NATION

PASSWORD

What are some strange American customs?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:35 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:If you call crisps "chips," then what you get with fish & chips are called "fries." I've never heard of anybody calling them both "chips."

....I call them chips.

Both kinds? Wouldn't that get confusing?
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:40 am

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:
....I call them chips.

Nope. Chips are chips. You just call them fries, much in the same way lollies are "candy", nappies are "diapers", dummies are "pacifiers" and the footpath is a "sidewalk".

THEY'RE THE SAME DAMNED THING. THEY'RE MADE FROM POTATO, COVERED IN CONDIMENTS AND DIPPED (OR IN MY CASE, NOT DIPPED AT ALL BECAUSE I HATE TOMATO SAUCE).
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:45 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

Nope. Chips are chips. You just call them fries, much in the same way lollies are "candy", nappies are "diapers", dummies are "pacifiers" and the footpath is a "sidewalk".

THEY'RE THE SAME DAMNED THING. THEY'RE MADE FROM POTATO, COVERED IN CONDIMENTS AND DIPPED (OR IN MY CASE, NOT DIPPED AT ALL BECAUSE I HATE TOMATO SAUCE).

You can dip chips. Plain ruffles dipped in French Onion dip are excellent for snacking or parties.

Granted, you can also enjoy ketchup chips without dipping French fries in ketchup (but only if you live in Canada).

edit: tag fail.
Last edited by Dakini on Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:33 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

Do you have an actual point other than you hate ketchup?

I feel the same way about ketchup. I just don't get what the purpose of the conversation is supposed to be at this point. If you just wanted to tell me that fries are called "chips" in your dialect of English, well, OK -- to each his own, but that's not exactly a revelation. I am well aware that there are dialects where they are called "chips."
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:38 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Something I don't exactly find weird, rather taxing at times depending on the level of vitriol from the speaker, a situation with which to draw parallels with my country, is the schism that some keep alive down here, in the South, regarding being a part of the union. There's a certain nationalism down here, and I often think that the mentality is ''we're unified but separate, so don't you Yanks forget it''. (I doubt anyone really wants to secede, they may say so loudly, and it is more prevalent in some areas and not others, but I'm not sure that deep down the sentiment is real) A sentiment that seems to be mirrored up North, although I think that most people north of the Mason-Dixon line would rather the page was turned. It's been way more than a century since the end of the Civil War. Why is the grudge kept alive?

Southern and Northern perspectives welcomed, in TGs if you don't want to discuss it openly.

Because we did a shitty job of Reconstruction and a lot of the ideological differences and racial divisions that created the Civil War in the first place were not corrected. There is also the fact that American schools are mostly controlled by the states rather than the federal government. I think recently there have been some efforts to move toward a more standardized system, but there is still a lot of inconsistency from state to state. If people are starting with different "facts," then of course they will come to different conclusions.

That makes sense. But wouldn't pushing for a more standardize system cause a backlash?
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:39 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Because we did a shitty job of Reconstruction and a lot of the ideological differences and racial divisions that created the Civil War in the first place were not corrected. There is also the fact that American schools are mostly controlled by the states rather than the federal government. I think recently there have been some efforts to move toward a more standardized system, but there is still a lot of inconsistency from state to state. If people are starting with different "facts," then of course they will come to different conclusions.

That makes sense. But wouldn't pushing for a more standardize system cause a backlash?

Yes, there are people who oppose it.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:40 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Guess there's no easy way to fix it.

However, thanks for offering your perspective. :)
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:40 pm

That people believe an author of fiction uses historical evidence to support the idea that Christopher Columbus thought the world was flat.

Which of-course would have made them an embarrassment to anyone at the time who knew about Aristotle.
Last edited by Benuty on Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:16 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

Those sorts of long-running conflicts are never easy to fix, no matter what country you're in.

Here in Massachusetts, the opposition to Common Core is mostly, "It ain't broke; don't fix it! We have the best schools in the country so why should we let anyone from out-of-state have a say in how we run them!" Massachusetts legitimately does have good schools, though.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:51 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Those sorts of long-running conflicts are never easy to fix, no matter what country you're in.

