NATION

PASSWORD

Regarding catcalling...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:07 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Pan-America under the United States wrote:Day after day? I'll agree on that. However, if it happens one time, then that's not harassment. Depends on if the person is doing this to the same person over and over again, if you want to get technical.

if it only ever happened to a woman once in her life that a man whistles at her then she should indeed get over it.

but that's not what happens.

its actionable harassment if the same man goes out of his way to harass the same woman every day. its still harassment if a woman has to endure it multiple times from multiple men.

Have I been harassed by women because i've had to turn down a bunch over the course of my life time?
Fuck no, that's ridiculous.
I have no idea how you can argue this.

Fuck, i've been to a few parties where i've been hit on a couple of times by different people. Does that mean I was harassed?
Would it change if I suddenly got terrified and assumed they were going to rape me or something?
Would it matter if it was males hitting on me? Because sometimes it is. Am I being harassed then?

If its the same guy, yes, it's harassment.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:08 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Novorobo wrote:Okay, so I think we can reasonably agree that catcalling happens pretty often, even if we may disagree on exactly how often. Now the question becomes what to do about it.

Some would suggest making a law against it. Well, trouble with that is you're picking and choosing about what speech counts as free speech. The only other precedent we have to follow is, "if you threaten someone," but feeling threatened and actually BEING threatened are different things. Some people "feel" threatened by seeing someone wearing a hoodie. Others may "feel" threatened by someone wearing a burka. Yet clearly in each case we've sided with freedom of expression over subjectively "feeling" threatened. So why should flirtations on the street be treated any differently?

If catcalling is banned, how am I going to be able to gather up my cats when it's time to go to the vet's office?

pffff calling cats is useless. I shake the bottle of cat treats in order to get my cat to come back into the house.
whatever

Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:09 am

Apparatchikstan wrote:I call my cat all the time. The only problem with it I can see is that it hardly comes to me.

Agreed. This thread is just going on about the cat's gender. The real problem is that cats do not tend to come when you call them because they are racist against the human race.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:10 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
If catcalling is banned, how am I going to be able to gather up my cats when it's time to go to the vet's office?

pffff calling cats is useless. I shake the bottle of cat treats in order to get my cat to come back into the house.

Even then that doesn't always work. I think my little bitch takes her time because she knows I want to go to bed.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:10 am

Pan-America under the United States wrote:
Scomagia wrote:"Hey bitch, I wanna fuck your ass!"

Yep, totally not harassment. *nods*

"harassment (either harris-meant or huh-rass-meant) n. the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands. The purposes may vary, including racial prejudice, personal malice, an attempt to force someone to quit a job or grant sexual favors, apply illegal pressure to collect a bill, or merely gain sadistic pleasure from making someone fearful or anxious. Such activities may be the basis for a lawsuit if due to discrimination based on race or sex, a violation on the statutory limitations on collection agencies, involve revenge by an ex-spouse, or be shown to be a form of blackmail ("I'll stop bothering you, if you'll go to bed with me"). The victim may file a petition for a "stay away" (restraining) order, intended to prevent contact by the offensive party. A systematic pattern of harassment by an employee against another worker may subject the employer to a lawsuit for failure to protect the worker. (See: harass, sexual harassment)"

" the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_harassment

You're intentionally using the wrong definition. Intellectual dishonesty is bad, mkay?
Insert trite farewell here

The Confederacy of Nationalism
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:12 am

Is catcalling inappropriate? Yes.
Should it be illegal? Fuck no.
Keep right -->
Don't give in to degeneracy,

My honor, my dignity, my pride above my life. No regrets.
American Ultranationalist
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire / "If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it!" - Adolf Hitler
Resident Social Darwinist

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:12 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:if it only ever happened to a woman once in her life that a man whistles at her then she should indeed get over it.

but that's not what happens.

its actionable harassment if the same man goes out of his way to harass the same woman every day. its still harassment if a woman has to endure it multiple times from multiple men.

Have I been harassed by women because i've had to turn down a bunch over the course of my life time?

Fuck, i've been to a few parties where i've been hit on a couple of times by different people. Does that mean I was harassed?
Would it change if I suddenly got terrified and assumed they were going to rape me or something?
Would it matter if it was males hitting on me? Because sometimes it is. Am I being harassed then?

I don't know what has happened to you in your life so I cant judge it.
whatever

Pan-America under the United States
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pan-America under the United States » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:13 am

Scomagia wrote:
Pan-America under the United States wrote:"harassment (either harris-meant or huh-rass-meant) n. the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands. The purposes may vary, including racial prejudice, personal malice, an attempt to force someone to quit a job or grant sexual favors, apply illegal pressure to collect a bill, or merely gain sadistic pleasure from making someone fearful or anxious. Such activities may be the basis for a lawsuit if due to discrimination based on race or sex, a violation on the statutory limitations on collection agencies, involve revenge by an ex-spouse, or be shown to be a form of blackmail ("I'll stop bothering you, if you'll go to bed with me"). The victim may file a petition for a "stay away" (restraining) order, intended to prevent contact by the offensive party. A systematic pattern of harassment by an employee against another worker may subject the employer to a lawsuit for failure to protect the worker. (See: harass, sexual harassment)"

" the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_harassment

You're intentionally using the wrong definition. Intellectual dishonesty is bad, mkay?

