NATION

PASSWORD

Netflix CEO: TV broadcasting goes bye bye

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Alistan
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Netflix CEO: TV broadcasting goes bye bye

Postby Alistan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:04 pm

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/netflix-ceo-says-broadcast-tv-will-dead-16-years/

During a speech Monday in Mexico City regarding Netflix’s burgeoning presence in Latin America, CEO Reed Hastings explained how broadcast television will be another casualty of evolution. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Hastings claimed “broadcast TV will probably last until 2030,” painting broadcast TV as “kind of like the horse — you know, the horse was good until we had the car.”

Hastings has been spreading the gospel of broadcast TV’s demise for years. Back in April 2013, in an 11-page document posted on Netflix’s website, the maverick CEO predicted a world with no channel bundles and that “over the coming decades internet TV will replace linear TV.” In the year and half since the document was posted, HBO, Showtime and CBS have all announced standalone apps, while satellite provider Dish Network is preparing an over-the-top Internet pay-TV service featuring bundles of Disney-owned properties like ESPN as well as A&E and others.

Ad revenue for broadcast television has been turbulent at best, with 2011-2012 being the only time period in the past 10 years where ad revenue experienced consecutive years of growth. As a result, advertisers are predicted to spend more on digital platforms than television in two years.

Hastings also began discrediting the building blocks of broadcast television: TV ratings. He remarked that Nielsen’s upcoming ratings system for SVOD services like Netflix and Amazon Prime are “not very relevant” because the rating system does not take into account mobile video consumption. Netflix notoriously does not reveal viewership numbers for its original programming. In 2012, chief content officer Ted Sarandos explained to Harvey Weinstein that Netflix believes disclosing ratings “creates a benchmark that is irrelevant to the business but sexy and exciting to write about and puts a lot of performance pressure on shows that otherwise will be great shows over time.”

In other words, “We’re not telling.”

Hastings did not mention what data leads him to postulate a 2030 death of broadcast networks, but the vision is not his alone. Cisco Systems surveyed 50 television experts in 2011 on the future of television and discovered conventional TV viewing will be extinct by 2030.

I don't know about you NSGers, but I noticed a trend where people stopped watching TV, and instead, use the internet to stream movies for free. I used to watch TV regularly in my childhood, waking up to go watch some show on Cartoon Network or to get to the weather channel every morning before I go to school. I know that the television itself will somehow be dead by holographic screens eventually, but I'm not sure about 30 years that it took it long for internet TV to replace broadcasting, I am pretty sure it takes longer than 30 years for television broadcasting, because it's not what's gonna happen in 30 years, I mean anything could happen, or even televisions itself are dead. The Netflix CEO is just trying to kill broadcasting, only to be replaced by the even worse internet broadcasting company Netflix, especially the Canadian Netflix.

So what do you say NSGers?
What do you think of the CEO's position?
And what are your comments about TV broadcasting?
Any of you watch Netflix, and what's your overall opinion on Netflix (quality, content, price, the company itself)
Last edited by Alistan on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Path to Harmony—For a more peaceful tomorrow

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

Your futurologist and transhumanist

Solaray
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:06 pm

I live in an area where streaming anything bigger than a YouTube video isn't practical due to Internet limitations. I watch TV regularly.
Sig closed for construction.

Est. completion date: Summer 2054

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:07 pm

He's hopelessly optimistic as there's bandwidth caps and speed caps to prevent the likes of Netflix from consuming the entire internet infrastructure of the US. Secondly, the SEC might come in and try to break up Netflix if it's the only big player in the internet TV business able to make a profit.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:08 pm

I don't know about a complete demise of TV broadcasting (people still enjoy watching it, the news for example) but I personally prefer Netflix to watching regular TV.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Alistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I don't know about a complete demise of TV broadcasting (people still enjoy watching it, the news for example) but I personally prefer Netflix to watching regular TV.

Like, its probably more than 30 years when TV broadcasting will become extinct

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Solaray wrote:I live in an area where streaming anything bigger than a YouTube video isn't practical due to Internet limitations. I watch TV regularly.

I'm admitting that Netflix will be killed by the rural markets and the cable providers if they try this idea of killing television broadcasting. Those cable providers are a lot bigger when combined than Netflix is.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Alistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:13 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:17 pm

Alistan wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I don't know about a complete demise of TV broadcasting (people still enjoy watching it, the news for example) but I personally prefer Netflix to watching regular TV.

Like, its probably more than 30 years when TV broadcasting will become extinct

I can't even hazard a guess at a timeline but I've noticed a lot of people choosing to drop cable TV and get Netflix or Hulu. Netflix, for example, is cheaper than cable TV and you control what you watch and when you want to watch it. With Netflix, for example, there are no commercial breaks and you can watch movies and documentaries and series when you want, how you want and pretty much anywhere with either your smartphone or tablet when connected to WiFi. I find it incredibly handy and better than cable TV.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:18 pm

I believe they've gotten greedy enough that the cable companies are trying to get rid of net neutrality in hopes of killing Netflix. And if they can't do that... they can always weaken the infrastructure for the internet as to be too slow for Netflix to operate properly.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Greater Weselton
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Weselton » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:20 pm

It is unfortunate regular television will no longer be around. I have better things to do on the internet.
I am not a Nazi in real life.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)
If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!
Proud Member of theConfederation of Sovereign Nations

Alistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:21 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:

I believe they've gotten greedy enough that the cable companies are trying to get rid of net neutrality in hopes of killing Netflix. And if they can't do that... they can always weaken the infrastructure for the internet as to be too slow for Netflix to operate properly.

But eventually the internet is gonna kill television.
Replaced by telescreens....

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:22 pm

Alistan wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I believe they've gotten greedy enough that the cable companies are trying to get rid of net neutrality in hopes of killing Netflix. And if they can't do that... they can always weaken the infrastructure for the internet as to be too slow for Netflix to operate properly.

But eventually the internet is gonna kill television.
Replaced by telescreens....

As long as cable companies are internet providers, we're likely to see Netflix and the internet not kill television.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Archeuland and Baughistan
Minister

Founded: Aug 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Archeuland and Baughistan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:25 pm

I don't support these changes. Let's keep things as they are.

My only complaint about television these days would have to be how perverted most of the TV shows are. Even on Netflix, which my relatives love to watch.
Standing on the truth of God's word and the gospel.
Learn more about the true history of the world here.
You must be born again? What does that mean?
Islam, the religion of peace? What does history tell us?
The Israelites were "genocidal"? No they weren't!
Agenda 21 map - it affects us all!
Let's rebuild Noah's Ark to serve as a reminder about the true history of Earth!
Proud Foreign Minister of the Christian Liberty Alliance

☩Founder of the Alliance of Protestant Nations - Join today! Learn more here

Alistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:26 pm

No more bullshit news media like Fox News....

All Natural France
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Re: Netflix CEO: TV broadcasting goes bye bye

Postby All Natural France » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:27 pm

Well, I think it would be horrible. I need my television, more specifically, National Geographic and the News. :p
Welcome to Shakira France. A.K.A: Best country. You will never be above this country
An Agnostic Christian without regards to Sexuality
I do not believe the Bible is a foolproof way to represent Christianity or history.

Pro: Shakira, Rights for everyone, People who self-describe as "Weird", LGBT Rights, Animal Rights, Abortion(In almost all occasions), Acceptance, Secularism, Evolution, etc
Neutral: N/A
Formerly: Nothing. Add 0+ Posts.

Anti: Bible Thumping, Creationism, ISIS, The Bible's inaccuracies, People defining "The Norm", Evangelism with the intent to convert, being labeled with a sexuality, PETA, Theocracy, Anthropocentrism, etc

Archeuland and Baughistan
Minister

Founded: Aug 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Archeuland and Baughistan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:27 pm

Alistan wrote:No more bullshit news media like Fox News....