Here in Massachusetts, the opposition to Common Core is mostly, "It ain't broke; don't fix it! We have the best schools in the country so why should we let anyone from out-of-state have a say in how we run them!" Massachusetts legitimately does have good schools, though.

I hear that your social programs works quite well too,
Slava Ukraini

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:31 pm

Okay, I know that as an 11 year immigrant I shouldn't have any gripes nor should I find any customs weird, but I do. I'm sorry.

I do not get what is the fascination with the religious. I simply do not get what is the deal with most religious people coming up with the most backward-ass ideas on how to implement their policies in a secular government.

Maybe it's because I come from a developing country where people have other shit to do than being religious and we're not that religious to begin with (or we realize religion is private).
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:Okay, I know that as an 11 year immigrant I shouldn't have any gripes nor should I find any customs weird, but I do. I'm sorry.

I do not get what is the fascination with the religious. I simply do not get what is the deal with most religious people coming up with the most backward-ass ideas on how to implement their policies in a secular government.

Maybe it's because I come from a developing country where people have other shit to do than being religious and we're not that religious to begin with (or we realize religion is private).

No, no, you're right on target with that.

Confederate Ramenia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Confederate Ramenia » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:13 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:Okay, I know that as an 11 year immigrant I shouldn't have any gripes nor should I find any customs weird, but I do. I'm sorry.

Developing country less religious than US? What country is that? Anyway, "public" religion is only in some places. The US is more diverse than most foreigners think.
The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is a genuine workers' state in which all the people are completely liberated from exploitation and oppression. The workers, peasants, soldiers and intellectuals are the true masters of their destiny and are in a unique position to defend their interests.
The Flutterlands wrote:Because human life and dignity is something that should be universally valued above all things in society.

Benito Mussolini wrote:Everybody has the right to create for himself his own ideology and to attempt to enforce it with all the energy of which he is capable.

I disown most of my previous posts

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:49 pm

Forsher wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
It is understood quite well. Maybe not by you, with your penchant for making a fuss about everything regarding English, but hey, who the fuck cares.

And, again, "doesn't mean that it actually does make sense", "that doesn't even make sense" =/= "not understood".

What I am saying is that "breaded" is a totally inaccurate description of what happens because a) it would suggest that it you've made something into bread and, more importantly, b) the crumbs are not always bread crumbs (as your source points out). The argument deploys the logic: because the term is inaccurate, the term lacks sense. It is not, as you seem to think, "because the term is inaccurate, people cannot make sense of it". They obviously can (as I have pointed out: "Obviously it's what people say and find meaning with."), but because the term is inaccurate that shouldn't be the case.

tl;dr, there are multiple meanings of sense, you've run with the wrong one.

Welcome to different regional dialects. Here in America we have five hundred different words for Pop/Soda/Cola/Coke.
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:46 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

In some ways, yes. In other ways, no. We have more social programs than most states, but we still have a lot of homelessness (at least compared to the states north of us) because of the large population and high cost of living. Sometimes it's difficult for the state government to keep up with everything.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:48 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:
Forsher wrote:
And, again, "doesn't mean that it actually does make sense", "that doesn't even make sense" =/= "not understood".

What I am saying is that "breaded" is a totally inaccurate description of what happens because a) it would suggest that it you've made something into bread and, more importantly, b) the crumbs are not always bread crumbs (as your source points out). The argument deploys the logic: because the term is inaccurate, the term lacks sense. It is not, as you seem to think, "because the term is inaccurate, people cannot make sense of it". They obviously can (as I have pointed out: "Obviously it's what people say and find meaning with."), but because the term is inaccurate that shouldn't be the case.

Welcome to different regional dialects. Here in America we have five hundred different words for Pop/Soda/Cola/Coke.

You mean tonic?

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:28 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Forsher wrote:

*sigh* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_crumbs#Breading
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/breading
I'm not going to enter into an idiotic argument with you because there no sense in it. I'll just let the definitions talk.

:palm:

How many times do I have to explain that you're not understanding what you're reading? That is not what I am saying. And if you think it is, your English isn't as good as it appears.