"Sexual harassment is bullying or coercion of a sexual nature, or the unwelcome or inappropriate promise of rewards in exchange for sexual favors.[1] "

"Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively dominate others."

"Coercion /koʊˈɜrʃən/ is the practice of forcing another party to act in an involuntary manner by use of intimidation or threats or some other form of pressure or force"

"Where laws surrounding sexual harassment exist, they generally do not prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or minor isolated incidents."

Karlom-Teravanyia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Re: Regarding catcalling...

Postby Karlom-Teravanyia » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:14 am

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:Is catcalling inappropriate? Yes.

We all agree it shouldn't be illegal, however some of us are inclined to believe that it's a compliment of some sort.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:14 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

That's a fair response tbh.
My point is, calling it "Harassment" when it comes from multiple sources is really, really silly. It means most of us have been harassed by society, and frankly, a lot of those "Harassments" are necessary because in the middle of them you get one or two who you think
"Hm, yeh. i'll fuck you, lets go."
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:14 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

Even then that doesn't always work. I think my little bitch takes her time because she knows I want to go to bed.

oh too true

there are times when I have accidentally let my cat out after dark and when I get her back to the door with the bottle shaking thing she suddenly changes her mind and runs away into the dark.

it makes me crazy.
whatever

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:15 am

Pan-America under the United States wrote:
Scomagia wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_harassment

"Sexual harassment is bullying or coercion of a sexual nature, or the unwelcome or inappropriate promise of rewards in exchange for sexual favors.[1] "

"Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively dominate others."

"Coercion /koʊˈɜrʃən/ is the practice of forcing another party to act in an involuntary manner by use of intimidation or threats or some other form of pressure or force"

"Where laws surrounding sexual harassment exist, they generally do not prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or minor isolated incidents."

"The incident may be one time occurrence but more often it has a type of repetitiveness."
"Street harasser: Another type of sexual harassment performed in public places by strangers. Street harassment includes verbal and nonverbal behavior, remarks that are frequently sexual in nature and comment on physical appearance or a person's presence in public"
Last edited by Scomagia on Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Insert trite farewell here

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:17 am

Karlom-Teravanyia wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:Is catcalling inappropriate? Yes.

We all agree it shouldn't be illegal, however some of us are inclined to believe that it's a compliment of some sort.

I can see that people could view it as complimenting, but I view it as rude and unprofessional. I certainly wouldn't want that kind of attention in public.
Keep right -->

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire / "If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it!" - Adolf Hitler

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:18 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

My point is, calling it "Harassment" when it comes from multiple sources is really, really silly. It means most of us have been harassed by society, and frankly, a lot of those "Harassments" are necessary because in the middle of them you get one or two who you think

and you are not realizing that for some women the harassment is severe.

just like not all men harass--the vast majority of men don't--not all women have pleasant experiences with catcalls.
whatever

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:21 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

and you are not realizing that for some women the harassment is severe.

just like not all men harass--the vast majority of men don't--not all women have pleasant experiences with catcalls.

I don't disagree.
Problem is, that's kind of their problem that they have to deal with. Nobody elses.
If I don't like peanuts and people offer me them, I can't flip my shit and say
"Don't you know that some people don't like peanuts!? YOU SHOULD NEVER OFFER ANYONE ANY!!!!"

It's a stupid idea. The only thing that can be done for those women is to let them know that, hey, maybe you should tell people
"I kind of don't like catcalling." when they try it on you, or "No thanks, not my type." or something.
Ostro.MOV

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:21 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
ohforgodssake because a woman walks down the street like it was walking the gauntlet. even if its one disturbing comment per man it is a constant stream of disturbing comments.

that's harassment.

No it isn't.
That's having to deal with being a sexually desirable person.
Whining about privilege because it backfires sometimes.
I'm sure it's very tedious. That's not fucking harassment.
It's tedium.

If it just happened to sexually desirable women (because I don't hear much about men harassing men that way) it would still be harassment. The problem is, it happens to all women, old women, young women, underage girls, homely women, pregnant women, Mama June. The words are different, the effect is the same.

"Hey, old lady, get your ugly ass away from here." - I've heard that before.
"Hey, look at the fat bitch. Hey fatty, you're blocking the view." - I've heard that, too.

I get it, you don't like women - I don't know why (maybe your mommy didn't hug you enough when you were a baby) and I really don't want to. But you could try to be a bit empathic - you know, put yourself in the other's place for a moment. Would you feel particularly secure if, when you walked down the street, you were hit with a barrage of such "tedious" words on a daily basis? Would it please you? Would you find it flattering? Would the constant "tedious" words build you up or wear you down? Would you view the gauntlet with dread day after day after day after day after day...?
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Pan-America under the United States
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pan-America under the United States » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:21 am

Scomagia wrote:
Pan-America under the United States wrote:"Sexual harassment is bullying or coercion of a sexual nature, or the unwelcome or inappropriate promise of rewards in exchange for sexual favors.[1] "

"The incident may be one time occurrence but more often it has a type of repetitiveness."

