NATION

PASSWORD

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Which do you say?

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, or other applicable holiday greetings based on the persons religion
71%
Happy holidays, seasons greetings, or other generic secular greetings
29%

Total votes : 172

Burleson 2
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays

Postby Burleson 2 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:56 pm

As all of you (especially in America) may know, whether or not you want to acknowledge it, Christmas is under attack. It's in our stores, in our schools, even in fire stations.
Only 5% of Americans are offended by the saying "Merry Christmas", and because of that meager 5% of Americans who are offended in any way by Christmas, the rest of us have to forgo acknowledging the birth of the man responsible for the "holiday season". Let's face it, none of the other holidays would be mentioned any more than Yom Kippur if it weren't for Christmas. All the stores have what are obviously Christmas decorations set up. Why not call this season and those decorations what they are, the Christmas season and Christmas decorations. Leaving Christ out of our society has no benefit for anyone. In the process of trying to avoid offending people by saying Merry Christmas, 32% of the country has been offended by the term "Happy holidays". As Ronald Reagan said, "The time has come to turn back to God and reassert our trust in him..." It's time to stop worrying about being sensitive to a rare few, and worry about honoring God in the way he deserves to be.

One final message: Merry Christmas to all of NS
Last edited by Burleson 2 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Burleson: August 8, 2014-December 8, 2014
Permanent sig coming soon
Italios wrote:In the south, Yankee sometimes is an insult. In the North East, it's not. In Boston, it's a declaration of war.

Alveda King wrote:To equate homosexuality with race is to give a death sentence to civil rights.

Ieperithem wrote:Hopefully. A nation whose majority consists of "aspiring artists", SNAP recipients, and identity politics obsessed professional victims rather than policemen, engineers, and farmers isn't going to last long.

Lol Democracy wrote:We should give him a Qur'an with a picture of Mohammed as the watermark on every page, can't remove stuff from the Qur'an, can't make pictures of Mohammed > Islam Explodes

Fortschritte
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:59 pm

It always pesters me when fundamentalists like the OP develop a persecution complex over the holidays. This complex completely ignores the existence of other holiday festivities celebrated by other cultures. To say "Happy Holidays" doesn't exclude Christmas, it merely includes it with other winter holidays, such as Hanukkah. Happy Holidays is a inclusive phrase that should be used in public places, or when dealing with people of other beliefs. It's as simple as that, and it's not undermining Christianity in the US.
Fortschritte IIWiki |The Player Behind Fort
Moderate Centre Rightist, Ordoliberal, Pro LGBT, Social Liberal
OOC Pros & Cons | Fort's Political Party Rankings(Updated)
Political Things I've Written
Japan: Land of the Rising Debt | Explaining the West German Economic Miracle
Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

Tyrinth
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tyrinth » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:59 pm

I'm not even religious, and to me all of this, "Oh, you can't say Christmas! It's, 'Happy holidays,'" stuff is just ridiculous.

Acknowledging Christmas does not mean disregarding the other holidays. They can all exist in harmony.
さあ、一緒に狂いましょう。
Ardoki wrote:Hitler was basically a libertarian, he supported the libertarian ideology of social Darwinism.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:00 pm

Burleson 2 wrote:As all of you (especially in America) may know, whether or not you want to acknowledge it, Christmas is under attack. It's in our stores, in our schools, even in fire stations.
Only 5% of Americans are offended by the saying "Merry Christmas", and because of that meager 5% of Americans who are offended in any way by Christmas, the rest of us have to forgo acknowledging the birth of the man responsible for the "holiday season". Let's face it, none of the other holidays would be mentioned any more than Yom Kippur if it weren't for Christmas. All the stores have what are obviously Christmas decorations set up. Why not call this season and those decorations what they are, the Christmas season and Christmas decorations. Leaving Christ out of our society has no benefit for anyone. As Ronald Reagan said, "The time has come to turn back to God and reassert our trust in him..." It's time to stop worrying about being sensitive to a rare few, and worry about honoring God in the way he deserves to be.

Or for the love of butter it isn't under attack. Saying happy holidays it not some sort of evil liberal plot against Christmas, it is just a way of acknowledging the other holidays celebrated around the same time. That's it.

It is something you say to a stranger to be polite and not risk saying "Merry Christmas" or Happy Hanukkah" to someone that does not celebrate it.
Last edited by Bezkoshtovnya on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Fortschritte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:02 pm

Tyrinth wrote:I'm not even religious, and to me all of this, "Oh, you can't say Christmas! It's, 'Happy holidays,'" stuff is just ridiculous.

Acknowledging Christmas does not mean disregarding the other holidays. They can all exist in harmony.

