NATION

PASSWORD

The Afterlife

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe in an afterlife?

Yes
42%
No
41%
I'm not sure
17%

Total votes : 176

Devvo Mate
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Devvo Mate » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:44 am

Auroya wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:Please don't project your self-loathing onto the rest of us.

The universe doesn't care if we think we deserve to have an afterlife. All the evidence points to there being none.

Are you replying to the wrong post?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:46 am

I do like how the OP is pretending like my post that dismantled his OP and demonstrated his claims that there's scientific support for an afterlife is nonsense doesn't exist.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:47 am

Devvo Mate wrote:
Sanctissima wrote:From all I've gathered about human nature in my life, I think it would be quite to the contrary. Man tends to want to live eternally. I think there's few who would yearn for nothingness.

Fuuuuuck that, the idea of eternal existence is far more horrifying than eternal nonexistence.

I believe you'd be in the minority of opinion on this matter.

But, yes, I can see how certain afterlife scenarios could be frightening.

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:48 am

Mavorpen wrote:I do like how the OP is pretending like my post that dismantled his OP and demonstrated his claims that there's scientific support for an afterlife is nonsense doesn't exist.

I have to take a shit. If you really want my attention, I'll reply to your post after I've had my daily bowel movement.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:48 am

Devvo Mate wrote:
Sanctissima wrote:From all I've gathered about human nature in my life, I think it would be quite to the contrary. Man tends to want to live eternally. I think there's few who would yearn for nothingness.

Fuuuuuck that, the idea of eternal existence is far more horrifying than eternal nonexistence.

I think anyone who wants eternal existence without caveats such as amnesia or suicide when you want, hasn't really given much thought to how long eternal actually is.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devvo Mate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Devvo Mate » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:48 am

Sanctissima wrote:I believe you'd be in the minority of opinion on this matter.

But, yes, I can see how certain afterlife scenarios could be frightening.

Not even certain situations like Hell or whatever, the idea of an unbroken continuous existence for endless aeons horrifies me.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:49 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Devvo Mate wrote:

I think anyone who wants eternal existence without caveats such as amnesia or suicide when you want, hasn't really given much thought to how long eternal actually is.

We already forget stuff over time. It'd probably be ok. Maybe.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:49 am

Sanctissima wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:I do like how the OP is pretending like my post that dismantled his OP and demonstrated his claims that there's scientific support for an afterlife is nonsense doesn't exist.

I have to take a shit. If you really want my attention, I'll reply to your post after I've had my daily bowel movement.

How convenient.

I won't hold my breath.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:50 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Devvo Mate wrote:

Well I suspect time would appear to flow normally for the first few hundred years but would soon "pick up speed" and after some time, thousands of years would seem like hundreds...eventually millions and billions of years would seem like hundreds...and so on.
NSG's one and only Constitutional Executive Monarcho-Corporatist!
100% Pro-Women Pro-Babies Pro-Life!!!

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:51 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Sanctissima wrote:

How convenient.

I won't hold my breath.

I would. :rofl:

my humor is childish today.

Devvo Mate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Devvo Mate » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:52 am

Vazdaria wrote:Well I suspect time would appear to flow normally for the first few hundred years but would soon "pick up speed" and after some time, thousands of years would seem like hundreds...eventually millions and billions of years would seem like hundreds...and so on.

Right but after ten quadrillion years I think you'd just get sick of everything.

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:52 am

Devvo Mate wrote:
Vazdaria wrote:Well I suspect time would appear to flow normally for the first few hundred years but would soon "pick up speed" and after some time, thousands of years would seem like hundreds...eventually millions and billions of years would seem like hundreds...and so on.

Right but after ten quadrillion years I think you'd just get sick of everything.

If you had the ability to feel that way.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:54 am

Vazdaria wrote:
Devvo Mate wrote:

If you had the ability to feel that way.

So heaven is a lobotomy special.
Sounds darling.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:55 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Vazdaria wrote:If you had the ability to feel that way.

So heaven is a lobotomy special.
Sounds darling.

:roll:

1 lobotomy special coming right up.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:56 am

Devvo Mate wrote:

I mean... just think of the escalation in sexual matters alone.

I don't know about you, but I start looking to spice things up after just a few weeks. After a hundred million years? There wouldn't be anything left that was kinky enough to get you off. Not even in Japan.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:58 am

Sun Wukong wrote:
Devvo Mate wrote:

I don't know about you, but I start looking to spice things up after just a few weeks. After a hundred million years? There wouldn't be anything left that was kinky enough to get you off. Not even in Japan.

well now you sounds like a Mormon..... they believe in procreation after death, you know.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:58 am

Sun Wukong wrote:
Devvo Mate wrote:

I dunno. Depends on your personality. Some people are happy rehashing the same visceral things over and over and over.
I like to mix things up, but repetition has it's charms.
For instance, I usually have my dinners on rotation for about a year then switch them around to avoid feeling boring, but I suspect if people didnt judge me for it i'd just keep the same rotation going because it's annoying to calculate a new diet.

With sex that'd be the repitition of a few old favorites and reliving the same perfect days over and over.
Every million years or so, switch it up. Nothing says you can't go back to an old routine after a while once it'll feel fresher.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:59 am

Vazdaria wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:I mean... just think of the escalation in sexual matters alone.

well now you sounds like a Mormon..... they believe in procreation after death, you know.

If there isn't then what's the point?

We should all beg for oblivion.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:59 am

Sun Wukong wrote:
Devvo Mate wrote:

This is personally why I prefer Nirvana/Moksha. So much simpler and less hedonistic.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:01 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:We already forget stuff over time. It'd probably be ok. Maybe.

We do forget details but we trend to remember that it occurred - for instance people can identify if they have seen the picture before, what is more difficult is what someone said when they saw that picture. Obviously we still dont understand lot about how memory works, but given research indicating we do remember occurrences, over eternal time you would remember that you went around that joyride several times and doing it again is simply boring.

Yes but no matter how much it picks up speed, you are going to experience eternal time - its like counting to infinity, no matter how fast you count or how many numbers in middle you miss out, you are never going to reach infinity.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:01 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:I mean... just think of the escalation in sexual matters alone.

I dunno. Depends on your personality. Some people are happy rehashing the same visceral things over and over and over.
I like to mix things up, but repetition has it's charms.
For instance, I usually have my dinners on rotation for about a year then switch them around to avoid feeling boring, but I suspect if people didnt judge me for it i'd just keep the same rotation going because it's annoying to calculate a new diet.

With sex that'd be the repitition of a few old favorites and reliving the same perfect days over and over.
Every million years or so, switch it up. Nothing says you can't go back to an old routine after a while once it'll feel fresher.

Couple this with constant escalation of skill and you have some real fun.
Just imagine what the 9 billionth starcraft tournament will look like.
Or the 10 trillionth civil war re-enactment with real muskets and who cares, lets have a war, not like we'll actually die. Armies full of supersoldiers.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:01 am

So, Mr. Wolf, are you not answering mine question?
Conscentia wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:Well, I'm kind of torn between reincarnation and Rene Guenon's view of the afterlife, but yes, I would say that I believe in a form of existence after death.

Why would you believe that?

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:05 am

Conscentia wrote:So, Mr. Wolf,

Totally sigging this.
Conscentia wrote:are you not answering mine question?
Conscentia wrote:Why would you believe that?

No, I'm simply thinking of a way to respond to it. Unless you prefer a quick one-liner to a detailed, well thought out post.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:06 am

I'll get back to you when I have my answer.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:07 am

Damn, Atheists are sad. You think more of them would be depressed. :p
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General