Zeinbrad wrote:Welcome to different regional dialects. Here in America we have five hundred different words for Pop/Soda/Cola/Coke.

Same goes for you, genius.

"doesn't mean that it actually does make sense", "that doesn't even make sense" =/= "not understood".

"Obviously it's what people say and find meaning with."

For yet another time, it's like talking to a God damn brick wall, breading is inaccurate. People understand it and use it in their every day lives but, as a word, it objectively isn't as appropriate as crumbing when you consider what is actually involved and that the crumbs AREN"T NECESSARILY BREAD CRUMBS. I mean, for Christ's sake, it's not Latin. Ever heard of a misnomer? Same bloody principle.

The incredibly deadly snake. They know what it is. They also see that the word is inappropriate and inaccurate. Doesn't mean that people don't understand and find meaning with the word (i.e. it has sense for people), doesn't mean that the name makes sense. Breadind/breaded = the incredibly deadly snake.

I think I'll chuck another one of these in, just to drive home the enormous failure to understand a very simple idea:

p.s. a very angry 13000th post. I mean, Jesus... *shakes head*
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:16 am

People think Brazilians speak something really alike Spanish (if not Spanish itself), but they think we're Russian based on our accents. Which despised ethnic category do we belong to in the end?!

This, the US makes Brazil look progressive sometimes and I really love them for that because it's a black hole of a logical contradiction!

Nevermind we just banned giving alcohol to minors with quite high prison sentences, in the country that insists on focusing on arresting people due to violation of property or drug-related crime rather than crimes against life. Right-winger politicians are why people can't have nice things everywhere.
Kotturheim's contagious despair.
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

In some ways, yes. In other ways, no. We have more social programs than most states, but we still have a lot of homelessness (at least compared to the states north of us) because of the large population and high cost of living. Sometimes it's difficult for the state government to keep up with everything.

I often think homelessness, no matter how good the social safety net is, is not something that a state will be able to completely stamp out. It can be reduced, but since not every homeless person out there is in that situation because they're jobless (there are many homeless people out there who are also mentally ill), there will probably be people living in the streets always.
Slava Ukraini

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:14 pm

Forsher wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
*sigh* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_crumbs#Breading
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/breading
I'm not going to enter into an idiotic argument with you because there no sense in it. I'll just let the definitions talk.

How many times do I have to explain that you're not understanding what you're reading? That is not what I am saying. And if you think it is, your English isn't as good as it appears.

Zeinbrad wrote:Welcome to different regional dialects. Here in America we have five hundred different words for Pop/Soda/Cola/Coke.

Same goes for you, genius.

"doesn't mean that it actually does make sense", "that doesn't even make sense" =/= "not understood".

"Obviously it's what people say and find meaning with."

For yet another time, it's like talking to a God damn brick wall, breading is inaccurate. People understand it and use it in their every day lives but, as a word, it objectively isn't as appropriate as crumbing when you consider what is actually involved and that the crumbs AREN"T NECESSARILY BREAD CRUMBS. I mean, for Christ's sake, it's not Latin. Ever heard of a misnomer? Same bloody principle.

The incredibly deadly snake. They know what it is. They also see that the word is inappropriate and inaccurate. Doesn't mean that people don't understand and find meaning with the word (i.e. it has sense for people), doesn't mean that the name makes sense. Breadind/breaded = the incredibly deadly snake.

I think I'll chuck another one of these in, just to drive home the enormous failure to understand a very simple idea:

p.s. a very angry 13000th post. I mean, Jesus... *shakes head*

You're the only one who has gripes with that word. Get over it. It is understood and as Zeibrand said, dialects. Get over it.
Slava Ukraini

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:23 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

I often think homelessness, no matter how good the social safety net is, is not something that a state will be able to completely stamp out. It can be reduced, but since not every homeless person out there is in that situation because they're jobless (there are many homeless people out there who are also mentally ill), there will probably be people living in the streets always.

Utah is ending homelessness.

But obviously a much more urbanized, densely populated state like Massachusetts will obviously have more trouble.

