NATION

PASSWORD

Autism Spectrum Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I have...

Autism
16%
Asperger's Syndrome
66%
PDD-NOS
6%
Childhood Disintegrative Disorder
No votes
Other
12%

Total votes : 153

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Fri May 29, 2015 3:14 pm

Colonial Rhodesia wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Am I allowed to laugh now?

hell yes you are :rofl: we all Rhodesians

Okay, just making sure. *laughs*
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Dain II Ironfoot
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dain II Ironfoot » Fri May 29, 2015 5:45 pm

Colonial Rhodesia wrote:
Dain II Ironfoot wrote:
Sure, why not. Mugabe is an ass anyways.

tell me your skills and your age please and T.G. your friends P.S. I am 15

15? A bit young for such adventure don't you think. Aside from that, i'm not really into child soldiers and such ;)
A Dwarf is not short, he is concentrated in every aspect.
Tradition must be respected, for it is the voice of our ancestors.
There's nothing as sure in the world as the glitter of gold, and the treachery of Elves.
Tanar Durin Nur!

Colonial Rhodesia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Colonial Rhodesia » Sat May 30, 2015 5:16 am

Dain II Ironfoot wrote:
Colonial Rhodesia wrote:tell me your skills and your age please and T.G. your friends P.S. I am 15

15? A bit young for such adventure don't you think. Aside from that, i'm not really into child soldiers and such ;)

our Founder Cecil Rhodes was almost 16 when he left his native England for South Africa so for me this is only the beginnings of New Rhodesia and no I do not approve of Child Soldiers a Soldier must have the will to survive and Fight for his Homeland but first comes Education before the Battlefield when I am 20 I will live America for Zimbabwe with a Suitcase bearing a few articles of Clothing and the Green and White flag of Rhodesia I bought a few months ago also a Bushstroke uniform as well
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life."-Cecil John Rhodes
Fighting Communism North of the Zambesi since 1965

Traceynia
Envoy

Founded: Oct 30, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Traceynia » Sat May 30, 2015 6:04 am

Hello nsg autism community.

I myself do not have any form of autism but I work very closely with the autism community. I work in a group home for autistic people with severe intellectual impairment and I am also working on a masters degree in developmental disability with the intention of entering the field of applied behavior analysis.

I am curious if any of you guys have received or are receiving behavioral analysis services. When you were young did any of you receive early intervention services ?

If you did receive any of those services do you think they were beneficial? If you didn't did you wish you did?

Dain II Ironfoot
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Dain II Ironfoot » Sat May 30, 2015 6:32 am

Colonial Rhodesia wrote:
Dain II Ironfoot wrote:15? A bit young for such adventure don't you think. Aside from that, i'm not really into child soldiers and such ;)

our Founder Cecil Rhodes was almost 16 when he left his native England for South Africa so for me this is only the beginnings of New Rhodesia and no I do not approve of Child Soldiers a Soldier must have the will to survive and Fight for his Homeland but first comes Education before the Battlefield when I am 20 I will live America for Zimbabwe with a Suitcase bearing a few articles of Clothing and the Green and White flag of Rhodesia I bought a few months ago also a Bushstroke uniform as well

Well, i wish you the best of luck, let me know when you're 20, perhaps i'll join up ;)

Traceynia wrote:Hello nsg autism community.

I myself do not have any form of autism but I work very closely with the autism community. I work in a group home for autistic people with severe intellectual impairment and I am also working on a masters degree in developmental disability with the intention of entering the field of applied behavior analysis.

I am curious if any of you guys have received or are receiving behavioral analysis services. When you were young did any of you receive early intervention services ?

If you did receive any of those services do you think they were beneficial? If you didn't did you wish you did?

I have no idea actually, there have been so many people around to "help" me that i don't even know who did what in the end. My parents always wanted to help me out and so they tried pretty much everything, but nothing reallly helped me in the end, at this point i simply refuse if my parents find something new as i feel that it will be useless just like the other times where.
If you could explain what behavioral analysis services means i could perhaps recall if i recieved it at some point.
There's nothing as sure in the world as the glitter of gold, and the treachery of Elves.
Tanar Durin Nur!

