NATION

PASSWORD

Government overreach is a heinous crime.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Government overreach is a heinous crime.

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:48 am

Senator Tillis has our backs though.

So, how much overreach is too much overreach? Where's that nebulous sweet spot that puts everything into the Goldlocks zone of "not touching my tacos with your junk funk" and "not invading my uterus with a Senate Committee"?

There's a balance to be had here, and the US (despite what some may think) is actually one of the better countries in the world at handling that balance.

I'm just not terribly sure that we should call health and sanitation regulations "government overreach".

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:51 am

I always use health codes as a counterpoint to someone arguing against government regulation of business, because they seem like the sort of thing that it is impossible to be against. I guess I was wrong.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:52 am

Sdaeriji wrote:I always use health codes as a counterpoint to someone arguing against government regulation of business, because they seem like the sort of thing that it is impossible to be against. I guess I was wrong.

You must not live in America.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

Tyrinth
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tyrinth » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:52 am

The answer depends on the person. It's subjective.

That said, if you can't find attempts at overreach in America, you probably aren't looking very hard.
さあ、一緒に狂いましょう。
Ardoki wrote:Hitler was basically a libertarian, he supported the libertarian ideology of social Darwinism.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:53 am

Sdaeriji wrote:I always use health codes as a counterpoint to someone arguing against government regulation of business, because they seem like the sort of thing that it is impossible to be against. I guess I was wrong.

It is great that in the article someone posits that "the free market" would take care of the hand washing issue, so long as companies posted signs saying that they don't require hand washing.

Which requires the follow-up question, who's enforcing the sign posting?

New Werpland
Senator

Founded: Dec 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:56 am

The main flaw with this kind of liberal restriction of government, is that they don't take into account the individual's dependence on society. An Individual is created by his society, without a society people would have no preferences or beliefs, we would simply be empty(more realistically we would be like animals). Therefor the State can have a bigger role in people's lives than most liberals believe, because the voluntarist conception of a person is wrong.

(I edited this to make it sound better several times)
Last edited by New Werpland on Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:58 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:

It is great that in the article someone posits that "the free market" would take care of the hand washing issue, so long as companies posted signs saying that they don't require hand washing.

Which requires the follow-up question, who's enforcing the sign posting?

Yeah, that's necessarily the next question, isn't it? What's less intrusive about mandating the sign posting versus the actual hand washing?
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:10 am

I think the CDC would like to have a word with the good senator. :lol:
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:27 am

Government should only seek to protect and forward the public interest in the economy, but not in a way to hurt free enterprise where possible. Socially, the government should only protect the life, liberty, and property of indviduals, and not forward any notion of morality beyond, "thou shalt not kill," and, "thou shalt not steal/perjure."

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:45 am

The senator does have a point. Hand-washing requirements are about the most inane and impossible to enforce thing that could be introduced besides wearing gloves whilst pooping. If someone doesn't wash their hands, a sign that says they gotta isn't going to make them (one might compare it to the TSA. It's there to make the people who don't work there feel better) and there isn't, to my knowledge, any enforcement arm of the CDC dedicated to hand-washing requirements. Nor should there be. Because that's stupid as well. Just more stupid and more wasteful than needless signage.

That said, there are much better examples of government overreach, and much larger points of concern revolving around governmental interaction with the private sector (subsidies, military contracting, banking and market regulations being either too lenient or too strict varying on size of the company involved instead of broad law, etc.)
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:49 am

Occupied Deutschland wrote:The senator does have a point. Hand-washing requirements are about the most inane and impossible to enforce thing that could be introduced besides wearing gloves whilst pooping. If someone doesn't wash their hands, a sign that says they gotta isn't going to make them (one might compare it to the TSA. It's there to make the people who don't work there feel better) and there isn't, to my knowledge, any enforcement arm of the CDC dedicated to hand-washing requirements. Nor should there be. Because that's stupid as well. Just more stupid and more wasteful than needless signage.