So, what does that have to do with my post, exactly? You're bringing up sexual harassment, my point is that simple comments on the street isn't harassment. That doesn't exactly disprove my post.

Simple comments doesn't qualify as harassment, they're not threatening to do anything. "Nice ass" and "I'd screw you" isn't a threat. Nor is it coercion. So, it's not harassment.

If you want to say "I'm going to rape you" or "You'll have sex with me one way or another" then that's another story all together, that's a threat. That is harassment.

EDIT: Street harasser seems a lot like slang. Slang doesn't = definition.
Last edited by Pan-America under the United States on Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:22 am

Ashmoria wrote:I dunno

on the one hand you have free speech and the difficulty of crafting a reasonable law that would only affect the bad actors.

on the other hand you have women being harassed day after day while walking down the street, making walking down the street an unpleasant experience.

I see the only rational solution being men calling out other men for being disgusting on the street.

Yes it would be difficult to restrict speech, however you could expand stalking laws so continued conversation after an individual has made it clear he orshe does not wish a conversation may be acceptable if it were narrowly tailored enough.

Men calling men out ? that violates the bro code. Next you will say my boss can't have company trips to the strip club.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:24 am

Novorobo wrote:Okay, so I think we can reasonably agree that catcalling happens pretty often, even if we may disagree on exactly how often. Now the question becomes what to do about it.

Some would suggest making a law against it. Well, trouble with that is you're picking and choosing about what speech counts as free speech. The only other precedent we have to follow is, "if you threaten someone," but feeling threatened and actually BEING threatened are different things. Some people "feel" threatened by seeing someone wearing a hoodie. Others may "feel" threatened by someone wearing a burka. Yet clearly in each case we've sided with freedom of expression over subjectively "feeling" threatened. So why should flirtations on the street be treated any differently?

I'm going to sound stupid here, but what's a catcall?

Enlighten me, elders of the NSG community. :p

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:24 am

greed and death wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:I dunno

on the one hand you have free speech and the difficulty of crafting a reasonable law that would only affect the bad actors.

on the other hand you have women being harassed day after day while walking down the street, making walking down the street an unpleasant experience.

I see the only rational solution being men calling out other men for being disgusting on the street.

Yes it would be difficult to restrict speech, however you could expand stalking laws so continued conversation after an individual has made it clear he orshe does not wish a conversation may be acceptable if it were narrowly tailored enough.

Men calling men out ? that violates the bro code. Next you will say my boss can't have company trips to the strip club.

This I would be fine with.
Like I said, if they continue going after you indicate you don't like it, it's definitely harassment.
Ostro.MOV

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:25 am

We should call people out for catcalling and making unwanted sexual advances. A law is very unnecessary and changes little.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:27 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Pan-America under the United States wrote:LOL, how is telling someone you'd have sex with them implying rape?

If you're talking about someone following you around, then you're talking about the issue of harassment. It'll no longer be about catcalling.

She's just revealed her bigotry.
The mental link between "Man wants sex with me" and "rape" she has is an example of her sexism. that she thinks it's justified to threaten physical violence against people just makes it even worse.

Condescending is one word that comes to mind. Baiting is another. Since condescension isn't a rule violation and baiting is... *** warned for baiting ***. Why is it baiting? These cat-calls are common forms of sexual harassment that feel threatened. Your comment has no purpose other than to anger those who've been victimized, and those who are potential victims.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:28 am

Imsogone wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
No it isn't.
That's having to deal with being a sexually desirable person.
Whining about privilege because it backfires sometimes.
I'm sure it's very tedious. That's not fucking harassment.
It's tedium.

If it just happened to sexually desirable women (because I don't hear much about men harassing men that way) it would still be harassment. The problem is, it happens to all women, old women, young women, underage girls, homely women, pregnant women, Mama June. The words are different, the effect is the same.

"Hey, old lady, get your ugly ass away from here." - I've heard that before.
"Hey, look at the fat bitch. Hey fatty, you're blocking the view." - I've heard that, too.

I get it, you don't like women - I don't know why (maybe your mommy didn't hug you enough when you were a baby) and I really don't want to. But you could try to be a bit empathic - you know, put yourself in the other's place for a moment. Would you feel particularly secure if, when you walked down the street, you were hit with a barrage of such "tedious" words on a daily basis? Would it please you? Would you find it flattering? Would the constant "tedious" words build you up or wear you down? Would you view the gauntlet with dread day after day after day after day after day...?

Just because you don't hear it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The male catcalling video shows that it pretty much is an issue of attractiveness.
Now, if you want to talk about people being insulting in public, that's a seperate issue imo.
I agree society has a problem with thinking it's acceptable to insult people (Especially women) based on their appearance. It's a problem with a lot of factors to it, but it's soluble. This isn't how.
Ostro.MOV

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:31 am

Life would be very inconvenient without catcalling. How else would I summon my cats?

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:35 am

Merizoc wrote:Life would be very inconvenient without catcalling. How else would I summon my cats?

cats are the devil
Keep right -->

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General