NATION

PASSWORD

Turkish police arrest 23 in raids on opposition media

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Canaore
Envoy

Founded: Jan 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Turkish police arrest 23 in raids on opposition media

Postby Canaore » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:19 pm

So, it seems like Erdoğan has gone full Chavez now.

Turkish police have detained at least 23 people in orchestrated raids on opposition media outlets with close ties to the US-based Islamic cleric Fethullah Gülen, a key critic of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

The raids came days after Erdoğan announced a fresh operation against supporters of Gülen, a former ally whom Erdoğan accuses of having established a “parallel organisation” – an influential network within state institutions such as the police and judiciary as well as within the media – that aims to overthrow the Justice and Development party (AKP) government. Gülen denies the charge.

The detained, including journalists, producers, scriptwriters, directors, police officers and two former police chiefs, are accused of forming an illegal organisation whose members “engage in forgery and slander”, according to a statement published by the Istanbul public prosecutor’s office.

During one raid a crowd of supporters assembled at the offices of the Zaman daily and chanted: “The free press cannot be silenced.” The newspaper’s editor-in-chief, Ekrem Dumanli, gave a defiant speech, widely publicised in Turkish media, in which he challenged police to arrest him. He was detained, as was the head of the Samanyolu Media Group, Hidayet Karaca.

“This is a shameful sight for Turkey”, Karaca told the press before he was seized by police. “Sadly this is how they treat a media group with tens of television and radio stations, internet media and magazines in 21st-century Turkey.”

The head of the main opposition Republican People’s party (CHP), Kemal Kiliçdaroğlu, called the raids “a coup against democracy” and accused the AKP of leading a “coup government”.

“[This] is not something that happens in healthy democracies. This is a coup process,” Kiliçdaroğlu said. “Detentions of journalists and dawn raids on television stations are not something we can accept under any circumstances.”

Turkey’s prime minister, Ahmet Davutoğlu, called the raids a test. “This is the day of the test. Everyone will be held accountable for what they have done, and for their attitude toward democracy in this country,” he said in an address to members of the AKP in eastern Turkey.

The power and influence of Gülen and his network has long been a defining issue of Turkish politics. The domination of Erdogan’s AKP for more than a decade was aided by his alliance with Gülen, and those who dared to criticise the Gülen movement were swiftly punished. It looks like Turkey won't be joining the EU anytime soon, at this rate.

Ahmet Şık, an investigative journalist jailed in 2011 for writing a book on Gülen’s penetration of the police, harshly criticised the raids against Gülenist media outlets. “What happens to the [Gülen movement] today, itself a powerful supporter of the fascism we faced a few years ago, is also called fascism. It is an ethical obligation to oppose fascism”, he tweeted.

Human rights groups also criticised the raids. “The detention of journalists and editors in the context of this latest wider operation of arrests looks like another attempt to crack down on critical media”, Human Rights Watch said. “The burden is on the government to produce evidence to justify accusing Zaman and Samanyolu group editors and journalists of being part of an organisation which attempted to capture state power, as the Istanbul judge’s detention warrant states.”

The offensive against Gülen, who lives in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania, follows a corruption scandal in December last year that implicated the government, Erdoğan’s closest associates and his family. Maintaining that the allegations were a coup attempt, Erdoğan responded ferociously, purging the police of thousands of officers, transferring prosecutors linked to the investigation and tightening control over the judiciary. Prosecutors dropped the corruption charges this year.

Sunday’s media raids had been expected after an anonymous Twitter account that has previously announced similar police operations said security forces would detain 400 people last Friday, including approximately 150 journalists regarded as Gülen supporters.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/d ... tion-media

I'm surprised there haven't been any threads about this, especially since Erdoğan enjoys a lot of popularity among NSGers. :p

But really, Erdoğan? Really? Raiding opposition media? That's the kind of behavior I'd expect from some populist banana republic dictator. It looks like Turkey won't be joining the European Union anytime soon at this rate, and Erdoğan probably doesn't care. I feel really bad for the Turkish people, but that's on them for electing this asshole.
— The Alliance of Canaore —

“Libertas, Justitia, Veritas”

Economic Left/Right: 2.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.08
I'm a center-rightist.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:21 pm

Disgusting. Why even bother calling Turkey democratic anymore?

