NATION

PASSWORD

Netflix CEO: TV broadcasting goes bye bye

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

All Natural France
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Re: Netflix CEO: TV broadcasting goes bye bye

Postby All Natural France » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:36 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
All Natural France wrote:Hmmm, I think I might do that.
But then again, I have to get a damn long one, but still :p
Worth the time and effort to watch NG

They have them at Walmart, for example, or Staples or any other similar store for around $6-$10.

That I know, but my computer is far from my television.
I guess I'm just a lazy ass person. I think I'll get one tomorrow. Everything's closed now.
Welcome to Shakira France. A.K.A: Best country. You will never be above this country
An Agnostic Christian without regards to Sexuality
I do not believe the Bible is a foolproof way to represent Christianity or history.

Pro: Shakira, Rights for everyone, People who self-describe as "Weird", LGBT Rights, Animal Rights, Abortion(In almost all occasions), Acceptance, Secularism, Evolution, etc
Neutral: N/A
Formerly: Nothing. Add 0+ Posts.

Anti: Bible Thumping, Creationism, ISIS, The Bible's inaccuracies, People defining "The Norm", Evangelism with the intent to convert, being labeled with a sexuality, PETA, Theocracy, Anthropocentrism, etc

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:36 pm

Greater Weselton wrote:
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:I don't support these changes. Let's keep things as they are.

My only complaint about television these days would have to be how perverted most of the TV shows are. Even on Netflix, which my relatives love to watch.

Do you think Once Upon a Time is perverted?

Considering the poster in question, I'm sure he thinks My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is perverted.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:37 pm

All Natural France wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
They have them at Walmart, for example, or Staples or any other similar store for around $6-$10.

That I know, but my computer is far from my television.
I guess I'm just a lazy ass person. I think I'll get one tomorrow. Everything's closed now.

If you go to a store tomorrow, you're a champ. :blink:
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Alistan
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Greater Weselton wrote:
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:I don't support these changes. Let's keep things as they are.

My only complaint about television these days would have to be how perverted most of the TV shows are. Even on Netflix, which my relatives love to watch.

Do you think Once Upon a Time is perverted?

You obviously don't watch Suits or Parks and Recreation
Path to Harmony—For a more peaceful tomorrow

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

Your futurologist and transhumanist

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Euphisia wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:He's hopelessly optimistic as there's bandwidth caps and speed caps to prevent the likes of Netflix from consuming the entire internet infrastructure of the US. Secondly, the SEC might come in and try to break up Netflix if it's the only big player in the internet TV business able to make a profit.

Not likely, if they become big enough, it won't get broken up easily if at all. Major examples (obvious too) stand to be the likes of Wal-Mart and Microsoft. Microsoft corners the operating system market, and Wal-Mart spreads like a virus into small American towns and pushes out small time mom and pop shops with ease.

They hold money, which holds politicians and political maneuverability and clout, which holds back what you just described.

On another note, you don't know what the internets infrastructure will be like in 15 years, and can't really even guess.

Note, it's dominated by cable companies who don't want to invest in infrastructure as to maximize profits. As long as it's more profitable to use Cat-5 cables when compared to fiber I don't see the cable companies changing their ways.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

All Natural France
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby All Natural France » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Greater Weselton wrote:Do you think Once Upon a Time is perverted?

Considering the poster in question, I'm sure he thinks My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is perverted.

And furries.
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
All Natural France wrote:That I know, but my computer is far from my television.

Does that I get a medal?
Yay :p
Welcome to Shakira France. A.K.A: Best country. You will never be above this country
I do not believe the Bible is a foolproof way to represent Christianity or history.

Pro: Shakira, Rights for everyone, People who self-describe as "Weird", LGBT Rights, Animal Rights, Abortion(In almost all occasions), Acceptance, Secularism, Evolution, etc

Anti: Bible Thumping, Creationism, ISIS, The Bible's inaccuracies, People defining "The Norm", Evangelism with the intent to convert, being labeled with a sexuality, PETA, Theocracy, Anthropocentrism, etc

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:38 pm

All Natural France wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

And furries.
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Does that I get a medal?

You do, indeed. Image
Slava Ukraini

All Natural France
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby All Natural France » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:40 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
All Natural France wrote:And furries.

Does that I get a medal?

You do, indeed. Image

Yay :pCaw caw day

Euphisia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Euphisia » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Your regular ultra-conservative opinions are in general not looked upon favorably or even entertained by people on this forum as serious but I'll take a swing at it.

Regardless of how much you like it, or want it to stay, it will not stagnate as this is the natural cycle of change, moving from a weaker form of entertainment to a more stable and affordable form that can be realistically implemented.