Fox News has a website, you know. The news media will just switch to the Internet if cable goes down.
Standing on the truth of God's word and the gospel.
Learn more about the true history of the world here.
You must be born again? What does that mean?
Islam, the religion of peace? What does history tell us?
The Israelites were "genocidal"? No they weren't!
Agenda 21 map - it affects us all!
Let's rebuild Noah's Ark to serve as a reminder about the true history of Earth!
Proud Foreign Minister of the Christian Liberty Alliance

☩Founder of the Alliance of Protestant Nations - Join today! Learn more here

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:28 pm

All Natural France wrote:Well, I think it would be horrible. I need my television, more specifically, National Geographic and the News. :p

You can watch NG documentaries and shows online.
Slava Ukraini

All Natural France
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Re: Netflix CEO: TV broadcasting goes bye bye

Postby All Natural France » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
All Natural France wrote:Well, I think it would be horrible. I need my television, more specifically, National Geographic and the News. :p

Ehh, I rather sit down.
I get distracted on the computer, or any sort of thing that allows me to connect to the internet.
I prefer Television, but computer isn't that bad. I just need a bigger screen and more memory to have high definition :p
Last edited by All Natural France on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Shakira France. A.K.A: Best country. You will never be above this country
I do not believe the Bible is a foolproof way to represent Christianity or history.

Pro: Shakira, Rights for everyone, People who self-describe as "Weird", LGBT Rights, Animal Rights, Abortion(In almost all occasions), Acceptance, Secularism, Evolution, etc

Anti: Bible Thumping, Creationism, ISIS, The Bible's inaccuracies, People defining "The Norm", Evangelism with the intent to convert, being labeled with a sexuality, PETA, Theocracy, Anthropocentrism, etc

Alistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:30 pm

But it also mean once you stream on the internet, you basically waste your life with.... you guessed it: ADS.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:31 pm

All Natural France wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Ehh, I rather sit down.
I get distracted on the computer, or any sort of thing that allows me to connect to the internet.
I prefer Television, but computer isn't that bad. I just need a bigger screen and more memory to have high definition :p

Pipe it to your TV. We do it with our TV constantly when we're streaming something online. All you need is a monitor cable.
Slava Ukraini

Alistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:32 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
All Natural France wrote:Ehh, I rather sit down.

Pipe it to your TV. We do it with our TV constantly when we're streaming something online. All you need is a monitor cable.

HDMI my friends...HDMI everywhere
But I prefer watching the live coverage of the Olympics and FIFA, not with slow internet and annoying ads.
Last edited by Alistan on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All Natural France
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby All Natural France » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
All Natural France wrote:Ehh, I rather sit down.

Hmmm, I think I might do that.
But then again, I have to get a damn long one, but still :p
Worth the time and effort to watch NG

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:35 pm

All Natural France wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Hmmm, I think I might do that.
But then again, I have to get a damn long one, but still :p
Worth the time and effort to watch NG

They have them at Walmart, for example, or Staples or any other similar store for around $6-$10.
Slava Ukraini

Euphisia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Euphisia » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:35 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:He's hopelessly optimistic as there's bandwidth caps and speed caps to prevent the likes of Netflix from consuming the entire internet infrastructure of the US. Secondly, the SEC might come in and try to break up Netflix if it's the only big player in the internet TV business able to make a profit.

Not likely, if they become big enough, it won't get broken up easily if at all. Major examples (obvious too) stand to be the likes of Wal-Mart and Microsoft. Microsoft corners the operating system market, and Wal-Mart spreads like a virus into small American towns and pushes out small time mom and pop shops with ease.

They hold money, which holds politicians and political maneuverability and clout, which holds back what you just described.

On another note, you don't know what the internets infrastructure will be like in 15 years, and can't really even guess.

Greater Weselton
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Weselton » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:35 pm

Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:I don't support these changes. Let's keep things as they are.

My only complaint about television these days would have to be how perverted most of the TV shows are. Even on Netflix, which my relatives love to watch.

Do you think Once Upon a Time is perverted?
I am not a Nazi in real life.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)
If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!
Proud Member of theConfederation of Sovereign Nations

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General