Pantokrators
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pantokrators » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:29 pm

Even.if Turkey neever had Erdogan and instead of him had a ultraliberal anti-theist presidentit would still never joined the EU. Who cannot see that is just not inteligent.
Last edited by Pantokrators on Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:29 pm

I guess I should just file Turkey in the same category as North Korea so I stop being disappointed every time the government drags them backwards another few decades.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Gezi Park
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gezi Park » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:36 pm

Eventually they all will be brought to account. Erdogan is nothing compared to other dictators and their regimes that have ceased to exist. But when that time comes; we won't hold back and send them back to whatever previous age they came from; such that they will never come into appear again.

Last edited by Gezi Park on Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
19-year old agnostic university student living in Izmir, Turkey. I consider myself a centre-left Kemalist, social liberal and civic nationalist/patriotic. I like drinking beer (Beck's, Carlsberg, Efes Pilsen), watching Anime and soccer (Fenerbahce fan here). I'm now a proud member of the newly founded Anatolia Party.

PRO: Enviromentalism, State feminism, Anti-clericalism, Individualism, EU (including Turkey), PES, LGBT rights, abortion, Legalize It movement, Laïcité, Westernization, Gezi youth, Tamarod, Greek-Turkish sisterhood, Ataturk's ideals

ANTI: Religious conservatism, Ethnic nationalism, Islamism, Religious zionism, Neo-Ottomanism, Imperialism, Irredentism, Prejudices, Stereotypes, Turcophobia, PKK, Free Syrian Army, Hamas, Muslim Brotherhood, Qatar

Arkotania
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkotania » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:41 pm

I personally support the raids against the Gulen movement. I've had considerable personal experience with said movement, and have been a considerable part of it, and I've been against them ever since.
Mostly back from a long hiatus from the forums
Arkania 5 wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Matt Ward

No.

Nononononononononono

Gauthier wrote:
Arkotania wrote:
Then your testicles become strange tentacles.

And then you make films in Japan.

Ovisterra wrote:
Oceanic people wrote:where lives are at steak

I try not to point out people's spelling errors all the time, but this one was brilliant.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Or maybe NS is also a degraded society.

This. Definitely this.

Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab(Arkotania Puppet) wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:43 pm

Military do your duty.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Estva
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estva » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:44 pm

Gezi Park wrote:Eventually they all will be brought to account. Erdogan is nothing compared to other dictators and their regimes that have ceased to exist. But when that time comes; we won't hold back and send them back to whatever previous age they came from; such that they will never come into appear again.

Sure didn't work the last time it was tried.
Join the Libdems.

SuperFruitland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby SuperFruitland » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:47 pm

Arkotania wrote:I personally support the raids against the Gulen movement. I've had considerable personal experience with said movement, and have been a considerable part of it, and I've been against them ever since.

#AintNobodyGotTimeForFreedomOfThePress

Arkotania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkotania » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:51 pm

SuperFruitLand wrote:
Arkotania wrote:I personally support the raids against the Gulen movement. I've had considerable personal experience with said movement, and have been a considerable part of it, and I've been against them ever since.

I personally don't believe said movement deserves any freedoms. They're all a bunch of crooks. They speak of faith and progress, yet it's just an exclusive group of wealthy Turks domineering over others. They ask for charity from the commoners, yet drive around in their brand new luxury sedans. They speak of mercy and kindness, but if you aren't a "useful" asset to the organization, all you get is a cold shoulder.

They've certainly done a great job of making themselves look like shiny beacons, but it's all gilded. Underneath is nothing but arrogant power-tripping Turks who think themselves as being royally blessed by God. I spent years with these sorts, targeting "soft" people persuaded by the supposed moderate religious aspect. Yet the only thing they serve as are tools in the movements ambition to take power.
Last edited by Arkotania on Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkania 5 wrote:

No.