Colonial Rhodesia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Colonial Rhodesia » Sat May 30, 2015 6:57 am

Dain II Ironfoot wrote:
Colonial Rhodesia wrote:our Founder Cecil Rhodes was almost 16 when he left his native England for South Africa so for me this is only the beginnings of New Rhodesia and no I do not approve of Child Soldiers a Soldier must have the will to survive and Fight for his Homeland but first comes Education before the Battlefield when I am 20 I will live America for Zimbabwe with a Suitcase bearing a few articles of Clothing and the Green and White flag of Rhodesia I bought a few months ago also a Bushstroke uniform as well

Well, i wish you the best of luck, let me know when you're 20, perhaps i'll join up ;)

I am curious if any of you guys have received or are receiving behavioral analysis services. When you were young did any of you receive early intervention services ?http://forum.nationstates.net/posting.php?mode=quote&f=20&p=24752390#

I have no idea actually, there have been so many people around to "help" me that i don't even know who did what in the end. My parents always wanted to help me out and so they tried pretty much everything, but nothing reallly helped me in the end, at this point i simply refuse if my parents find something new as i feel that it will be useless just like the other times where.
If you could explain what behavioral analysis services means i could perhaps recall if i recieved it at some point.

I will sir you will know it me if I am dressed in a Rhodesian army jacket and carrying a suitcase and a SKS on my shoulder
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life."-Cecil John Rhodes

Thervingia
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Thervingia » Sat May 30, 2015 6:58 am

I don't have autism, but I have a younger brother (who will be 8 in October) who has light autism (used to be harder, but we got him somewhat "fixed").
Hail Oblivion

Colonial Rhodesia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Colonial Rhodesia » Sat May 30, 2015 7:01 am

Thervingia wrote:I don't have autism, but I have a younger brother (who will be 8 in October) who has light autism (used to be harder, but we got him somewhat "fixed").

welcome to the club I am 15 and a Proud Rhodesian born in Michigan with Aspergers and loving it

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat May 30, 2015 10:16 am

Thervingia wrote:I don't have autism, but I have a younger brother (who will be 8 in October) who has light autism (used to be harder, but we got him somewhat "fixed").

One cannot necessarily fix Autism (I am aware you used quotations), besides the last time we let people with Autism get "fixed" a 12 year old boy had their brain altered forever (with an icepick). I am curious to how the Russians, and ex-soviet states deal with those on the Autism spectrum since many still buy into the antiquated propaganda of western decadence causing homosexuality.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Glorious KASSRD
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious KASSRD » Sat May 30, 2015 11:00 am

Benuty wrote:

One cannot necessarily fix Autism (I am aware you used quotations), besides the last time we let people with Autism get "fixed" a 12 year old boy had their brain altered forever (with an icepick). I am curious to how the Russians, and ex-soviet states deal with those on the Autism spectrum since many still buy into the antiquated propaganda of western decadence causing homosexuality.

Wait....What? When did this happen?

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat May 30, 2015 11:18 am

Glorious KASSRD wrote:
Benuty wrote:One cannot necessarily fix Autism (I am aware you used quotations), besides the last time we let people with Autism get "fixed" a 12 year old boy had their brain altered forever (with an icepick). I am curious to how the Russians, and ex-soviet states deal with those on the Autism spectrum since many still buy into the antiquated propaganda of western decadence causing homosexuality.

Wait....What? When did this happen?

Well back in the 1960s before Congress in the 1970s realized to their horror what they had allowed people to do in the name of science to "treat" mental illness, and other conditions. One of the major reasons consent forms are a thing in the U.S (otherwise we wouldn't have them).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Dully

http://autism-world.com/index.php/2007/ ... zophrenia/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehXHyEf-mts
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Glorious KASSRD
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious KASSRD » Sat May 30, 2015 11:22 am

Benuty wrote:
Glorious KASSRD wrote:Wait....What? When did this happen?

Well back in the 1960s before Congress in the 1970s realized to their horror what they had allowed people to do in the name of science to "treat" mental illness, and other conditions. One of the major reasons consent forms are a thing in the U.S (otherwise we wouldn't have them).

That's terrible. Destroys any remaining interest I may have had in wanting to get rid of autism.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat May 30, 2015 11:28 am

Glorious KASSRD wrote:
Benuty wrote:

That's terrible. Destroys any remaining interest I may have had in wanting to get rid of autism.