Nothing is wrong with acknowledging Christmas. But, in some cases, Happy Holidays is more appropriate. Let's say a mall is putting up a holiday themed banner. Why call it a "Christmas Banner", if it excludes other holiday beliefs. Happy Holidays acknowledges them all, and is most inclusive.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:02 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:
Burleson 2 wrote:As all of you (especially in America) may know, whether or not you want to acknowledge it, Christmas is under attack. It's in our stores, in our schools, even in fire stations.
Only 5% of Americans are offended by the saying "Merry Christmas", and because of that meager 5% of Americans who are offended in any way by Christmas, the rest of us have to forgo acknowledging the birth of the man responsible for the "holiday season". Let's face it, none of the other holidays would be mentioned any more than Yom Kippur if it weren't for Christmas. All the stores have what are obviously Christmas decorations set up. Why not call this season and those decorations what they are, the Christmas season and Christmas decorations. Leaving Christ out of our society has no benefit for anyone. As Ronald Reagan said, "The time has come to turn back to God and reassert our trust in him..." It's time to stop worrying about being sensitive to a rare few, and worry about honoring God in the way he deserves to be.

Or for the love of butter it isn't under attack. Saying happy holidays it not some sort of evil liberal plot against Christmas, it is just a way of acknowledging the other holidays celebrated around the same time. That's it.

It is something you say to a stranger to be polite and not risk saying "Merry Christmas" or Happy Hanukkah" to someone that does not celebrate it.

This, really.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Tyrinth
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tyrinth » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:05 pm

Fortschritte wrote:
Tyrinth wrote:I'm not even religious, and to me all of this, "Oh, you can't say Christmas! It's, 'Happy holidays,'" stuff is just ridiculous.

Nothing is wrong with acknowledging Christmas. But, in some cases, Happy Holidays is more appropriate. Let's say a mall is putting up a holiday themed banner. Why call it a "Christmas Banner", if it excludes other holiday beliefs. Happy Holidays acknowledges them all, and is most inclusive.

Nothing wrong with that if they so choose. The problem arises from the political correctness crowd who want to force the happy holidays greeting. If they want it to be a Christmas banner, I see no problem with it being a Christmas banner.

Same goes for Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc. Celebrate what you want, call it what you want. That's my opinion, anyway.
さあ、一緒に狂いましょう。
Ardoki wrote:Hitler was basically a libertarian, he supported the libertarian ideology of social Darwinism.

Anglo-California
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anglo-California » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:05 pm

Christmas has by and large become a Western cultural tradition rather than a religious holiday (don't get me wrong, there are still people who celebrate Christmas for religious reasons, but that number is declining.)

Saying "Merry Christmas" in the West is about as controversial as saying "good morning". It's part of our culture and people who complain about it are just looking to annoy people.
American nationalist. Secular Traditionalist.
On the American Revolution.

3rd Place for Sexiest Male under 18.
Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce

Burleson 2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Burleson 2 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:07 pm

Anglo-California wrote:Christmas has by and large become a Western cultural tradition rather than a religious holiday (don't get me wrong, there are still people who celebrate Christmas for religious reasons, but that number is declining.)

Saying "Merry Christmas" in the West is about as controversial as saying "good morning". It's part of our culture and people who complain about it are just looking to annoy people.

Exactly.
Formerly Burleson: August 8, 2014-December 8, 2014
Permanent sig coming soon
Italios wrote:In the south, Yankee sometimes is an insult. In the North East, it's not. In Boston, it's a declaration of war.

Alveda King wrote:To equate homosexuality with race is to give a death sentence to civil rights.

Ieperithem wrote:Hopefully. A nation whose majority consists of "aspiring artists", SNAP recipients, and identity politics obsessed professional victims rather than policemen, engineers, and farmers isn't going to last long.

Lol Democracy wrote:We should give him a Qur'an with a picture of Mohammed as the watermark on every page, can't remove stuff from the Qur'an, can't make pictures of Mohammed > Islam Explodes

Fortschritte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:07 pm

Tyrinth wrote:
Fortschritte wrote:

Nothing wrong with that if they so choose. The problem arises from the political correctness crowd who want to force the happy holidays greeting. If they want it to be a Christmas banner, I see no problem with it being a Christmas banner.

Same goes for Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc. Celebrate what you want, call it what you want. That's my opinion, anyway.

But, if a Christmas banner is put up, is that fair to those who don't celebrate the holiday? Why have preference over one holiday, when you can be inclusive? Look, I'm not hyper politically correct, meaning that if someone wants to use Merry Christmas in a conversation, or as some sort of greeting, that's fine. But, Merry Christmas shouldn't be used on displays in public places, like malls.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:07 pm

Anglo-California wrote:Christmas has by and large become a Western cultural tradition rather than a religious holiday (don't get me wrong, there are still people who celebrate Christmas for religious reasons, but that number is declining.)

The same can be said for those who complain about saying "happy holidays".
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Teemant
Senator

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Teemant » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:08 pm

I can't figure it out how can saying Merry Christmas offend anyone. Of course I support saying Merry Christmas because it's christmas.
Eesti
Latvija
Lietuva
Polska

Fortschritte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Burleson 2 wrote:

Exactly.

Agreeing with Anglo directly contradicts your OP which essentially says "We need to say merry Christmas because my religious feels."

The General Threadsman
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The General Threadsman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:09 pm

Fortschritte wrote:
Tyrinth wrote:Nothing wrong with that if they so choose. The problem arises from the political correctness crowd who want to force the happy holidays greeting. If they want it to be a Christmas banner, I see no problem with it being a Christmas banner.

But, if a Christmas banner is put up, is that fair to those who don't celebrate the holiday? Why have preference over one holiday, when you can be inclusive? Look, I'm not hyper politically correct, meaning that if someone wants to use Merry Christmas in a conversation, or as some sort of greeting, that's fine. But, Merry Christmas shouldn't be used on displays in public places, like malls.

That's idiotic. That's like saying red banners shouldn't be put up because they are red and someone doesn't like it.

Fortschritte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:09 pm

Teemant wrote:I can't figure it out how can saying Merry Christmas offend anyone. Of course I support saying Merry Christmas because it's christmas.

It's not that it often offends anyone, it's that when the phrase is used in places like banners, malls, and the like, it excludes other religious holidays. The term "Happy Holidays" includes all of them, and equally recognizes all of them. It's non preferential, and the most sensical.

Fortschritte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:10 pm

The General Threadsman wrote:
Fortschritte wrote:

That's idiotic. That's like saying red banners shouldn't be put up because they are red and someone doesn't like it.

There is a massive fucking difference between liking something for it's aesthetic looks, and celebrating something because of heritage, religion, and family tradition.

Tyrinth
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tyrinth » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:10 pm

Fortschritte wrote:

It should be if the mall owners are Christian and want to display a Christmas banner.

I don't understand why people are offended by others not practicing their faith. If I see an acknowledgment of Hanukkah, I don't get offended. Inclusiveness is great, but it should not be forced. Some people are proud of what they believe, and they should be allowed to be so.
さあ、一緒に狂いましょう。

The General Threadsman
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The General Threadsman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Fortschritte wrote:
The General Threadsman wrote:

There is a massive fucking difference between liking something for it's aesthetic looks, and celebrating something because of heritage, religion, and family tradition.

Christmas is now more of a corporate ploy for presents that religion now, so that is out the window for you.
Last edited by The General Threadsman on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teemant
Senator

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Teemant » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Fortschritte wrote:
Teemant wrote:I can't figure it out how can saying Merry Christmas offend anyone. Of course I support saying Merry Christmas because it's christmas.

It's not that it often offends anyone, it's that when the phrase is used in places like banners, malls, and the like, it excludes other religious holidays. The term "Happy Holidays" includes all of them, and equally recognizes all of them. It's non preferential, and the most sensical.

I see no problem at all when it is used in malls and on banners. Freedom of speech and it doesn't offend anyone. Not mentioning someones holiday isn't offending it.
Eesti
Latvija
Lietuva
Polska

Vindex Nation
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vindex Nation » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Merry Holidays...
Proud Founder of The Republic Nations

~Conservative Libertarian~

`

"Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~ Calvin Coolidge

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." ~Ronald Reagan

"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." ~William F. Buckley, Jr.

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” ~Ronald Regan

“A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel.” ~ Robert Frost

The United Neptumousian Empire
Minister

Founded: Dec 02, 2014
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby The United Neptumousian Empire » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:12 pm

I hate it when people try to militantly secularize Christmas, or anything else.

Agnostic
Asexual Spectrum, Lesbian
Transgender MtF, pronouns she / her

Pro-LGBT
Pro-Left Wing
Pro-Socialism / Communism

Anti-Hate Speech
Anti-Fascist
Anti-Bigotry
Anti-Right Wing
Anti-Capitalism

Political Compass
Personality Type: INFJ
I am The Flood

The General Threadsman
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The General Threadsman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:12 pm

The United Neptumousian Empire wrote:I hate it when people try to militantly secularize Christmas, or anything else.

Welcome to Earth, year 2014.

Nervium
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:13 pm

Happy Yuletide.
I've retired from the forums.

Alyakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 12, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alyakia » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:14 pm

this is the stupidest fucking non-issue ever. i will defend political correctness to the death but if you're offended by merry christmas or happy holidays you need to get the fuck over it.

e: and if you have ever said "war on christmas" (does not exist) or "culture war" seriously then lol
Last edited by Alyakia on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pro: good
anti: bad

The UK and EU are Better Together

"Margaret Thatcher showed the world that women are not too soft or the weaker sex, and can be as heartless, horrible, and amoral as any male politician."

Anglo-California
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anglo-California » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:15 pm

The United Neptumousian Empire wrote:I hate it when people try to militantly secularize Christmas, or anything else.

Christmas has been secular for a long time. The issue isn't over the secularization of Christmas. It's not a religious issue. It's an issue of culture, and in our culture, we celebrate Christmas. However, due to the influx of many foreigners and their children, many of whom do not celebrate Christmas, they feel (and idiotically so) alienated.

I can understand why people don't like "Merry Christmas", but that doesn't change the fact that they're being idiots about it.
American nationalist. Secular Traditionalist.
On the American Revolution.

3rd Place for Sexiest Male under 18.
Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General