And saying most shows are perverted is really subject to opinion (yours - obviously irrelevant and extreme), holds no water, and most shows are accepted as normal, because they are.
Last edited by Euphisia on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All Natural France
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby All Natural France » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:44 pm

Watch Hub end up on your list because My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic aired.
Last edited by All Natural France on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:44 pm

God I hope Netflix ends up buying all of the local stations were I live.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Alistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:44 pm

Euphisia wrote:

Your regular ultra-conservative opinions are in general not looked upon favorably or even entertained by people on this forum as serious but I'll take a swing at it.

Regardless of how much you like it, or want it to stay, it will not stagnate as this is the natural cycle of change, moving from a weaker form of entertainment to a more stable and affordable form that can be realistically implemented.

And saying most shows are perverted is really subject to opinion (yours - obviously irrelevant and extreme), holds no water, and most shows are accepted as normal, because they are. P

Basically, people don't give a crap about Archeuland and Baughistan

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:45 pm

Euphisia wrote:

And saying most shows are perverted is really subject to opinion (yours - obviously irrelevant and extreme), holds no water, and most shows are accepted as normal, because they are. P

I couldn't agree more with the bold. Well said.
Slava Ukraini

Euphisia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Euphisia » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:46 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Euphisia wrote:Not likely, if they become big enough, it won't get broken up easily if at all. Major examples (obvious too) stand to be the likes of Wal-Mart and Microsoft. Microsoft corners the operating system market, and Wal-Mart spreads like a virus into small American towns and pushes out small time mom and pop shops with ease.

They hold money, which holds politicians and political maneuverability and clout, which holds back what you just described.

On another note, you don't know what the internets infrastructure will be like in 15 years, and can't really even guess.

Note, it's dominated by cable companies who don't want to invest in infrastructure as to maximize profits. As long as it's more profitable to use Cat-5 cables when compared to fiber I don't see the cable companies changing their ways.

If consumers want it, they can change it. Or eventually someone will offer something akin to what we will need, make massive profit off of the expansion of business due to the immediate investment made on the new infrastructure and stomp every other company to the point where they're either submissive and bankrupt, or will save themselves and offer the equivalent or better. Such is business. Someone will take an opportunity, and we both know that is probably true. Now however I will admit 2030 may seem far fetched for a time frame.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:48 pm

Euphisia wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:Note, it's dominated by cable companies who don't want to invest in infrastructure as to maximize profits. As long as it's more profitable to use Cat-5 cables when compared to fiber I don't see the cable companies changing their ways.

If consumers want it, they can change it. Or eventually someone will offer something akin to what we will need, make massive profit off of the expansion of business due to the immediate investment made on the new infrastructure and stomp every other company to the point where they're either submissive and bankrupt, or will save themselves and offer the equivalent or better. Such is business. Someone will take an opportunity, and we both know that is probably true. Now however I will admit 2030 may seem far fetched for a time frame.

They have more lobbying money than 90% of Americans would have combined.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Alistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Euphisia wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:Note, it's dominated by cable companies who don't want to invest in infrastructure as to maximize profits. As long as it's more profitable to use Cat-5 cables when compared to fiber I don't see the cable companies changing their ways.

Skynet...oh I mean Google, yes Google! hahaha

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:00 pm

TV will still be around for news, sports and casual TV shows like Storage Wars and those Food channel shows. I have both Netflix and cable TV. They're both good for different things. Radio is still around even though downloading of music is very common.

Text People
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Text People » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Nothing has yet totally replaced or eliminated movie theatres, concerts, or radio. All of these were predicted to be dead soon, one time or another, because X was gonna replace them.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:42 pm

I stopped watching broadcast TV because of advertising and turned to Netflix because it is ad free. So, this cat might have a point.
Insert trite farewell here

Cresilia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cresilia » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:04 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I don't know about a complete demise of TV broadcasting (people still enjoy watching it, the news for example) but I personally prefer Netflix to watching regular TV.

I miss the news, but for everything else Netflix (even Canadian Netflix *shudders*) is better.
The Republic of Cresilia

Norstal wrote:NORTH KOREAN JUCHE

Cows? You no have cows. You get picture of Glorious Leader to eat instead.

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:24 pm

The radio's still up. The military still uses morse code. Vinyl records still exist. Movie theatres still exist. People still put on plays. Magazines and newspapers still exist. They still print books.
His prediction seems unlikely to me.
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:49 pm

I watch both. Mainly because I like to just flip channels sometimes, rather than deciding to watch something.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:51 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Greater Weselton wrote:Do you think Once Upon a Time is perverted?

Once Upon a Time is perverted in the sense that it's the Evil Mouse Empire ripping off Fables.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Jordsindia
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Jordsindia » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:52 pm

I watch TV all the time. due to the fact that we lack a Netflix subscription/ internet TV.
Represent

American and Proud!

10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name!

-∮ The Crumpet Cult ∮-

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:57 pm

Jordsindia wrote:I watch TV all the time. due to the fact that we lack a Netflix subscription/ internet TV.

Public television and local news will still exist for one.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General