Nononononononononono

Gauthier wrote:
Arkotania wrote:

Ovisterra wrote:

I try not to point out people's spelling errors all the time, but this one was brilliant.

This. Definitely this.

Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab(Arkotania Puppet) wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Estva
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estva » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Arkotania wrote:
SuperFruitLand wrote:

I personally don't believe said movement deserves any freedoms. They're all a bunch of crooks. They speak of faith and progress, yet it's just an exclusive group of wealthy Turks domineering over others. They ask for charity from the commoners, yet drive around in their brand new luxury sedans. They speak of mercy and kindness, but if you aren't a "useful" asset to the organization, all you get is a cold shoulder.

They've certainly done a great job of making themselves look like shiny beacons, but it's all gilded. Underneath is nothing but arrogant power-tripping Turks who think themselves as being royally blessed by God.

So you believe in the freedom of press for everyone so long as they agree with you.
Join the Libdems.

Arkotania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkotania » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:56 pm

Estva wrote:
Arkotania wrote:

They've certainly done a great job of making themselves look like shiny beacons, but it's all gilded. Underneath is nothing but arrogant power-tripping Turks who think themselves as being royally blessed by God.

So you believe in the freedom of press for everyone so long as they agree with you.

Being quite distrustful of the movement, and having first-hand experience with their lies, yes I do believe they don't deserve to spread their propaganda. Doesn't mean I have issues with every other group. If some communists want to spread propaganda, so be it. Anarchists? Go ahead. Radical Islamist? Go right ahead. Atheist News? I don't really care, let them speak!

It's not a matter of freedom of speech. It's a matter of the issues I've had with said movement, thus my lack of support for them in any matter. These folk are one group I certainly do not like, and do not support.
Arkania 5 wrote:

No.

Nononononononononono

Gauthier wrote:
Arkotania wrote:

Ovisterra wrote:

This. Definitely this.

Neo Arcad wrote:

Estva
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estva » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Arkotania wrote:
Estva wrote:So you believe in the freedom of press for everyone so long as they agree with you.

Being quite distrustful of the movement, and having first-hand experience with their lies, yes I do believe they don't deserve to spread their propaganda. Doesn't mean I have issues with every other group. If some communists want to spread propaganda, so be it. Anarchists? Go ahead. Radical Islamist? Go right ahead. Atheist News? I don't really care, let them speak!

It's not a matter of freedom of speech. It's a matter of the issues I've had with said movement, thus my lack of support for them in any matter. These folk are one group I certainly do not like, and do not support.

Allowing this group to be suppressed, purely because you don't like them, will mean the others you mentioned will be suppressed to.

Your distaste for them is even worse than I thought, since it is obviously petty.
Join the Libdems.

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Canaore wrote:So, it seems like Erdoğan has gone full Chavez now.

Turkish police have detained at least 23 people in orchestrated raids on opposition media outlets with close ties to the US-based Islamic cleric Fethullah Gülen, a key critic of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

The raids came days after Erdoğan announced a fresh operation against supporters of Gülen, a former ally whom Erdoğan accuses of having established a “parallel organisation” – an influential network within state institutions such as the police and judiciary as well as within the media – that aims to overthrow the Justice and Development party (AKP) government. Gülen denies the charge.

The detained, including journalists, producers, scriptwriters, directors, police officers and two former police chiefs, are accused of forming an illegal organisation whose members “engage in forgery and slander”, according to a statement published by the Istanbul public prosecutor’s office.

During one raid a crowd of supporters assembled at the offices of the Zaman daily and chanted: “The free press cannot be silenced.” The newspaper’s editor-in-chief, Ekrem Dumanli, gave a defiant speech, widely publicised in Turkish media, in which he challenged police to arrest him. He was detained, as was the head of the Samanyolu Media Group, Hidayet Karaca.

