NATION

PASSWORD

Tell me Brother: How Much Gold is Worth this Much Tar?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you take the job?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes : 110

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Insaeldor » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:12 pm

People choose to fill there lungs with tar and I can choose to be rich. I think I'll take the $150,000 a year and keep on letting people make there own choices.
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Kernen wrote:That shouldn't matter to a prospective employee. Personal beliefs aren't to interfere with professional appraisal of ability. And the position you described sounds like excellent proof of ability to me.

I guarantee you... if on your resume you say that you've worked for a tobacco company... almost ANY interviewer is going to bring it up.

And they WILL ask you the moral questions.

You're going to have an awkward time.

No one is just going to gloss it over, it will probably be the most interesting thing on your resume. And it is going to elicit all types of responses, I suspect disgust and suspicion in many cases. They will definitely ask you, and whatever answer you give... it will probably count against you unless they are really desperate.

Not really.

Most common questions an employer asks you about the job (in no particular order):

What did you do?
What did you like about the job?
How do you think this job prepared you for the position for which you are applying?
Who is your supervisor?
Can we call them for a reference?
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Blazedtown wrote:I would take the position in a heartbeat.

So would I.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:16 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
I guarantee you... if on your resume you say that you've worked for a tobacco company... almost ANY interviewer is going to bring it up.

And they WILL ask you the moral questions.

You're going to have an awkward time.

No one is just going to gloss it over, it will probably be the most interesting thing on your resume. And it is going to elicit all types of responses, I suspect disgust and suspicion in many cases. They will definitely ask you, and whatever answer you give... it will probably count against you unless they are really desperate.

Not really.

Most common questions an employer asks you about the job (in no particular order):

What did you do?
How do you think this job prepared you for the position for which you are applying?
Who is your supervisor?

so if you were interviewing a candidate to work at your company (and he mentions on his resume that he worked in management at a tobacco company)... you WOULDN'T ask him a moral question about it?

Aren't you interested in seeing if his personal morals, values, and motivations are in line with your personal beliefs and your company's?

I'd definitely ask.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:21 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Not really.

What did you do?
Who is your supervisor?

so if you were interviewing a candidate to work at your company (and he mentions on his resume that he worked in management at a tobacco company)... you WOULDN'T ask him a moral question about it?

Aren't you interested in seeing if his personal morals, values, and motivations are in line with your personal beliefs and your company's?

I'd definitely ask.

I wouldn't, really.

We all work for money. I see the tobacco workers as simple workers. They are in my company to do as I say, not for me to gauge their morals regarding the tobacco industry.

Now, that I would ask his personal morals, values, and motivations? Maybe, but I wouldn't ask stupid questions regarding his job and his morals and how they both conflict.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:you WOULDN'T ask him a moral question about it?

Maybe Soldati doesn't view adults as children and believes they're capable of making decisions for themselves.

A strange form of thought, I know.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:24 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

I'd definitely ask.

I wouldn't, really.

We all work for money. I see the tobacco workers as simple workers. They are in my company to do as I say, not for me to gauge their morals regarding the tobacco industry.

Now, that I would ask his personal morals, values, and motivations? Maybe, but I wouldn't ask stupid questions regarding his job and his morals and how they both conflict.

I wish law firm interviewers thought like you.

Its almost impossible to get a job with them without pretending you are overly enthusiastic about their firm's values, ethics, and culture. They ask all sorts of casual conversational questions to test your wit, morals, and character predisposition.

Heck if I showed up with TOBACCO at the top of my resume, I'm going to be peppered with questions from them for sure.

We have a very different understanding of what employers ask at interviews. My experiences tell me they generally find a few of the most interesting things on your resume and then ask you about them in detail... just to see what you reveal on purpose or accidentally.

If people were saying what they're saying on this forum (''I did it for the money,'' ''it's just like any other business... people choose to smoke, I choose to be rich'') I doubt they would get hired.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:25 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:you WOULDN'T ask him a moral question about it?

Maybe Soldati doesn't view adults as children and believes they're capable of making decisions for themselves.

A strange form of thought, I know.

maybe

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
I wouldn't, really.

Its almost impossible to get a job with them without pretending you are overly enthusiastic about their firm's values, ethics, and culture. They ask all sorts of casual conversational questions to test your wit, morals, and character predisposition.

Heck if I showed up with TOBACCO at the top of my resume, I'm going to be peppered with questions from them for sure.

We have a very different understanding of what employers ask at interviews. My experiences tell me they generally find a few of the most interesting things on your resume and then ask you about them in detail... just to see what you reveal on purpose or accidentally.

If people were saying what they're saying on this forum (''I did it for the money,'' ''it's just like any other business... people choose to smoke, I choose to be rich'') I doubt they would get hired.

No more would they inquire about that then they inquired about my participation in a paramilitary organization recently noted for homosexual discrimination and atheist intolerance: Boy Scouts. And my interviewer, and now boss, is openly gay. Didn't once come up, because the only morals businesses are about are in the vein of "will you steal from us?". Whether I agreed or disagreed with the official stance of the BSA never came up.

Interviewers don't Care, because it isn't a moral issue.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Lenciland
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenciland » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:39 pm

Of course I'd take the job. I like money and a lot of people enjoy cigarettes. They are exchanging money for my goods.
Quotes:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
Lenciland wrote:No there is no Messiah only the Misoiah and that is the Greta One. Bombadil and I am his prophet.

Misoyah Heathens, there is only the one true Ass.
Lo, for his prophet Andy Kaufman came down from on high, to show the ways of the troll.

Karlsreich wrote:And on the fourth day, God created Saturn. And he liked it. So he put a ring on it.

C is for colonies. Rightly we boast. That of all the great nations. Great Britain has the most.
Lenciland & Saint Kitten, neighbors in Hell.
Cthulu be praised!!

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Kernen wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

No more would they inquire about that then they inquired about my participation in a paramilitary organization recently noted for homosexual discrimination and atheist intolerance: Boy Scouts. And my interviewer, and now boss, is openly gay. Didn't once come up, because the only morals businesses are about are in the vein of "will you steal from us?". Whether I agreed or disagreed with the official stance of the BSA never came up.

Interviewers don't Care, because it isn't a moral issue.

i don't think they would draw an inference on your moral character based on your sexuality or political views.

But the fact that you were willing to work for an organization that specializes in selling addictive drugs should have some bearing. I think at least some reasonable people would draw some moral inferences from it.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:56 pm

Lenciland wrote:Of course I'd take the job. I like money and a lot of people enjoy cigarettes. They are exchanging money for my goods.

what about arms dealing, narcotics, prostitution, gambling?

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014

Postby Insaeldor » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:01 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Lenciland wrote:Of course I'd take the job. I like money and a lot of people enjoy cigarettes. They are exchanging money for my goods.

As long as they are done in a legal manner I don't think we really care. Plus arms deal for the slaughtering of people and choosing to inhale a harmful substance are two totally different things.
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:03 pm

Insaeldor wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

As long as they are done in a legal manner I don't think we really care. Plus arms deal for the slaughtering of people and choosing to inhale a harmful substance are two totally different things.

in both cases you're intentionally selling a product that a person can reasonably foresee will result in injury/death.

Almost all long-term smokers (and they will become addicted) will develop some related health issues if not die or get cancer.

Rhodisia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodisia » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:08 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:the sale of an addictive and health-destroying products through the multiplication of addicts (many of whom come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds)?

generally, inhaling the combustion products of anything isn't very good for your health - by this logic, we should ban weed, crack, campfires, incinerators, coal plants etc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pro: Sortition, gold standard, small and efficient government, concise laws, community policing, responsible private gun ownership, school choice, absolutely free market, low taxes, net neutrality, press freedom, etc

Against: Dynasties, fiat currency, excessive bureaucracy, verbose laws, police militarization, gun control, state-only education, crony capitalism, high taxes, net non-neutrality, censorship, empire, etc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trevor Phillip Enterprises
Minister

Founded: Oct 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Trevor Phillip Enterprises » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:12 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:Before I started this thread, I had no idea money was such a powerful force.

I mean, I knew that gold wins wars... and that the man who pays often wins but I did not expect THIS much level of fixation on the money.

We truly live in a very capitalist age.

I think if you asked people for a lower (but still bearable) position, they wouldn't mind taking the job. The money doesn't compel people to take the job (so much so that they ditch their morals), but its that they have no moral objections to tobacco companies to begin with.
Currently being edited by Pablo Escobar since Thu Jul 09, 1983 10:37 am.
CALLING ALL ANTI-PONYISTS!
-∮ The Crumpet Cult ∮-

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:36 pm

Rhodisia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:the sale of an addictive and health-destroying products through the multiplication of addicts (many of whom come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds)?

generally, inhaling the combustion products of anything isn't very good for your health - by this logic, we should ban weed, crack, campfires, incinerators, coal plants etc

only to the extent that they are sold directly to the consumer as a form of addictive recreational drug

Atomic Utopia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atomic Utopia » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:08 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Rhodisia wrote:generally, inhaling the combustion products of anything isn't very good for your health - by this logic, we should ban weed, crack, campfires, incinerators, coal plants etc

only to the extent that they are sold directly to the consumer as a form of addictive recreational drug

So having someone voluntarily purchase something that may kill them eventually is worse than selling people stuff produced with the high probability it killed others? That is some pretty messed up logic there.
Fabulously bisexual.
Note: I do not use NS stats for my RP, instead I use numbers I made up one evening when writing my factbooks.

sudo rm -rf /, the best file compression around.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:45 am

Atomic Utopia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

So having someone voluntarily purchase something that may kill them eventually is worse than selling people stuff produced with the high probability it killed others? That is some pretty messed up logic there.

are you talking about weapons?

Stormaen
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 15, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Stormaen » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:52 am

Hell yes I'd take the job!

I wouldn't feel bad about it either. Smoking is voluntary. It may be addictive but it is voluntary. People know what they're doing when they smoke. Same with crack or heroin.

Anyway, at 150K per year, you could bleed that job for all it's worth and then quit on ethical grounds once you'd paid off your mortgage on your giant house... :P
Falklands Forever! “Malvinas” Never!
Free West Papua

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:33 am

Geilinor wrote:
Untaroicht wrote:I'd take it in a heartbeat! I'm turning 18 in about 4 weeks, and I'm planning to start cigar smoking then myself (like I have dreamed of since I've been, like, 4 years old).

Everybody likes to shit on the tobacco companies, but I think they're flat out hypocrites. You drink liquor? You eat fast food? you ever owned a night light (which is said to cause cancer)? They're all bad for you too. STFU and let me puff in peace!

You've dreamed of smoking since you were 4?

Maybe he read some of those Lucky Luke comics...

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Founded: May 17, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:00 am

Honestly, I would. Just make sure there are breaks for me to get on NS.
In old dinky Lithuania, 150k is like, a dream job. Not even our highest politicians get a third of that.
Last edited by Finland SSR on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:06 am

An interesting question. I dislike tobacco, and I don't understand why anyone uses it (Yes, I know, it's because they're addicted, but why did they use it the first time?)
That said, 150k is several times what I make now. If people know the risks and decide to buy it anyway, that's more their problem than mine. Sure, I'm kind of empowering them to abuse tobacco, but if I didn't do it, someone else would, so I might as well get a six digit salary out of it.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013

Postby Gallia- » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:08 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Insaeldor wrote:As long as they are done in a legal manner I don't think we really care. Plus arms deal for the slaughtering of people and choosing to inhale a harmful substance are two totally different things.

in both cases you're intentionally selling a product that a person can reasonably foresee will result in injury/death.

Almost all long-term smokers (and they will become addicted) will develop some related health issues if not die or get cancer.

So does everyone else.

Imperium Sidhicum
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Sidhicum » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:37 am

An arms dealer doesn't pull the trigger or force another man to pull it, nor does he put a weapon in the hands of someone and encourages him to kill other people - he merely provides a commodity (weapons) to people who have already made the choice to use it. Same is true for tobacco - a tobacco company doesn't make anyone smoke and die of lung cancer, but merely supplies what people choose to pay for. Since there's the element of free personal choice, I don't quite see what is unethical about working for such a company.

Not to mention that tobacco companies aren't really interested in smokers dying early - or who else would be their customers?
Freedom doesn't mean being able to do as one please, but rather not to do as one doesn't please.

A fool sees religion as the truth. A smart man sees religion as a lie. A ruler sees religion as a useful tool.

The more God in one's mouth, the less in one's heart.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General