NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion: Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support an individual's right to have an abortion?

Yes, absolutely!
55%
Yes, but only in certain circumstances (please specify in a post)
26%
No, never!
19%

Total votes : 1938

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:50 pm

Sanctissima wrote:This tends to be a touchy topic, but I'm curious.

What is your stance on abortion?

In case you're interested, I personally do not support abortion, with the exception of circumstances where the pregnant individual was impregnated as a result of rape, or the pregnancy could endanger their life. In such circumstances, I believe that it's not fair to force the person to go through with the pregnancy, since it was either not incurred willingly or it could threaten their life. I believe that otherwise, it's the person's responsibility to their unborn child to, at the very least, give birth to them. The individual had sex willingly, and knew that pregnancy could be a result. Thus, killing the fetus, in my opinion, is highly irresponsible.

But, hey, that's just me. What do you think?

Hi, Sancti! I love your name, by the way. It's quite pretty. :)

Usually the amount of people who abort in cases of rape or because of the "mother's health" is very low. People usually abort for other reasons, such as not having enough money, being scared of being abandoned by family, friends, boyfriends, etc.

Indeed, killing the fetus is irresponsible. It doesn't fix anything. That being said, how is killing a baby who was conceived in rape responsible?

I dunno if I'm just overthinking the name or anything, but I've seen the name 'Sanctissima' before. Would you happen to be Catholic?
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:51 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:The capability to experience things is what I'm talking about.

And we're discussing the presence or absence of a thing, not scale. A person experiences, a rock does not.

A fetus can experience things. It has a heartbeat pretty early, it can dream, it can suck its thumb, it can swim around in the womb, it can hear its mother's voice (to some degree), it can eat, and it can experience contentment or fear. Of course, I'm putting all these things down in random order, rather than in the order in which the fetus develops all these abilities, but you get the picture. A fetus can experience things. Thus, it is not a rock, which...as we both know...just sits there.

It can't experience a single one of these things. Fetuses don't develop any sort of consciousness until the 30th week at the earliest, and even then it isn't as conscious as a newborn.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:51 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:
Harrisvile wrote:I'm pro-choice. It's the woman's body, she is a autonomous human being, she can do whatever the hell she want's to do with her body.

By definition, the fetus isn't her body, genetically it's only 50% hers.

No shit sherlock. It's still, without consent, using the women's body.
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:51 pm

Harrisvile wrote:I'm pro-choice. It's the woman's body, she is a autonomous human being, she can do whatever the hell she want's to do with her body.

By definition, the fetus isn't her body, genetically it's only 50% hers.

Yes, and it is inside her body, which she can reject to carry at any time.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:51 pm

Luminesa wrote:

In case you're interested, I personally do not support abortion, with the exception of circumstances where the pregnant individual was impregnated as a result of rape, or the pregnancy could endanger their life. In such circumstances, I believe that it's not fair to force the person to go through with the pregnancy, since it was either not incurred willingly or it could threaten their life. I believe that otherwise, it's the person's responsibility to their unborn child to, at the very least, give birth to them. The individual had sex willingly, and knew that pregnancy could be a result. Thus, killing the fetus, in my opinion, is highly irresponsible.

Usually the amount of people who abort in cases of rape or because of the "mother's health" is very low. People usually abort for other reasons, such as not having enough money, being scared of being abandoned by family, friends, boyfriends, etc.

Indeed, killing the fetus is irresponsible. It doesn't fix anything. That being said, how is killing a baby who was conceived in rape responsible?

I dunno if I'm just overthinking the name or anything, but I've seen the name 'Sanctissima' before. Would you happen to be Catholic?

How is terminating a pregnancy (abortion) irresponsible?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Luminesa wrote:

What's irresponsible? What do you think it doesn't fix?

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:53 pm

Lost heros wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:By definition, the fetus isn't her body, genetically it's only 50% hers.

No shit sherlock. It's still, without consent, using the women's body.

Your mileage may vary on that one.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:54 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:
See, the problem with your line of thought is that you are comparing "it is the woman's choice and she can ignore your opinion" to "only women can make policy affecting other women".