“This is a shameful sight for Turkey”, Karaca told the press before he was seized by police. “Sadly this is how they treat a media group with tens of television and radio stations, internet media and magazines in 21st-century Turkey.”

The head of the main opposition Republican People’s party (CHP), Kemal Kiliçdaroğlu, called the raids “a coup against democracy” and accused the AKP of leading a “coup government”.

“[This] is not something that happens in healthy democracies. This is a coup process,” Kiliçdaroğlu said. “Detentions of journalists and dawn raids on television stations are not something we can accept under any circumstances.”

Turkey’s prime minister, Ahmet Davutoğlu, called the raids a test. “This is the day of the test. Everyone will be held accountable for what they have done, and for their attitude toward democracy in this country,” he said in an address to members of the AKP in eastern Turkey.

The power and influence of Gülen and his network has long been a defining issue of Turkish politics. The domination of Erdogan’s AKP for more than a decade was aided by his alliance with Gülen, and those who dared to criticise the Gülen movement were swiftly punished. It looks like Turkey won't be joining the EU anytime soon, at this rate.

Ahmet Şık, an investigative journalist jailed in 2011 for writing a book on Gülen’s penetration of the police, harshly criticised the raids against Gülenist media outlets. “What happens to the [Gülen movement] today, itself a powerful supporter of the fascism we faced a few years ago, is also called fascism. It is an ethical obligation to oppose fascism”, he tweeted.

Human rights groups also criticised the raids. “The detention of journalists and editors in the context of this latest wider operation of arrests looks like another attempt to crack down on critical media”, Human Rights Watch said. “The burden is on the government to produce evidence to justify accusing Zaman and Samanyolu group editors and journalists of being part of an organisation which attempted to capture state power, as the Istanbul judge’s detention warrant states.”

The offensive against Gülen, who lives in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania, follows a corruption scandal in December last year that implicated the government, Erdoğan’s closest associates and his family. Maintaining that the allegations were a coup attempt, Erdoğan responded ferociously, purging the police of thousands of officers, transferring prosecutors linked to the investigation and tightening control over the judiciary. Prosecutors dropped the corruption charges this year.

Sunday’s media raids had been expected after an anonymous Twitter account that has previously announced similar police operations said security forces would detain 400 people last Friday, including approximately 150 journalists regarded as Gülen supporters.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/d ... tion-media

I'm surprised there haven't been any threads about this, especially since Erdoğan enjoys a lot of popularity among NSGers. :p

But really, Erdoğan? Really? Raiding opposition media? That's the kind of behavior I'd expect from some populist banana republic dictator. It looks like Turkey won't be joining the European Union anytime soon at this rate, and Erdoğan probably doesn't care. I feel really bad for the Turkish people, but that's on them for electing this asshole.

He's gone full Chav*, not Chavez.

Gezi Park
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gezi Park » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:07 pm

Arkotania wrote:
SuperFruitLand wrote:

They've certainly done a great job of making themselves look like shiny beacons, but it's all gilded. Underneath is nothing but arrogant power-tripping Turks who think themselves as being royally blessed by God. I spent years with these sorts, targeting "soft" people persuaded by the supposed moderate religious aspect. Yet the only thing they serve as are tools in the movements ambition to take power.

As a Kemalist, we have suffered quite a lot because of Gulen and his movement. Lots of generals, officers, as well as journalists were deprived of their freedoms for years based on fake documents fabricated by this organization. On the other hand; a journalist who was a victim of that plot stated on Twitter that this was fascism in regardless to whatever happent in the past, and an official from Gulen organization replied to him apologizing for their past sins.

Undeniably; Gulenists are quite religious, but in a way that can be compared to Puritans, Evangelicans, or Opus Dei. I mean, they have some intellectual level at the very least and relatively more civilized. On the other hand; the AKP is made up by a bunch of uneducated rural rednecks or miserable losers in urban suburbs who have no life. Erdogan wants to overthrow the Republic and replace it with his own playground, deriving courage from the votes of these people. Gulenists and Kemalists can find a common ground at this point. Sure they've done a lot of bad things to our army but at the end of the day that has taught us to stand up for our rights and freedom on our own without expecting a bunch of generals to terminate democratic order, as demonstrated with the Gezi protests.

EDIT: Yea, what I just said was also mentioned in the article. This is good.

Last edited by Gezi Park on Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
19-year old agnostic university student living in Izmir, Turkey. I consider myself a centre-left Kemalist, social liberal and civic nationalist/patriotic. I like drinking beer (Beck's, Carlsberg, Efes Pilsen), watching Anime and soccer (Fenerbahce fan here). I'm now a proud member of the newly founded Anatolia Party.

PRO: Enviromentalism, State feminism, Anti-clericalism, Individualism, EU (including Turkey), PES, LGBT rights, abortion, Legalize It movement, Laïcité, Westernization, Gezi youth, Tamarod, Greek-Turkish sisterhood, Ataturk's ideals

ANTI: Religious conservatism, Ethnic nationalism, Islamism, Religious zionism, Neo-Ottomanism, Imperialism, Irredentism, Prejudices, Stereotypes, Turcophobia, PKK, Free Syrian Army, Hamas, Muslim Brotherhood, Qatar

Fortschritte
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fortschritte » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:10 pm

This is utterly ridiculous. Erdogan is a egotistical power hungry, authoritarian who threatens the liberal democracy that is imperative to Turkey.
Fortschritte IIWiki |The Player Behind Fort
Moderate Centre Rightist, Ordoliberal, Pro LGBT, Social Liberal
OOC Pros & Cons | Fort's Political Party Rankings(Updated)
Political Things I've Written
Japan: Land of the Rising Debt | Explaining the West German Economic Miracle
Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

Servica
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Servica » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:23 pm

Merizoc wrote:Disgusting. Why even bother calling Turkey democratic anymore?

Why even bother calling democracy favorable? It almost always comes with bureaucracy.
The Deference-free Constituency of Servica
Volition,
Tangibilism, Neobarbarism, Maximalism
[About Servica]
[The Flag]
[Words from Servica]
[The Moral Anchors]
Federative post-collapse society. The collapse eradicated class and previous institutions. Made money mean a lot less. Exists in the 2090s and had just begun learning the management of a para-industrial, post-financial capitalist, partially resource-based economy after being agrarian since forever.
They/Them, Southeast Asia, nation canon represents maybe some 67% of my beliefs, and I also like playing the stats for fun.

Estva
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estva » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:24 pm

Servica wrote:

Why even bother calling democracy favorable? It almost always comes with bureaucracy.

lol and you think dictatorships don't have bureaucracy?
Join the Libdems.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:48 pm

Sad, but not unexpected.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:51 pm

Servica wrote:

I never said democracy was favorable. I'm a libertarian socialist (read, anarchist), not a democrat.
Last edited by MERIZoC on Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyrisnia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:52 pm

Aaaand Erdogan displays his schlong to the free world.
Who knew?
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man
410,757,864,530 DEAD REBS

Estva
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estva » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:53 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Servica wrote:Why even bother calling democracy favorable? It almost always comes with bureaucracy.

I never said democracy was favorable. I'm a libertarian socialist (read, anarchist), not a democrat.

Well, you know, socialism is supposed to be a democratic process.
Join the Libdems.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Estva wrote:
Merizoc wrote:I never said democracy was favorable. I'm a libertarian socialist (read, anarchist), not a democrat.

Well, you know, socialism is supposed to be a democratic process.

It can be. It can also be anarchic.

Estva
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estva » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Estva wrote:Well, you know, socialism is supposed to be a democratic process.

It can be. It can also be anarchic.

Anarchist socialism is also democratic.

Direct democracy is, who would of thought, democratic. Unless you believe in tribalism?
Join the Libdems.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:58 pm

Estva wrote:
Merizoc wrote:It can be. It can also be anarchic.

Anarchist socialism is also democratic.

Direct democracy is, who would of thought, democratic. Unless you believe in tribalism?

I use democracy in the statist sense of the word.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General