. Once communities sprang up that showed that there were others out there who were similar, asexuality gained some foothold to be addresses as normal, natural, and not something to hate yourself over.
You wouldn't try to take that away from homosexuals, so don't take it away from asexuals.
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:56 pm

Dain II Ironfoot wrote:
New Baldonia wrote:
ok, I understand what you're getting at now.

I still fail to see the point in giving this a name though. You could still just tell someone flat out how you feel about sex and your partner would undoubtedly understand you far more than if you just said "I'm asexual". If you're not planning on engaging in intercourse with someone, then is there really a need to go more in depth than "I'm just not big into sex"?

In a way you do certainly have a point, though as you know people got to have names for everything these days. I personally don't bother at all about the name, i wouldn't even bother about it if it wouldn't have a name at all. Fact is that when i tell people i'm asexual most of them don't know what it is and i still need to explain it anyways.

That's a good thing. Asexual visibility is still very low, and anything that can create a dynamic of communication is exceptionally important. Saying "I don't like sex" often ends up with these people being berated and judged more, and told "well you just haven't had GOOD sex yet!" but as more and more people begin to realize that sexualities are normal, natural, and okay, the fact that asexuality is declared as a fundamentally different form of sexuality than homo, hetero, and bisexuality improves the chances that others are going to see asexuality just as normal, natural, and okay as they see those other three.
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Dain II Ironfoot
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dain II Ironfoot » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:23 pm

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:
Dain II Ironfoot wrote:
In a way you do certainly have a point, though as you know people got to have names for everything these days. I personally don't bother at all about the name, i wouldn't even bother about it if it wouldn't have a name at all. Fact is that when i tell people i'm asexual most of them don't know what it is and i still need to explain it anyways.

That's a good thing. Asexual visibility is still very low, and anything that can create a dynamic of communication is exceptionally important. Saying "I don't like sex" often ends up with these people being berated and judged more, and told "well you just haven't had GOOD sex yet!" but as more and more people begin to realize that sexualities are normal, natural, and okay, the fact that asexuality is declared as a fundamentally different form of sexuality than homo, hetero, and bisexuality improves the chances that others are going to see asexuality just as normal, natural, and okay as they see those other three.

I agree, though its often hard to explain exactly what it is since its a pretty big term. Anyhow, in my case (once explained) they all understood it eventually and didn't really seem to bother about it, including the ones i had sex with. I just hope sometimes that people would know what it meant as it can get really annoying to explain it at some occasions.
A Dwarf is not short, he is concentrated in every aspect.
Tradition must be respected, for it is the voice of our ancestors.
There's nothing as sure in the world as the glitter of gold, and the treachery of Elves.
Tanar Durin Nur!

New Baldonia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Baldonia » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:58 pm

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:YES. First of all, because it is like any other sexuality. It deserves recognition and awareness. Because partners are not often the most understanding outright so you have to set boundaries.

if its a partner that you're talking to, then I assume you'd explain it in detail to them privately, like you would with anything related to sex.
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:If someone says "I'm asexual" that is a whole fuck of a lot clearer and more accurate than "I'm just not big into sex."

if this thread is an indication of anything, saying "i'm asexual" does the exact opposite.
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:Asexual people can greatly enjoy sex, so that's straight up inaccurate to say.

But if you're not planning to have sex with someone, then why bring it up in the first place? If you are wanting to have sex, then you can have a one on one chat and explain it to them. And its not like you'd get tired of explaining it, since asexuals only have sex a few times a year on their own if what I've been told is correct. And if its with someone they're dating, then they'd only need to explain the situation once.
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:And "I'm asexual" does a lot more to create boundaries within the relationship than "meh I just don't feel like it." A person who tells someone "I'm asexual" outright is letting that partner know that there is no changing their sexual experience. Whereas far too often just telling them that you aren't "into" will cause the partner to believe that you just need time to change and then suddenly there's gonna be dick sucking everywhere. Which can result in pressuring the person.

Again, if you have this chat with them, in the same way you would if say, you were into bdsm or something, then this won't be an issue. If it does turn out to be an issue, despite telling them about it, then either explain it again in a different way, or leave them for someone else.
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:You wouldn't try to take that away from homosexuals, so don't take it away from asexuals.

Homosexuals don't have the issue of not being able to consistently define what makes their sexuality different from everyone else's
Last edited by New Baldonia on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defcon: 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 ---
"We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered"

Dain II Ironfoot
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dain II Ironfoot » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:08 pm

New Baldonia wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:YES. First of all, because it is like any other sexuality. It deserves recognition and awareness. Because partners are not often the most understanding outright so you have to set boundaries.

if its a partner that you're talking to, then I assume you'd explain it in detail to them privately, like you would with anything related to sex.
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:If someone says "I'm asexual" that is a whole fuck of a lot clearer and more accurate than "I'm just not big into sex."

if this thread is an indication of anything, saying "i'm asexual" does the exact opposite.
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:Asexual people can greatly enjoy sex, so that's straight up inaccurate to say.

But if you're not planning to have sex with someone, then why bring it up in the first place? If you are wanting to have sex, then you can have a one on one chat and explain it to them. And its not like you'd get tired of explaining it, since asexuals only have sex a few times a year on their own if what I've been told is correct. And if its with someone they're dating, then they'd only need to explain the situation once.
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:And "I'm asexual" does a lot more to create boundaries within the relationship than "meh I just don't feel like it." A person who tells someone "I'm asexual" outright is letting that partner know that there is no changing their sexual experience. Whereas far too often just telling them that you aren't "into" will cause the partner to believe that you just need time to change and then suddenly there's gonna be dick sucking everywhere. Which can result in pressuring the person.

Again, if you have this chat with them, in the same way you would if say, you were into bdsm or something, then this won't be an issue. If it does turn out to be an issue, despite telling them about it, then either explain it again in a different way, or leave them for someone else.
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:You wouldn't try to take that away from homosexuals, so don't take it away from asexuals.

Homosexuals don't have the issue of not being able to consistently define what makes their sexuality different from everyone else's

Some don't have sex at all, some have more sex and others less. It really depends on the person itself.

Asexuals don't either. It are actually sexual people who often don't understand it, this while its actually still pretty clear: Asexual people do not feel sexually attracted to other people.
Last edited by Dain II Ironfoot on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A Dwarf is not short, he is concentrated in every aspect.
Tradition must be respected, for it is the voice of our ancestors.
There's nothing as sure in the world as the glitter of gold, and the treachery of Elves.
Tanar Durin Nur!

United Earthlings
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United Earthlings » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:33 pm

Until such time wherein the definition of Asexual has been expanded especially within regard to the medical field, people referring to themselves as such is nonsensical.

That stated, I'm personally fine with people calling themselves whatever the damn hell they want to, after all life is but, an amusing journey.
Commonwealth Defence Export|OC Thread for Storefront|Write-Ups
Embassy Page|Categories Types

You may delay, but time will not, therefore make sure to enjoy the time you've wasted.

Welcome to the NSverse, where funding priorities and spending levels may seem very odd, to say the least.

Previous

Return to General