NATION

PASSWORD

Welcome to TET - Closed Minds Need Not Apply

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:09 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:

A return of Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill is certainly interesting.

I wonder how good this film is going to be under Disney. Although since George Lucas is going to be involved I bet it is not going to disappoint.

George Lucas' contributions are good when he is controlled. When he is contained and told "No, this is fucking stupid and you should feel bad".

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:43 pm

I can't help but feel rather... how should I say... uncertain about the Ferguson MO verdict.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:44 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I can't help but feel rather... how should I say... uncertain about the Ferguson MO verdict.

Nana! :hug:

What happened with the Ferguson verdict?
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I can't help but feel rather... how should I say... uncertain about the Ferguson MO verdict.

Not indicted, or no true bill in legal terms as American NSers have explained to me.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 pm

:hug:

The Grand Jury said there was insufficient evidence to support the indictment of the police officer that shot and killed 18 yo Michael Brown in Ferguson MO.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:52 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

The Grand Jury said there was insufficient evidence to support the indictment of the police officer that shot and killed 18 yo Michael Brown in Ferguson MO.

Well, as far as I know Grand Juries are a "testing ground" for lawyers in a case.

If there's a "no bill" the prosecutor of the State doesn't push the case to the courts. I mean, the prosecutor can, but it's not adviced.

In the case of Missouri, a no bill might be different, but the prosecution can't and shouldn't go with it because lawyers seek to win cases, not to lose them.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:56 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Well, as far as I know Grand Juries are a "testing ground" for lawyers in a case.

If there's a "no bill" the prosecutor of the State doesn't push the case to the courts. I mean, the prosecutor can, but it's not adviced.

In the case of Missouri, a no bill might be different, but the prosecution can't and shouldn't go with it because lawyers seek to win cases, not to lose them.

At least this was left open for the FBI to compare information with possible federal charges to see if, under federal law, any infractions may have been committed.
Slava Ukraini

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:00 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

At least this was left open for the FBI to compare information with possible federal charges to see if, under federal law, any infractions may have been committed.

That's the right move that should be done in this case.

People often forget that Grand Juries are not professionals. They're people like you and me, and we're also prone to be swayed by convincing arguments and evidence that supports the arguments.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:01 pm

That thread is giving me a headache.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:02 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

People often forget that Grand Juries are not professionals. They're people like you and me, and we're also prone to be swayed by convincing arguments and evidence that supports the arguments.

I just can't shake the feeling that this wasn't handled properly.
Slava Ukraini

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:03 pm

Good God. That poor family needs support now more than ever.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:04 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I feel like there might have been a procedural error, given the fact that with the available evidence in the case it should have at least gone past the GJ.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:05 pm

Mavorpen wrote:That thread is giving me a headache.

I'm trying to follow.

And all I can do is see how both sides are duking it out in that thread.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:06 pm

I'm trying to follow.

I predict it'll be locked before the week's out. Hell, maybe before Thanksgiving.
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:06 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:Good God. That poor family needs support now more than ever.

I agree.

I wouldn't say I agree with the riots though.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:06 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I feel like there might have been a procedural error, given the fact that with the available evidence in the case it should have at least gone past the GJ.

I think the ''witnesses'' that first told one story and then retracted their testimonies may have done harm to the case.
Slava Ukraini

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:07 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:Good God. That poor family needs support now more than ever.

I agree.

I wouldn't say I agree with the riots though.

Nobody sensible does. Neither do many of the other protesters.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:07 pm

I'm trying to follow.

I'm mostly annoyed because there's something MUCH more important that should be discussed: how Ferguson should go about fixing their obviously flawed police system, and how this needs to be addressed on a national scale.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
I'm trying to follow.

I'm mostly annoyed because there's something MUCH more important that should be discussed: how Ferguson should go about fixing their obviously flawed police system, and how this needs to be addressed on a national scale.

Indeed. Alas, it is America after all, so we shouldn't expect a whole hell of a lot.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:12 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
I'm trying to follow.

Indeed.

The main issue is that our system still operates, sadly, under a racial profiling system all over the country.

If you're a minority and poor you have statistically more chances to be wrongfully tried than a member of the majority in the same socioeconomic position, even though the UCRs show the data otherwise.

Either that, or for your case to be completely vilified if the aggressor managed to kill you.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:13 pm

Well, time for me to go to bed. G'night.

Mavorpen wrote:I'm mostly annoyed because there's something MUCH more important that should be discussed: how Ferguson should go about fixing their obviously flawed police system, and how this needs to be addressed on a national scale.

Indeed.

The main issue is that our system still operates, sadly, under a racial profiling system all over the country.

If you're a minority and poor you have statistically more chances to be wrongfully tried than a member of the majority in the same socioeconomic position, even though the UCRs show the data otherwise.

Either that, or for your case to be completely vilified if the aggressor managed to kill you.

Bravo.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:14 pm

Mavorpen wrote:I'm mostly annoyed because there's something MUCH more important that should be discussed: how Ferguson should go about fixing their obviously flawed police system, and how this needs to be addressed on a national scale.

Indeed.

Who are we referring to now? There's been too many in recent years.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:15 pm

Indeed.

It's even more alarming to see the statistics. Young black men have the short end of the stick here.
Slava Ukraini

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:21 pm

Indeed.

It doesn't help that we have people in the country insisting that racism no longer exists and that we should be "colorblind," which is nothing more than a code word for "do nothing so that the system can continue to be fucked up, but hey, at least I pretended like I actually care."

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Indeed.

It's even more alarming to see the statistics. Young black men have the short end of the stick here.

Indeed.

It doesn't mean that all minorities are less harmed by this racial profiling though.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives