NATION

PASSWORD

Wiccan discussion thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What kind of Wiccan are you?

Non-denominational Wicca; duotheism, magic, etc.
1%
Reincarnation Wiccan(believes in reincarnation, but is similar to non-denominational in other ways)
1%
Eclectic Wicca
1%
Dianic Wicca(only believes in the Goddess, not the Horned God)
0%
Polytheistic Wicca("hard" polytheism-many major gods/goddesses, or "soft"-many minor spirits and deities)
1%
Other Sect of Wicca
0%
I'm not Wiccan and just checking out this thread
88%
Was once a Wiccan
6%

Total votes : 209

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:23 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:Hmm. Sounds like they are a Wiccan family, eh?

It's likely. I've never met their parents. My friends themselves are pretty cool.

Now, this may sound ignorant, so I apologize beforehand if it does, but doesn't Wicca revolve around magic?

It often does, though not necessarily. As a religion it's very non-dogmatic, so what is or is not a part of the religion is heavily open to personal interpretation. This includes magic.
Last edited by Scomagia on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insert trite farewell here

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:26 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Arcturus Novus wrote:It's likely. I've never met their parents. My friends themselves are pretty cool.

Now, this may sound ignorant, so I apologize beforehand if it does, but doesn't Wicca revolve around magic?

It often does, though not necessarily. As a religion it's very non-dogmatic, so what is or is not a part of the religion is heavily open to personal interpretation. This includes magic.

But what defines magic, exactly? Are we talking sleight-of-hand or actual spells and potions?
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:34 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:
Scomagia wrote:It often does, though not necessarily. As a religion it's very non-dogmatic, so what is or is not a part of the religion is heavily open to personal interpretation. This includes magic.

But what defines magic, exactly? Are we talking sleight-of-hand or actual spells and potions?

Rituals, some chanting here, a spell there, so on. That's how it was for me, at least. It varies a lot from individual to individual, though I never met a Wiccan who practiced stage magic or sleight-of-hand as a part of the religion.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:38 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Arcturus Novus wrote:But what defines magic, exactly? Are we talking sleight-of-hand or actual spells and potions?

Rituals, some chanting here, a spell there, so on. That's how it was for me, at least. It varies a lot from individual to individual, though I never met a Wiccan who practiced stage magic or sleight-of-hand as a part of the religion.

Interesting. I don't know what it is about Wicca, but I always wanted to learn more about it. Thanks for the clarification, btw.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:41 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Rituals, some chanting here, a spell there, so on. That's how it was for me, at least. It varies a lot from individual to individual, though I never met a Wiccan who practiced stage magic or sleight-of-hand as a part of the religion.

Interesting. I don't know what it is about Wicca, but I always wanted to learn more about it. Thanks for the clarification, btw.

There are definitely posters who know more about Wicca here, so don't take me as gospel. I've been more or less irreligious for years now, so some of the stuff about Wicca is a little hazy. :p

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:40 am

Scomagia wrote:
Arcturus Novus wrote:Interesting. I don't know what it is about Wicca, but I always wanted to learn more about it. Thanks for the clarification, btw.

There are definitely posters who know more about Wicca here,

Why, hello there
For anyone wondering, I joined this website during my edgy teenage years. I made a lot of dumb, awkward posts, flip-flopped between various extreme ideologies, and just generally embarrassed myself. I denounce a sizable amount of my past posts. I am no longer active on NationStates and this nation/account is no longer used.

Scyobayrynn
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Scyobayrynn » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:20 am

Arcturus Novus wrote:
Scomagia wrote:It often does, though not necessarily. As a religion it's very non-dogmatic, so what is or is not a part of the religion is heavily open to personal interpretation. This includes magic.

Magic, some prefer Magick(following the example of Crowley) to refer to the esoteric practices intended to influence the outside world.

The practice of magic be it high or low is just that however, manipulation of material, intonation, ritual, to experience and influence the world around us.
Magic may include petitioning Deities and or spirits. Some magical schools of thought are all intonations, chanting, and visualization.
Others are more material.

Magic defined is very difficult because it isnt as if its restricted only to Wicca. Many religions have esoteric practices which easily fall under the purview of "magic".
The Gay
Atheist or Agnostic
Muath al-Kaseasbeh Jordanian hero, Muslim martyr.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:24 am

Arcturus Novus wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:Hmm. Sounds like they are a Wiccan family, eh?

It's likely. I've never met their parents. My friends themselves are pretty cool.

Pretty much, but not all of the sects.
For anyone wondering, I joined this website during my edgy teenage years. I made a lot of dumb, awkward posts, flip-flopped between various extreme ideologies, and just generally embarrassed myself. I denounce a sizable amount of my past posts. I am no longer active on NationStates and this nation/account is no longer used.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:51 am

Hmm, the poll results are most interesting!