One is true, the other isn't. Legislators and policy makers are not strictly separated by gender. Usually though, a man or a woman can have an idea that benefits the opposite sex by virtue of being educated about the issue at hand and talking to the opposite sex rather than just assuming what the opposite sex thinks.

...This makes more sense than my current perception of the situation. Thanks.

No problem.

Trust me, after living with a misogynistic grandmother it becomes easier to understand not all women are actually concerned about the best interest of fellow women.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:55 pm

Luminesa wrote:
So are you talking about, like, when a woman has a miscarriage?

As far as the procedure itself goes, abortion usually involves the ending of a pregnancy by killing a human baby. But if you're talking about a miscarriage, that's different, because the baby is already dead.

Your ability to misuse these terms astounds me.

In both a miscarriage and an abortion, the pregnancy ends and the fetus usually dies.

Here's the common analogy: Let's say you wake up after a horrible car accident to find yourself sharing a hospital bed with a famous music composer. This composer's kidneys and liver have been destroyed in the accident, and in a quick hack job to keep him alive the paramedics attached tubes from your body to his. You are filtering his blood through your kidneys and liver, and he needs you to do this to live. He's going to need this for nine months, when donor organs will be made available to him.

Should you be compelled by the state to go through with this?

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:56 pm

Lost heros wrote:No shit sherlock. It's still, without consent, using the women's body.

Your mileage may vary on that one.

If you're referring to without consent bit, I generally operate under the assumption that we are referring to abortion-seeking women.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:56 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Luminesa wrote:
A fetus can experience things. It has a heartbeat pretty early, it can dream, it can suck its thumb, it can swim around in the womb, it can hear its mother's voice (to some degree), it can eat, and it can experience contentment or fear. Of course, I'm putting all these things down in random order, rather than in the order in which the fetus develops all these abilities, but you get the picture. A fetus can experience things. Thus, it is not a rock, which...as we both know...just sits there.

Provide a source that says it can dream. Provide a source that those motions are anything other than reflexes. Source that it can hear the mothers voice. Source that it can eat. Source that ic can experience contentment or fear.

Whoa! One at a time! Okay...(This is what I get for debating online when I should be doing Spanish homework...)

Okay, here you go:
http://www.pregnancy.org/article/overvi ... evelopment

This is an overview. Tell me if I left anything out.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:56 pm

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:
Luminesa wrote:
So are you talking about, like, when a woman has a miscarriage?

As far as the procedure itself goes, abortion usually involves the ending of a pregnancy by killing a human baby. But if you're talking about a miscarriage, that's different, because the baby is already dead.

Your ability to misuse these terms astounds me.

In both a miscarriage and an abortion, the pregnancy ends and the fetus usually dies.

Here's the common analogy: Let's say you wake up after a horrible car accident to find yourself sharing a hospital bed with a famous music composer. This composer's kidneys and liver have been destroyed in the accident, and in a quick hack job to keep him alive the paramedics attached tubes from your body to his. You are filtering his blood through your kidneys and liver, and he needs you to do this to live. He's going to need this for nine months, when donor organs will be made available to him.

Should you be compelled by the state to go through with this?

Do I like his music?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The Confederacy of Nationalism
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:57 pm

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/FB-Unint ... cy-US.html

95% of unintended pregnancies are caused by misuse or disuse of contraceptives, and unintended pregnancy is the main reason why women get abortions.
This is why I do not support abortion unless the woman in question is either a rape victim or there may be life-threatening complications.
One shouldn't get to abort their fetus because they used contraceptives improperly or didn't use them at all.
Keep right -->
Don't give in to degeneracy,

My honor, my dignity, my pride above my life. No regrets.
American Ultranationalist
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire / "If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it!" - Adolf Hitler
Resident Social Darwinist

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:58 pm

Luminesa wrote:

1. You say the cases of rape or mother's health is low. How do you know that? Besides, you also assert that not having enough money or being scared of being abandoned is another reason to have an abortion, guess where that culture comes from?