That said, there are much better examples of government overreach, and much larger points of concern revolving around governmental interaction with the private sector (subsidies, military contracting, banking and market regulations being either too lenient or too strict varying on size of the company involved instead of broad law, etc.)

I have seen fines and penalties levied by health inspectors catching employees not washing their hands, though. It *does* exist as a thing.

Expecting companies that serve products for physical consumption to follow appropriate sanitation procedures isn't inane, it's essential to preventing a hell of a lot of lawsuits.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:54 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:The senator does have a point. Hand-washing requirements are about the most inane and impossible to enforce thing that could be introduced besides wearing gloves whilst pooping. If someone doesn't wash their hands, a sign that says they gotta isn't going to make them (one might compare it to the TSA. It's there to make the people who don't work there feel better) and there isn't, to my knowledge, any enforcement arm of the CDC dedicated to hand-washing requirements. Nor should there be. Because that's stupid as well. Just more stupid and more wasteful than needless signage.

I have seen fines and penalties levied by health inspectors catching employees not washing their hands, though. It *does* exist as a thing.

Expecting companies that serve products for physical consumption to follow appropriate sanitation procedures isn't inane, it's essential to preventing a hell of a lot of lawsuits.

They accompany employees into the bathroom?
These health inspectors are sounding incredibly creepy to me.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:56 am

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I have seen fines and penalties levied by health inspectors catching employees not washing their hands, though. It *does* exist as a thing.

They accompany employees into the bathroom?
These health inspectors are sounding incredibly creepy to me.

The health inspectors actually use the bathroom as a "customer". If they note an employee come in, they'll note whether or not they wash their hands. It's indicative of poor training, which is an area of concern if you're serving food. Not all inspections are announced.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:02 pm

I know I am not eating anything sen. Tills prepares.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Shilya
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shilya » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:28 pm

I think we should invite the good senator for dinner somewhere.

Then once he finished eating, we'll inform him that no one involved in making his dinner bothered to adhere to hand washing regulation.
Impeach freedom, government is welfare, Ron Paul is theft, legalize 2016!

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:29 pm

Shilya wrote:I think we should invite the good senator for dinner somewhere.

Then once he finished eating, we'll inform him that no one involved in making his dinner bothered to adhere to hand washing regulation.

So in other words a food truck? You don't have to tell him that. It's sort of an understanding that comes with getting food from one.
Last edited by Mike the Progressive on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shilya
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shilya » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:31 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Shilya wrote:I think we should invite the good senator for dinner somewhere.

So in other words a food truck? You don't have to tell him that. It's sort of an understanding that comes with getting food from one.

No, a regular place. Just gotta get them to lie to him if necessary. Or bribe them enough to offset any fine they may incur.
Impeach freedom, government is welfare, Ron Paul is theft, legalize 2016!

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:04 pm

It has all come together, I know what the GOPs replacement for The Affordable Healthcare Act is! A national pandemic that kills off the poor!

Think about it. More than one Republican presidential hopeful has within the last week said that vaccinations should be voluntary or in Rand Paul's case that they are proven to cause mental issues (a claim that has been scientifically debunked so many times that elementary students debunk it as a school project*). Now they have members of their party stepping forward to claim that its an abuse of government power for health inspectors and the CDC to require people that handle food and et all to wash their hands. Combine that with their insistence that people don't need to be able to afford to pay for doctor's visits when they get sick and it paints a picture of a national conspiracy to kill off the masses through infectious disease! They can just let nature do the job for them and then they don't have to feel guilty or take any direct actions - they just need to convince the paupers that they'll be fine wallowing in sewage without any sort of preventative measures or medical care and watch them drop like flies.

This is their plan for healthcare reform (if there are less poor people there will be less uninsured people to make unpaid ER visits) and their solution to poverty and income equality (kill off the poor via diseases). Fucking genius!**

*May be a hyperbolic statement on my part for further details check my signature.
** See above.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General