Not Wiccan: 88%

Was once Wiccan: 6%

Wiccan: 6%

I expected that many non-Wiccans, but not as many former Wiccans.
Last edited by The Wolven League on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Scyobayrynn wrote:
Arcturus Novus wrote:But what defines magic, exactly? Are we talking sleight-of-hand or actual spells and potions?

Magic, some prefer Magick(following the example of Crowley) to refer to the esoteric practices intended to influence the outside world.

The practice of magic be it high or low is just that however, manipulation of material, intonation, ritual, to experience and influence the world around us.
Magic may include petitioning Deities and or spirits. Some magical schools of thought are all intonations, chanting, and visualization.

Magic defined is very difficult because it isnt as if its restricted only to Wicca. Many religions have esoteric practices which easily fall under the purview of "magic".

Indeed. Although "petitioning deities and spirits" doesn't really sound like magic to me, persay. More like simple worship.

Wolfmanne
Senator

Founded: Mar 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:22 pm

Someone told me that Wiccans get mad at people pissing on trees and see them as heretics. Can any Wiccans confirm this?
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:25 pm

Wolfmanne wrote:Someone told me that Wiccans get mad at people pissing on trees and see them as heretics. Can any Wiccans confirm this?

Erm...I don't do that, and I'm a Wiccan. But there are so many sects, I'll bet at least one believes that.

Wolfmanne
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:26 pm

The Wolven League wrote:
Wolfmanne wrote:Someone told me that Wiccans get mad at people pissing on trees and see them as heretics. Can any Wiccans confirm this?

Erm...I don't do that, and I'm a Wiccan. But there are so many sects, I'll bet at least one believes that.

Hmm, fairs dos'. Thanks for the clarification.
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:27 pm

Wolfmanne wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:Erm...I don't do that, and I'm a Wiccan. But there are so many sects, I'll bet at least one believes that.

Hmm, fairs dos'. Thanks for the clarification.

Np.

Any other questions?

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Can I have a blessing from across the internet. Perhaps some good luck or something?

Or can you not do that? :p
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:29 pm

The Wolven League wrote:
Wolfmanne wrote:Hmm, fairs dos'. Thanks for the clarification.

Np.

Any other questions?

I do.

Wiccanism and witchcraft. I've met Wiccan who identify as witches. Do these go hand in hand or is there a difference?
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Wolfmanne
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:30 pm

The Wolven League wrote:
Wolfmanne wrote:Hmm, fairs dos'. Thanks for the clarification.

Np.

Any other questions?

Na, it was just that one interesting snippet I heard from a friend. Thanks for answering.

Kohlandia
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kohlandia » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Wiccanism and witchcraft. I've met Wiccan who identify as witches. Do these go hand in hand or is there a difference?

Wicca is a form of witchcraft but it is not the only form. You can be a witch and not follow Wicca.
"That Nation with the Picasso flag"

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:30 pm

The Wolven League wrote:
Scyobayrynn wrote:Magic, some prefer Magick(following the example of Crowley) to refer to the esoteric practices intended to influence the outside world.

Indeed. Although "petitioning deities and spirits" doesn't really sound like magic to me, persay. More like simple worship.

I believe that's called theurgy.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:31 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:Np.

Any other questions?

I do.

Wiccanism and witchcraft. I've met Wiccan who identify as witches. Do these go hand in hand or is there a difference?

Wicca literally means "witch' and "wizard" in Old English.
Last edited by The Wolven League on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:31 pm

Kohlandia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Wiccanism and witchcraft. I've met Wiccan who identify as witches. Do these go hand in hand or is there a difference?

Wicca is a form of witchcraft but it is not the only form. You can be a witch and not follow Wicca.

That's what I thought. Thanks for the answer.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:32 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:Can I have a blessing from across the internet. Perhaps some good luck or something?

Or can you not do that? :p

..lol.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:36 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:Indeed. Although "petitioning deities and spirits" doesn't really sound like magic to me, persay. More like simple worship.

I believe that's called theurgy.

Hmm.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:37 pm

The Wolven League wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I do.

Wicca literally means "witch' and "wizard" in Old English.

I know the origin of the word. It's actually Middle English. However, it is a diverse tradition, so I wanted to make sure of whether witchcraft is a must or not. You know, not all Catholics are priests or all Buddhists monks. :)
Slava Ukraini

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:06 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:Wicca literally means "witch' and "wizard" in Old English.

I know the origin of the word. It's actually Middle English. However, it is a diverse tradition, so I wanted to make sure of whether witchcraft is a must or not. You know, not all Catholics are priests or all Buddhists monks. :)

True

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General