2. Killing the fetus is not irresponsible. Like I noted in a prior talk with you pregnant women don't just go and expect to have a soccer match with their fetus. Also, killing a baby who was conceived in rape is far more responsible and merciful than having that child suffer his or her mother's resentment because her family and society forced her to have a baby that was the result of rape and she has a reminder for the rest of her life which she will loathe forever.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:59 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:...This makes more sense than my current perception of the situation. Thanks.

No problem.

Trust me, after living with a misogynistic grandmother it becomes easier to understand not all women are actually concerned about the best interest of fellow women.

You're pretty wise, Soldati.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

The Confederacy of Nationalism
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:59 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Luminesa wrote:

Provide a source that says it can dream. Provide a source that those motions are anything other than reflexes. Source that it can hear the mothers voice. Source that it can eat. Source that ic can experience contentment or fear.

I can say with relative certainty that most fetuses will survive childbirth and be capable of eventually doing these things.
Keep right -->
Don't give in to degeneracy,

My honor, my dignity, my pride above my life. No regrets.
American Ultranationalist
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire / "If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it!" - Adolf Hitler
Resident Social Darwinist

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:59 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/FB-Unintended-Pregnancy-US.html

95% of unintended pregnancies are caused by misuse or disuse of contraceptives, and unintended pregnancy is the main reason why women get abortions.
This is why I do not support abortion unless the woman in question is either a rape victim or there may be life-threatening complications.
One shouldn't get to abort their fetus because they used contraceptives improperly or didn't use them at all.

Well that's too bad, really. They have a right to obtain a medical procedure, and it's between them and their doctors. You have no say.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:59 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Whoa! One at a time! Okay...(This is what I get for debating online when I should be doing Spanish homework...)

Okay, here you go:

Would you please direct us to the relevant portions. I really don't feel like reading an entire (and partially fallacious) summary of the development of a fetus.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:00 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/FB-Unintended-Pregnancy-US.html

One should definitely get to abort fetuses because they used contraceptives improperly or didn't use them at all.

What, you think that somehow morality trumps rights?

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:00 pm

So if I drive without my seatbelt, I deserve to die in a crash?

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:00 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Okay, here you go:

So let's see I see no evidence of dreaming, heartbeat is clear, sucking thumb is clear, but again that doesn't mean it is simply motions with not consciousness, swimming makes no sense, eating was not included, contentment or fear where not mentioned. It can hear it's mothers voice...well into the pregnancy.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

East Catalina
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby East Catalina » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:00 pm

Luminesa wrote:

Well, if they decide to have a kid later, quality of life is important and they don't want their or their child(ren)'s quality of life degrading because of a new member of the brood. Furthermore, I conceive of responsibility as relating to a duty one consciously assumes. Who said that by having sex women consciously assume the duty of bringing a new human into the world?
'sanctissima', I believe is feminine singular or neuter plural superlative of sanctus and means in Latin, "holiest"/"most sacred" or something like that.
United States of East Catalina, Caroga and the Catalina Islands
Mirajvor ni Mankrusa, Karoga ke Katalinsoqqvor
Estados Unidos de Catalina del Este, Catalina del Oeste y las Islas Menores

¡Adelante juntos!
Together forward!

Former colony of Spain (1547-1898) and the United States (1898-1946 in the East; 1898-1953 in the West) which underwent a civil war (1946-86) and is now recovering
Capital: Ocean City
Government type: Federal directorial parliamentary republic
39 states and 9 territories
Population: 248 million
Languages: Carogan, Spanish, English

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:01 pm

Lost heros wrote:

So if I drive without my seatbelt, I deserve to die in a crash?

No, but if you do, it's no one's fault but your own.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:02 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

I can say with relative certainty that most fetuses will survive childbirth and be capable of eventually doing these things.

Most fetuses can also develop complications, most fetuses can also die shortly after childbirth, and most fetuses can be stillbirths.

Your statement means absolutely nothing when you have an organism that even a cosmic misalignment can kill it.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:02 pm

it's not for you to decide what other women do with their bodies

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General