Mind you there are legitimate reasons in concern to the lower functioning without actually destroying brain matter (and often ones personality to boot). Of-course whether or not the scientific community comes up with something in the future is up to them. Yet organizations like Autism Speaks are not helping the issue at all with their outright pseudoscience they peddle to millions of parents who are just as convinced "autism is like the worst thing in existence". Mind you this not only generalizes the variety of conditions on the spectrum it dehumanizes the actual person to nothing more than a talking point for people who condone murder (as in it is ok for parents to murder their autistic children).

Thervingia
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Thervingia » Sat May 30, 2015 11:49 am

Benuty wrote:

We had him take special therapy swimming lessons, martial arts (he still does both), a special after-school class, and had a special "caretaker" (not even sure what noun to use here) that just helped him in kindergarten. Now he's almost like pretty much any other kid, except for some problems here and there, but those are to be expected.
Hail Oblivion

Colonial Rhodesia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Colonial Rhodesia » Sat May 30, 2015 12:08 pm

Dain II Ironfoot wrote:
Colonial Rhodesia wrote:our Founder Cecil Rhodes was almost 16 when he left his native England for South Africa so for me this is only the beginnings of New Rhodesia and no I do not approve of Child Soldiers a Soldier must have the will to survive and Fight for his Homeland but first comes Education before the Battlefield when I am 20 I will live America for Zimbabwe with a Suitcase bearing a few articles of Clothing and the Green and White flag of Rhodesia I bought a few months ago also a Bushstroke uniform as well

by the way I hope to also create a regiment designed for Aspies known as Blue Squad

Glorious KASSRD
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious KASSRD » Sat May 30, 2015 12:16 pm

Benuty wrote:
Glorious KASSRD wrote:That's terrible. Destroys any remaining interest I may have had in wanting to get rid of autism.

Mind you there are legitimate reasons in concern to the lower functioning without actually destroying brain matter (and often ones personality to boot). Of-course whether or not the scientific community comes up with something in the future is up to them. Yet organizations like Autism Speaks are not helping the issue at all with their outright pseudoscience they peddle to millions of parents who are just as convinced "autism is like the worst thing in existence". Mind you this not only generalizes the variety of conditions on the spectrum it dehumanizes the actual person to nothing more than a talking point for people who condone murder (as in it is ok for parents to murder their autistic children).

Yeah, Autism Speaks is terrible. I've had more trouble with schools though.

Colonial Rhodesia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Colonial Rhodesia » Sat May 30, 2015 12:23 pm

Glorious KASSRD wrote:
Benuty wrote:

Yeah, Autism Speaks is terrible. I've had more trouble with schools though.

bingo you hit the Jackpot comrade there is nothing worse than having Autism and seeing this degrading Bullshit I proud of my Aspergers syndrome it is a blessing from God to us not something to be frowned upon

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sat May 30, 2015 2:16 pm

Colonial Rhodesia wrote:
Glorious KASSRD wrote:Yeah, Autism Speaks is terrible. I've had more trouble with schools though.

bingo you hit the Jackpot comrade there is nothing worse than having Autism and seeing this degrading Bullshit I proud of my Aspergers syndrome it is a blessing from God to us not something to be frowned upon

I wouldn't call it a blessing, but whatever floats your boat.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat May 30, 2015 2:21 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Colonial Rhodesia wrote:bingo you hit the Jackpot comrade there is nothing worse than having Autism and seeing this degrading Bullshit I proud of my Aspergers syndrome it is a blessing from God to us not something to be frowned upon

I wouldn't call it a blessing, but whatever floats your boat.

Well either way, Fall semester for College (or university) starts in August is anyone going?

If you are going then what for exactly?

Finally, what challenges do you expect to face?

Dain II Ironfoot
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Dain II Ironfoot » Sat May 30, 2015 2:28 pm

Benuty wrote:

While eastern Europe lies behind on autism and such, they also passed the "we can fix this" point. There are several schools in Russia that i know of that are specialized in autism. However, i can't say for all of eastern Europe nor can i speak for the less populated areas, but overall they're getting at it in a good way.

Now as for a "cure", i'm honestly against it except for the "worst cases". Most autistic people can function just fine and there's no need to "fix" somebody becouse his/her brain simply works a bit different.
Last edited by Dain II Ironfoot on Sat May 30, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanar Durin Nur!