Ending urban homelessness would almost definitely require the federal government to help out, as they have the funds. We'd need some sort of unconditional rent assistance benefit, or a massive increase in the amount of social housing. And we'd actually need a welfare system in the first place.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:27 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Utah is ending homelessness.

But obviously a much more urbanized, densely populated state like Massachusetts will obviously have more trouble.

Ending urban homelessness would almost definitely require the federal government to help out, as they have the funds. We'd need some sort of unconditional rent assistance benefit, or a massive increase in the amount of social housing. And we'd actually need a welfare system in the first place.

Last I read, they had reduced it by 75%.

How do you figure the feds can go about establishing a good welfare system?
Slava Ukraini

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:01 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're the only one who has gripes with that word. Get over it. It is understood and as Zeibrand said, dialects. Get over it.

And this is where you reveal you either don't understand or haven't been reading anything I've written. I am not saying, for the umpteenth time, that people do not understand what breaded means. If you think that there are either two options. One, you don't understand what this means: "Obviously it's what people say and find meaning with." Two, you've literally not bothered to read any of my posts and have, instead, arrogantly decided that you know exactly what I've written and have, in your hubris, decided to respond to what you think I've said. And, as a result, you have time and time again repeated the same thing back like some two year old who's just learnt a new word (namely, "But people understand it! Look at me I'm so incredibly clever!").

Zeibrand would be correct if we were talking about crips, chips and french fries or bonnet versus hood, because those are literally just examples of two different words being used. In those cases we don't have a situation where a name is inaccurate. Crisp, chip and french fry all make sense (note, again, that different meaning of sense - although I think again is inaccurate following that you either didn't note it before or didn't read it) because a crisp is crispy but it's also a chip. And a chip is fried and, I believe, originally invented/popularised in France or some such so French fry is pretty accurate. A bonnet is similar to a hood, and in this context the bonnet is that thing that covers the engine of a car (which is sort of like the car's head).

So, if you want to create a rebuttal to something I've said, it really would help if the rebuttal is, in any way, relevant to what I am saying. You can't do that because the only defence of breading, as a term, is that people already use it. It, as your links have pointed out, quite simply not as accurate as crumbing due to not all crumbs having come from bread. I also have the further argument that breading suggests adding bread, as opposed to crumbs, when you just consider the word, removed from the context of knowing what either means in the first place.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:07 pm

Forsher wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're the only one who has gripes with that word. Get over it. It is understood and as Zeibrand said, dialects. Get over it.

And this is where you reveal you either don't understand or haven't been reading anything I've written. I am not saying, for the umpteenth time, that people do not understand what breaded means. If you think that there are either two options. One, you don't understand what this means: "Obviously it's what people say and find meaning with." Two, you've literally not bothered to read any of my posts and have, instead, arrogantly decided that you know exactly what I've written and have, in your hubris, decided to respond to what you think I've said. And, as a result, you have time and time again repeated the same thing back like some two year old who's just learnt a new word (namely, "But people understand it! Look at me I'm so incredibly clever!").

Zeibrand would be correct if we were talking about crips, chips and french fries or bonnet versus hood, because those are literally just examples of two different words being used. In those cases we don't have a situation where a name is inaccurate. Crisp, chip and french fry all make sense (note, again, that different meaning of sense - although I think again is inaccurate following that you either didn't note it before or didn't read it) because a crisp is crispy but it's also a chip. And a chip is fried and, I believe, originally invented/popularised in France or some such so French fry is pretty accurate. A bonnet is similar to a hood, and in this context the bonnet is that thing that covers the engine of a car (which is sort of like the car's head).

So, if you want to create a rebuttal to something I've said, it really would help if the rebuttal is, in any way, relevant to what I am saying. You can't do that because the only defence of breading, as a term, is that people already use it. It, as your links have pointed out, quite simply not as accurate as crumbing due to not all crumbs having come from bread. I also have the further argument that breading suggests adding bread, as opposed to crumbs, when you just consider the word, removed from the context of knowing what either means in the first place.

And you need to get over yourself. Or keep griping. Either way, irrelevant.
Slava Ukraini

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:31 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:And you need to get over yourself. Or keep griping. Either way, irrelevant.

Thanks for admitting that you were wrong. :)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General