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sat May 30, 2015 2:38 pm

Protip: lots of autistic people hate ABA treatment. As an autistic person myself, any sort of negative reinforcement or shaming for my behavior absolutely destroys me and is often a major cause for me becoming panicked in the first place. ABA and other behaviorist techniques are based around ignoring the internal state of the patient in favor of a focus on eliminating behaviors viewed as problematic. The attitude is not "how can we make the world a more comfortable place for people like this", it's "he's flapping his hands, that's unsightly, it must be removed". The problem with this mentality should be obvious. ABA proponents also promote the spurious notion that not only should autism be cured, but that there are people today who are now "formerly autistic" in a disturbing parallel to "ex-gay" therapy. At its worst, the ideology of ABA leads to institutions such as the Judge Rotenberg Center, which has been investigated by the United Nations special reporter on torture due to its use of electrocution as a punishment for misbehavior.

Autistic people have and deserve agency - all autistic people, including those who are nonverbal or intellectually disabled. If you truly care about the well-being of autistic people I urge you to use your degree to help advocate for greater accommodation for and understanding of autistic people rather than working in a field of therapy decried by many autistics and their allies as inhumane. Read and research the perspectives of autistic people themselves and not just those of neurotypical psychologists, caretakers and family members.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Glorious KASSRD
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious KASSRD » Sat May 30, 2015 3:27 pm

I used to go to speech class, not to mention all the school people. Worked horribly, mainly because their solution was basically "He's different, we must destroy those differences and punish him when he does anything out of the ordinary." Honestly they destroyed my ability to trust people. For a while, I actually supported the idea of killing or enslaving all adults and letting children rule.
Now as far as what you should do, I would suggest remembering is not a disease. That may sound obvious, but I think many treat it like it is one. You cannot "heal" autism because the brain is literally wired differently. You can't punish them into being normal; at best you'll ge them to be afraid and act normal in public to avoid punishment. And lastly, for the love of all things good: Do not treat them like they are neurotypicals. They're not, and strategies for dealing with regular people will usually fail utterly with Autistics.
For example: To an average person, parties and large group games are fun and rewarding. Being alone to read a book or play by yourselves while parties are going on is usually a type of punishment. To your average* autistic, parties are terrible and being alone during parties is great. I cannot count how many times my punishment was "be in this room by yourself" and reward was "join this party". That failed.
*When I say average, please realize not all autistics are like this. We are actual people, not strange objects to all about. Being alone during parties may not be liked by autistics, and vice versa.

Glorious KASSRD
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious KASSRD » Sat May 30, 2015 3:28 pm

On another topic. Many Autistics have difficulty or are unable to speak. Has anyone tried to simply teach them sign language, instead of forcing a difficult speaking language on them?

Colonial Rhodesia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Colonial Rhodesia » Sat May 30, 2015 3:53 pm

Glorious KASSRD wrote:

I used to go to speech class, not to mention all the school people. Worked horribly, mainly because their solution was basically "He's different, we must destroy those differences and punish him when he does anything out of the ordinary." Honestly they destroyed my ability to trust people. For a while, I actually supported the idea of killing or enslaving all adults and letting children rule.
Now as far as what you should do, I would suggest remembering is not a disease. That may sound obvious, but I think many treat it like it is one. You cannot "heal" autism because the brain is literally wired differently. You can't punish them into being normal; at best you'll ge them to be afraid and act normal in public to avoid punishment. And lastly, for the love of all things good: Do not treat them like they are neurotypicals. They're not, and strategies for dealing with regular people will usually fail utterly with Autistics.
For example: To an average person, parties and large group games are fun and rewarding. Being alone to read a book or play by yourselves while parties are going on is usually a type of punishment. To your average* autistic, parties are terrible and being alone during parties is great. I cannot count how many times my punishment was "be in this room by yourself" and reward was "join this party". That failed.
*When I say average, please realize not all autistics are like this. We are actual people, not strange objects to all about. Being alone during parties may not be liked by autistics, and vice versa.

I don't know about you but this basically sums up my life I always enjoy peace and Quiet in my room

Great endo
Attaché

Founded: Jan 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Great endo » Sat May 30, 2015 3:58 pm

Kemintiri of Kemet wrote:
Alistan wrote:I have High Functioning Autism, I could read and write, but I am socially awkward, I suck at public speaking and some people made fun of me because I know facts of history, geography, and politics, calling me a retard and a "walking encyclopedia". Some people use me as a lab partner for information (this is why I hate working in groups a lot), and not working on anything at all.

My friend.

I have found my twin. :)

i have found my two fellow triplets :-)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General